All member reviews for Cars 2

Cars sequel revs up action and mixes in spy thrills.

Parent Written bycat0803 June 26, 2011

TOO VIOLENT VERY DISSAPPOINTING!!!!

We took our 2 boys to see this last night, our oldest is 14 so i wasnt really worried, but our youngest is just 4 and is a HUGE cars fan. The oldest thought it was great, but the youngest, didnt get it, was way to violent for him, and he actually got upset at how Maters feelings got hurt, and kept saying its ok Mater I love you...we were so excited to see it and for the last week have been counting down the sleeps, and i have never been so shocked and disappointed in a movie for kids for before..i think the age group of the kids that support the franchise of cars was forgotten when they made this movie, its not the 14 yr olds that have the bedding and the clothing! the msg of if your different for whatever reason you should change to be like others was appalling and the obvious violence was just too much!! Save your money and burn a copy of the net hahahaha
Parent Written byOpus49 June 26, 2011

Too Much Violence

Stunning, stunning, stunning... that is all I can say. As others have pointed out, this movie is way, way, way too violent for little children. We walked out during the scene where one car is being interrogated (essentially tortured) and threatened with destruction in order to extract information. I just can't believe Pixar made this tripe and I'm extremely disappointed at the MPAA. I can't tell you if the movie is any good because I was too busy being horrified at the amount of violence on the screen that my 4 year old was being subjected to. Ridiculous.
Parent of a 2 and 5 year old Written byIlovesmybabies June 26, 2011

Outraged! Thanks for he heads up!

Thank you to all of you that have seen the Cars 2 movie. I am so sorry that you had to expose your children to such trama. Especially to that concerned Dad that wrote such a lengthy, (sorry, the only way I can identify you) but necessary review. I would with absolutely no problem take my children 5 & 2 out of a movie and teach them that it is ok to leave a movie. They don't just have to sit there and take it. It gives them the power. Hopefully they will use it in other circumstances that may find themselves in, in a postition that they can make a choice to stay or go. I have already taught them that if they see something that they don't like or it scares them, to look away. (I myself still do that to bothersome trailers when watching other movies). I don't want nor need that energy! You are giving your child a choice and teaching them they can be safe. (Make sure you have a discussion of what happened and why you left, of course). Good for you for writing your review! I was going to take my sons, (we have seen the first movie on video and only "Yogi Bear" - tolerable....in the theatres, so I make sure I don't expose them to negative and inappropriate movies. Just because it's a cartoon, does not mean it is suitable for children, of any age......... I was going to take them to this movie this afternoon and wanted to check out the reviews because I saw the trailer and it looked iffy. Thank you for all your descriptions. I will stay clear of this exposure to my children. Outrageous how they would make a movie like this to sequel the first one. I am appalled! But that is what movies are like these days, pushing the limit! I guess they hear the big kids say that the movie is for babies ( I read that review a few times), so they have to push it to the limit for the older kids, (which don't have to watch that bull**** either). It's all really pathetic actually. I just told my husband that we are not taking them today or any day, (we were going to wait till holidays maybe), and certainly not on video. Thanks to you all who wrote a review, I am so sorry that you all had to be victims of this extreme disappointment, but mostly sorry for your kids. Please please talk to them about it and check in every once in a while, just because they don't bring it up, doesn't mean they aren't still thinking about it. I really needed to read that one Dad's review to really get a feeling that in no way would I take them, how pathetic our movie rating system is , and how pathetic the movies are, and it fueled this reply back.
Kid, 11 years old June 26, 2011

uggh dont bother seems way stuptid

i agree with Dizzycat seems way too viloent
Parent Written bypearlgirl1998 June 26, 2011

Garbage unsuitable for kids.

Shockingly violent for a g rated film. Bad story, too. My 4 year old loved cars and was bored by this. Who did pixar pay off at the mpaa to get a g rating?
Parent of a 3 year old Written bykiiir June 26, 2011

Too violent for younger kids

Parent Written byjratko June 26, 2011

Way too violent

The violence was horrible. Multiple, long sequences of shooting equal to that in a James Bond movie! Machine guns, bombs, missiles, cars being killed, torture... This was NOT the same friendly, easy going Cars movie as the first. There were also a lot of mild negative language, like idiot, jerk, stupid, etc... And I felt the plot was not understandable to my son who knows the first movie backwards and forwards and can recite the lines. This one left him with a big question mark on his face.
Parent Written byteachermom1 June 26, 2011

Much Too Violent for Young Children!

The film definitely deserves a PG rating. My son actually cried and told me he was scared when Mater and the other spies were in peril and Lightning McQueen’s life was threatened. I’m also angry that Disney did not warn parents about the extreme violence and intensity of this film, particularly because the second movie contrasts so much with the sweetness and innocence of the first. The film catered far too much to adults, and the plot was too complicated for young ones. I feel like I traumatized my son by taking him to see this movie; we spent the entire afternoon processing the film.
Parent of a 3 and 5 year old Written byelc003 June 26, 2011

Entertaining, but violent.

