All parent member reviews for Cars 2

Parent of a 3 year old Written bybutterfly_mama July 23, 2011

Boo :(

I found this movie to be very violent. It was not the funny sweet story the original is. I was disappointed but my 3.5 year old liked it and didn't seem to notice the guns(?). He did say he liked the first cars better and has not asked to see Cars 2 again.
Parent of a 4 year old Written bycry4dawn July 23, 2011

good movie for adults but to violent for children

This was really too violent for kids. Unlike other pixar movies this one should have gotten a pg like the incredibles. I thought it was a good movie personally but not for children. They kill cars, and shoot things and blow up things.
Parent Written bystasiac July 21, 2011

Prepare before turning on your engines.

I felt the G rating was inappropriate given the amount of gun fighting and explosions. The spy theme was way over their heads too.
Parent of a 6 year old Written byUniey76 July 20, 2011

Not for Little ones, but OK otherwise.

Ok, let me start by saying that this movie should NOT have earned a G rating! It is not a movie for all ages. It portrays alot of voilence and older themes. My 6yo kept asking what alternative fuel was and why the cars where blowing up? Also why the old/rusty cars were so mad that they would do bad things. This being said, there are lessons about accepting your friends for who they are and that sometimes you need to sacrifice something you want to do the right thing. I think that the movie was not bad per say, just inappropriate for its marketed audience. If you have a 7/8 year old who liked the original Cars movie when they were younger, I think it would be ok. But I wouldnt take a younger child since the innocence of the first movie is Definetly not here.
Parent of a 3 year old Written bysallmond July 17, 2011

Bummer....

My 3.5 year old LOVES all the Pixar movies... and we assumed this would be no different. Now, I'm not one to jump to conclusions. When i heard others say it was too spy-movie driven, honestly, i didn't put much credence behind it. Surely they were being over-protective umm, wrong. My son was sooo not interested... the plot was over his head, too much fighting, gun play (a little bit would have been fine), and general anger. He fidgeted the whole time until finally he said he wanted to go. I decided not to fight him on it and we left. On the way out, (from the mouth's of babes...) he said he "totally didn't like that movie..." Sorry, Pixar, even you are not immune from the sequel slump. This one was a bust.
Parent Written bymamalovesnate July 16, 2011

Ugh. Cars 2 is too much.

I was tremendously disappointed with this version of Cars. The first Cars movie was a refreshing change from other Disney films: no peril, no villain, just a good story about friendship, having a good character, and keeping your word. This second Cars was too much - too much peril, too much violence, too much torture, too much plot, just too much of everything I didn't want to expose my 3yr old to. Sooooo very disappointing!
Parent Written byGoFish2 July 15, 2011

Common Sense Media should be ashamed of its review

Common Sense Media's apologist review understates the appalling level of violence in this movie. This is an extremely violent movie that begins with gun violence and murder (one car crushed into a cube), moves on to outright torture and murder again, and is characterized from start to finish with a banal plot premised solely on a violent struggle for economic domination through terror. Cars 2 deserves much more than the three-bomb rating for violence that CSM gives it, especially in light of the target audience being young kids. I've looked to CSM to give candid advice about the content of movies before I take my kids to the movies. Its objectivity seems to have been compromised in its review of Cars 2. CSM should demonstrate real independence from the film industry by re-visiting its shamefully low yellow for 6-year-olds rating and by putting out real information regarding the extraordinary violence in this "G" movie. Instead of struggling to come up with non-existent redeeming messages, CSM should explain how utter a betrayal this movie is of the trust and hope of the first Cars movie. This is not a "revved up" version of the first movie, with "spy thrills" and "gallons of fun". Please. They put GATLING GUNS on Mater! How sad; how sad.
Parent of a 6 and 9 year old Written byjenlcooper July 14, 2011

Enjoyable sequel for slightly older kids

We took my 9 year old son to see it, and everyone enjoyed the movie thoroughly. Very entertaining for him and us. But I am glad that I didn't bring along his 6 year old sister.
Parent of a 4, 6, and 7 year old Written byajsl33 July 13, 2011

Not at all what I expected; disappointing

I took my boys (7,6,4) and was very disappointed. The "James Bond" idea was cute but not for a G rated movie. The whole movie was shooting and talking about 'killing' each car. Wasn't a fan. There was a positive message with Mater/McQueen about accepting Mater as who he is but I felt like it was completely overshadowed with all the violence. All 3 of my kids remarked about 'all the shooting'.
Parent of a 4 year old Written byrebc July 12, 2011

Should have listened to the other reviews!

We loved the first Cars movie. It was easy to let our boys watch it over and over, great messaging, no violence, little language...but this new Cars movie?...boy, way too violent and we're very liberal minded parents. My son wanted to leave after 20 minutes because the movie was too scary. I really do wish I had listened to the other reviews and skipped this movie, but I didn't believe it could be as bad as they said with the first one being so good!!
Educator and Parent Written bysnowbdr88 July 12, 2011

Too violent for small children.

As an educator and a parent of a child who LOVES Cars, I took my son to see this the day it came out as he was extremely excited to see Cars 2. I was quite disappointed. The movie was surprisingly violent with a Mustang being tortured and blown up as well as a multitude of cars carrying/using weapons of all sorts.
Parent Written byoldschoolparent July 12, 2011

Good message, but too violent.

