All member reviews for Carrie (2013)

Teen, 17 years old Written bySean Broucek October 18, 2013

Compelling Horror Film Isn't For Kids.

Parents, this intense remake of the Stephen King novel is compelling and well-acted, but the bloody violence and sexuality makes it too mature for young teens. Violence includes beatings, stabbings, fires, bullying, cruel pranks and behavior, bloody killings, an extensive massacre, cutting, impaling, and a brief torture scene. Sex includes a sex scene with thrusting and moaning, make out sessions, sexual references, scantily clad women and nonsexual partial nudity (breasts), and depictions of marital violence and rape. Language includes several uses of "f--k" and "s--t" (with many derivations), and also "sonofabitch", "d--k", "p---y", "c--k", and one "c--t". Also underage drinking. In the end this thought-provoking scarefest is great, but is too bloody for young teens. SUGGESTED MPAA RATING: Rated R For Bloody Violence, Disturbing Images, Sexuality, Brief Teen Drinking And Pervasive Language
Teen, 15 years old Written byCharlietheunicorn99 October 18, 2013

Interview with an annoying parent - then the actual review for Carrie - then a conclusion wrapping the thing up

For the record, I am a fourteen year old male. I've read the book, seen the original, and the emotionally unstable crap comes from just being a teenager. Horror movies are not a bad influence on people, people are bad influences on people. Especially kids. Kids try to keep up with what's in, or the cool kids and end up hurting themselves. By watching this movie, you are not hurting yourself. If a teen like me, was going to go see this as a first horror movie, there would be a different story. I actually got hooked on horror from Scream. But that's beside the point, parents who allow their kids to watch these types of movies are not endangering them. They're allowing them to be able to see if the children are capable of the responsibility on determining reality from fiction. But by saying that the parents should be sued for child abuse and endangering the said children, you're giving yourself a bad name by saying that you've never done that. A responsible parent would wait for the said children to become the right age before they watch these movies. In conclusion, who is the real person giving child abuse? The ones giving them a terrible life. Also, Carrie with Chloe Grace Moretz is a fantastic movie. Would love to see it more times with my dad if I could. IN FINAL CONCLUSION, parenting is about your responsibility to make sure your kids turn out responsible in the end of the race. By watching movies like this, they can turn out just fine anyway. Thanks for reading! :) Also, the key word of this review is responsible or responsibility.
Teen, 17 years old Written byB-KMastah October 18, 2013

Remakes are rarely good, and this is a rare example.

Firstly, this is not a remake. This is the third adaptation of the Stephen King novel. It was never the intention to remake a Brian De Palma film. Anyways, on with the review. The 1976 De Palma film is an all-time favorite of mine. I went into this simultaneously mildly excited yet apprehensive, but thank Kimberly Peirce for making a remake that isn't bad. Firstly, let me put it out there that I don't hate remakes/reboots as much as other cinephiles do, because I can always watch and advertise the original, and I'm always interested to see someone else's reimagining of source material. Despite the fact that the script is very similar to the De Palma film, I've read that this is more faithful to the novel, which must be towards the third act. It's very similar and then changes up a bit and goes bonkers. I wasn't bored, though, thanks to the acting. It's actually solid. Julianne Moore is super creepy and Chloë Grace Moretz shows her range as an actress; she has now ranged from badass to cute to innocent, in Kick-Ass, Hugo, and this, respectively. I've heard some stuff about Moretz being miscast and too pretty, but she still pulls it off. However, if I want to nitpick, it's that she's 16 in real life (probably 15 when they filmed this), but she's specifically shown to be 17 of 18. They could have just lowered her age. Also, with the film being reset to 2013, not nearly this quantity of kids would be that mean, much less heartless. It worked in 1976 but in 2013 it seemed over the top; the anti-bullying campaigns around the Internet and growing tolerance of students kind of takes you out of the movie. However, the imagery and religious symbolism stays intact and strong, which of course is thanks to the source material. But to be honest, it's an achievement in itself that they didn't butcher it. They could, however, could have cut the film a bit; even its 99-minute running time is a bit excessive. 8/10, very good, above average, one thumb up, etc.
Teen, 13 years old Written bymovieloverrr13 May 13, 2014

A lot scarier than the 1976 Carrie.

This is a lot more bloody and violent than Carrie (1976).There is some bad language here and there, but it's tame for a rated-R movie. And there was only one sex part, and that's when two teenagers are having sex in the back of a truck, but you don't see anything graphic. It gets pretty intense and violent after the part where they dump the blood on Carrie at her senior prom. They focus more on the bullying in this remake. I think this would be okay for anyone 12 and up, possibly 11, but if your child doesn't handle blood very well, you might not want to let them watch this movie. All in all, I thought this was very good, and I read the book, too, and this one goes a lot more by the book than the 1976 Carrie.
Teen, 13 years old Written bykanselelgort December 10, 2014

Loved this movie!

I loved this movie and the actors were great! There was quite a bit of swearing in it, but the violence was not crazy and excessive. I saw this when I was 12 and it is still my favourite movie! The movie sends a message about how bullying is wrong and how bullies push their victims till they break. I think anyone 13 and over can handle it.
Kid, 9 years old October 27, 2013

Think twice!

