Mother-daughter princess tale has some very scary scenes.

Adult Written byag1 July 1, 2012

Beautiful movie, but way too scary for children

Visually, Brave is a wonderful movie. The positive message for girls is also excellent. However, it is WAY too scary for children. Why do filmmakers think that they have to pack a lot of action and scary scenes into a children's movie? I saw it with my 11 year old daughter, but she was hiding her face or turning around not to see many of the unnecessarily scary scenes.
Parent Written bygoddessrfl July 1, 2012

Great for brave kids of all ages

My girls are 8 and 4 and they both loved it. There were a few scary, jump in your seat moments but that's not something that's ever bothered us. If your kids are really timid and easily scared, this may not be the movie for you. However, I think most kids now are used to the thrill ride that a movie can provide and will love the action and suspense and laughs this movie provides. Plus, it shows girls in a strong role which is always appreciated in our family. Great movie and worth the price of a ticket at the "real" theater :)
Parent Written byalabamudclay July 1, 2012

Little kid stuff

Parent of a 10 and 12 year old Written byMercurybabe June 30, 2012

Watch Out! Scary and Disappointing

I wish I had read the other reviews here first before we went to see this movie. It was violent with a storyline that appeared to be slapped together in a hurry, so that many things did not make sense. I also did not like the fact that the daughter gets her mother to mysteriously agree with her by feeding her a magic cake obtained from a witch. The children (including her brothers) continually misbehave with no repercussions whatsoever, and there are absolutely no male characters who are even remotely respectable--they are all either bumbling, stupid, greedy, warlike, or vain, etc. I wanted to like the main character, but her character development is shallow and stunted. The violent scenes were disturbing to my 12 year old daughter who has seen Hunger Games! I felt really sorry for all the little kids in the audience. I expect more from Disney and Pixar; next time I will look at the reviews much more carefully before shelling out $17.00 to see one of their movies with my daughter.
Parent of a 8 and 12 year old Written byQuiltMama80 June 30, 2012

Our family loved it!

My family thought this movie was great. My daughters are 8 and 12 years old and did NOT think this film was scary at all. My 12 year old says it was a cute movie and my 8 year old agrees! I guess they have thicker skin than the other kids that went to see this. Then again, no one in the theatre complained about the movie either. I agree that there should have been more character development but all in all it was a fine film. And the moral of the film is be careful what you wish for.
Teen, 14 years old Written bymrbookworm01 June 30, 2012

Really good, but too scary for younger children

I saw this movie today and it was really good. It has some surprisingly scary scenes, but nothing too intense for older children. I liked that the main character, Marida, is self-reliant, courageous, and, unlike most Disney princesses, isn't obsessed with romance and meeting their true love. OK for kids 9+. Educational: Kids might learn a little about Scotish culture. Violence: A lot of pretty scary scenes, mainly towards the middle and end. The beginning shows Merida's father losing his leg to a bear, but it's not shown on-screen. Merida and her mother frequently argue. Some scary encounters with vicious bears, but nobody is seriously hurt. The witch and the evil bear, Mardu, can both be frightening to younger children. Some lighter battles between the Scotsman, and some slapstick violence. Sex: Elinor and Fergus are a couple and frequently hug and at one point, Fergus hits her on the bottom. At the end, Elinor is naked and covered by a sheet, but nothing is shown, and Fergus takes notice. Also, some moments show naked animated bottoms. Consumerism: No product placement, but merchandise like dolls, a video game, and other things are for sale. Drinking: Some casual drinking among adults, but nothing excessive.
Parent Written byHeidiSalerno June 30, 2012

Excellent!

Brave was amazing! Besides the princess being a strong, smart, brave warrior with bad ass hair, she finally had a mother! Unlike Snow White, Cinderella, Ariel, Belle, Jasmine and Pocahontas whose mothers Disney killed, or Sleeping Beauty and Rapunzel whose mothers were ripped away by Disney from birth to 16, Merida doesn't just have a mother (sure Tiana had a mother whose only role was to remind her of her father's dream) but the very story is about their bond. Finally! Only took Disney 70 years to allow a strong mother/daughter story. The symbolic moment when Merida held her bow up to her own father (Disney) and said, "I will not let you kill my mother!" I cried, I've been wanted Disney to stop killing mothers for decades now. Thank you Pixar's first woman director and writer Brenda Chapman and producer Katherine Sarafian. Loved every bit of the movie! The bears are loud and the fights with the bears can be scary.
Adult Written byyellowmom June 30, 2012

NOT for kids!

