Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written bymum@home June 24, 2011

Violence, drinking, car tortured to death, James Bond, oh my!

Cars 2 is NOT a film for little children. Honestly, I can't even phathom how this movie got a G rating? I think The MPAA should be ashamed of this rating. Bloodless violence should have a PG rating or PG13 rating. I would advocate Cars 2 needs a PG rating so parents can make an informed decision. My kids see age appropriate movies. I wouldn't let them see James Bond movies. The shooting didn't bother me, even the crushed car wasn't as upsetting as seeing a car tortured. Watching the scene continue in a reflection, and finally be killed by blowing him up was disturbing for the audience thus geared for. My 7 year old enjoyed the action but thought it was the longest movie he had ever seen. My 5 year old became somewhat scared and asked to sit on his dad's lap. There was drinking in numerous scenes. The first movie implied oil but the sequel doesn't present it the same way. At the restaurant in the beginning there were lots of martinis. In the Japan party scene there were open bars and cars drinking. The British pub scene had a bad guy dump the regulars' drinks, thus incite a beating. I heard "kill him" at least three times. The storyline feels jumbled. It felt like Pixar pulled ideas from James Bond movies, and a dose of alternative fuels. Tow Mater is the star, probably because of his popularity from Cars Toons: Mater's Tall Tales. There was some beautiful scenery that was first class animation. Pixar has done a wonderful animation job. I agree with other posters that said Cars 2 has lost the wholesomeness from the first movie. I realize that they wanted to keep their initial audience hooked but my 7 year old doesn't want clothing with Cars 2 on it. He might be interested in some of the toys to look at but not to purchase. Pixar should have revamped this story for little kids. The storyline feels like it was rushed so production could get started. Please excuse any typos as I am mobile.
Parent Written byashleyjean78 June 24, 2011

Cars 2 not for young children!!!

I was shocked by the amount of violence! The first movie was fine for young children and this one was scary and disturbing. Very disappointed! There are a few good jokes but it was just too much for young children who are not used to violence!
Parent Written byElliott and Gwen April 28, 2016

good movie

Young kids may not understand or follow the elaborate story.
Parent of a 4 and 5 year old Written byFlutter April 6, 2016

Disney Animation Meets James Bond Action

If you have active little boys and need a few minutes just to sit down and read a book or wash some dishes, this movie will hold their attention. This is the second installment in the Cars franchise and in my opinion, far better than the first. There is some quite a bit of action and some drama in this film. At least two cars "die" in the film, though their deaths are off screen. Some cars are "hurt". I rated this as a 5 and up because though these are anthromorphised cars, they are just cars. This was easy for my kids to understand that these were not real and that it is just a story. To be clear, I waited much longer before I let them see 'Frozen' or other stories with animals or people. There is a great message about friendship and staying true to your friends throughout the whole movie.
Parent Written byforthelongrun027 January 5, 2015

Mouthy cars can make for mouthy little ones

I always know when my son has watched this movie because he gets mouthy, just like Lightning McQueen. Also, the movie has a subplot involving "lemons", which are cars that are just born bad and don't work well. It feels a bit icky when one of the messages we try to impart in our house is that all people are different and have different abilities and that's okay.
Educator and Parent of a 4 year old Written bymolepoblano July 27, 2014

Terrible

I watch the first Cars with my 4 year old. It's a great movie. Cars 2, on the other hand, is a totally different thing. There are the car races, my son likes that. The cars from Radiator Springs is sort of there. But even McQueen takes a backseat to Mator. This one is mostly about Mator being mistaken for a spy, and LOTS of violence and plot twists that make it hard for a 4 year old to keep up with. Definitely skip this. The only reason the DVD is good is for the two shorts it has in the bonus features--and one of them is the prelude to the Planes movies.
Parent of a 4 year old Written bygauberger February 9, 2013

Too much gun violence for kids

We watched Cars with our four years old son and he enjoyed it. We were looking forward to more family friendly entertainment with Cars 2 (Rated G). What a huge let down. The spy plot is so complicated that our son kept asking what was going on. He was confused and lost interest quickly. McQueen is rarely present in the movie. Cars spend most of the movie shooting at it each other. Really? I thought cars were supposed to *race* one another. Very disappointed at Disney for allowing this kind of violence to permeate every aspect of our lives. Shame on them.
Adult Written byadvocatewhat'sright December 26, 2012

Should not be G

Seriously, it's too violent. Why couldn't they do a more faithful sequel? I mean, look at Charlotte's Web 2: Wilbur's Great Adventure. That sequel has the same feel-good attitude of the original. This does not. It should be at least PG for scary peril and violence. G is supposed to mean General Audience, like for the original Cars, Charlotte's Web 1, or Charlotte's Web 2. This is just too scary and violent and it also lacks the heart and spirit of the original. I wish this was like the Charlotte's Web sequel, the Toy Story sequels, or The Rescuers Down Under. They all are at least close to the originals, if not on par. In a perfect world, this would be as good as Cars 1 and Charlotte's Web 2. In the real world, this is as good (or bad) as The Black Cauldron. 3.5/10
Parent Written byJLFM May 15, 2012

Lesser Pixar Effort, Should've been PG

Adult Written byJEDI micah April 3, 2012

WHAT HAPPENED, PIXAR?! RAN OUT OF IDEAS?!

