All member reviews for Brave

Mother-daughter princess tale has some very scary scenes.

Parent of a 8 year old Written bychimchimcherie July 4, 2012

One of the best Pixar movies!

This movie was fantastic! There was great action, Merida's little brothers were very funny and it was just a fun movie. My 6-year-old brother was a little scared of the ferocious bear in the beginning of the movie.
Teen, 15 years old Written bygilly_boy July 3, 2012

Can be touching.

I just have one main problem, two scenes had nudity. Nothing major, mostly guys and one girl caught without clothes and another scene where a bear boy slipping into the upper part of a women's dress, where head goes through. I have to say, there was one scene that was really touching, it brought me to tears which doesn't happen often. If a movie makes me cry then it's a watch from me. Merida really tried so hard to fix her mistake but she should've really thought more carefully on the wording. Something like "I want a spell to change my mother's mind in the idea of getting married." That's just my thought, go and watch the movie; see what you think.
Teen, 14 years old Written byhunterkjones July 3, 2012

Excellent for families and teens – ★★★★★

While the storyline was painfully cliché, the character development and presentation of this new family flick makes it the best Pixar film since its acquirement by Disney.
Parent of a 8 and 11 year old Written bysarafmc July 3, 2012

Powerful new fairy tale, but not for the little ones!

I have never seen a mother-daughter movie I enjoyed more than this one. Both characters are strong believable individuals with clear (and conflicting) identities, strengths, and weaknesses. The story is rooted in Celtic tradition, beautifully researched and executed, but it is not a retelling of any obvious princess story, it is an original with strong traditional elements. My 11 year old son loved it and said it wasn't scary at all. My 8 year old daughter loved it but said parts were a little too scary. Parts of it made me jump out of my seat, and the violence is significant and serious, it feels very life and death in places, including the chance that the mother might kill the daughter if she loses control. Please be careful and don't push it because your older child wants to go. I saw people bringing preschoolers in, and then having to take them out crying, and young school-age children on parents' laps, hiding their eyes. I think that probably the best audience for this movie is 10 and up, and the women and girls may respond most strongly to it (my mother also came along and loved it).
Parent Written byLove my daughter July 3, 2012

What part of this kids actions were "brave"?

I would be remiss if I didn't start with the concept that really bugged the most about this movie. That is the idea that this girl was not getting her way so she poisons her mother (with a witches cursed cake). How is this "brave"? The message as I see it is, "hey kids, if you're not getting things the way you want them and what you're being asked to do isn't fun go ahead and strike out in harmful ways at your parents even if you don't fully understand the consequences or the reasons your parents are doing what they are doing." Otherwise, it's kind of dark and violent for a Disney princess movie. Lots of fighting and a scary demon bear. There was also nude CGI man butts and some copious cleavage which I thought were all unneeded, along with a butt pinch and some rolling around kissing while the woman was nude under a blanket. Overall not a bad story, and it was visually wonderful. Amazing what they can do with CGI these days. Very realistic. Overall, I think it's better than some Disney efforts but maybe not really for younger kids who aren't used to the violence.
Adult Written byhoffmans71 July 3, 2012

SAVE YOUR MONEY AND STAY HOME

This is terrible!!! We didn't even last the whole movie. I didn't see overwhelming scariness, what I did UNFORTUNATELY see was multiple adult male naked bottoms, and a little bear dive toward a woman bossom for a hidden key. Not appropriate and a pathetic excuse for a Disney film. Also the daughter wasn't brave but she was massively disrespectful and irresponsible.
Parent Written by2012MOMof2 July 3, 2012

Questionable

I liked the concept at first. The princess seemed brave and strong willed. But even a strong willed child needs to bow at times to their parents. In this movie - Merida was more defiant and disrespectful than anything. When her mother told her not to shoot the third arrow and she did anyways - it came off as very disrespectul and defiant in my opinion. The housemaids bustline and the mens bottoms were not necessary, but I was able to overlook it. I guess the animators felt it was important to make small children aware that Scottish/Irish men do not traditionall wear underwear under their kitls. OK. But when the road to getting what she wanted led to a witches doorstep and a request to change her mother, that was a bit too much for me. The message that it gave was that children can change their parents into what they want, by any means they choose. In the end, Mireda did get what she wanted out of her mother. So it comes off as though the tricking your mother into doing what you want her to do by using an evil spell, was not such a bad idea after all. Kids will be kids, but I dont agree with a movie that seemingly supports a child deceiving and 'changing' their mother into what THEY want. Not cool.
Parent Written byLoveOldPixar July 3, 2012

