All parent member reviews for Cars 2

Parent Written bydebcarroll August 15, 2011

Not for the little ones!

I was really put off by the extensive violence, particularly the guns, torture of cars & murder. Yep. A far cry from the original, Cars 2 is packed with complex story lines most kids under 7 will have trouble following. Additionally, the environmental message gets lost within the other threads of the film. Scared my kids, ages 3 & 5--and required lot sof explaining as to why the cars were killing each other. Bad, bad sequel.
Parent of a 3 and 6 year old Written bymarceladns August 15, 2011

Boring and long

Actually my kids weren't scared but BORED! My 4 & 6 years old are HUGE movie fans, they watch all kind of movies including silent and documentaries. They don't get scared easily and get jokes most of the times. The problem with this movie is that it has no substance, characters are flat and uninteresting. The animation was well done but won't hold the kids interest for long. My other issue is why on earth are kids movies so long??? really? 2 hours it's a lot for a 4 years old, and my kids sit through PBS documentaries if they are interesting enough (Andes, The Devil's Back). I didn't find this movie any more violent than How to train your dragon but at least HTTYD had a catchy story. Cars 2 is just another commercial effort to sell toys.
Parent of a 7 year old Written byMamaBearNJ August 12, 2011

The Truck Who Knew Too Much

Cars 2 is different from the original -- less an idea movie, more an action-packed parody of suspense movies from James Bond to Hitchcock classics like "North by Northwest" and "The Man Who Knew Too Much." I've watched a fair number of these, and the clever send-up had me laughingn out loud. Mater is in the old Jimmy Stewart role of the innocent who gets entangled in a mystery by accident, and has to figure things out as he goes along. I know some fans of the original were disappointed that Lightning McQueen wasn't the lead, but he could never have played the innocent like Mater does. Although Mater spends much of the movie looking and feeling foolish, in the end he shows that he has his own areas of intelligence & can use his strengths to save the day. That could be a very empowering message to kids who feel out of step with peers or inadequate in some area -- we all have strengths, and we have to find them and use them as best we can. Lightning McQueen has to learn to put loyalty to his friend ahead of looking cool. I like the way the female characters are portrayed. The movie avoids the cliches of having Lightning's girlfriend, Sally, act as an obstacle to his adventures, or having Lightning move on to a new love. The relationship remains strong, and Sally wants her boyfriend to do what he does best. Cars 2 also avoids the movie cliche of pitting the girlfriend against the buddy, and I'm grateful for that. Although Sally doesn't play a big part in the movie, Mater meets a female secret agent who's a very strong character. And I applaud the environmentalist themes in the story. As for the violence -- yes, there is violence in this movie: cartoonish violence, not bloody. If you are looking for a movie for a very young child or a very sensitive child, you might want to look elsewhere. But if your child is up to Star Wars, then your child has already seen an equal or greater level of violence.
Parent of a 5 and 8 year old Written byGamecrafter August 11, 2011

A bit too edgy for the kindergarten crowd

Great fun for action oriented 8+ year olds that are okay with peril and danger, and even death of a character. In my opinion a long way from tender Radiator Springs warmth of the first movie. Not as funny either - emulates a James Bond flick, on purpose.
Adult Written byBeth S July 31, 2011

GUN VIOLENCE in a G-movie???

After having the first Cars on DVD, Cars 2 was going to be a very special "first time at the movies" for my 4-year-old. At the end of the movie (half of which was spent in my lap), he announced, "I don't ever, ever want to go to the movies again". The positive messages are overshadowed by too much violence, and too many high-speed, high tension moments. The movie as a whole moved at too fast of a pace for pre-schoolers. I also found there were too many adult-geared entertainment gimmicks that were superfluous in a G-movie. It felt like the writers were more interested in self-satisfying "inside-joke" type of humor, with an excess of cultural and pop-cultural references, and less in promoting healthy entertainment for children. Finally I found the several scenes of gun violence, death and explosions to be completely out of place. Cars 2 is a complete and unfortunate departure from the simpler, gentler - albeit fun - original.
Parent Written byWhiteWoodsMama July 30, 2011

Made my 4-Year Old Cry (not in a good way)

I had to leave this movie with my four-year old. He did not like all the guns and explosions. To him the cars were REAL people and when they exploded or crashed he was in tears. After about the 6th time that he told me "Mommy I don't like this movie." I decided we were done. Not for small children. Of course it didn't help that the theater accidentally began Harry Potter first, that really freaked my little guys out!! I had to cover his eyes. Poor thing :(
Educator and Parent of a 3 year old Written byJiggleBoots July 30, 2011

May as well let your kids watch Dr. No

I can't believe this movie got a G rating, given that it's basically an animated, full-scale James Bond. Guns blazing, Mater even gets strapped with machine guns. I'm thankful my 3-year old fell asleep at the beginning, waking up only for the ending credits, because otherwise I would have walked out. This movie is not for kids under 9 or 10, given all of the violence, and on-screen deaths of characters. Boo, Disney, what happened to charming movies for little ones?
Parent of a 2, 4, 6, 8, 8, and 9 year old Written byTabithaWren July 30, 2011

Not violent at all. No bad language!

