All member reviews for Brave

Mother-daughter princess tale has some very scary scenes.

Parent Written bythe Otter June 30, 2012

Great movie, but know your kids.

As an adult, I loved *Brave*. The movie was SO much better than most of the trash that Hollywood markets to adults. However, I would agree with the other reviewers that it is way too violent for some younger children. While our five-year-old son absolutely loved it, our six-year-old daughter was terrified by several of the scarier scenes. As always, Pixar’s animation is the standard by which all others are to be judged: the realism is amazing, although to be honest, I’m not sure the 3D glasses added much to it. Regarding the film’s message and educational value, the ultimate message of the movie is the process by which Merida grows from a self-centered teen to an equal member of a loving family. While my wife was bothered by her initial Weltanschauung, I found the transformation both inspirational and believable and could easily see it becoming the basis for many a family discussion. All told, a great movie, but again, you definitely need to know your kids. I rated it “violence” because it indeed has some, but would not rate it “excessive violence”; it’s just a PG movie, and I think a lot of people are complaining because MPAA ratings are worthless—hence the need for sites like this.
Parent of a 4 year old Written byFiremed Sam June 30, 2012

Worst Disney Movie Yet

This is Disney's most violent "princess type" of movie, I've ever seen. I can't figure out why they named it Brave. The main character is never brave. She is more of a selfish, spoiled teenager, who teaches children how to "get even" with their mom's, if they don't like how they "parent" them. This is a terrifying movie for children under 9 years of age. 85 % of the movie is filled with knives, daggers, and axes, being used on other humans, as well as a scene where an ax is thrown at, and stuck into the forehead of, a stuffed bear. I am extremely disappointed in Disney. The merchandise is geared towards 6-year-olds and under. This movie is NOT for the same age group. So sad. Disney really messed up.
Parent of a 7 year old Written bybenjaminb June 29, 2012

My 7 year old loved it.

Frankly, I'm surprised by the negative reviews by the parents for this movie. My 7 year old calls it one of the best movies she's seen in a long time. Spoiler alert: Yes, the mother turns into a bear, there are certainly scary bear scenes, the father comes close to unknowingly killing his wife (which he believes is just a bear). My child was captivated but not overly scared. It's clearly a fairy tale. The only bare bottoms we noticed briefly were little kids'; the male bare bottom is only suggested, with humor, and not actually shown. This story is ultimately about a young girl who develops a contrite heart--and once that humble state is achieved, all is made right. Her mother and father clearly display love for her and they also have a loving marriage. Not all the males are portrayed as idiotic as one reviewer said; the father is a good, decent man--which is what the young girl uses to compare her marriage options to. I thought it was refreshing to see a movie where Prince Charming doesn't come to rescue the young woman, and there's a parent-child struggle that leads to closer familial bonds.
Parent Written byKevin37122 June 29, 2012

Dark Scary and disturbing

When I checked Brave on common sense media it was listed as age appropriate for 6. Tangled was listed for 5 so I thought it would be pretty close to that movie which my daughter loved. I could not have been more wrong. Other reviews have described the dark overtone throughout the movie and that it’s very scary. There were children crying throughout the movie all over the theatre. I think most parents thought like me there is always a short dark part to a Disney movie but it never lasts very long and everything will work out in the end. The dark portions just go on and on. If you take your child and they get upset about midway through just leave. It does not get better for a very long time and the better part is very short. The part that my daughter found the most upsetting had to do with the family. The daughter and mother fight a lot in raised tones. The daughter also plots to change her mother by going to a witch to cast a spell on her. The spell changes the mother into a bear, which is the mortal enemy of her father. The mother gets ill during the change and panics after she sees what her daughter has done. As the movie progresses the mother, who is mostly kind to her daughter as a bear, begins to turn on her as she becomes more of a bear than a mom. She growls fiercely, and even hits the daughter causing her dress to be ripped and her arm scratched. The father also pushes the daughter and the mother (as a bear) flings the father across the room. The mother is hunted by the father and there is a fight scene in which the daughter and father fight over the mother, as a bear, with swords. The fight ends with the daughter cutting off the father’s wooden leg which was bitten off in the beginning of the movie. After all that she is then attacked by a really scary bear that originally bit off the dad’s leg. What truly disturbed my daughter was the mom could be hurt, taken away, and that really bad things can happen to moms. At the young ages of most of the movie goers in the theater this fact of life is delivered to early. I regret the choice I made as a parent taking my daughter to see this movie and would recommend to anyone who asks that it would not be age appropriate to anyone under 10. I wish Disney had requested a PG-13 rating on this one. If your kids are old enough to appreciate the movie it is well done and would be enjoyable for those tweens and parents alike but I would still expect to be visited in the middle of the night by young ones having a hard time sleeping.
Parent of a 5, 7, and 9 year old Written bylaineypc June 29, 2012

Not too scary for us; Good female role models, male not so much.