Wow. Do NOT take any child under 10 to this. It is quite violent and VERY scarey. My 9-year-old daughter kept asking when we could leave and had nightmares that night. Disney has marketed this as a family-friendly kid movie. It is anything but! And honestly, this is the worst 3D quality I've seen. Much of the movie was blurry.
Parent Written bythe Otter June 30, 2012

Great movie, but know your kids.

As an adult, I loved *Brave*. The movie was SO much better than most of the trash that Hollywood markets to adults. However, I would agree with the other reviewers that it is way too violent for some younger children. While our five-year-old son absolutely loved it, our six-year-old daughter was terrified by several of the scarier scenes. As always, Pixar’s animation is the standard by which all others are to be judged: the realism is amazing, although to be honest, I’m not sure the 3D glasses added much to it. Regarding the film’s message and educational value, the ultimate message of the movie is the process by which Merida grows from a self-centered teen to an equal member of a loving family. While my wife was bothered by her initial Weltanschauung, I found the transformation both inspirational and believable and could easily see it becoming the basis for many a family discussion. All told, a great movie, but again, you definitely need to know your kids. I rated it “violence” because it indeed has some, but would not rate it “excessive violence”; it’s just a PG movie, and I think a lot of people are complaining because MPAA ratings are worthless—hence the need for sites like this.
Parent of a 4 year old Written byFiremed Sam June 30, 2012

Worst Disney Movie Yet

This is Disney's most violent "princess type" of movie, I've ever seen. I can't figure out why they named it Brave. The main character is never brave. She is more of a selfish, spoiled teenager, who teaches children how to "get even" with their mom's, if they don't like how they "parent" them. This is a terrifying movie for children under 9 years of age. 85 % of the movie is filled with knives, daggers, and axes, being used on other humans, as well as a scene where an ax is thrown at, and stuck into the forehead of, a stuffed bear. I am extremely disappointed in Disney. The merchandise is geared towards 6-year-olds and under. This movie is NOT for the same age group. So sad. Disney really messed up.
Parent of a 7 year old Written bybenjaminb June 29, 2012

My 7 year old loved it.

Frankly, I'm surprised by the negative reviews by the parents for this movie. My 7 year old calls it one of the best movies she's seen in a long time. Spoiler alert: Yes, the mother turns into a bear, there are certainly scary bear scenes, the father comes close to unknowingly killing his wife (which he believes is just a bear). My child was captivated but not overly scared. It's clearly a fairy tale. The only bare bottoms we noticed briefly were little kids'; the male bare bottom is only suggested, with humor, and not actually shown. This story is ultimately about a young girl who develops a contrite heart--and once that humble state is achieved, all is made right. Her mother and father clearly display love for her and they also have a loving marriage. Not all the males are portrayed as idiotic as one reviewer said; the father is a good, decent man--which is what the young girl uses to compare her marriage options to. I thought it was refreshing to see a movie where Prince Charming doesn't come to rescue the young woman, and there's a parent-child struggle that leads to closer familial bonds.
Parent Written byKevin37122 June 29, 2012

Dark Scary and disturbing

When I checked Brave on common sense media it was listed as age appropriate for 6. Tangled was listed for 5 so I thought it would be pretty close to that movie which my daughter loved. I could not have been more wrong. Other reviews have described the dark overtone throughout the movie and that it’s very scary. There were children crying throughout the movie all over the theatre. I think most parents thought like me there is always a short dark part to a Disney movie but it never lasts very long and everything will work out in the end. The dark portions just go on and on. If you take your child and they get upset about midway through just leave. It does not get better for a very long time and the better part is very short. The part that my daughter found the most upsetting had to do with the family. The daughter and mother fight a lot in raised tones. The daughter also plots to change her mother by going to a witch to cast a spell on her. The spell changes the mother into a bear, which is the mortal enemy of her father. The mother gets ill during the change and panics after she sees what her daughter has done. As the movie progresses the mother, who is mostly kind to her daughter as a bear, begins to turn on her as she becomes more of a bear than a mom. She growls fiercely, and even hits the daughter causing her dress to be ripped and her arm scratched. The father also pushes the daughter and the mother (as a bear) flings the father across the room. The mother is hunted by the father and there is a fight scene in which the daughter and father fight over the mother, as a bear, with swords. The fight ends with the daughter cutting off the father’s wooden leg which was bitten off in the beginning of the movie. After all that she is then attacked by a really scary bear that originally bit off the dad’s leg. What truly disturbed my daughter was the mom could be hurt, taken away, and that really bad things can happen to moms. At the young ages of most of the movie goers in the theater this fact of life is delivered to early. I regret the choice I made as a parent taking my daughter to see this movie and would recommend to anyone who asks that it would not be age appropriate to anyone under 10. I wish Disney had requested a PG-13 rating on this one. If your kids are old enough to appreciate the movie it is well done and would be enjoyable for those tweens and parents alike but I would still expect to be visited in the middle of the night by young ones having a hard time sleeping.
Parent of a 5, 7, and 9 year old Written bylaineypc June 29, 2012

Not too scary for us; Good female role models, male not so much.

