All member reviews for Carrie (2013)

Bloody horror remake focuses heavily on bullying, revenge.

Teen, 17 years old Written byB-KMastah October 18, 2013

Remakes are rarely good, and this is a rare example.

Firstly, this is not a remake. This is the third adaptation of the Stephen King novel. It was never the intention to remake a Brian De Palma film. Anyways, on with the review. The 1976 De Palma film is an all-time favorite of mine. I went into this simultaneously mildly excited yet apprehensive, but thank Kimberly Peirce for making a remake that isn't bad. Firstly, let me put it out there that I don't hate remakes/reboots as much as other cinephiles do, because I can always watch and advertise the original, and I'm always interested to see someone else's reimagining of source material. Despite the fact that the script is very similar to the De Palma film, I've read that this is more faithful to the novel, which must be towards the third act. It's very similar and then changes up a bit and goes bonkers. I wasn't bored, though, thanks to the acting. It's actually solid. Julianne Moore is super creepy and Chloë Grace Moretz shows her range as an actress; she has now ranged from badass to cute to innocent, in Kick-Ass, Hugo, and this, respectively. I've heard some stuff about Moretz being miscast and too pretty, but she still pulls it off. However, if I want to nitpick, it's that she's 16 in real life (probably 15 when they filmed this), but she's specifically shown to be 17 of 18. They could have just lowered her age. Also, with the film being reset to 2013, not nearly this quantity of kids would be that mean, much less heartless. It worked in 1976 but in 2013 it seemed over the top; the anti-bullying campaigns around the Internet and growing tolerance of students kind of takes you out of the movie. However, the imagery and religious symbolism stays intact and strong, which of course is thanks to the source material. But to be honest, it's an achievement in itself that they didn't butcher it. They could, however, could have cut the film a bit; even its 99-minute running time is a bit excessive. 8/10, very good, above average, one thumb up, etc.
Teen, 15 years old Written byCharlietheunicorn99 October 18, 2013

Interview with an annoying parent - then the actual review for Carrie - then a conclusion wrapping the thing up

For the record, I am a fourteen year old male. I've read the book, seen the original, and the emotionally unstable crap comes from just being a teenager. Horror movies are not a bad influence on people, people are bad influences on people. Especially kids. Kids try to keep up with what's in, or the cool kids and end up hurting themselves. By watching this movie, you are not hurting yourself. If a teen like me, was going to go see this as a first horror movie, there would be a different story. I actually got hooked on horror from Scream. But that's beside the point, parents who allow their kids to watch these types of movies are not endangering them. They're allowing them to be able to see if the children are capable of the responsibility on determining reality from fiction. But by saying that the parents should be sued for child abuse and endangering the said children, you're giving yourself a bad name by saying that you've never done that. A responsible parent would wait for the said children to become the right age before they watch these movies. In conclusion, who is the real person giving child abuse? The ones giving them a terrible life. Also, Carrie with Chloe Grace Moretz is a fantastic movie. Would love to see it more times with my dad if I could. IN FINAL CONCLUSION, parenting is about your responsibility to make sure your kids turn out responsible in the end of the race. By watching movies like this, they can turn out just fine anyway. Thanks for reading! :) Also, the key word of this review is responsible or responsibility.
Teen, 17 years old Written bySean Broucek October 18, 2013

Compelling Horror Film Isn't For Kids.

Parents, this intense remake of the Stephen King novel is compelling and well-acted, but the bloody violence and sexuality makes it too mature for young teens. Violence includes beatings, stabbings, fires, bullying, cruel pranks and behavior, bloody killings, an extensive massacre, cutting, impaling, and a brief torture scene. Sex includes a sex scene with thrusting and moaning, make out sessions, sexual references, scantily clad women and nonsexual partial nudity (breasts), and depictions of marital violence and rape. Language includes several uses of "f--k" and "s--t" (with many derivations), and also "sonofabitch", "d--k", "p---y", "c--k", and one "c--t". Also underage drinking. In the end this thought-provoking scarefest is great, but is too bloody for young teens. SUGGESTED MPAA RATING: Rated R For Bloody Violence, Disturbing Images, Sexuality, Brief Teen Drinking And Pervasive Language
Teen, 14 years old Written byCWG1 October 19, 2013

Did this top the original?? In my opinion it really did!

This one to me topped the original and this may be news some horror movie fans may love to hear while angry that they remade it. Let me say this one followed the book more, and it just felt very fresh and not really like a remake, but more like a book adaption. There is some sexual content, but unlike the other one this one has no nudity in it, but more of a censored version of what happens in the shower room. There is some kissing, and a scene where two people have sex under the covers, but this is very brief, and has no nudity. The language was rather mild and only about 5 F words. It did have more violence than the original in which the prom scene and so on is done stylized, but is still rather bloody. Honestly this was not to rough and I think a ten year old can handle it if you are okay with some sexual references including one sex scene and Violence. This movie was not that bad, could have been PG-13 if a few less F words and a little less violence. this was soft R
Teen, 14 years old Written byi just like movies October 19, 2013

Good for 14 and up

Ok so i just saw this movie today and i have to say its one of the best horror movies ive seen so far. Im a 14yr old and saw it with ma mom. The movie is very good! Sex isnt a huge issue although you see people making out and a couple briefly having sex in the back of the truck (no nudity tho) Langauge is in the movie as well but not extremly constant (f*ck,Sh*t) Now, the end of the movie is where the R rating really kicks in. At the prom as it is shown in the commercials all hell breaks loose and she starts murdering everyone. People are stabbed, electrocuted,burned, however it is not as gorey as a regular R rated film. A girl gets glass shoved in her face and is shown, the stabbings are quick but somewhat graphic. Other than that it was a great movie, it basically follows a girl that has a gift of telekenisis but is a victim of being bullied and when she gets pushed over the edge she uses her gift to punish people for hurting her. Sue is a positive role model because she tries to do her best to make Carrie happy, thus by getting her boyfriend to invite her to prom. Sadly, it didnt end so well. I think if your 14 and up you should be fine if you dont mind stabbing and stuff like that.
Teen, 13 years old Written bytac0906 October 22, 2013

Good.

