All member reviews for Cabaret

Influential '70s musical features sex and mature themes.

Teen, 14 years old Written bybwayboy February 2, 2011

Liza Minelli and Joel Grey complete create the lead roles and do it well. It is not like the musical at all and the story is completely rewritten, personally I would recommend watching the musical on youtube, but this movie is still good. There is a small amount of fights, some being bloody. There are sexy scenes and it is talked about frequently. There's some language. The main character almost always has a cigarette or glass of gin in her hand. The music and actors are amazing. The message is you can't live "life is a cabaret"is very powerful.
Adult Written byWhitcomb T Johnstone October 22, 2011

Thought provoking musical to watch with your kids.

We listened to the soundtrack of this musical on the tape player in my Dad's car on the way to Grandma's house when I was a kid (6-7, I think)! The songs led to some good discussions about the rise of Naziism and parallels with political extremism in the US. I've loved the music all my life, though I didn't see the film itself until I was an adult. I think that either the soundtrack or the movie itself are wonderful for watching/listening to and discussing with your kids, but this is not a movie for kids to view on their own.
Teen, 13 years old Written byDoctor Who Lover March 13, 2012

Cabaret: a great musical for teens and up

Cabaret is a great musical. But first, you have to understand the story a bit to really get into it. There is quite a bit of sex talk, smoking/drinking, and some violence. But overall, it's a great musical, and I hope that anyone who sees it will enjoy it as much as I did and still do.
Parent Written byViloet August 17, 2013

Good movie

Teen, 13 years old Written byZoelopez December 31, 2013

Liza at her best

Cabaret is the musical that led me to wanting to be a Broadway star. Liza Minnelli is at her best in this musical. Her singing was so beautiful. Watching her makes me realize she and her Mum (Judy Garland) are much alike in terms of singing. The songs Liza Minnelli sings make sense but Joel Grey's songs have nothing to do with the story line, it's very confusing. The story is okay at the begging but the ending is sort of a wreck. The movie should only be watched by mature teens. There is abortion, sex, and has lots of adult situations that they won't understand. Overall, without Liza's scenes the movie would've sucked.
Teen, 15 years old Written bySecondSider October 31, 2013

A great musical

A great musical, among my favourites as well. Liza Minnelli is terrific in here.