All parent member reviews for Cars 2

Parent of a 10 year old Written bycarter0617 June 28, 2011

volient

u think i am crazy saying that it has to much violence but many cars get blown up and there is some guns and you see cars body parts floating inthe warter
Adult Written bynduns June 27, 2011

Oh boy...

After Pixar miraculously made a perfect trilogy, it seemed impossible for them to make a bad film... and yet here we go. I know this is a sequel to their weakest film, but come on! This is like Dreamworks writing! Heck, if this had been written by Dreamworks, I could have accepted the mediocrity, but oh no, this is Pixar, the kings of CGI we're talking about here. This film had no soul whatsoever. Aside from Mater, who's his lovable old self, there are no likable characters in this whole thing. Even the characters from the first film aren't as likable as they were before. What I love about Pixar is how their films always seem to be more for adults than for kids. This was clearly just for kids because it barely tries to appeal to adults.
Parent Written bySjimama June 27, 2011

Cars 2 shatters the image of Cars. Not for small kids.

Take your kids to this movie if you choose to expose them to machine guns, Mater being repeatedly being called an idiot and and a fool, bombs, cocktails, torture scenes. It just kept on going. My 4 year old wanted to know why Mater was shooting those cars with his "cameras" and why they were causing the big scary fires. Thanks Pixar the sweet life of Radiator Springs has been shattered for this 4 year old.
Parent Written byJP in Ohio June 27, 2011

BAN Cars 2 -- I'm saddened by Disney lack of caution!

CLEARLY, Disney paid off SOMEONE to get this film at a "G" rating!!!!!!! It is SO NOT A "G" -- at least a "PG 13"!!! Disney should be ashamed of placing this kind of violence in front of America's children! We went with 19 people total in our movie watching group; kids ranging from 18 months to 7 years and long story short, over half of our group left Cars 2 mid way through the film. The word, "Kill" was mentioned constantly, the line from Lighting McQueen about, "So these are the guys who want me dead!..." was inappropriate. And cars (aka people/characters) were dying and being shot up, blown up, and tour tortured left and right! Several of the 2 & 3 years olds had issues taking naps later in the day (we went to a 10:45 AM showing) and all but the 6 and 7 year old didn't say the movie was "scary". The rest of the group either cried or hid their eyes at some point in the film. Disney screwed us parents by marketing this film for over a year; sucked our children into their toys and elaborate displays in stores (toys and grocery items), only to subject our children to straight up, over the top, violence. Cars 2 should have been a follow up to Cars 1 -- similar to how Disney handled "Toy Story" 1, 2 and 3. VERY, VERY, VERY disappointed and sincerely hope this film fails and falls short of any monetary expectations Disney had.
Parent Written byNC_Pop June 27, 2011

STOP- Dont Go-Seriously,STOP- Your Kids WILL Cry

Kids: 3 and 4 - The first Cars movie was a near perfect movie for kids. "Fish out of water", strong socialization lessons, and trying your best would have made an excellent story, amazingly Pixar also chose to produce a movie with no bad guy, (Chick Hicks was overly competitive and a bad sportsman, my kids understood he was being bad, but not scared of him), that made for a great movie. It’s literally the only disc the kids watch repeatedly and we have also had to replace it once due to just wear. Find another movie with no villain, no violence, and can keep kids engrossed for 2 hours… When we saw the Cars2 was coming out the whole family was very excited, especially since this was going to be their first movie. Sadly however, the movie was far too violent and the story too outrageous for anything but a zero rating. The level of violence, harsh language, and general scariness, make this movie unwatchable for anyone concerned about violent content or adult themes. I sat dumbfounded as the movie goes from bad to worse, to omg I can’t believe they just did that while my son sat confused and uneasy watching his favorite characters fight for their lives. It was horrible. They should have just stuck with the alternative fuel green message, and did three races for the world champ, that would have been great. In the end, we slogged through it, but that night he said that he never wanted to see it again, ever , and all he liked was the movie were Lightning fixed the road. Thank goodness we have the DVD. Zero stars an apology from Steve L., and a full refund if it were possible.
Parent of a 2 year old Written byallikendr1 June 27, 2011

Not G- way too much violence

This is a very violent cartoon and should be PG at least, not G. It is nothing like Cars, the original. The whole movie is chase scenes, shooting and bombing.
Parent of a 2 year old Written byjenatl June 27, 2011

Cars 2 is violent for young children

Extremely disappointed in the violence, the cars drinking martinis in clubs, and the alternative fuel message. Can't we just have a movie that is truly for kids??
Adult Written bynal01 June 26, 2011

Cars 2. Shockingly violent. A disgrace to the PIXAR saga.