Not a Pixar G movie

We took our 10-year-old daughter, 6-year-old son, and 4-year-old daughter since we all "loved" every other Pixar film. However, all of us were completely disappointed. More than 50 minutes in, my 10-year-old asked me when the story would start. And the scenes with the bear were completely over the top, violent, and not appropriate for the average 1st, 2nd grader. Both my son and younger daughther had nightmares. Again, only reason we went was because it was Pixar. Very frightening for the younger kids - more deserving of a PG rating for violence. Having said that, the butt scene did make all of the kids giggle, which was really the only time they laughed. To conclude, there was no connection made with the characters. Didn't we all cry during Toy Story 3, and weren't we all sad that Bo Peep and others were "gone"? You won't get that here with Brave.
Parent Written byMovieDad1544 July 2, 2012

Sad little girls

We've been playing up this movie to our kids for months. We have a little red-headed 4 year old another 5 year old daughter. The 5 year old has had some trouble in the past with the more evil bad guys, my 4 year old isn't afraid of much. We took them to Brave yesterday and it was an absolute nightmare. My 5 year old left about half-way through. My 4 year old wanted to stay so I stayed with her but the movie just kept getting scarier and she spent much of it in my lap with her eyes closed. There was a party behind us with about 10-12 girls, guessing they were in the 8-9 range, half of them were crying. I simply have no idea what Disney was thinking. This movie is just not for kids. I'm very disappointed that the movie was so scary and that the trailers were so misleading. In the end this was my fault, I'll remember to read here before going to any more movies.
Kid, 11 years old July 2, 2012

Well, I really like medieval times and anything that has to do with kings or castles. :)

My plans were changed. I was originally going up to the theater to watch a different movie when my father said that my younger sister- nine years old- might be bored sitting through the movie. So, seeing as there was one movie she might want to watch, we saw Brave. And well, it was actually pretty good. It might be a bit scary for smaller children in some parts, but overall, not very scary. There is some violence, with partial nudity- just comical- and some drinking, but not overly excessive. Overall, since I haven't seen anything overly satisfactory pumped out of Disney or Pixar for awhile, it was very good.
Adult Written bykoujokakyuu July 1, 2012

C'mon Pixar! You could do so much better!

I was hoping for a Pixar quality film centering on a strong female character. What they delivered was beautiful, but fell flat in the story department. Surely Pixar could have found a road less travelled for this film. It is simply a be-careful-what-you-wish-for story that centers on poor mother-daughter relations and unwanted betrothal. As if betrothal is relevant to young girls' lives. Been there, done that, so 400 years ago. Blech! There was one uncomfortable moment where the lady-in-waiting/maid type had hidden a key in her bosom, and one of the three young boys in the house went after it. I just rmember feeling repulsed by the way they structured that scene and the camera angles. Sheesh! Additionally, there were several pretty songs by a female recording artst, but they weren't the sing-along or even secret thoughts of our characters type, just moneymakers. Even the short was slow and uninspiring.
Adult Written bysirmaxmk July 1, 2012

Confused

I was really surpirsed about the intensity and violence of this movie. It has witch craft and scary scenes. I read a number of different of reviews and I am really confused how they are all saying this is a family film. My 8 yr/old daughter is still bothered by it the day after. I would definitely be careful with younger children and sensitive kids.
Parent of a 7 and 9 year old Written bymark_tx July 1, 2012

too scary

I saw this with my friend. It was much too scary.
Adult Written byag1 July 1, 2012

Beautiful movie, but way too scary for children

Visually, Brave is a wonderful movie. The positive message for girls is also excellent. However, it is WAY too scary for children. Why do filmmakers think that they have to pack a lot of action and scary scenes into a children's movie? I saw it with my 11 year old daughter, but she was hiding her face or turning around not to see many of the unnecessarily scary scenes.
Parent Written bygoddessrfl July 1, 2012

