All member reviews for Bridge to Terabithia

Beautiful lesson in friendship for young and old.

Teen, 15 years old Written byChristian_girl March 13, 2010

The Stupidest Movie I've Ever Seen (Besides Transformers 2)

Who in the world said this movie has good role models? Who in the world said it was good? Who in the world says it was educational? Who in the world wrote this movie? Who in the world wrote the book? I'm gonna give you the lowdown on the whole movie, beginning to end: the movie starts out when a boy, about 10, goes to a new school and makes a friend who is a girl. Not girlfriend, just girl, although the girl may have had a crush on the boy, there's nothing I remember that indicates one or the other. There are bullies at their school that the kids never (without violence) stand up to. The filmakers give false advertising to say this movie has magical creatures in it. In actuality, the creatures are just imagined by the two kids when they swing across a river on a maybe 50-year-old rope, and those sequences only last about two minutes or less. The monsters act like the school bullies, etc. That's how they deal with bullies: they run away. After class, the boy watches his teacher, maybe 25 years older than he is, walk to her car with a dumbfounded look on his face, "My, she's pretty. I want to marry her right now." The teacher returns this gesture by calling him up and asking him if he wants to visit an art gallery or something of the like. If I remember correctly, she refers to it as a kind of field trip. But she told the kid they'd be the only two on the trip. The kid runs away in the afternoon to go on a date with his favorite teacher. The teacher drives the kid home safe and sound, then his parents come running out of the house, "Where were you? We had the whole state after you. By the way, that girl you mentioned. She died today. Yep, washed down a river." The End. The morals: If a school bully messes with you, either run away or punch him in the face and be sure not to tell your parents. If you find a rickety old rope, swing across it and hope it doesn't snap. It's okay to have a crush on your teachers when you're ten years old, or anyone for that matter. (heaven help the kid when he's older.) If your teacher calls you and asks if you want to go somewhere alone, eagerly say yes and, again, make sure your parents don't know. Now, what do you think of these morals? Very good, aren't they? And you can learn a lot from this movie. But only if, before you watch it, you tell your kids, "Never do anything you see people do in this movie."
Teen, 15 years old Written byOGORMAN January 16, 2011

An extroardinary adaptation from Katherine Patterson's novel.

In the words of Leslie: "Close your eyes, and keep your mind wide open." These words portray a good message. Keep yourself open to all possibilities, nothing is impossible if you set all your efforts to it. This movie was a perfect adaptation of the classic book. Josh Hutcherson and Anna Sophia Robb are talented actors who played their parts extremely believably. I have no complaints about this movie.
Adult Written bynbcoug April 9, 2008

Parent of a 6 and 11 year old Written byKepler March 22, 2010

Powerful. Beautiful. Deals with death and loss head on. Parents should preview.

Emotional maturity is an absolute pre-requisite for anyone watching this movie. Jessie's friend Leslie is an extraordinarily gifted girl, full of imagination and love. Her death was wrenching and upsetting to this adult to the point that I have never been able to watch the movie a second time, nor have I shared it with my children or spouse. This is a wonderful, beautiful, powerful film, but it raises disturbing issues of responsibility and dealing with personal loss. Parents should view it before sharing it with children of any age.
Teen, 13 years old Written byNoseStuckInABook April 21, 2010

Good movie adapation...tearjerker.

If you're one of those people who need their movies really close to the book, you may not like this movie. It plays heavy on the fantasy. But if you don't mind too much, you'll love this movie. It's touching and really well done in my mind. I've seen it several time, but I still die every time Leslie dies. Her death is offscreen, but it's still pretty upsetting.
Adult Written byPaladin October 25, 2009

This is an excellent movie. It tells a good story, the characters are compelling and realistic. The two main characters Jess & Leslie, as well as the two teachers Miss Edmunds (music) & Mrs Myers (English) {especially when she emotionally speaks of loss to Jess} provide excellent role models for children and young teens. Although I wish the character of Leslie did not die, and the story went a different direction; it is the very depth of loss that gives this story power. The death of my mother before I turned 13, as well as several other deaths that occured when I was near the age of the characters, clouds my objectivity I think. There are many good lessons of redemption, beyond the main plot. Such as with the class bully (Janice) and between Jess and his father, and of course Jess and May Belle.
Parent Written bysuperheromom July 20, 2009

Main character's death is revolting.

