All member reviews for Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Heavy fantasy violence, but no sex in superhero sequel.

Teen, 17 years old Written byshrekmaster April 4, 2014

Cap knows it!

The film is amazing! It's a typical Marvel Movie! No blood, all shooting. Know your kids!
Educator Written byPrairie Teacher April 10, 2014

Way too violent for kids

This film neither feels like a sequel to the Avengers nor like a sequel to the nostalgia-laced first Captain America film. The violence is on par with some of the heaviest R-rated action films of the 90s- just minus the blood. There are at least a dozen hard-hitting hand-to-hand combat scenes which feel far more brutal than any Marvel hero movie to date. There are also a dozen or more scenes with ridiculous gun rampages-- firing real bullets in realistic urban settings. Again, no comic-book gloss here-- it's more like Michael Mann's Heat than a superhero matinee. The film is entertaining, well-scripted, and carefully paced, and will be enjoyed by adult fans of the characters or Marvel universe. And by fans of ultra-violent action. But it seemed like a whole bunch of parents were bringing their 8 and under kids with no regard whatsoever to the nightmare-inducing intensity of the non-stop onslaught of death and destruction. Park the kids in front of a cartoon, or get them to read a comic book, instead of taking them to this murder-fest.
Parent Written bysheltonw April 25, 2014

Too Many Curse Words

Great action. Plot was wonderful, but I just couldn't get pass the curse words in the movie. It was more disappointing to see all the good guys saying the curse words. The bad guys didn't say any. So what are we teaching are children, if you want to be a good guy "curse". The movie would have been an incredible feature if they had just been like George Washington and said "“The foolish and wicked practice of profane cursing and swearing is a vice so mean and low that every person of sense and character detests and despises it”. That is what Captain America should be saying if he truly represented the U.S.
Teen, 13 years old Written byRobby Berger April 18, 2014

An amazing and exciting sequel to the first Captain America

I was personally thrilled by seeing this movie, but also surprised at all the action and plot twists in it as well. It has at least twice the action of the first one and some intense scenes where a man has people attach a thing to their lapel which he says will allow them access to anywhere in the building, but in actuality, cause a large hole to burn through the wear's torso. A little creepy. Another creepy scene is when Cap's old nemisis from the first movie is computerized and has a really creepy computerized "face". When the winter soldier (I won't say who it is) finds out that he knew cap at one point, has his memory erased and that scene is a little wierd.
Adult Written bylinkland April 5, 2014

Cap Strikes Again!

Captain America:Winter Solider is an action packed movie. It has lots of fighting scenes including lots of shooting, stabbing, fist fights, and choking. There isn't a lot of blood only some. It is funny with some one liners, but is some swearing. The movie showed great role models of being strong and put themselves out there. There is one punching scene at the end of the movie that is pretty brutal. They show Black Widow being a very strong woman in all the scenes she is in. They really explain how the first movie relates. For kids 9 or younger would likely get scared or cry during some of the fighting and sad scenes. There are lots of parts that you don't expect, some you just jump to! Captain America gives a good message that you have to be STRONG! Captain America:Winter Soldier is an AWESOME movie and I highly recommend it!
Parent of a 9 year old Written byHawkeye71 April 5, 2014

Gratuitous violence

I really enjoyed the first Captain America film and was looking forward to this one. I was quite surprised at the amount of completely unnecessary violence in this film. The plot was good and there were several interesting messages (the NSA security state angle is especially timely), but the gratuitous violence really marred this film. It seemed like at least 500 people were shot in this film. Totally unnecessary, and really, this violence detracted from the bigger messages in the film. It's one thing to see people get beat up, to see military vehicles/carriers destroyed, but the visceral and in-your-face violence was not needed and distracted from the film.
Parent of a 10 year old Written byMamaBearNJ April 23, 2014

