All member reviews for Brother Future

A moving story of slavery and freedom.

Educator and Parent Written byMrs. Bremer February 7, 2013

A Great Message on Many Levels

I am a teacher who uses this during Black History Month. It teaches about slavery, but more importantly about the importance of reading and education. It also teaches about giving of oneself without an expectation of reward.
Parent of a 17 year old Written byfaithful1 March 1, 2011

I teach 11th and 12th grade at a Ill. Hs. We have found this movie to be instrumental.
Parent of a 13, 15, and 16 year old Written byTeacher101 September 26, 2009

Perfect movie for children 9+

Wow this movie is amazing. At first i thought i wouldn't like it but at the end it had a really good message about self discovery. I had my daughter (9), niece (10), and nephew(11) watch it, and they were all captivated in it. They were upset when i just had to pause the movie for a few minute.
Adult Written bypicky consumer August 11, 2009

Not Believable Tale of a Cult Leader

We thought this would be a decent movie. It's not even worth the $1 we paid at the library to buy it. It was still sealed, and we wondered why someone would donate a brand new DVD. Denmark Vesey is portrayed as a Christian hero who wanted to help his fellow slave by planning a rebellion. He quoted the Bible to rally slaves to fight for his cause and their freedom. Though the movie doesn't spell it out, the rebellion would involve murder. The PBS site says that he enlisted an African man who practiced rituals and traditions bordering on occultism. How's that for family movie fare? VIOLENCE: There are two brutal beatings where slaves are whipped. Blood is not shown, but there are shots of the backs of the slaves. ALCOHOL: A slavemaster drinks from his jug in several scenes and is drunk. Alcohol is shown being served at a formal party. MESSAGE/ROLE MODELS: Covered this in the opening paragraphs.
Adult Written byNunya April 19, 2009

I remember watching this movie in elementary school, and it impacted me in a huge way. I still think about it now that I'm in college. It made me cry when I watched it in school, and/but I've yet to gain the courage to watch it again.