All parent member reviews for Cars 2

Parent Written byamykl July 3, 2011

Too violent, not for kids!

Saw this today with my 4 year old -- I'm shocked it has a G rating. Multiple explosions, gun battles, machine guns, disembodied car parts (from explosions/violent deaths) and car chases are in this movie -- my 4 year old didn't quite understand it, thankfully, but its more like a cartoon version of an adult movie than a movie for kids. I really regret not checking out reviews for this movie before taking my kids.
Educator and Parent Written byecv July 3, 2011

please read

This movie has a lot of violence, death, and killing. This movie should not be rated G.
Parent Written byMom in NJ July 3, 2011

Parents of young children - keep driving, don't stop for Cars 2

As a parent of a 3 and 4 year old who are big fans of the Cars movie, I was deeply disappointed that Disney/Pixar would screen such a violent sequel. The G rating is absolutley ridiculous! It is amusing enough for adults, but it really is not a kids movie. There are enough gunfights and bombs to make even Rambo blush!
Adult Written byTy3401 July 3, 2011

Underrated

I should start this review off by saying that, yes, it should have been rated PG instead of G, and that there was some very obvious consumerism, and drinking but not necessarily noticeable by children. However, just because it was rated G instead of PG doesn't make it a one or two star movie. This movie made me laugh and I enjoyed it all the way through. It taught of true friendship, dedication, and bravery. Something all the youth in this messed up world could use in their lives. True, the only thing it had in common with the first cars was the characters and that McQueen races and it was really a Cars spy movie. However, most sequels that just continue from the first movie as if the plot had some random twist right after the curtains closed really aren't that good, so for there to be a change in direction was nice. The story centers around Mater and was entertaining, funny, witty, and although predictable for adults it was thought provoking for kids. ONE word of caution for those adults taking their kids that easily get frightened to see this movie, maybe they should think twice as there is some intenseness to the film, however everyone else should give it a shot and not heed the words from disgruntled parents who because it was incorrectly rated automatically blame the quality of the film and not the MPAA. (my son is two and he throughly enjoyed it and was not scared at all)
Parent Written byProud Parent July 2, 2011

All About Politics

Unfortunately this movie is all about politics and indoctrination of our youth. Communist Hollywood is at it again perpetuating their agenda. Save your money and spare your child from liberal hypnosis.
Parent of a 6, 9, and 10 year old Written byR5 July 2, 2011

Trying to Kill McQueen Off Killed the Movie for Me...

Disney went after kids and dads big with huge marketing tie-ins (cha ching!) and a nod to spy films (confusing for young kids!). Parents should know that many characters call out that it is time to "kill" McQueen. Disney went for broke with the language and violence when they could have used many creative alternatives like "send him to the junkyard". They should have spent more time on the story instead of licensing deals.
Parent of a 4 year old Written bylimabeanford July 2, 2011

Pretty Lame

This movie was bad. I wasn't a big fan of the characters, but this one was just plain boring. My 4 year old kept going to the bathroom, and pretending to be sick. She is very mature for her age and usually sits in a theatre quietly and loooooves movies. This did not hold her attention at all, nor mine.
Parent of a 4 and 8 year old Written bySnoozhe July 2, 2011

One big, long car chase...

This movie was much faster-paced and focused on Mater more. My 4.5 year old said he liked Cars 1 better because this one was "scary." I think he had a hard time following the story line which was almost preachy in regards to the gasoline/fossil fuel issue. They torture and kill a "car" and lots of shooting. I was a bit bored, though I thought it was fun seeing the cars in the different cities. Unfortunately, the script wasn't that funny either. Anyway, your kids are going to want to see this--but it doesn't meet the Toy Story and Monster's (my favorite) quality.
Parent of a 6 and 11 year old Written byfastraxsg July 1, 2011

A must for car lovers!

I think its a great movie for car lovers. Your kids should be fine as long as they are not scared of action. Its really good and better than cars1 Definitely!
Parent of a 5 year old Written byDorisPM June 30, 2011

5 year old needed to leave

Good for older kids, but strapping a bomb to a character just seemed too extreme. We went for a 5 yo birthday party and. Bday boy left crying because he was scared. Not suitable for under 12 due to violence. Now I get to explain why machine guns and telling people you re going to "kill" them is not appropriate. Disappointed in Pixar! This should not be rated G.
Parent of a 3 and 5 year old Written byOdirom June 29, 2011

Guns, Booze, Torture and Violence -- A lovable G rated Disney Pixar Romp? I think not...

