All member reviews for Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Heavy fantasy violence, but no sex in superhero sequel.

Educator Written byPrairie Teacher April 10, 2014

Way too violent for kids

This film neither feels like a sequel to the Avengers nor like a sequel to the nostalgia-laced first Captain America film. The violence is on par with some of the heaviest R-rated action films of the 90s- just minus the blood. There are at least a dozen hard-hitting hand-to-hand combat scenes which feel far more brutal than any Marvel hero movie to date. There are also a dozen or more scenes with ridiculous gun rampages-- firing real bullets in realistic urban settings. Again, no comic-book gloss here-- it's more like Michael Mann's Heat than a superhero matinee. The film is entertaining, well-scripted, and carefully paced, and will be enjoyed by adult fans of the characters or Marvel universe. And by fans of ultra-violent action. But it seemed like a whole bunch of parents were bringing their 8 and under kids with no regard whatsoever to the nightmare-inducing intensity of the non-stop onslaught of death and destruction. Park the kids in front of a cartoon, or get them to read a comic book, instead of taking them to this murder-fest.
Teen, 17 years old Written byshrekmaster April 4, 2014

Cap knows it!

The film is amazing! It's a typical Marvel Movie! No blood, all shooting. Know your kids!
Parent Written bysheltonw April 25, 2014

Too Many Curse Words

Great action. Plot was wonderful, but I just couldn't get pass the curse words in the movie. It was more disappointing to see all the good guys saying the curse words. The bad guys didn't say any. So what are we teaching are children, if you want to be a good guy "curse". The movie would have been an incredible feature if they had just been like George Washington and said "“The foolish and wicked practice of profane cursing and swearing is a vice so mean and low that every person of sense and character detests and despises it”. That is what Captain America should be saying if he truly represented the U.S.
Adult Written bylinkland April 5, 2014

Cap Strikes Again!

Captain America:Winter Solider is an action packed movie. It has lots of fighting scenes including lots of shooting, stabbing, fist fights, and choking. There isn't a lot of blood only some. It is funny with some one liners, but is some swearing. The movie showed great role models of being strong and put themselves out there. There is one punching scene at the end of the movie that is pretty brutal. They show Black Widow being a very strong woman in all the scenes she is in. They really explain how the first movie relates. For kids 9 or younger would likely get scared or cry during some of the fighting and sad scenes. There are lots of parts that you don't expect, some you just jump to! Captain America gives a good message that you have to be STRONG! Captain America:Winter Soldier is an AWESOME movie and I highly recommend it!
Parent of a 10 year old Written byMamaBearNJ April 23, 2014
LEARNING

Great characters & messages, but intense violence undercuts its morality

Steve Rogers (a.k.a. Captain America) is the ultimate pure-hearted hero. His superpowers (the result of a military experiment in WWII) make him the perfect warrior, but he doesn't believe in using violence except as a last resort. He's intelligent enough to question whether his orders make sense and whether S.H.I.E.L.D. is really acting in the best interests of the American people, and public-spirited enough to throw himself on a grenade (literally in his first movie, and figuratively many times after that) to save others' lives. All these qualities make him the perfect hero to respond to the threat of treachery within S.H.I.E.L.D. Warned to trust no one, he instead uses his judgement to find allies worthy of trust: Black Widow (whose world-weary, I've-seen-everything attitude serves as a foil to Captain America's innocence), and Sam, a compassionate Iraq War vet who runs support groups for his fellow veterans and agrees to take in the two superheroes when they're fugitives from S.H.I.E.L.D. This turns out to be a great choice, because Sam is actually a superhero in his own right: the Falcon, a lesser-known comic book hero created as a pioneering African-American superhero. Both Capt. America and the Falcon are terrific role models who balance strength and courage with compassion and a deep consciousness of the consequences of their actions. Even bad-girl Black Widow acts as a good role model in her own way, sticking her neck out to protect Steve, and daring to do the right thing even when the villain threatens to make all her most scandalous secrets public. Ultimately, it's not so much Captain America's strength as his capacity to care for others--even for his adversary, the Winter Soldier--that changes the world. He resists the demand that he simply kill the Winter Soldier, and keeps trying to reach him as a human being. However, this moral underpinning of the movie is often undermined by its flashy scenes of all-too-lifelike violence. By lifelike I mean that the weapons are guns, not goofy special effects weapons like the magic spear in Avengers. All the shooting can undermine the antiviolent message of the dialog & plot, leaving kids with the impression that guns are a solution to your problems. I think parents can counteract this, however, by talking about the importance of Captain America's reluctance to use violence and making sure that's the message kids hear when they see this movie. My husband, a history teacher, would want me to point out that the movie misuses the phrase "Winter Soldier," a quote from Thomas Paine which was actually a positive reference to patriots who didn't desert the cause when the going got tough. Really, he says, Captain America is the "winter soldier" who never gives up standing up for what's right, regardless of what it costs him.
Teen, 13 years old Written byRobby Berger April 18, 2014