There is absolutely nothing violent about this movie whatsoever. My three year old loves it. I think it's a wonderful movie.
Parent Written byStlmom723 July 29, 2011

Great movie!

My daughter (6) and son (7) LOVED this movie! We have seen it three times in the theater. They have been playing Cars 2 at home for weeks now. Great movie!
Parent of a 4 and 7 year old Written byjulesfreak July 29, 2011

Too many guns

Despite having read the review I was still very surprised by the amount of guns in this movie. Although it is not scary, it is more violent than I would have liked for my 4-year old. I do not want my kids seeing guns as entertainment.
Parent Written byTriciasMomto2 July 28, 2011

My 7 year old and I really enjoyed it!

I am sorry to see so many of you didn't enjoy the movie. I went with my 7 year old son and he totally loved it. He enjoyed the action scenes and didn't come home using any bad language, those words have already been removed from his vocabulary after hearing them at school and repeating them at home. All in all I enjoyed the movie and so did he and I recommend it to any other kids probably over the age of 6 because it does get a little violent at times.
Educator and Parent Written byKmama&teach July 26, 2011

Not that bad

We took our 3 year old who is a die hard Cars fan to see it & while I agree it is violent, most of it was over his head. He liked it and just came away saying Mater is Lightning's best friend.
Parent Written bykvgmom July 24, 2011

Might as well give Pooh Bear an Uzi

I am completely baffled by this movie. I took my 5 year old son to see this movie because it was all he could talk about. I had doubts from the trailer, but I trusted a) Pixar and b) the G rating. Awful. Cars die. Mater has machine guns that he shoots at other cars. I know it is hard to say no, but this movie is not for kids. Certainly, not the preschoolers for whom these characters have become heroes. Awful.
Parent Written bypeacefulpup July 24, 2011

Disappointing.

Disappointed in this movie. My toddler LOVES the first movie, Cars, so we thought this sequel would be equally pleasant and enjoyable with those "warm fuzzy" feelings. We were unfortunately mistaken. It was a completely different genre than the first movie. We were very turned off by the espionage story line and thought that the violence was inappropriate for the toddlers who enjoyed the first movie. Cars killing each other?? Really, Disney??
Parent Written bybigmacattack9 July 24, 2011

Iffy for 8+

Violence (PG) machine guns, bombs lots of killing not right for a Pixar film. Sexual Content (G) mild flirting Language (G) stupid and idiot. Drugs, smoking, drinking (PG) cars drink cocktails several beer cans are used in happiness. Overall Rating (PG)
Parent Written byeffigy3 July 24, 2011

a violent let down :(

Our family had been eagerly anticipating the release of Cars 2 for almost two years. If The Maters Tall Tales shorts were any barometer of what the new feature film was going to be about, it should have been amazing. Sadly Cars 2 abandons nearly everything that made the original film and the shorts great. Cars 2 is full of violence and potty humor (literally) which leaves me shocked and disappointed in the direction Pixar chose to take with this film. My 4 year old son asked my Lightning McQueen didn't like Mater any more. My 7 year old daughter asked if the bad guys were really going to kill Mater. The highlight of the film was Michael Cain as British secret agent. Too bad this film is just so violent.
Parent of a 3 year old Written bybutterfly_mama July 23, 2011

Boo :(

I found this movie to be very violent. It was not the funny sweet story the original is. I was disappointed but my 3.5 year old liked it and didn't seem to notice the guns(?). He did say he liked the first cars better and has not asked to see Cars 2 again.
Parent of a 4 year old Written bycry4dawn July 23, 2011

good movie for adults but to violent for children

This was really too violent for kids. Unlike other pixar movies this one should have gotten a pg like the incredibles. I thought it was a good movie personally but not for children. They kill cars, and shoot things and blow up things.
Parent Written bystasiac July 21, 2011

Prepare before turning on your engines.

I felt the G rating was inappropriate given the amount of gun fighting and explosions. The spy theme was way over their heads too.
Parent of a 6 year old Written byUniey76 July 20, 2011

Not for Little ones, but OK otherwise.

Ok, let me start by saying that this movie should NOT have earned a G rating! It is not a movie for all ages. It portrays alot of voilence and older themes. My 6yo kept asking what alternative fuel was and why the cars where blowing up? Also why the old/rusty cars were so mad that they would do bad things. This being said, there are lessons about accepting your friends for who they are and that sometimes you need to sacrifice something you want to do the right thing. I think that the movie was not bad per say, just inappropriate for its marketed audience. If you have a 7/8 year old who liked the original Cars movie when they were younger, I think it would be ok. But I wouldnt take a younger child since the innocence of the first movie is Definetly not here.