This was not as good as the first. No laughs and my 5 yr old daughter was bored and scared. It is extremely loud and a little scary. My 3.5 year old son loved it, but I cringed at how many guns, explosions,and general violence/talk of "McQueen will be dead", "idiot" etc. If there was no brand recognition with the tot set I would say this would have been a PG for violence. WAY too much Mater in my opinion. Our hero is Lightning McQueen and there's just not much of him in this movie, It's all Mater, who I find super annoying to listen to. Positive message overall about appreciating your friends and being yourself, but we missed McQueen action.
Parent Written byJem George June 26, 2011

Based on the reaction of an almost 4 year old, McQueen fan.

Today we saw the 10:15am am session of Cars2 with our 3yr old. While he seemed to enjoy most of the film and certainly was transfixed for the duration, at 7:30pm we're still fielding questions from him about the violence. I don't believe this film should have been rated G. At the very least it should have been PG. I don't dispute it's a great animation and has a fantastic soundtrack that my son frequently bopped along too, but I also think it's an inappropriate visual experience for smaller children. When asked if he wanted to see the movie again my son said 'No'. When asked 'why?' he responded in a way indicating that the characters representing the 'bad guys' scared the crap out of him. While these Pixar films typically have dual layers of storyline (one for the kids and one more subtle for Adults), I think this time the balance was the wrong way round. My husband and I agreed the Adult level storyline including the violence and implied murder and espionage was hardly masked, while there was really very little in the way of child friendly morals and funny tales for the younger child. Now I'm not sure, (because my child is only 3years old) but I'd guess this is more suited to kids around 8years old. I wouldn't have expected to be dealing with questions from my 3yr old about death 9hours after seeing the film. It certainly left an impression on him but I dare say not the best one!
Parent Written byburtmustin June 25, 2011

The people of Pixar should be ashamed.

We have been looking forward to Cars 2 for over a year. I must say what we saw today was a major disappointment. There was so much violence I was surprised the film was rated G. My daughter age 4 was afraid much of the time. The only funny scenes in the film were in the previews that have been everywhere on TV. The people of Pixar should be ashamed of themselves for releasing a terrible film.
Adult Written byDr.Pepper June 25, 2011

...

A lot of gunshots and explosions for a G rated movie. Other than that it is clean.
Kid, 12 years old June 25, 2011

Much more violent sequel is exciting but iffy for young kids!

I understand how some parents feel about this movie being terrible for young kids and that it should be rated PG. Well, I agree too. The movie was excellent for older kids though. Totally worth the money! But the MPAA Rating System totally failed in this movie. With constant violence, action, death threats, some drinking and a scene of torture, this movie obviously needs a PG rating. If Pixar was really trying to make this a G movie, then there wouldn't be so much violence in it. But again, it was a stupendous movie, but don't watch it with your young ones. They MIGHT end up with nightmares. This movie is an iffy choice for 6-8. But it really depends on the maturity level of your child. Oh, and I forgot to mention that the movie has a great positive message about friendship and teamwork. Also, you can learn about some famous landmarks.
Parent of a 4 and 8 year old Written byForPetesSake June 25, 2011

Not for little ones and a disappointing sequel

I was suprised to find the movie rather boring. It was very like lots of other movies involving a lot of shooting, chasing and blowing things up though there were some good jokes for adults. My 8 year old enjoyed it a lot but the younger kids in the theatre (particularly the 3-5 group) looked bored.
Adult Written byTecFan09 June 24, 2011

Cute, Funny and Colorful. My family and I loved it.

Ok I don't care what critics say. I was expecting for this to be terrible based on what they said. But it was very much the opposite. A great follow up to the original. I love how they manage to transform everything into a cars world version of both types of people and famous world land-marks. And the art and detailed sets are absolutely breath-taking. The story was cute and how can you not love Mator? I really felt for him when he realized how much of a "fool" he was. A great summer family flick! Admittedly not Pixars BEST work ever, but def. a great addition to the collection!
Kid, 11 years old June 24, 2011

Great Movie!

Well, I was kind of scared to go see this movie for fesr of being totally dissapointed (only because of the reviews). Let me tell you, the critics are FAILS! This movie is awesome! The action scenes, which are many, are incredible! The story is pretty, good even if it is a tad bit predictible. There are two car deaths, but you don't see either, you only hear an explosion from the second death, and you just see the first car, as a blue compact cube, like in WALL-E, or Monster's Inc. Other than that, there are some explosions, shooting, and when Finn supposedly "dies" in the beggining, he sends up a set of decoy "dead tires", to make the villian think he's dead. I also want to say that my brother, (4) and my sister, (9) saw this movie with me, and my lil' bro. LOVED this movie. It's his new favorite movie, Cars, now being his second. I just want to tell you that he was totally terrified of Toy Story 3 and still is, but he wasn't scared of this @ all. Once the movie finished he said, "That, was awesome!". Overall it was an awesome movie, but I'm still disapointed with the critics for not liking this fabulous movie.
Parent of a 6 year old Written bypelvis June 24, 2011

awful

This makes the first Cars look like the greatest film ever made. Honestly, this is a shockingly awful sequel. Parents will be in hell watching it.
Kid, 11 years old June 24, 2011

Great

I thought this movie was great, although I think it could have been rated PG.