An amazing and exciting sequel to the first Captain America

I was personally thrilled by seeing this movie, but also surprised at all the action and plot twists in it as well. It has at least twice the action of the first one and some intense scenes where a man has people attach a thing to their lapel which he says will allow them access to anywhere in the building, but in actuality, cause a large hole to burn through the wear's torso. A little creepy. Another creepy scene is when Cap's old nemisis from the first movie is computerized and has a really creepy computerized "face". When the winter soldier (I won't say who it is) finds out that he knew cap at one point, has his memory erased and that scene is a little wierd.
Parent of a 9 year old Written bypaulgibbons April 10, 2014

Fine and fun

A fun movie extending super hero trope. When I was 6 it was Batman, Superman and the Lone Ranger - and we read all the comics. I think parents who hold their (esp boys) back from seeing movies such as this are being over protective and paranoid (and there is no evidence to back up that stance). Research does show that talking to kids about good and evil, about moral dilemmas, about whether fight was justifies completely mitigates harmful effects. My 9 year old has been watching sci-fi and super hero movies since 3. In contrary to what the worry warts would believe he is committedly anti-gun, anti-violence, anti-war (as am I). We are both pacifists but enjoy fiction - and this is just that a fun story for kids...
Parent of a 9 year old Written byHawkeye71 April 5, 2014

Gratuitous violence

I really enjoyed the first Captain America film and was looking forward to this one. I was quite surprised at the amount of completely unnecessary violence in this film. The plot was good and there were several interesting messages (the NSA security state angle is especially timely), but the gratuitous violence really marred this film. It seemed like at least 500 people were shot in this film. Totally unnecessary, and really, this violence detracted from the bigger messages in the film. It's one thing to see people get beat up, to see military vehicles/carriers destroyed, but the visceral and in-your-face violence was not needed and distracted from the film.
Parent of a 10, 12, 14, and 15 year old Written byLarisajenkins July 5, 2014

Good clean fun

We love this hero. Not the avengers, but a great family movie.
Parent Written byWildstar April 22, 2014

Good action, but VERY iffy for pre-teens

I've found this site to be extremely helpful with vetting movies, but the Winter Soldier is what prompted me to sign up and write a quick review. The first Captain America was OK for a mature 11 or 12 year old (in my humble opinion), as was the Avengers. So before I saw this movie I was struggling with why this site had rated Winter Soldier for older kids, and now that I've seen it I tend to agree: On the plus side the violence lacks gore and torture, but unlike the Avengers it's people (not monster-aliens) getting shot - very often and often at close range. Think about that scene in "Catching Fire" where Katniss kind of sees the man getting shot in the head when the door closes? If that happened 3, 4 or 10 more times in the movie I'd say it clearly becomes inappropriate for pre-teens. Winter Soldier has great action for teens and adults but it's a case study on why gore/torture isn't the only red flag for violence with pre-teens.
Kid, 12 years old April 18, 2014

EPIC

This was an AMAAAAAAZING movie. I loved it. There was no sex, just a brief kiss when Captain America and The Black Widow have to pretend they are a couple. However, there is a TON of violence. I'm a mature 12 year old and am not fazed by much, but some parts even creeped me out a bit. The particularly creepy parts are when the police start targeting and trying to kill Nick in very extreme ways, when the freaky dead scientist appears in the computer, and when The Winter Soldier has flashbacks of his surgery and gets brainwashed (lots of screaming). There's plenty of shooting and some electrocution when Captain America beats up his attackers in an elevator. This is a very epic (and heartwrenching, at the end) movie. Totally worth seeing!
Adult Written byThat90sguy April 5, 2014

More violent, but much more exciting!