LEARNING

Great characters & messages, but intense violence undercuts its morality

Steve Rogers (a.k.a. Captain America) is the ultimate pure-hearted hero. His superpowers (the result of a military experiment in WWII) make him the perfect warrior, but he doesn't believe in using violence except as a last resort. He's intelligent enough to question whether his orders make sense and whether S.H.I.E.L.D. is really acting in the best interests of the American people, and public-spirited enough to throw himself on a grenade (literally in his first movie, and figuratively many times after that) to save others' lives. All these qualities make him the perfect hero to respond to the threat of treachery within S.H.I.E.L.D. Warned to trust no one, he instead uses his judgement to find allies worthy of trust: Black Widow (whose world-weary, I've-seen-everything attitude serves as a foil to Captain America's innocence), and Sam, a compassionate Iraq War vet who runs support groups for his fellow veterans and agrees to take in the two superheroes when they're fugitives from S.H.I.E.L.D. This turns out to be a great choice, because Sam is actually a superhero in his own right: the Falcon, a lesser-known comic book hero created as a pioneering African-American superhero. Both Capt. America and the Falcon are terrific role models who balance strength and courage with compassion and a deep consciousness of the consequences of their actions. Even bad-girl Black Widow acts as a good role model in her own way, sticking her neck out to protect Steve, and daring to do the right thing even when the villain threatens to make all her most scandalous secrets public. Ultimately, it's not so much Captain America's strength as his capacity to care for others--even for his adversary, the Winter Soldier--that changes the world. He resists the demand that he simply kill the Winter Soldier, and keeps trying to reach him as a human being. However, this moral underpinning of the movie is often undermined by its flashy scenes of all-too-lifelike violence. By lifelike I mean that the weapons are guns, not goofy special effects weapons like the magic spear in Avengers. All the shooting can undermine the antiviolent message of the dialog & plot, leaving kids with the impression that guns are a solution to your problems. I think parents can counteract this, however, by talking about the importance of Captain America's reluctance to use violence and making sure that's the message kids hear when they see this movie. My husband, a history teacher, would want me to point out that the movie misuses the phrase "Winter Soldier," a quote from Thomas Paine which was actually a positive reference to patriots who didn't desert the cause when the going got tough. Really, he says, Captain America is the "winter soldier" who never gives up standing up for what's right, regardless of what it costs him.
Parent of a 9 year old Written bypaulgibbons April 10, 2014

Fine and fun

A fun movie extending super hero trope. When I was 6 it was Batman, Superman and the Lone Ranger - and we read all the comics. I think parents who hold their (esp boys) back from seeing movies such as this are being over protective and paranoid (and there is no evidence to back up that stance). Research does show that talking to kids about good and evil, about moral dilemmas, about whether fight was justifies completely mitigates harmful effects. My 9 year old has been watching sci-fi and super hero movies since 3. In contrary to what the worry warts would believe he is committedly anti-gun, anti-violence, anti-war (as am I). We are both pacifists but enjoy fiction - and this is just that a fun story for kids...
Parent of a 10, 12, 14, and 15 year old Written byLarisajenkins July 5, 2014

Good clean fun

We love this hero. Not the avengers, but a great family movie.
Parent Written byWildstar April 22, 2014

Good action, but VERY iffy for pre-teens

I've found this site to be extremely helpful with vetting movies, but the Winter Soldier is what prompted me to sign up and write a quick review. The first Captain America was OK for a mature 11 or 12 year old (in my humble opinion), as was the Avengers. So before I saw this movie I was struggling with why this site had rated Winter Soldier for older kids, and now that I've seen it I tend to agree: On the plus side the violence lacks gore and torture, but unlike the Avengers it's people (not monster-aliens) getting shot - very often and often at close range. Think about that scene in "Catching Fire" where Katniss kind of sees the man getting shot in the head when the door closes? If that happened 3, 4 or 10 more times in the movie I'd say it clearly becomes inappropriate for pre-teens. Winter Soldier has great action for teens and adults but it's a case study on why gore/torture isn't the only red flag for violence with pre-teens.
Kid, 12 years old April 18, 2014

EPIC

This was an AMAAAAAAZING movie. I loved it. There was no sex, just a brief kiss when Captain America and The Black Widow have to pretend they are a couple. However, there is a TON of violence. I'm a mature 12 year old and am not fazed by much, but some parts even creeped me out a bit. The particularly creepy parts are when the police start targeting and trying to kill Nick in very extreme ways, when the freaky dead scientist appears in the computer, and when The Winter Soldier has flashbacks of his surgery and gets brainwashed (lots of screaming). There's plenty of shooting and some electrocution when Captain America beats up his attackers in an elevator. This is a very epic (and heartwrenching, at the end) movie. Totally worth seeing!
Adult Written byThat90sguy April 5, 2014

More violent, but much more exciting!

Captain America: The Winter Soilder is like seeing a Summer movie, but in the Spring. It's got loads of exciting and tense action scenes, witty and clever writing, and is a blast in the movie theaters. The plot was a little hard to follow, as it is a bit different from the regular Marvel movies. It's about who to trust or how life can be a struggle for some people and the winter solider himself isn't really the main villian. It's this organization called HYDRA who secretly works inside SHIELD so they can sacrafice freedom for safety, which isn't in the real plans for HYDRA.The only thing objectionable with this movie is the violence as every hit that someone takes from the quick hand-to-hand combat feels so powerfully painful it's almost cringeworthy. It can be hard to watch, but this movie is still highly enjoyable and full of great action sequences despite the shakey cam. Overall, this movie is more exciting than the original, but the heavy violence should keep the tweens away.
Parent of a 11 year old Written byedklat August 26, 2014

Teen, 13 years old Written byfuzzmee May 1, 2014

Great writing, funny, and NO smut.