I took my 9 and 7 year old sons and 5 year old daughter to see this movie. I am sorry to read that so many reviewers report their kids found it too scary and that the parents hadn't had good information about just how scary it was. Our experience was that it was not too scary, even for the 5 year old (who is going on 14 in her mind) and that the scary parts were part of the enjoyment of the movie. The greatest tension for the 5 year old was whether (spoiler alert) King Fergus would kill Elinor as a bear. But she got through that part ok, sitting 2 seats away from me. I was glad for a strong female role model for my kids to see. I thought it was somewhat demeaning to the men, though, who were either bumbling fools, or not quite grown up boys, like King Fergus, who was not comfortable with his fatherly duties and preferred to wrestle and fight, and so strong was his need to avenge the bear, it blinded him to the fact he was hunting his own wife. The scene where Elinor calms the chaos in the great hall simply by walking through in her queenly manner suggested that women are needed to bring civility and order to a society. While I secretly agree, I wish there would have been a wise male in the story to counter the caricatured juvenile behavior of the rest. Also, I wondered why Merida didn't appear to have any friends, male or female. But Merida's story of finding independence and changing her relationship with her mother was something parents and kids could relate to, and the visual richness of the film was delightful. We all enjoyed this movie.
Adult Written byterra100 June 28, 2012

Funny, beautifully animated, positive messages

There's something for everyone in this movie. We thought it was a great movie. The hair! The hair! That was some beautiful animation on that ginger. To all the haters out there who can't deal with a mother-daughter relationship on screen, go find some other mindless shooter movie. This was great fun for the whole family. And there are positive messages. It was also funny.
Parent of a 2 and 7 year old Written bySuper Mommy 1980 June 28, 2012

Brave

I took my 2 yr. and 7 yr. old daughters to see this in the theaters. My 7 yr. old loved it! She had to close her eyes in the part where Mor'du and Elinor the bear were fighting, but other than that, she loved it. My 2 yr. old liked it, but there were a few issues. She also closed her eyes during the bear fight scene, and the witch creeped her out. Also, the scene in the fallen kingdom was scary to her, but no tears from either of my daughters. Merida was a great role model! She is one of the few strong Disney protagonists. I highly recommend this movie to anyone with a mature 2 yr. old or 4 yr. old and up.
Educator and Parent Written bychristian-witness June 28, 2012

ok movie

A very violent movie. I think this would scare younger children. Brave has a strong message about family relationships and open communication between parents and kids (particularly mothers and daughters).
Teen, 13 years old Written bytiramisu June 28, 2012

2 year old even laughed in "scary" parts!!!!

This is a really good movie, not scary at all! my 2 year old brother was laughing the whole time, but he thought how to train your dragon was REALLY scary, so it's okay.
Parent Written byMoviecrazymom June 27, 2012

Really disappointing movie!

I thought this was VERY scary for young elementary, has nudity in a cartoon, and shows a very defiant main character-not what I would call strong at all! It also is very demeaning to men-all of which are portrayed as idiots who needs their wives to call the shots and blood thirsty. Really disappointing movie!
Kid, 10 years old June 27, 2012

Think About It

I recently watched Brave. I didn't think it was overly scary,and that it was done gracefully,but it probably is off for 4-year old princess lovers. Brave is not a fairy tale, and some parts are night mare inducing.With fabulous animation (I would kill for that hair), comes also realness.It isn't Tangled,per say.But Merida is a great role model for rebellious younger ones.Most of the innuendos will fly right over smaller kids head. You might pause for your first, second, or even third grader, but Brave is actually very good.
Parent Written byshockergirl90 June 27, 2012