Captain America: The Winter Soilder is like seeing a Summer movie, but in the Spring. It's got loads of exciting and tense action scenes, witty and clever writing, and is a blast in the movie theaters. The plot was a little hard to follow, as it is a bit different from the regular Marvel movies. It's about who to trust or how life can be a struggle for some people and the winter solider himself isn't really the main villian. It's this organization called HYDRA who secretly works inside SHIELD so they can sacrafice freedom for safety, which isn't in the real plans for HYDRA.The only thing objectionable with this movie is the violence as every hit that someone takes from the quick hand-to-hand combat feels so powerfully painful it's almost cringeworthy. It can be hard to watch, but this movie is still highly enjoyable and full of great action sequences despite the shakey cam. Overall, this movie is more exciting than the original, but the heavy violence should keep the tweens away.
Parent of a 11 year old Written byedklat August 26, 2014
Teen, 13 years old Written bybeautyshopbass April 21, 2014

EXCELLENT!!!

Thank you, Marvel, for never failing my expectations. Just wow. The Winter Soldier was an excellently made movie. For me, as a 13 year old, this wasn't the most violent movie I've ever seen. I won't deny that there isn't plenty of violence, or language for that matter, but it's not something that you need to cover your kid's ears or eyes for. You shouldn't be taking your child to see this movie if they want heroes to always win, because this movie shows that while not every superhero always wins or succeeds in their goal, they show the attributes to make it there. You shouldn't take your child to see this movie if you don't want them hearing words like "s***" or "h***". Personally, I thought I heard "b****" in one part, but I don't know. In my opinion, you should make a wise decision based on your child's knowledge and maturity whether or not to see this movie.
Teen, 14 years old Written byCritic101 April 21, 2014

My thoughts

Its definetly a good movie to watch if your looking for entertainment, it keeps you geussing! Its pretty appropriate for kids over 10 or 12 with the violence it contains, but its nothing major.
Teen, 13 years old Written byhyperactivefood April 14, 2014

Wow!

This movie is amazing. Trust me, if your kids haven't heard a bad word or seen a kiss...then my question is have you been keeping them in a box? This movie is a-okay for 8 and up. To be honest, do you really think some kid is going "Wow! I wanna go around kicking arse like captain america and swearing and kissing black widow!" No...kids say "Wow! I wanna have a shield!" Its really okay. I guess its like the whole barbie epidemic. When I was younger I didn't say "I wanna be thin, blonde haired, tall, make up caked, Like Barbie!" I said "Wow! I so wanna curl her hair!" I don't think the consumerism was meant to be consumerism...I think its meant to be like "Hey! Did you catch that Iron Man Doll?"
Educator and Parent Written byMovie Review Maven June 1, 2014