Cars 2: HORRID! I am appalled at Pixar, I am appallred at the MPAA, I am appalled at Disney! WOW! Oh, it's great if you like the James Bond movies. Buy I don't show my 3 year old daughter James Bond movies-BECAUSE SHE IS ~THREE~! It was as much violence if not more than most James Bond movies and it was rated -G- WHAT THE HECK?! But the James Bond movies have a touch of class! And YES, I mean "Bond, James Bond." The ones with Sean Connery and Roger Moore. This was a VERY violent film, the violence was done in a VERY adult manner. This was NOT a G rated film! I would never rate any of the Bond movies as rated G. This was horrid. Horrid. Good movie for a 7 year old or higher. But I was expecting to have a caring, mild romp with the lovable characters that we fell in love with in the first Cars movie. This was NOT Cars 2. It's not G rated, it's not for young kids. If you can get past the violence, drinking, the gunfire (copious amounts)--then Pixar does a typical high quality job. But the Incredibles was a far less violent movie with WAY less gun play. Did you think that drinking, guns and violence would be the top issues with this movie? From a G rated Pixar Disney film? And yes, you read right. at one point one of the cars is tortured and killed. The voice was a noticeable one as well. He is currently playing an ex-FBI agent on a spy show...huh...not much of a stretch. But his car is tortured and killed. I did NOT see this coming.
Parent Written bytckmsd June 29, 2011

Not for little kids!

I'm very disappointed that Disney has been marketing all the Cars toys to kids age 1-5 and now the new Cars 2 movie we've been waiting for is too violent and the spy plot is not something kids this age understand at all. That said, I think I personally would have enjoyed the movie (as an adult) if I hadn't been worrying about my kids (3 and 7) the whole time.
Parent of a 3 and 4 year old Written byAmyPags June 29, 2011

Such a disappointment

The aggressive violence had nothing to do with the original and it lacked all the sweetness and cleverness we loved.
Parent of a 6 and 8 year old Written bykhancock0 June 29, 2011

Skip it

Not nearly as positive a movie as the original. Too much violence. James Bond meets Cars is not a good formula.
Parent of a 4 and 7 year old Written byRN_Mama June 29, 2011

Horribly violent, not for kids under 8 years old, NOT A G MOVIE!

This movie was over the top violent and not for children under 8 in any way. Violence, killing and machine guns dominate nearly every scene of the movie. Cars are captured and tortured to death graphically. My 4 year old was terrified and crying. There is more James Bond to this movie than the regular Cars theme. I felt ok taking my sons to the movie after reading the main review on THIS website but obviously the reviewer has no children. Way violent over the top, many cars are killed, the whole movie is about killing other cars, not about racing cars..... Stay away.....
Adult Written byeminemfan15 June 28, 2011

Cars!

Great movie!!! My nieces, and cousins love this movie! Such a great comedy that can bring a family closer together!
Adult Written byPKT93 June 28, 2011

Unnecessary violence....poor choices by Disney/Pixar

I find it very disappointing that my three kids, after being taken to the movie today by a family member, all responded "it was violent" when asked how the movie was. If that's the first thing that comes to mind, clearly the film is sending the wrong messages. I should have trusted my instincts when I first saw the trailer. Was it necessary to include such violence in the film? No. Could Pixar have stayed true to the story without it? Of course. It seems like witty, intelligent animated films are becoming a lost art. Maybe someday Nemo 2 will actually be made.
Parent Written bymominmotion June 28, 2011

A little too violent

A G rating was a little to generous for this movie considering it was 5X more violent than the first. I am not sure why they felt it was necessary to include the level of violence they did. My daughter (4) wanted to sit on my lap because she was scared 30 minutes into the movie.
Parent of a 4 year old Written bypbmummy June 28, 2011

Mini-Bond movie - NOT a movie for any child under 8

Very disappointed! THIS MOVIE IS TOO VIOLENT. This is not a movie for any child under 8. In addition, all of the parents who brought their little ones (under 6) were basically trying to control them in the movie as the movie did not grab their attention. Too many jokes aimed for the parents and teenagers. In addition, the plot was no better than an Austin Powers movie exception with great animation.
Parent Written byvinnie799 June 28, 2011

Cars, Great change of pace movie; Cars 2? Eh, crime violence, etc.?

I'm 55 yrs old. I had a great time at the movie. HOWEVER, my daughter and her 4yr old son was in my company at the theater. Being a fan of the original Cars movie I enthusiastically attended Cars 2. What bothered me was that it was not at all the tender, wonderfully animated movie that Cars was. In my opinion there was a heck of a lot of violence. Now, the old Warner Bros and Hanna-Barbera cartoons had some violence but it was very brief nad the 'victims' ALWAYS bounced back almost immediately. In this movie characters got hurt, blown up, and socially innapropriate. In two scenes Mater was caught up in a life and death situation. Bother were intense. So much so that my grandson started to cry in a way that we almost had to leave the theater! A childrens' movie shouldn't be able to muster that kind of emotion in a child whom the movie is geared to. To an adult with little ones in their life, ya might want to wait to buy the DVD, view the movie and make your own decisions.