I have never written a review online before, but I am so very disappointed with Cars 2 that I had to do it. I watched Cars 2 today and I regret the money I spent. Taking into consideration that this movie anthropomorphizes cars there are quite a few scenes in my opinion inappropriate for children: 1) The view of an Agent Car body pressed into junk, 2) Lots of shooting, 3) A Car falling into the ocean and dismembered/destroyed with the impact 4) Cars burned 5) Cars threatened with possible death 6) There is a scene where two Mafia Cars beat up an Agent Car in a bathroom ... just insane!!! 6) In another scene there is a Car being tortured and then the mafia boss gives the order to have him killed!!!!. I agree with other comments, it should not be G rated. It seems PIXAR has run out of great story lines and has resorted to violence as a selling point for their movies. Absolutely disappointing.
Parent Written byEcomom1 June 26, 2011

Thought it was fun and my 4 year old enjoyed it

Seriously people, you need to go watch the cartoons we were raised watching in the 80's because they have nothing on this movie. Think about Tom & Jerry, this was much milder!! I agree, the guns were a bit much, but this was a James Bond kid movie. And this was also made for the generation who grew up loving the first cars in 2007. This had a great message that I hope most kids picked up on instead of listening to their parents complain about how bad it was
Parent of a 4 and 7 year old Written bykevinandtracey June 26, 2011

No problem with this movie!

Ok. This movie is getting a totally bad rap here. I agree that there is shooting and that some characters refer to eliminating other cars. BUT, there is a lot of good to this movie. The idea of being who you are and trying regardless is very good. Also, McQueen accepts Mator even though he does not always fit in. I am a teacher and this is an important message. Even as parents we often try to change our kids into people they are not. Overall, the characters are fun-loving and the whole idea of why the bad cars are bad is a great topic of discussion. Get beyond the guns...I would prefer not to see them, but I have two boys and I understand that they cannot be sheltered from that reality for long. My kids get frightened at the easiest things. My 4 year old will not watch Diego because the animals are in trouble. He was 100% fine in this movie. Not once was he afraid and the movie we saw was 3D. ALso, this was only his 4th movie he has seen in a theatre (2nd in 3D). We are not avid movie goers. Finally, the story is pretty advanced. Much more complicated than the first movie. I am not sure my kids understood it all. Nonetheless, we all enjoyed this movie. It is NOT as bad as the other reviews are saying.
Parent Written byCatdaddyKeys June 26, 2011

Merely Good Entertainment

Cars 2 is a good-looking, entertaining film, but little more. Oddly, it lacks the real heart so characteristic of all Pixar's films, especially the first "Cars." It is likely their weakest effort to date. Though critics were not kind to the original Cars, it remains this family's favorite. This new film is not as rewarding. It's plotty, but not particularly suspenseful. It has flashes of the reliable Pixar brilliance, but resorts to (very brief) toilet humor - and now it is possible for cars to die from age or foul play. It is difficult to care for the new characters. In the first, Paul Newman owned us. Sadly, Michael Caine does not. And a bit of Mater is hilarious, but this film leaned on him too hard. That said, weak Pixar is still better than most films, especially those intended as "family entertainment." But keep your expectations modest. Note: as with most 3D animation, Cars 2 uses the medium particaulrly well, with the added depth making the story far more immersive. (In short: spend the extra bucks for this. Don't do so for, say, "Thor" should you go for Parent's Night Out.)
Parent Written byMominFL June 26, 2011

NOT for little ones

I took my gifted 3 year old to see this movie because he so enjoyed the original. He left the theatre depraved and threw all of his Cars at home in a box. Guns and violince make up the majority of this movie. Who on earth gave this a G rating? I already submitted my complaint to the FTC. I would absolutely not allow a child under 10 to see this film.
Parent Written bycat0803 June 26, 2011

TOO VIOLENT VERY DISSAPPOINTING!!!!