Great for brave kids of all ages

My girls are 8 and 4 and they both loved it. There were a few scary, jump in your seat moments but that's not something that's ever bothered us. If your kids are really timid and easily scared, this may not be the movie for you. However, I think most kids now are used to the thrill ride that a movie can provide and will love the action and suspense and laughs this movie provides. Plus, it shows girls in a strong role which is always appreciated in our family. Great movie and worth the price of a ticket at the "real" theater :)
Parent Written byalabamudclay July 1, 2012

Little kid stuff

Parent of a 10 and 12 year old Written byMercurybabe June 30, 2012

Watch Out! Scary and Disappointing

I wish I had read the other reviews here first before we went to see this movie. It was violent with a storyline that appeared to be slapped together in a hurry, so that many things did not make sense. I also did not like the fact that the daughter gets her mother to mysteriously agree with her by feeding her a magic cake obtained from a witch. The children (including her brothers) continually misbehave with no repercussions whatsoever, and there are absolutely no male characters who are even remotely respectable--they are all either bumbling, stupid, greedy, warlike, or vain, etc. I wanted to like the main character, but her character development is shallow and stunted. The violent scenes were disturbing to my 12 year old daughter who has seen Hunger Games! I felt really sorry for all the little kids in the audience. I expect more from Disney and Pixar; next time I will look at the reviews much more carefully before shelling out $17.00 to see one of their movies with my daughter.
Parent of a 8 and 12 year old Written byQuiltMama80 June 30, 2012

Our family loved it!

My family thought this movie was great. My daughters are 8 and 12 years old and did NOT think this film was scary at all. My 12 year old says it was a cute movie and my 8 year old agrees! I guess they have thicker skin than the other kids that went to see this. Then again, no one in the theatre complained about the movie either. I agree that there should have been more character development but all in all it was a fine film. And the moral of the film is be careful what you wish for.
Teen, 14 years old Written bymrbookworm01 June 30, 2012

Really good, but too scary for younger children

I saw this movie today and it was really good. It has some surprisingly scary scenes, but nothing too intense for older children. I liked that the main character, Marida, is self-reliant, courageous, and, unlike most Disney princesses, isn't obsessed with romance and meeting their true love. OK for kids 9+. Educational: Kids might learn a little about Scotish culture. Violence: A lot of pretty scary scenes, mainly towards the middle and end. The beginning shows Merida's father losing his leg to a bear, but it's not shown on-screen. Merida and her mother frequently argue. Some scary encounters with vicious bears, but nobody is seriously hurt. The witch and the evil bear, Mardu, can both be frightening to younger children. Some lighter battles between the Scotsman, and some slapstick violence. Sex: Elinor and Fergus are a couple and frequently hug and at one point, Fergus hits her on the bottom. At the end, Elinor is naked and covered by a sheet, but nothing is shown, and Fergus takes notice. Also, some moments show naked animated bottoms. Consumerism: No product placement, but merchandise like dolls, a video game, and other things are for sale. Drinking: Some casual drinking among adults, but nothing excessive.
Parent Written byHeidiSalerno June 30, 2012

Excellent!

Brave was amazing! Besides the princess being a strong, smart, brave warrior with bad ass hair, she finally had a mother! Unlike Snow White, Cinderella, Ariel, Belle, Jasmine and Pocahontas whose mothers Disney killed, or Sleeping Beauty and Rapunzel whose mothers were ripped away by Disney from birth to 16, Merida doesn't just have a mother (sure Tiana had a mother whose only role was to remind her of her father's dream) but the very story is about their bond. Finally! Only took Disney 70 years to allow a strong mother/daughter story. The symbolic moment when Merida held her bow up to her own father (Disney) and said, "I will not let you kill my mother!" I cried, I've been wanted Disney to stop killing mothers for decades now. Thank you Pixar's first woman director and writer Brenda Chapman and producer Katherine Sarafian. Loved every bit of the movie! The bears are loud and the fights with the bears can be scary.