The movie is very good! But there are some parts that is OK for teens, like burning people, stepping on them, also Carrie is abused (not all the way) by her crazy, religious mother! Its good, but for little kids, think twice!
Teen, 14 years old Written byCWG1 October 19, 2013

Did this top the original?? In my opinion it really did!

This one to me topped the original and this may be news some horror movie fans may love to hear while angry that they remade it. Let me say this one followed the book more, and it just felt very fresh and not really like a remake, but more like a book adaption. There is some sexual content, but unlike the other one this one has no nudity in it, but more of a censored version of what happens in the shower room. There is some kissing, and a scene where two people have sex under the covers, but this is very brief, and has no nudity. The language was rather mild and only about 5 F words. It did have more violence than the original in which the prom scene and so on is done stylized, but is still rather bloody. Honestly this was not to rough and I think a ten year old can handle it if you are okay with some sexual references including one sex scene and Violence. This movie was not that bad, could have been PG-13 if a few less F words and a little less violence. this was soft R
Teen, 17 years old Written byTMarina March 24, 2015

Not appropriate for under 15

I actually really enjoyed this movie however I am seventeen and a little appalled at people who are saying this movie and okay for 10-13 year olds. This movie raises questions about sex and domestic abuse that as a parent I hope you will be ready to answer clearly to your young children if make the decision to let them watch it. If parents allow younger teens and tweens to watch movies like this one, they should be prepared to deal with their children mimicking the behavior they see in these films. Yes, it is a thing, children at that age are very impressionable and want to be just like the teenagers. Trust me, I was there only a few years ago. Do the smart thing and just wait a few years until they are old enough to understand. It won't kill your children to wait a while to watch a movie.
Teen, 14 years old Written byDuckCommander13 October 12, 2014

This is a surprisingly good remake!

This is a newer version of the classic thriller Carrie. There is no nudity or the car scene but they show Margaret giving birth to Carrie and there's a sex scene but no nudity in either but the birth had blood. There was less language and overall the bullies were not as mean as in the 1976 version. No smoking but a reference to spiking a punch. As in the first a lot of violence with tons of blood but a 14 year old or mature 13 or 12 year old can handle it. There is the message of no bullying again so overall it's a good remake
Kid, 11 years old September 14, 2014

More sexual then anything

more sexual
Teen, 14 years old Written bykarategirl1024 June 17, 2014

Not that scary

So, this movie is not a very scary movie. It has a blood bath at the end but you really don't see anything. There is a lot of controversy about the bathroom scene on whether or not it is appropriate, and if you are a girl who is over the ago of 11, chances are you already know what a period is. Boys, probably know by the age of 13. The bullying issue in this movie may or may not strike a chord inside of you, depending on your personal experiences and knowledge of bullying. For me, it didn't bother me as much as it would other people because even though I know it happens in real life, I knew that this particular case was fake because it was in the movie. Overall, Stephen King, the author of the book that inspired this movie, is a very creative man who can think of anything to disturb people. So whether or not this movie is your cup of tea or not, is up to you, but personally, I think it is appropriate for kids 12 and up.
Teen, 13 years old Written byFreya April 21, 2015

Brilliant

Carrie Is classed under the horror genre and is a modernised version of Stephen kings book carrie , there is violent scenes and people being injured but that isn't for very long in the movie - there is positive messages I.e do not bully people , do not drink underage and do not set fire to schools with super powers .
Kid, 12 years old November 26, 2014

Eh

It's not really scary and its really violent I grew up watching that type of stuff but my friend was kinda weirded out... I don't know I personally liked it though
Teen, 15 years old Written byrave day November 3, 2014

Carrie

Sex 5.5/10 Violence 6/10 Language 3/10
Teen, 17 years old Written byMichael Sladek October 19, 2014

A violent remake of the bloody original brings some bloody deaths, sex, and language.

I think kids 14 and older should see this because it gives a message on bullying and the consequences, but in a violent way. The sex is brief and the language is little.
Kid, 12 years old October 7, 2014

Amazing adaption.

Carrie is a re-imagining tale based on Stephen King's novel of the same name Carrie. Even though it is bloody. It is not that much more violent then the first adaption of Carrie by Brian De Palma. As it has been modernized, it does go farer posting a video on two screens at the prom after Carrie being dumped in blood. Has some sexual scenes involving Sue having sex with Tommy and finding out she is pregnant later in the movie. The alternative ending follows Sue in Labour and it does get bloody. Although the film does have a positive message in my opinion.
Kid, 12 years old September 1, 2014

Awesome Adaption!

Teen, 13 years old Written byjohnstewart August 22, 2014

Much more violent and bloody than the original

-also disturbing. This movie also has some minor sexual content (the privates are covered by a blanket) and the violence is graphic. Although there's blood, the blood isn't very realistic. It kind of looks like jelly. There are about 5 F-words and yeah this movie is quite intense and creepy. And by the way, this can be sad when Carrie gets bullied.
Teen, 13 years old Written byAislinn-movie-critic June 2, 2014

Lots of blood Mabel

Teen, 13 years old Written byTheMovieGuru April 18, 2014

Good remake

i think this is a fairly decent remake of the 1976 classic, its violent and gory, but otherwise pretty good.