Scary for young children, but good message

After the (spoiler alert) mother turned into a bear, I spent most of the rest of the movie outside with my 4 and 2 year old (husband watched rest of the movie with 7yo). 7-year-old like it but was a bit scared in a couple of places, but he's not a fan of dramatic tension. My 4yo daughter, who couldn't wait to see Brave, was really scared that the mother was a bear. She immediately started crying even though the bear then wasn't doing anything scary. (Of course, it also could have been that she needed a nap.) Other than that, I liked the movie (or what I saw of it anyway). I thought the message was good and many of us can relate to the issue of what parents want for their children v. what children want, no matter how old the children are.
Educator and Parent Written byPamazon June 27, 2012

Gorgeous animation and another princess to cheer for!

We took our almost 9 and almost 6yo boys to see this movie and we all had a great time! The animation was amazing, her hair, her hair!!! We chose to see it in 2d because I read the 3d was a little dark (as in not well-lit) and difficult to see during the action scenes. Loved the story and the characters, loved the message of healing a family rift and the value in saying your sorry. I would agree with previous reviewers that the scenes with the bear were pretty frightening. My youngest son likes to claim he's "un-scarable" but even he had some trouble getting to sleep after the movie that first night. You know your kid and whether they can handle a scary scene in a movie. The majority of the movie is not frightening, so if they want to cover their eyes to avoid the mean bear, they won't be missing much of the movie.
Parent of a 3 year old Written byKilgore Trout June 26, 2012

Too scary for preschoolers; Indecisive message

My soon-to-be 4-year-old clung to me and screamed during some of the many violent parts of this film. The changes effecting the protagonist's mommy was very disturbing for her. I would not have taken my child to see this film had it not been for the assurance of Disney Store employee who said that the film was fun and funny (like Tangled) and NOT scary, and was totally appropriate for young children. The message of the film is also confusing. Who is brave? The nonconformist who breaks with tradition to follow their own dreams? Or a person who sacrifices their personal desires in order to serve the greater good? Because the narrative attempts to espouse the former without repudiating the latter, it ultimately fails to to produce a meaningful answer (an ironically cowardly choice for a film about bravery).
Parent of a 4, 7, 10, and 12 year old Written byh3nryjz June 26, 2012

Pixar continues to hit it out of the park!

I think this was a great movie. Kudos to Pixar for continuing to put out quality family films. While there are some tense and possibly scary scenes for kids, I wouldn't immediately disqualify it for younger children because of this. If you are worried that some of the content is too scary for your children, then watch it before taking your children. In my opinion, though, the dragon in Sleeping Beauty is much scarier than the very brief scary scene in Brave.
Adult Written byferdie4 June 26, 2012

Very disgusted

Animation and 3D were beautiful. Before discovering this review site I mistakenly took the grandchildren hoping for a positive, brave role model for the granddaughter. She is 3 and her brother is 6. Granddaughter wanted to leave after about a half hour and grandson wanted to leave about 10 minutes later. We walked out. Movie was too violent, dark, and as usual, too loud which overwhelms many small children. Granddaughter was saying she "never, never, never,never was going to that movie again!" We need Walt Disney back for young children. Everything doesn't have to be so dark and violent.
Teen, 13 years old Written bybird1541351 June 26, 2012

Great!

This is a great movie, but I wold probably rate it four stars. I had high expectations for Disney Pixar after seeing Cars 2, Brave reached my satisfactory level. Although my little sister covered up her ears and eyes for most of the movie, it's fine for older ones.
Kid, 12 years old June 26, 2012

Scary PG movie

This is an okay movie. Its really scary for kids i thought and it could be very sad at parts. Yes during the movie you see some naked bums but it is animated! The bears are really scary at some parts. Overall i wasnt as satisfied as i wanted to be. I went into the theater with high expectations and when i came out they werent all met.
Parent of a 5 and 8 year old Written byclmocs June 26, 2012

Scary!!

As others have said, this movie has some extremely scary parts. My 5 and 8 year old girls were terrified and asking to leave for much of the second half of the movie. They are pretty sensitive kids but this movie was much more intense than the trailers and common sense media review would lead you to believe.
Parent Written byOneMomsOpinion June 26, 2012

Not what I expected

Not what I expected. Ends with a good message, but there are plenty of intense scenes that might scare little ones.