I think this movie is way too violent. I wish I would have found this website before going to the movie. I mean what the heck is up with the rating systems today. "G" is not the same as it was 10 years ago. We are desensitizing our innocent children and wondering why our society is experiencing more problems with drugs, etc. This movie has good points and a good overall message about being yourself and selflessness, but the violence is so much and in every scene nearly. I would not let my kids see it again for many years. Shame on me for not being a more thorough parent.
Parent Written byblake of gremlinvil July 10, 2011

cars 2 review

its a thriller with guns ninjas warlocks trolls and cyborgs that fight cthulu witch rapes 4 of the main characters and they show a movie about cars on the corner that was on the trailers
Parent Written by2004VA July 9, 2011

Not for small children

My kids loved Cars -- the original. We took them to Cars 2 and couldnt believe how violent it was. Guns, torture, killing. ABSOLUTELY should NOT be rated G. I wish I had read reviews before taking them.
Parent Written bycommonmom01 July 8, 2011

Way too Violent for Children!

I was incredibly shocked at the amount of shooting violence in the movie. It was an animation of a secret agent spy adult film about an alternative fuel called allenol fuel that most 2-6 year olds would not understand. I did not appreciate their use of GUNS and WEAPONS and KARATE to handle situations. There was even a scene in the movie where a boat was blown up by the secret agent! I did like, however, how Mater was the hero in the movie this time and he did not want to get rid of his dents in the end because they were his memories. It was a nice way to show how we should accept our imperfections!
Parent of a 3 and 5 year old Written byLauraMAustin July 7, 2011

Can't believe this got a G rating

Far too violent for young children. We're not talking about one or two fist fights, or a threat or two, but constant, sustained graphic violence - beatings, torture, explosions, deaths. When you mix that with the already intense noise, color and pacing of this style of animation, it's awful for young ones. I foolishly read the commonsense "official" review only before going to see it with my 3 and 5 year olds - between that and the G rating, I figured it was fine. I should have read the parent reviews, because I agree with 90% of what has been said about this film. Not fine. My kids were okay with it, but several children in the screening had to be taken out of the theater because they were frightened. And even my tough little birds said they "didn't like all of the fighting," and didn't want to see it again. Which is good, because they aren't going to see it again. From an story perspective, the plot is so convoluted that I had trouble explaining it to other adults. And the Bond-like references and British characters (love Michael Caine!) were fab, but only if you are old enough to have actually SEEN A BOND MOVIE, in particular the vintage ones. I guarantee that at least 80% of the plot went over kids' heads. I'm pretty irritated with Pixar, the MPAA and even you, commonsense.org, who I normally trust, for not honestly describing the level of violence in this piece of cinematic garbage.
Parent Written byslcparent July 6, 2011

NOT FOR YOUNG KIDS

I registered to this site just to post on this movie and strongly agree with all the commenters that it is way too violent and disturbing for young kids and to warn other parents not to take their young ones to see it. See other reviews for good recaps of the abundant violence, which was all pretty upsetting, but I want to focus on the torture scene. In that scene, one of the head bad guys orders that the fuel inside a secret agent be slowly heated, causing the agent obvious pain. After making the agent squirm for a while, the bad guy says "kill him," and you can see a reflection of the agent being blown up. I did not expect, at a G rated movie, to have my 4 and 6 year old kids ask me for an explanation of what was going on in a scene like that. What was I supposed to say? The worst thing is that most of the violence- and especially the torture scene- was extraneous and could easily have been cut. Honestly, the movie was too long anyway. This movie should not have been marketed to kids under 13.
Adult Written byHickoryhunt July 6, 2011

Skip the sequel

My four year old, who isn't scared by Scooby Doo cartoons, was scared by the violence in this movie. I got tired of the noise of the cars and the explosions - it was like James Bond for cartoons. The first movie was so much better.
Parent of a 3 year old Written byjbmomma July 5, 2011

Reviewer at MPAA should be Fired!

So disappointed in Cars 2. Why did they take such a sweet movie into such a violent and convoluted direction? We went with a group of preschool kids and parents and everyone was amazed by the "G" rating. Our children learned to say "kill" today - thanks Pixar!
Parent of an infant, 6, and 6 year old Written bymdpack July 5, 2011

Level headed 4 stars - Go see it!

We went to Cars 2 yesterday as a family. We have twin 6 year old boys. Before going to any movie now we always check Commonsensemedia.org for content and ratings so we know what is in a film. The review from CSM was spot on. This was a great movie! I loved it and the kids loved it (keep in mind 2 - 6 year old boys.) There is a lot of criticism of this film and it's violent/scary content. This film was not nearly as scary as Toy Story 3 (also G rating with LOTS of peril) The guns and 'blow em up' content in this film is on par with movies of it's category and nature. My feeling is that if your child isn't able to tell the difference between pretend and real life perhaps you should steer clear of anything questionable and not try to blame the MPAA or others for your viewing choices. When in doubt screen a movie first to decide if it's okay for your kids! The story here was wonderful - perhaps a bit difficult for anyone under 8 to follow, however generally easy to understand. Good role models - McQueen and Mater and others in the film learn that there's value to everyone's feelings and it's important to be yourself.