All member reviews for Bridge to Terabithia

Beautiful lesson in friendship for young and old.

Adult Written bySheriHarris April 9, 2008

Too sad for kids

This movie is so sad my 9 year old son cried himself to sleep. The death of a main character is not appropriate in a children's movie. I found it sad and beautiful, but I am an adult. Also, I checked the Disney web page to see if there were warnings about the tragic circustances and there was not. I am very angry with Disney for putting my children through this experience.
Teen, 15 years old Written byOGORMAN January 16, 2011

An extroardinary adaptation from Katherine Patterson's novel.

In the words of Leslie: "Close your eyes, and keep your mind wide open." These words portray a good message. Keep yourself open to all possibilities, nothing is impossible if you set all your efforts to it. This movie was a perfect adaptation of the classic book. Josh Hutcherson and Anna Sophia Robb are talented actors who played their parts extremely believably. I have no complaints about this movie.
Adult Written bynbcoug April 9, 2008
Teen, 13 years old Written byNoseStuckInABook April 21, 2010

Good movie adapation...tearjerker.

If you're one of those people who need their movies really close to the book, you may not like this movie. It plays heavy on the fantasy. But if you don't mind too much, you'll love this movie. It's touching and really well done in my mind. I've seen it several time, but I still die every time Leslie dies. Her death is offscreen, but it's still pretty upsetting.
Parent of a 6 and 11 year old Written byKepler March 22, 2010

Powerful. Beautiful. Deals with death and loss head on. Parents should preview.

Emotional maturity is an absolute pre-requisite for anyone watching this movie. Jessie's friend Leslie is an extraordinarily gifted girl, full of imagination and love. Her death was wrenching and upsetting to this adult to the point that I have never been able to watch the movie a second time, nor have I shared it with my children or spouse. This is a wonderful, beautiful, powerful film, but it raises disturbing issues of responsibility and dealing with personal loss. Parents should view it before sharing it with children of any age.
Kid, 10 years old May 25, 2013

Beautiful, ending is very sad, so you may want to preview it.

This is an amazing movie about two ten year olds united by running. One day a new girl, boldly crosses over to the boys side of the playground and outruns all of them, a good lesson learned for the boys. Leslie Burke and Jess Aarons embrace their differences, and create Terebithia, a place in the woods only they know about. Occasional language, at one point, a six year old girl says some mild words and they get into a discussion about it. Jess's dad also uses a little language. The ending is extremely sad when one charecter dies. It's not shown onscreen. Jess is angry and his sister follows him and he shoves her because he's filled with grief and anger. This is a great movie, but I don't recommend to anyone younger than 8 or 9 because they might not get the meaning of the death and why everyone's so upset. These are great role models, with Josh Hutcherson and Anna Sophia Robb. This is beautifully filmed, some parents may want to preview it first to make sure your child can handle the sadness. I hope I was helpful!
Parent of a 5 year old Written byslantmaster March 20, 2011
It is a good movie that even parents could watch with their child. The only offputting thing is the death of a character but it's not all that bad and it isn't actually shown in the film, sort of the same thing going on as "My Girl"
Kid, 11 years old February 14, 2016

Not for Sensitive Children

SPOILER ALERT: The main character dies. Kids who are very sensitive should not see this movie. Nor should they read the book. Otherwise this movie is amazing!
Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written byMangoFlamingo May 3, 2010

I'd wait a bit longer than age 8....

I just finished watching this movie alone as I was planning on showing it to my kids on the weekend (nearly 6 & 8). I thought it was quite cute, a bit scary (due to the imagination characters) but generally really good...until the death. I was crying my eyes out...sooooo I think I'm going to wait a few years to let them watch it. At least age 9, but possibly 10...
Teen, 13 years old Written bytweeni February 21, 2010

R-E-A-L-L-Y sad!