It's a good movie that sends a message saying stop bullying.
Parent Written byandrea405 October 22, 2013

Be smart. Read the book and keep it and this movie away from the kids.

This movie is rated R for a reason. Not just the F word, it's got the sex, gore, language, and disturbing themes that a horror film has. I saw the original when I was under 17, because the Sissy Spacek, John Travolta original was R also. The sex was disturbing even then because I was innocent and though sex should be with someone you love and it would be tender. Kids should not see this! Not to mention animal cruelty-- remember how they got the pig's blood. Everyone is desensitized watching the cruelty. Stephen King may be genius because he's the horror master. But Hollywood has to go over the top with the gore.
Teen, 15 years old Written byStevie111 October 28, 2013

Intense, but not very frightening "horror" movie

Chloe Grace Moretz is quite good as Carrie White, who is simply pushed to her limit. The ending is pretty bloody and many teens are killed. They dissect a pig, not pleasant. The bullying and intensity I wouldn't recommend for pre-teens, but mature teens should like it. Plus, I don't usually like horror movies, and I liked this a lot.
Kid, 9 years old October 27, 2013

Think twice!

The movie is very good! But there are some parts that is OK for teens, like burning people, stepping on them, also Carrie is abused (not all the way) by her crazy, religious mother! Its good, but for little kids, think twice!
Parent of a 13 year old Written bymomcaresforever October 25, 2013

11&up for Carrie

My 11-year old daughter and I saw this movie, and enjoyed it very much. It was a brilliant remake of the 1970's version. There was a very brief sex scene, however there is no nudity in the movie. The locker room scene is nothing to worry about when it comes to nudity. Profanity was very mild.
Parent Written byJSchnier November 9, 2013

PG -13 For Bloody Violence, Disturbing Images, Language, and Sexual Content

Violence - 7/10 Sex - 6/10 Language - 5/10 Alcohol/Drugs - 1/10
Teen, 14 years old Written by5saltydog November 3, 2013

Pretty good remake

Having seen the original film and read the novel (which are both excellent and if you haven't already seen/read then I recommend!!!) i'd say this was a solid adaptation. The director took both aspects from the novel and the original film and combined them both in within this movie, even some exact dialogue in the novel was taken out put in the film, so you can honestly say that for some parts they really stuck to the book. Good acting and good effects for the most part. I defiantly left the theater feeling satisfied.
Teen, 15 years old Written byforestxx December 10, 2013

Amazing movie! Watch it! (SPOILERS!!!)

Well, the first time I saw this movies, I was amazed. I love it and it has become one of my favorites. But, there were some scenes that even I was disturbed with. Like there is a scene in the film where a couple is doing it (to put it more nicely) in a car. You can see bare backs and hear moans but it only lasts a few seconds. The next thing is, when Carrie goes to the prom, some kids play a prank on her and drop a bucket of pig blood on her head. She then begins to get revenge by killing everyone in the building. There are explosions, stepped on bodies, blood everywhere! But it was a very good movie! Watch it! But make sure your little siblings aren't in the room...
Teen, 14 years old Written byJimmy brew December 26, 2014

Bloody scary remake focus on cyber-bullying and behavior

My rating:R for bloody violence,cyber bullying,language,teen partying,sexuality/nudity and drug use
Teen, 13 years old Written bykanselelgort December 10, 2014

Loved this movie!

I loved this movie and the actors were great! There was quite a bit of swearing in it, but the violence was not crazy and excessive. I saw this when I was 12 and it is still my favourite movie! The movie sends a message about how bullying is wrong and how bullies push their victims till they break. I think anyone 13 and over can handle it.
Kid, 12 years old November 26, 2014

Eh

It's not really scary and its really violent I grew up watching that type of stuff but my friend was kinda weirded out... I don't know I personally liked it though
Teen, 15 years old Written byrave day November 3, 2014

Carrie

Sex 5.5/10 Violence 6/10 Language 3/10
Teen, 17 years old Written byMichael Sladek October 19, 2014

A violent remake of the bloody original brings some bloody deaths, sex, and language.

I think kids 14 and older should see this because it gives a message on bullying and the consequences, but in a violent way. The sex is brief and the language is little.
Teen, 14 years old Written byDuckCommander13 October 12, 2014

This is a surprisingly good remake!

This is a newer version of the classic thriller Carrie. There is no nudity or the car scene but they show Margaret giving birth to Carrie and there's a sex scene but no nudity in either but the birth had blood. There was less language and overall the bullies were not as mean as in the 1976 version. No smoking but a reference to spiking a punch. As in the first a lot of violence with tons of blood but a 14 year old or mature 13 or 12 year old can handle it. There is the message of no bullying again so overall it's a good remake
Kid, 12 years old October 7, 2014

Amazing adaption.

Carrie is a re-imagining tale based on Stephen King's novel of the same name Carrie. Even though it is bloody. It is not that much more violent then the first adaption of Carrie by Brian De Palma. As it has been modernized, it does go farer posting a video on two screens at the prom after Carrie being dumped in blood. Has some sexual scenes involving Sue having sex with Tommy and finding out she is pregnant later in the movie. The alternative ending follows Sue in Labour and it does get bloody. Although the film does have a positive message in my opinion.