Without a doubt, this is NOT the best Pixar movie! All of the other Pixar movies are great, but this one was kinda disappointing. The computer graphics are impressive as always, but the jokes weren't that funny and the story was a little bit confusing. Pixar should of made a sequel to The Incredibles. That would have been a lot better! What actually surpriesd me about Cars 2 was the large amount of action and violence, and this movie is rated G. This is the only concern about this movie. Parents, if your kids want to see Cars 2, you may want to see the trailer for it and see if your kds can handle the amount of violence. However, I recommend that you pick a different family movie because this one is not worth watching. Trust me! You would be disappointed as well!
Parent of a 6 year old Written byParents of boy, 6 February 18, 2012

Disappointing for Pixar; WAY too violent for kids.

WAY too violent - guns and killing. In the first ten minutes, our six year old son's eyes were wide and he was sinking back into his seat. He told us it was too violent for kids so we walked out after 15 minutes. So disappointing.
Parent of a 5 and 8 year old Written byFilmFather December 21, 2011

A major misfire by Pixar

Cars 2 is far removed from what made the original so endearing. It's driven entirely by plot, not character – the complete antithesis of any Pixar film that came before it. To make matters worse, the plot (a battle of alternative fuel vs. oil) is far too complex and adult-centric for children to follow, much less care about. *** It’s unfathomable how Cars 2 received a G rating by the MPAA. It contains even more intense action and violence than Pixar’s PG-rated The Incredibles. Nearly every car involved in espionage fires a gun, and many of the shootouts are excessive; also, several cars are tortured and killed. In addition to scatological humor, there’s other questionable language including threats of violence (“Lightning McQueen must be killed,” “I’m gonna make sure you stay dead”), sexually suggestive insults (“Your mother,” “Your sister”), and in the Tokyo segment, Mater hits a gong and declares, “Bang a gong, get it on!” *** Sitting through Cars 2 is an exhausting experience for filmgoers of any age, but especially for kids. My boys were restless and fidgety by the end of the second act; the endless onslaught of car chases, gunfire, and explosions simply drained them. Also, like the original Cars, this sequel clocks in at nearly 2 hours – way too long for the attention span of children. *** Read my full review at: filmfather (dot) blogspot (dot) com
Parent of a 5, 7, and 9 year old Written bysrt12780 December 6, 2011

Oil industry programming

I didn't like the liberal programming for kids about the oil industry. It was too much, too overwhelming and too overt as you guys point out. The cartoon is just supposed to be good clean fun, but instead it's a movie on a brain washing mission.
Parent of a 8 year old Written byMadMooseMama November 22, 2011

What was that garbage?

I thought the adult content in the Cars2 movie was too much, most of the time my children didn't even understand what was being said, nor did they get many of the jokes. I was appalled to see all the violence and death, the lying, cheating and sneaky behaviours and felt it lacked depth or warmth. I feel that Pixar sold out and you can certainly tell by the several blantant product shots shown through out the film. Two huge thumbs down!!
Parent Written byLightning9506 November 11, 2011

Worst movie i've seen in a long time.

Very heartbreaking! The first movie was so full of detail and character. The second movie was almost scary. My daughter is the biggest Cars fan ever (given she's only 4), but if it has any member of the Cars family on it she must have it. Took her to see this movie opening weekend and she hated it. Wanted to leave about 30 minutes into it. I wish we would have. The movie got no better at any point and in fact was so disappointing. The original they really worked to make the characters into believable understandable people. If you watch the making of Cars dvd and how the writers got the idea for the story and the characters you'd see they nailed it on the head and it was touching how much effort they put into it. Cars 2 seemed more like a ploy to get money. Gosh Cars 1 did so well, certainly a new Cars will get us even more. I feel it was too 'adult' in nature for kids to get into. I can't say enough how lacking this movie was. I love the original and am still fascinated by the details - Volkswagen beetles for the bugs, scenery looked like car parts, the plane marks in the sky were tire tread, so many little details in the original and the characters that made you want to go see Radiator Springs for yourself to enjoy the 'good old days'. This movie was like any other action movie made today with the exception that it had been animated. Don't waste your time on this movie.
Parent of a 3 and 3 year old Written bycherinoto November 7, 2011

Regret that we took our kids to see this film

My family was stunned that this film was rated G. There is talk of killing, lots of guns, and the charm of Radiator Springs is missing from the film.
Parent of a 3 and 9 year old Written byMs Shelly November 7, 2011

NOT FOR YOUNG CHILDREN. UNFORTUNATE.

Is it okay to present children with violence as a form of entertainment, clearly intended for them -- in a format they may be watching over and over again? Why? Films for children hold an opportunity to influence and improve the experience of child's developing brain. Films can also contribute to a dark, cliche, low common denominator.
Parent Written byDasGinatron November 6, 2011

Cars 2 is appropriate for all ages-- and fun to boot!

This is a great family movie. As a parent, do some of the Cars 2 characters irritate me? Sure! However, this is not about me, it is about this movie being appropriate for kids-- and it most certainly is. Pair this with the original Cars, and you could have a Cars themed family movie night that is fun for any age!
Parent of a 3, 5, 11, 14, 15, and 18+ year old Written bymom27qtpies November 1, 2011

Horribly disappointing

I was very disappointed with the gun usage and the slow pace of the movie....I'm not sure what age group disney was aiming for with this movie but 6 and under won't (or shouldn't) get most of the jokes or story plot, and over 6 probably won't find it exciting enough to watch through to the end. The violence is ridiculous in this movie.
Parent of a 5 year old Written byhgreenuk September 17, 2011

Too Violent

I was so disappointed by the gratuitous violence. Kids' movies don't need a torture scene! I loved the spoof on the spy genre and the "World Grand Prix" idea. I think the reason this movie has not been as dearly loved as the first, is because of the violence. Took my 4 year-old. Wish I hadn't.