(spoiler alert!) REALLY sad! leslie dies, which is a real shocker. the movie seems kid-friendly at first, but it kinda turns around after her death. i was amazed at the nerve moviemakers have putting such a tragic death in a kid movie. apart from that, ok, but it can get confusing.
Adult Written byPaladin October 25, 2009
This is an excellent movie. It tells a good story, the characters are compelling and realistic. The two main characters Jess & Leslie, as well as the two teachers Miss Edmunds (music) & Mrs Myers (English) {especially when she emotionally speaks of loss to Jess} provide excellent role models for children and young teens. Although I wish the character of Leslie did not die, and the story went a different direction; it is the very depth of loss that gives this story power. The death of my mother before I turned 13, as well as several other deaths that occured when I was near the age of the characters, clouds my objectivity I think. There are many good lessons of redemption, beyond the main plot. Such as with the class bully (Janice) and between Jess and his father, and of course Jess and May Belle.
Adult Written byNonnie April 9, 2008

Outstanding

I took my 10 yr old granddaughter to see this today. It dazzled my sense of creativity and wonder....she liked it,too--a whole lot!! The creativeness of both lead characters in their artistic worlds and how they cope with the sordid way life can be in school and on the bus. I was a school teacher for 31 yrs and this film has a very positive message for all kids--not just the ones who are different. The beauty of this is that our male lead "grows" in the end. He learns what is important to take and what is important to leave. Kids try to escape in movies....this one leads them while holding their hand. Wonderful movie!! 62 yr old Grandmother says thumbs way up!!

I didn't like it but....

I really thought this movie was bad. But I don't go for those feel good type of movies. Based on the trailer, I thought this was going to be an action flick. I was proven wrong. Out of the whole movie maybe about 10 minutes of action. I also may not have liked it because I went with my class of teenagers(and I'm sure you know how teenage boys sit through feel-good movies) But remember these reviews are ALL opinions. Also remember that if you want an action flick, see something like STAR WARS. If you want a feel-good movie, see BRIDGE TO TERIBITHIA. If you're a person that cries a lot, remember to be ready with Kleenex;)
Teen, 13 years old Written byMoggyCat November 16, 2012

a good film, but such a sad ending!

I liked this film a lot, but it had such a sad ending. I didn't know how upsetting the ending would be, and if you have a child who doesn't really enjoy the pain of grief that you only get when watching a sad film or movie, I would be a little carful. Though, having said that, this was fairly funny, and enjoyable. Positive messages like looking out for each other, and try looking at life from another point of view. I liked how the movie had a arty feeling to it. a few notes though; there is a bit of a boyfriend/girlfriend feeling of this, and the only other thing wrong with it is that it's too short. I felt that the sad ending came too soon. I don't genially like sad movies, but I would watch this again, but fast forward the sad bit!
Parent of a 17 year old Written bylove2 September 29, 2009

this movie was....

this movie was great but very sad! one of the main charecters die (off screen) but it is no less dramatic and sad.
Parent Written bysuperheromom July 20, 2009

Main character's death is revolting.

This film's main character, a fantastic girl,who's brave, imaginative, athletic, and a great friend, simply dies. What kind of message is that? This movie is more than terrible, our family finds it revolting . My 5 y.o.daughter said: I wanted to be like her (in other words, the message is: if you're like her you'll die). Although it's rated for General Audiences, its themes require maturity to be processed.
Kid, 11 years old July 23, 2013

Amazing Movie!

Leslie's death is like, the point of the movie! This movie teaches kids about death, that it happens, and it can happen to kids, and how to deal with it.
Teen, 13 years old Written byThreeDaysGracesGirl November 3, 2010
This movie... was so good. I cannot stress that enough.
Kid, 12 years old July 1, 2010

Really Good Movie

This movie is a great way to show kids using their imaginations, and there is no limit to what these kids can dream up. Viewers can sometimes relate to the children having school problems, like having no friends, or a class bully. This is also a great movie that shows friendship. However, there are a few sad moments, the biggest easily being one of the main characters dwowning in a river. And evil creatures the kids believe are there(But really not). I thought this movie was really good, with a great message. Overall, a very touching movie.
Parent of a 11 year old Written bytishtay February 16, 2010
Great story with los of adventure. It might be a bit sad for kids to watch the loss of a main and dear character. It is a good story with some really great messages