This film's main character, a fantastic girl,who's brave, imaginative, athletic, and a great friend, simply dies. What kind of message is that? This movie is more than terrible, our family finds it revolting . My 5 y.o.daughter said: I wanted to be like her (in other words, the message is: if you're like her you'll die). Although it's rated for General Audiences, its themes require maturity to be processed.
Adult Written bySheriHarris April 9, 2008

Too sad for kids

This movie is so sad my 9 year old son cried himself to sleep. The death of a main character is not appropriate in a children's movie. I found it sad and beautiful, but I am an adult. Also, I checked the Disney web page to see if there were warnings about the tragic circustances and there was not. I am very angry with Disney for putting my children through this experience.
Kid, 12 years old July 1, 2010

Really Good Movie

This movie is a great way to show kids using their imaginations, and there is no limit to what these kids can dream up. Viewers can sometimes relate to the children having school problems, like having no friends, or a class bully. This is also a great movie that shows friendship. However, there are a few sad moments, the biggest easily being one of the main characters dwowning in a river. And evil creatures the kids believe are there(But really not). I thought this movie was really good, with a great message. Overall, a very touching movie.
Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written byMangoFlamingo May 3, 2010

I'd wait a bit longer than age 8....

I just finished watching this movie alone as I was planning on showing it to my kids on the weekend (nearly 6 & 8). I thought it was quite cute, a bit scary (due to the imagination characters) but generally really good...until the death. I was crying my eyes out...sooooo I think I'm going to wait a few years to let them watch it. At least age 9, but possibly 10...
Teen, 13 years old Written bytweeni February 21, 2010

R-E-A-L-L-Y sad!

(spoiler alert!) REALLY sad! leslie dies, which is a real shocker. the movie seems kid-friendly at first, but it kinda turns around after her death. i was amazed at the nerve moviemakers have putting such a tragic death in a kid movie. apart from that, ok, but it can get confusing.

I don't really like this movie

the headline says it all
Kid, 11 years old July 23, 2013

Amazing Movie!

Leslie's death is like, the point of the movie! This movie teaches kids about death, that it happens, and it can happen to kids, and how to deal with it.
Parent Written byMad Dad 2 September 7, 2011

Your kids will cry

They killed Leslie for no reason. Walt Disney is rolling in his grave over this one.
Parent of a 5 year old Written byslantmaster March 20, 2011

It is a good movie that even parents could watch with their child. The only offputting thing is the death of a character but it's not all that bad and it isn't actually shown in the film, sort of the same thing going on as "My Girl"
Teen, 15 years old Written byarthur16morgana January 14, 2011

sweet movie

i love this movie.its sweet but it was sad when the girl died.i saw it in theaters with my dad. he said he doesnt like it because the girl died.
Kid, 10 years old December 6, 2010

Good movie :)

I love this movie and the book though it's really sad. I said 8 and up because some kids get really sad. If there's a muture 6 year old though then go for it!
Teen, 13 years old Written byThreeDaysGracesGirl November 3, 2010

This movie... was so good. I cannot stress that enough.
Kid, 12 years old June 19, 2010

Hate It.

I Hate it! It is horrible. They kill a 11 year old girl! How terrible is that. I heard alot of people said that you will cry but i did not. It was upsetting but not that much. Overall, a terrible movie.
Parent of a 11 year old Written bytishtay February 16, 2010

Great story with los of adventure. It might be a bit sad for kids to watch the loss of a main and dear character. It is a good story with some really great messages