This is an all-around great movie. You know how sometimes when you go to watch a movie and you think to yourself, "Ugh, this movie is so stupid. I can't wait 'til it's over."? I DIDN'T think that ONCE while watching The Winter Soldier. I think it is great because the story is gripping and you're never bored, for once the comedy is clever and not dirty, and the graphics were awesome. My little sister (10) came to the theaters to watch it with me and she loved it. I don't get how some people said on this website this was an "adult" movie because it obviously isn't. The only thing that was inappropriate was how Black Widow shows some uneeded cleavage and the trailers before the movie were nasty. But I guess everone has their opinion. :) The winter Soldier is worth the money to go and see it.
Teen, 13 years old Written bybeautyshopbass April 21, 2014

EXCELLENT!!!

Thank you, Marvel, for never failing my expectations. Just wow. The Winter Soldier was an excellently made movie. For me, as a 13 year old, this wasn't the most violent movie I've ever seen. I won't deny that there isn't plenty of violence, or language for that matter, but it's not something that you need to cover your kid's ears or eyes for. You shouldn't be taking your child to see this movie if they want heroes to always win, because this movie shows that while not every superhero always wins or succeeds in their goal, they show the attributes to make it there. You shouldn't take your child to see this movie if you don't want them hearing words like "s***" or "h***". Personally, I thought I heard "b****" in one part, but I don't know. In my opinion, you should make a wise decision based on your child's knowledge and maturity whether or not to see this movie.
Teen, 14 years old Written byCritic101 April 21, 2014

My thoughts

Its definetly a good movie to watch if your looking for entertainment, it keeps you geussing! Its pretty appropriate for kids over 10 or 12 with the violence it contains, but its nothing major.
Adult Written byWill loves movies April 6, 2014

Cap's back and better than ever!

I been looking forward to this movie ever since it was announced. I am glad to say that the movie does not disappoint. Even though I think the Avengers was a better movie, I fell that the Winter Soldier had a better storyline. This movie has great messages about standing up for what is right no matter the circumstances. There are several role models in this movie including Captain America and even Black Widow. Even though this movie is fantastic, I fell that some of the violence was more intense than the Avengers. This movie has more hand to hand combat than the Avengers has. I felt that the violence in this movie definitely earned its PG-13 rating. There is some mild profanity use in this movie such as d---- and h---. There is relatively no sexual content in this movie. The only sexual content is that Black Widow and Captain America kiss so as not to be spotted. Also, Black Widow shows Steve a gunshot wound on her stomach where she says "no more bikinis" and he replies " yeah, I bet you look terribly in them." A politician also talks about how a relationship with a aspiring reporter is hurting his back. All in all, I fell that this movie is a must see for any Marvel fan. I would still recommend this movie to anyone who likes action movies. In my opinion, this is the best Marvel Cinematic Universe movie besides the Avengers. I saw little kids going to see this movie and feel that you should know if your kids can handle some of this violence because it is quite intense. You might want to screen this movie first parents before you let your younger ones see it because of the violence. I recommend this movie for kids ages 13 and up.
Kid, 12 years old December 18, 2014

Pretty violent Marvel movie

This movie is rather similar to the second Iron Man. There is a lot of hand-to-hand combat (including an awesome scene with George St-Pierre) and violence. Black Widow's costume is kind-of skimpy and she and Cap have to kiss to avoid the corrupt officials once. There is some minor language. But the best part of the movie is definitely Falcon. He is awesome.
Kid, 11 years old December 13, 2014

Incredible!

There is quite some cursing and violent scenes in the movie if I do say so myself, however this is by far the best avengers movie I have ever seen in my whole life. At one part the winter soldier shoots captain America at least 10 times before he puts in the chip afterwards he gets shot twice more and fall 80 yards out of the air and slams in to a large lake by the S.H.E.I.L.D. head quarters. And captain America uses his shield to survive a very large explosion. And some extremely intense scenes involving nick fury. Partners if you don't like the shooting it's OK either wait or just get over the fact that your kid is going up. Pretty interns for the most part but I still think it is a great movie.
Educator and Parent of a 1, 2, 4, 6, and 14 year old Written bySuperherofan May 10, 2014

No sex, language is hell damn.but a lot of violences . In fact this is the most violent Marvel movie yet.but it was a great movie.if your kid can watch The violent movie then let them see it.