We took our 2 boys to see this last night, our oldest is 14 so i wasnt really worried, but our youngest is just 4 and is a HUGE cars fan. The oldest thought it was great, but the youngest, didnt get it, was way to violent for him, and he actually got upset at how Maters feelings got hurt, and kept saying its ok Mater I love you...we were so excited to see it and for the last week have been counting down the sleeps, and i have never been so shocked and disappointed in a movie for kids for before..i think the age group of the kids that support the franchise of cars was forgotten when they made this movie, its not the 14 yr olds that have the bedding and the clothing! the msg of if your different for whatever reason you should change to be like others was appalling and the obvious violence was just too much!! Save your money and burn a copy of the net hahahaha
Parent Written byOpus49 June 26, 2011

Too Much Violence

Stunning, stunning, stunning... that is all I can say. As others have pointed out, this movie is way, way, way too violent for little children. We walked out during the scene where one car is being interrogated (essentially tortured) and threatened with destruction in order to extract information. I just can't believe Pixar made this tripe and I'm extremely disappointed at the MPAA. I can't tell you if the movie is any good because I was too busy being horrified at the amount of violence on the screen that my 4 year old was being subjected to. Ridiculous.
Parent of a 2 and 5 year old Written byIlovesmybabies June 26, 2011

Outraged! Thanks for he heads up!

Thank you to all of you that have seen the Cars 2 movie. I am so sorry that you had to expose your children to such trama. Especially to that concerned Dad that wrote such a lengthy, (sorry, the only way I can identify you) but necessary review. I would with absolutely no problem take my children 5 & 2 out of a movie and teach them that it is ok to leave a movie. They don't just have to sit there and take it. It gives them the power. Hopefully they will use it in other circumstances that may find themselves in, in a postition that they can make a choice to stay or go. I have already taught them that if they see something that they don't like or it scares them, to look away. (I myself still do that to bothersome trailers when watching other movies). I don't want nor need that energy! You are giving your child a choice and teaching them they can be safe. (Make sure you have a discussion of what happened and why you left, of course). Good for you for writing your review! I was going to take my sons, (we have seen the first movie on video and only "Yogi Bear" - tolerable....in the theatres, so I make sure I don't expose them to negative and inappropriate movies. Just because it's a cartoon, does not mean it is suitable for children, of any age......... I was going to take them to this movie this afternoon and wanted to check out the reviews because I saw the trailer and it looked iffy. Thank you for all your descriptions. I will stay clear of this exposure to my children. Outrageous how they would make a movie like this to sequel the first one. I am appalled! But that is what movies are like these days, pushing the limit! I guess they hear the big kids say that the movie is for babies ( I read that review a few times), so they have to push it to the limit for the older kids, (which don't have to watch that bull**** either). It's all really pathetic actually. I just told my husband that we are not taking them today or any day, (we were going to wait till holidays maybe), and certainly not on video. Thanks to you all who wrote a review, I am so sorry that you all had to be victims of this extreme disappointment, but mostly sorry for your kids. Please please talk to them about it and check in every once in a while, just because they don't bring it up, doesn't mean they aren't still thinking about it. I really needed to read that one Dad's review to really get a feeling that in no way would I take them, how pathetic our movie rating system is , and how pathetic the movies are, and it fueled this reply back.
Parent Written bypearlgirl1998 June 26, 2011

Garbage unsuitable for kids.

Shockingly violent for a g rated film. Bad story, too. My 4 year old loved cars and was bored by this. Who did pixar pay off at the mpaa to get a g rating?
Parent of a 3 year old Written bykiiir June 26, 2011

Too violent for younger kids

Parent Written byjratko June 26, 2011

Way too violent

The violence was horrible. Multiple, long sequences of shooting equal to that in a James Bond movie! Machine guns, bombs, missiles, cars being killed, torture... This was NOT the same friendly, easy going Cars movie as the first. There were also a lot of mild negative language, like idiot, jerk, stupid, etc... And I felt the plot was not understandable to my son who knows the first movie backwards and forwards and can recite the lines. This one left him with a big question mark on his face.
Parent Written byteachermom1 June 26, 2011

Much Too Violent for Young Children!

The film definitely deserves a PG rating. My son actually cried and told me he was scared when Mater and the other spies were in peril and Lightning McQueen’s life was threatened. I’m also angry that Disney did not warn parents about the extreme violence and intensity of this film, particularly because the second movie contrasts so much with the sweetness and innocence of the first. The film catered far too much to adults, and the plot was too complicated for young ones. I feel like I traumatized my son by taking him to see this movie; we spent the entire afternoon processing the film.
Parent of a 3 and 5 year old Written byelc003 June 26, 2011

Entertaining, but violent.

This was not as good as the first. No laughs and my 5 yr old daughter was bored and scared. It is extremely loud and a little scary. My 3.5 year old son loved it, but I cringed at how many guns, explosions,and general violence/talk of "McQueen will be dead", "idiot" etc. If there was no brand recognition with the tot set I would say this would have been a PG for violence. WAY too much Mater in my opinion. Our hero is Lightning McQueen and there's just not much of him in this movie, It's all Mater, who I find super annoying to listen to. Positive message overall about appreciating your friends and being yourself, but we missed McQueen action.