Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Get age-based picks

Parent reviews for Captain Marvel

Powerful female superhero story has some violence, language.

Parent of a 10 year old Written byGlopezane March 8, 2019

Another MCU hit!

If you are an MCU fan, this movie is on the must-see list. Strong female protagonist will definitely show your little girl that no matter how many times you fall in life, what matters most is not giving up and getting right back up every single time. Mom and I usually see a movie first to find out whether our 10yr old daughter (Who is extremely sensitive to tragic, sad, scary scenes) might find the movie too scary, etc. We will definitely be taking her to see Captain Marvel and she can't wait! My wife and I worry not for violance, swearing, etc. We are more concerned when a movie has too many sexual innuendos, etc. Which this movie and overall the entire MCU has very little of.

Adult Written byBoneyardLimited March 8, 2019

They tried to make Wonder Woman, but made Green Lantern instead.

There’s not a lot to redeem this movie. It seems to confuse ‘mean’ with ‘funny’, and does so repeatedly. The main character is unlikable and arrogant, which is a bad combination. Ben Mendelsohn steals the show, which is how badly the writers portrayed Sam Jackson’s character. The action scenes are dimly lit and shake around like the camera man is afraid he’ll miss something; that combined with choppy editing makes them a jumbled mess. The skrull make-up is phenomenal, though, and the plot turn is actually not half bad. The tone was very different from other Marvel movies and felt much more like J.J. Abrams’ Start Trek movies, so if you like those movies you’re in luck.

Adult Written byMacmacandcheese March 7, 2019

Unconvinced

Honestly I feel like I was watching an actor try to play a super hero rather than an actual superhero like black widow or Thor . She was unconvincing and her facial expressions and acting just wasn’t there
Adult Written bytwocastles March 9, 2019

Very disappointing

Despite all the hoopla from both sides, I looked forward to seeing this. I just want to enjoy a movie and be entertained. This was a snoozefest for most of the movie, even in the action sequences. There could have been a better origin arc for this story. Nothing is ever explained properly. Deviates heavily from the comics, which, cinema often does. She becomes basically an unbeatable force, which is a point the anti SJW camp makes that is certainly true. Ms. Marvel / Captain Marvel was never THIS powerful. She'd never hold a candle to Thanos, but that is the angle they're playing. And distorting the role of the Kree is disappointing as well. But all that aside, the biggest annoyance I have is with the actress that plays Captain Marvel. She's so unbelievable, wooden, and unmotivated. Who is this person? She is God-awful. She's like if Kristen Stewart and Jebnnifer Lawrence melded together into one being with a higher pitched monotone voice. Marvel has so many actors that play their roles so well, and make them easy to believe and submerse yourself into the story, but she is the antithesis of that. She was grating and annoying. Like Natalie Portman and Hayden Christianson in Star Wars prequels. A much better choice would have been that woman from Vikings...what is her name? Katherine Winnick or something like that? She would have made an awesome Captain Marvel! Might have rescued this movie from the boredom it purveyed.
Adult Written byheymatt18 March 8, 2019

Captain Mehvel

This movie hit the ground with a lot of controversy. But putting that aside and going in with an open mind, I found the movie to be slow at times, uninspired, and overall a letdown especially for comic book fans. There are really no noteworthy scenes in this movie (bar the great Stan Lee cameo) and the film plays out like a phase one film. It wasnt a bad movie but it wasn’t anything special either.
Adult Written byJoshua B. March 9, 2019

So boring. Much bland.

The character of Carol Danvers (Captain Marvel) is one with no real weakness. She spends the majority of the movie as an expressionless super-powered individual who shows little to no emotion. She does not serve to be a great role-model. She treats every single situation with the same arrogant "I've got this." smirk. There is no real character arc to follow. The movie begins with Danvers being this super-powered being with no weakness who shows no emotion, and ends with Danvers being a super-powered being with no weakness who shows no emotion. The plot is rather mundane, and doesn't really draw the audience in. This is an entirely forgettable film, and seems to push the message that might makes right. You don't need to be nice to others. Vulnerability is undesired. Strength and force is the way to go. The film completely fails to give us a relatable main character with weaknesses and vulnerabilities. These are things every human has, and having those in a story allows the character to overcome those weaknesses to show what true strength really is. There is none of that in this film.

Parent of a 2, 5, and 7 year old Written byAmber L. March 9, 2019

Absolutely loved it!

This is a fun super hero movie with many positive female role models. It’s action packed without being overly or unnecessarily violent. Plus, who doesn’t love a movie with an adorable, heroic cat?

Adult Written byAbdAllah March 7, 2019

Great!