I took my 9 and 7 year old sons and 5 year old daughter to see this movie. I am sorry to read that so many reviewers report their kids found it too scary and that the parents hadn't had good information about just how scary it was. Our experience was that it was not too scary, even for the 5 year old (who is going on 14 in her mind) and that the scary parts were part of the enjoyment of the movie. The greatest tension for the 5 year old was whether (spoiler alert) King Fergus would kill Elinor as a bear. But she got through that part ok, sitting 2 seats away from me. I was glad for a strong female role model for my kids to see. I thought it was somewhat demeaning to the men, though, who were either bumbling fools, or not quite grown up boys, like King Fergus, who was not comfortable with his fatherly duties and preferred to wrestle and fight, and so strong was his need to avenge the bear, it blinded him to the fact he was hunting his own wife. The scene where Elinor calms the chaos in the great hall simply by walking through in her queenly manner suggested that women are needed to bring civility and order to a society. While I secretly agree, I wish there would have been a wise male in the story to counter the caricatured juvenile behavior of the rest. Also, I wondered why Merida didn't appear to have any friends, male or female. But Merida's story of finding independence and changing her relationship with her mother was something parents and kids could relate to, and the visual richness of the film was delightful. We all enjoyed this movie.
Adult Written byterra100 June 28, 2012

Funny, beautifully animated, positive messages

There's something for everyone in this movie. We thought it was a great movie. The hair! The hair! That was some beautiful animation on that ginger. To all the haters out there who can't deal with a mother-daughter relationship on screen, go find some other mindless shooter movie. This was great fun for the whole family. And there are positive messages. It was also funny.
Parent of a 2 and 7 year old Written bySuper Mommy 1980 June 28, 2012

Brave

I took my 2 yr. and 7 yr. old daughters to see this in the theaters. My 7 yr. old loved it! She had to close her eyes in the part where Mor'du and Elinor the bear were fighting, but other than that, she loved it. My 2 yr. old liked it, but there were a few issues. She also closed her eyes during the bear fight scene, and the witch creeped her out. Also, the scene in the fallen kingdom was scary to her, but no tears from either of my daughters. Merida was a great role model! She is one of the few strong Disney protagonists. I highly recommend this movie to anyone with a mature 2 yr. old or 4 yr. old and up.
Educator and Parent Written bychristian-witness June 28, 2012

ok movie

A very violent movie. I think this would scare younger children. Brave has a strong message about family relationships and open communication between parents and kids (particularly mothers and daughters).
Teen, 13 years old Written bytiramisu June 28, 2012

2 year old even laughed in "scary" parts!!!!

This is a really good movie, not scary at all! my 2 year old brother was laughing the whole time, but he thought how to train your dragon was REALLY scary, so it's okay.
Parent Written byMoviecrazymom June 27, 2012

Really disappointing movie!

I thought this was VERY scary for young elementary, has nudity in a cartoon, and shows a very defiant main character-not what I would call strong at all! It also is very demeaning to men-all of which are portrayed as idiots who needs their wives to call the shots and blood thirsty. Really disappointing movie!
Kid, 10 years old June 27, 2012

Think About It

I recently watched Brave. I didn't think it was overly scary,and that it was done gracefully,but it probably is off for 4-year old princess lovers. Brave is not a fairy tale, and some parts are night mare inducing.With fabulous animation (I would kill for that hair), comes also realness.It isn't Tangled,per say.But Merida is a great role model for rebellious younger ones.Most of the innuendos will fly right over smaller kids head. You might pause for your first, second, or even third grader, but Brave is actually very good.
Parent Written byshockergirl90 June 27, 2012

Scary for young children, but good message

After the (spoiler alert) mother turned into a bear, I spent most of the rest of the movie outside with my 4 and 2 year old (husband watched rest of the movie with 7yo). 7-year-old like it but was a bit scared in a couple of places, but he's not a fan of dramatic tension. My 4yo daughter, who couldn't wait to see Brave, was really scared that the mother was a bear. She immediately started crying even though the bear then wasn't doing anything scary. (Of course, it also could have been that she needed a nap.) Other than that, I liked the movie (or what I saw of it anyway). I thought the message was good and many of us can relate to the issue of what parents want for their children v. what children want, no matter how old the children are.