Superhero magic

Movie Title: Captain America: The Winter Soldier [HD] Grade: A- In a Nutshell: A great marvel! This mile-a-minute action flick is the second installment in the Captain America franchise and a terrific stand-alone story that is compelling and complex. Sequels are notorious for not being as good, but this gritty one is winning high praises from Marvel fans and newbies alike. It’s a smart political thriller that makes you feel like you just saw a real movie. It’s brave enough to tackle serious issues such as national security, government surveillance and the price of freedom. Marvel is really doing it right, pumping out one fun flick after another. The Amazing Spider-Man , X-Men: Days of Future Past , and Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 1: Cosmic Avengers hit the big screen in just weeks! It’s a little bit helpful to have seen the first Captain America film, but if not, don’t worry…you’ll catch on quickly. Uplifting theme: Wouldn’t it be great if American patriotism were cool again? Things I liked: The Winter Soldier is an interesting villain. Three Days of the Condor [HD] star Robert Redford reminds us how cool those 1970s espionage movies were. I love clever banter between fun characters. Scarlett Johansson plays Natasha Romanoff who steals scenes with Rogers (Captain America), played by the impressively buff Chris Evans. You’ll most likely see a trailer before this movie that features Scarlett Johansson in the upcoming film that looks like it has some good potential: Lucy I love Sam Wilson’s evolution into a superhero with the aid of his uber-awesome jet-powered wings. The opening scene with Chris Evans in an Under Armour shirt…wow. My kids gross out whenever I talk about male actors like that, but hey, I’m not dead. Scenes where everyone points a gun at everyone else in a stand-off always crack me up. I’m glad we get to see the man behind the mask. The Winter Soldier’s mask gets knocked off fairly early in the film and we learn more about him as the film develops. The CGI was great and believable. I thought the slow-motion scene toward the end was great. I thought the list of things Captain America made of things he needed to catch up on was pretty cute. It included Tai food, Disco, Moon landing, and Marvin Gaye. I LOVED the finale of How I Met Your Mother: The Complete Series , so I enjoyed seeing Cobie Smulders again. I love it when Stan Lee makes his cameo performance. His big line in this installment of his Marvel character movies is “Oh man! I am so fired.” Ha ha I loved watching a middle-aged woman in a dress suit kick bad-guy butt. Things I didn’t like: It didn’t have as much humor as The Avengers or Iron Man movies. Some people may criticize the movie for being unrealistic. Well, duh…it’s a superhero movie. (PHOTO ON LEFT: One of our pastry students at Le Cordon Bleu Culinary School, where I teach, designed a special sugar structure to celebrate Captain America! Everything in her design is edible!) Funny lines: Nick Fury says “We’re gonna neutralize a lot of threats before they even happen.” Captain America replies “I thought the punishment came after the crime.” Natasha asks “Hey fellas, either one of you know where the Smithsonian is? I’m here to pick up a fossil.” Captain America says “That’s hilarious” as he gets in her car. Falcon yells “How do we know the good guys from the bad guys?” Captain America yells back as they run towards danger “If they’re shooting at you, they’re bad!” Natasha asks “You doing anything fun Saturday night?” Captain America answers “Well, all the guys in my barbershop quartet are dead…so, no, not really.” Captain America says “You don’t have to come with me.” Falcon replies “I know. When do we start?” Falcon says to the Cap “You know you’re a lot heavier than you look.” Captain America chirps back “I had a big breakfast.” A soldier on a plane that Captain America jumps out of says to another soldier “Was he wearing a parachute?” “No, no he wasn’t.” “Secure the engine room. Then find me a date.” - Captain America “You’re wrong about me. I do share. I’m nice like that.” – Agent Nick Fury “I do what he does, just slower.” - Falcon, referring to Captain America. Did you know? The Avengers was almost a rated R movie. Some of the violence was a bit too much, so the directors had to tone it down and resubmit it. There is LOT of violence in Captain America: The Winter Soldier [HD] , but they tried hard to not get an R rating so that kids could watch it. Parents, be prepared for lots of shooting, explosions, and collateral damage. Robert Downey Jr. has already convinced us how cool he is, but he took it up another notch when he invited 20 kids to join him at his house to watch Captain America: The Winter Soldier [HD] . He posted this note on his Facebook page “What better way to spend my birthday than recognizing the cosmic miracle of Captain America 2 opening the same day.” Nice. Agent Nick Fury trades in his eye patch for a set of cool shades. You even get to see what’s underneath his patch. If you’re currently watching the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. TV show, see this movie first, and then continue watching the TV series. Keep watching after the credits roll for a teaser.
Adult Written bychademe94 May 8, 2014

Acceptable for most 13 yr olds

The good: A great movie with lots of action, interesting plot twists, and great special effects. The bad: Pretty violent. Lots and lots of physical fights. Several swear words.
Teen, 13 years old Written byfuzzmee May 1, 2014

Great writing, funny, and NO smut.

This is an all-around great movie. You know how sometimes when you go to watch a movie and you think to yourself, "Ugh, this movie is so stupid. I can't wait 'til it's over."? I DIDN'T think that ONCE while watching The Winter Soldier. I think it is great because the story is gripping and you're never bored, for once the comedy is clever and not dirty, and the graphics were awesome. My little sister (10) came to the theaters to watch it with me and she loved it. I don't get how some people said on this website this was an "adult" movie because it obviously isn't. The only thing that was inappropriate was how Black Widow shows some uneeded cleavage and the trailers before the movie were nasty. But I guess everone has their opinion. :) The winter Soldier is worth the money to go and see it.
Teen, 16 years old Written byPhoenixfire12003 April 26, 2014

Amazing Marvel movie; the absolute best, with quite a bit of violence.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier does not disappoint in ANY aspect. Despite the thoughts of other users, I found this movie to be eons better than The Avengers, as I was bored in some cases during that movie. However, I was never bored during this movie! *SPOILERS AHEAD* Violence: 9/10 There was a heavy amount of violence; but one particular scene that creeper me out. The Winter Soldier (aka Bucky) begins to remember Cap, but the HYDRA workers brainwash/torture him in one scene, which featured very loud screaming. In the after credits scene, there are the very creepy "twins" that scared the living daylight out of my 8-year old sister. Other than that, not much "scary" violence, other than a few jump scares, but there are a few scenes that are quite graphic, (a man gets a knife thrown in his hand, Nick Fury removes his eyepatch, Cap's face is a bloody mess during the final showdown, etc.) Sex: 1/10Two kisses, one mention of "public affection" that some parents might not appreciate. Language: 7/10 A few "h-'ll"s "d@mn"s and one Son of a b. Overall, a great movie, should not be missed by Marvel fans and non-Marvel fans alike.