Integral to the MCU, and a must-see for Marvel and sci-fi fans in particular; and comic book and cinemagoers in general; especially those who lived through the 90s. Performances are great, the whole cast is exceptional, and the hero characters are great role models. Larson killed it as Carol and the titular hero, and I can't wait to see more of her in the MCU. The movie's so much fun. Direction, cinematography, filmscore, action, humor, emotion, vfx, editing were all great. There're hilarious moments as well as emotional, powerful, and empowering ones too. The movie's full of surprises and unexpicted twists, and carries important messages. There're a Stan Lee tribute, his signature cameo, a significant mid-credits scene, and a less significant post-credits one, but you should see it. Absolutely worth a second viewing. Go see Captain Marvel as soon as you can! You'll most definitely realize that once isn't enough!

Adult Written byDresmorris March 7, 2019

Disappointing

Very predictable. Typical plot, action, conclusion. A solid C Film. Some funny jokes but ultimately just a let down.

Adult Written byStevieMac007 March 8, 2019

Strong female lead - Strong addition to MCU

From the perspective of an adult fan of Marvel and father to 2 kids (age 6 and 9) the movie was a hit. My daughter gravitates to strong female characters, and this one has enough rough edges that she’s not completely unrelatable (ie. Wonder Woman). My son loved the action but at times I felt compelled to cover his eyes violence wise.

Parent of a 10 year old Written byPhoenix T. March 8, 2019

Horrible and poorly made film. Don't waste your money or time. A flop.

This is a really poorly concieved and badly executed film. Much of it doesn't make sense with all sorts of incoherent plot points. Disney is trying to squelch the review-bombing from people who have seen this chaotic mess. Don't waste your time or money seeing his.
Adult Written byMum9876 March 6, 2019

Great fun

3 or 4 swear words. Not too graphic violence. Great fun. Good strong characters. Reminded me of when I was a kid and saw star wars for the first time.

Parent of a 8 year old Written byGerald Z. March 8, 2019

Very violent & disappointing. This is a poorly done Marvel film.

If you are not a serious fan of the Captain marvel comic franchise, don't waste your money or time. A complete flop. Basic plot issues are poorly explained and Brie Larson is completely unconvincing as Captain Marvel. The film consistently fails to connect dots for viewers and has 'rushed' all over its execution. Basically, in the original Comic Captain Mar-Vell was an alien Kree soldier sent to Earth to keep tabs on human beings but most viewers will find the filmed explanation of all of this incoherent.. Sloppy and terribly made film. On Earth, he takes the alter ego of Walter Lawson and befriends a woman named Carol Danvers, a U.S. Air Force officer at a top secret military research facility. This most recent film release flips a lot of the script and does so in the most corny and unimaginative and poorly threaded fashion possible.

Adult Written byAPSPRICH March 9, 2019

Awesome MCU Female Lead!!

Cap'Marvel was an excellent film. Story was on point, action was good and lended to the story without being too much, too fast. The characters were a bit of a change from the source, but all in a good way. Whether you are a fan of comics or action movies, you will love it! Awesome movie for kids too :) I have no idea what the two-star people were expecting or even what they watched... Their reviews seem nothing but the MCU in general or a clear misunderstanding of what they were watching. As an avid movie goer, this was a great film and I enjoyed it very much.

Adult Written byJeremy Rivera March 9, 2019

A disappointing romp all around

Terrible music choices, poor acting, the story was completely basic and predictable. There wasn't a single point in this entire movie that I was able to sit back and enjoy. To be fair however, if anyone follows marvel comics this is the outcome they would have predicted anyways. Hopefully endgame isn't nearly as bad, I have low expectations but here's hoping. Oh and Disney, here's a little hint, don't use a dead man's Twitter to try to advertise your tradh.

Adult Written bygloriadan March 8, 2019

Great message

Ultimately this movie teaches perseverance, and the importance of getting up every time you fall. I love how the female characters support each other. Also if you're a parent who came of age in the 90's, you'll love the soundtrack. As good as any other Marvel movie. Can't see why anyone would hate it's "message" unless their problem is the female lead. There is no other "message." It's a Marvel movie.
Adult Written byAustin G. March 10, 2019

For the Entire Family

This is one of the "cleaner" MCU entries so far. The action is shot in such a way that it's not that intense, so younger viewers should be just fine with that. There are a couple of bad words, but again, this is a clean movie. Young and old alike, it's enjoyable for all.

Adult Written byjayson d. March 8, 2019
Adult Written bySandracho March 9, 2019

Good movie!

Better than I expected due to the bad ratings. Loved the chemistry duo between Carol and Fury.

Parent Written bymickrussom March 8, 2019