All member reviews for Bright Eyes

This "Good Ship Lollipop" is sweet, but sad, too.

Parent Written byStepMomSterToo June 26, 2010

A True Classic

I love this movie. There is bullying, but nothing a kid can't relate to in some way. As long as your kids know this is not good behavior, which the movie clearly shows in the unlikeable bully. The mother does die, so that is a bit emotional, but having seen this as a kid myself (around 9), I found it to be touching but not damaging. There is no death scene. There is the sound of a car accident, but no visual of the death. Younger kids (8 and younger) might find this troubling. Know your kids! I think this movie is wonderful and uplifting, a true classic. Death is a part of life, but parents will have to make the call.
Parent of a 4 and 6 year old Written byheather13 January 7, 2012

More violent than expected

Watched this tonight with my two girls who are 3 and 6. Shame on me for not watching it alone first or checking out this website like I do for every current movie! It was much too scary for my youngest who was concerned about the mother who is hit by a car and shown lying on the ground (I was able to divert their attention enough to minimize the situation). Shirley's father is already deceased in the film but that is handled very well and she is a very happy, gentle child. There is a lot of action with young kids versus adult dialogue which kept both of my children well entertained. We discussed the brattiness of the other girl in the film, but I basically turned off the movie soon after the mother died. My older daughter was able to follow what was happening but wasn't negatively affected. I think it's a great film to select scene by scene, as there are some great messages. One other possible concern - the bratty child questions whether there is a Santa but of course others are adamant that he exists.
Adult Written byCSM Screen Name... April 9, 2008