All member reviews for Bye Bye Birdie

Fun but dated musical will appeal to parents more than kids.

Parent of a 9 and 12 year old Written byJpalisades May 8, 2011

Dated but super fun for the whole family.

This is one of our favorite movies at our house. Yes, it's dated, yes, the female role models are ridiculous, but in our house the kids are well aware that things aren't like that any more and that a woman's purpose in life isn't to find a man and get married. I did have to explain who Conrad Birdie was supposed to be (Elvis) and who Ed Sullivan was.. but the rest takes care of itself. We talk about all that and just enjoy this campy, hillarious romp. The kids will be singing the songs for days to come -- it turned both of my kids (boy age 11 and girl age 8) into Musical buffs! We've now also seen How To Succeed in Business, Guys and Dolls, South Pacific, Oaklahoma, etc. I just trust their intelligence and we talk about how things were different back then and how far we've come as a society. Good, fun, entertainment for all!
Parent Written byParent of Three March 7, 2011

Good discussion starter for older teens but too many risque images and messages for the pre-teen set.

Aside from the obvious theme of adolescent obsession with a ; heart throb figure...two of the main characters in the movie actually drug the conductor of the ballet that is sharing the stage in order to gain more air time for their act. The girlfriend/ secretary of the same duo above also believing herself dumped by the momma's boy producer goes about crashing a private lodge meeting to gain a little male attention ( mainly by dancing ) but a lot of innuendo going on and she finds she is now in over her head until her beau finally finds her just in the nick of time.
Parent of a 10 and 12 year old Written byJojano July 17, 2013

One unexpected scene...

Both of my kids (ages 10 & 12) enjoyed this movie. After reviewing this website, however, I was surprised to see one of the female characters changing clothes and seeing her in her bra. That is not mentioned anywhere in the review so I was not expecting it...not a problem for me and my daughter, but I think my son was uncomfortable.
Teen, 14 years old Written byVenezia June 23, 2014

Great movie

I love this movie and find myself singing the songs all the time! As a teen girl I'm one for romance but everything is too extreme. Hugo and Kim have a very cute, innocent relationship. All they share is one brief kiss, which you don't see in modern movies. Conrad birdie is very over-the-top and it's extremely funny, especially his fangirls. However younger people might get bored with the romance and dramatized fandom but anyone my age will love it!
Parent Written byCAROLYN AND MY MAREN October 21, 2011

It's a great movie

I think it is a great movie my daugter loves it too!!!!!!!
Kid, 10 years old June 18, 2011

LOVE!!!

its my favorite thing in the whole world i love bye bye birdie more than going to the beach i was even kim in a showcase for a one boy scene i love it overall and it is amazing if people understand it they would love it!