All member reviews for Cars 2

Cars sequel revs up action and mixes in spy thrills.

Teen, 15 years old Written byTheton1789 September 1, 2014

Pixar's First Disappointment

Pixar's sequel to the family friendly movie Cars takes a different approach for its more violent sequel Cars 2. Parents need to know that Cars 2 is a kid friendly action espionage film that acts more as a spin off than a true to sequel to the original. Cars 2 features action violence that can sometimes be intense including car chases, shootouts, a torture scene, a death trap escape scene, characters in almost constant peril, and a couple characters good and bad being killed (including one in the beginning of the movie). Characters use all sorts of weaponry including realistic guns, missiles, bombs, torches, and mines to attempt to kill each other during fast paced action scenes. One notable intense scene is one where a minor character is tortured for information and eventually killed off camera at the end of the scene. Insults are minor including stupid, moron, idiot, and other small insults. Characters drink martinis in a night club. Overall, I think this movie is okay for 6+ but I believe this movie deserved a higher rating of PG like Pixar's other action film The Incredibles (Which by the way is much better movie).
Teen, 17 years old Written by1raptor August 23, 2014

WHY!!!!!WHY???????

This movie essentially ruins the first by making it a violent and relatively offensive/stereotypical movie. It is more violent than any kids movie I remember. Cars blow up, get smashed, tased, threatened with flamethrowers, guns, a boat blows up, bombs go off everywhere, the villian is crazy and DOESN'T WANT TO TAKE OVER THE WORLD,BUT MURDER CARS! This adventure made me feel like I wanted to leave the theater(and I did, only to see it with my brother on tv a year later)
Teen, 14 years old Written byjxvk22 August 10, 2014

Lot of guns!

For a movie geared for younger kids this had a lot of guns, explosions, and cars shooting at each other. I saw this a couple years ago with my younger siblings, and was very disappointed. At one point you see a car that has been compressed in to a cube, which may by scary for very little children. Over all I think its not really worth watching. Too many guns for little kids.
Educator and Parent Written bymolepoblano July 27, 2014

Terrible

I watch the first Cars with my 4 year old. It's a great movie. Cars 2, on the other hand, is a totally different thing. There are the car races, my son likes that. The cars from Radiator Springs is sort of there. But even McQueen takes a backseat to Mator. This one is mostly about Mator being mistaken for a spy, and LOTS of violence and plot twists that make it hard for a 4 year old to keep up with. Definitely skip this. The only reason the DVD is good is for the two shorts it has in the bonus features--and one of them is the prelude to the Planes movies.
Kid, 12 years old January 5, 2014

Cool

Cool
Teen, 13 years old Written byDsim64 December 14, 2013

Read the fine print people.

When you roll over violence and scariness in the written review the violence is described in detail. But the violent sequences are in the right places, they should have been toned down a lot. When you get past it, the plot is odd and confusing, but everything else lives up to Pixar.
Teen, 13 years old Written byEric Paul September 21, 2013

More violence

Kid, 10 years old August 31, 2013

This has to be the cream of the crop of Pixar movies!

It is more violent than the original Cars movie due to the James Bond references such as Finn McMissile, who is like the car of the James Bond movies. Also, there is a few instances of offensive language and some insults are hurled (probably coming from the "lemon" cars). Also, at a party, various cars drink "cocktails" which looks like a bottle of "oil" (since real-world card run on gas and oil). Closing response: OK, this has more action than the first Cars movie to conclude with.
Kid, 12 years old August 19, 2013

Awful.

THIS IS THE WORST MOVIE EVER IT IS CONFUSING AND TERRIBLE!!!!!!! NOTHING GOOD ABOUT THIS MOVIE!
Kid, 12 years old August 8, 2013

To violent for G

I saw the first cars when I was very young and loved it. So when I watched the 2nd one with my cousin, I had to look at it from the perspective of a six year old. I could handle all of it but it does not deserve to be G at all. Guns are constantly flashed and one character is tortured. Also a bomb is strapped to Mater and someone screams "BOMB!" At that moment, cars scream and run in panic and many security guards aim their guns at Mater. Bomb threats are not funny and are not appropriate for young kids. Mater also has two turrets on his sides which are misfired. High power sniper rifles are aimed at McQueen, The first Cars installment is definitely a better choice for the younger ones.
Teen, 15 years old Written bySakrr27498 July 28, 2013

L-O-V-E-D Mater, but doesn't have connection with first part

Very good positve role models, a quite good message. But there were violence and secret missions. On my opinon this sequel is worse than original Cars. But Mater is great role model and also funny. Lightning wasn't in first plan and so i didn't really liked the name (Cars 2). It should more like a spin-off instead of sequel. And what i hated is that it didn't have connection with first part!
Teen, 15 years old Written byskeletonslife441 July 19, 2013

The only worst Pixar film yet?

3 words: Too. Much. VIOLENCE!!!
Teen, 13 years old Written byTheBombFunn July 15, 2013

Spectacular masterpiece from Pixar! :D

Altough not quite as good as Cars 1 or related to it, I thought this was a very good sequel and deserve a much better rating than what reviewers (mostly parents) have gaven it here. I mean c'mon, iffy for 10? Just because it's a bit violent doesn't mean you have to be overprotective and give it one or two stars(heck, maybe even zero). Children should be exposed to violence at a somewhat early age or they're going to grow up weak and wimpy. I don't know if all little kid's will be scared of the violent content, this is a know-your-child situation. The violence isn't even all that bad, I even saw reviews saying it was very gory and had blood and guts? Seriously? Blood and guts? You expect that in a Pixar film, what is wrong with you people? The violence isn't really that bad, think James Bond violence involing Cars. Violence involves use of "kill", explosions, cars exploding, two cars dying, cars being squished into a block, bombs, and machine guns. There are also good role models too, Mater respects and cares for Lightning McQueen even if they don't do the right thing they learn a lesson, each character learns a lesson at the end of the film. There are plenty of strong messages about friendship, caring, respecting, and loyalty. The language isn't an issue, the only language is "kill", "die", "idiot", "fool" and "dang". Sex isn't an issue at all, the only thing close is some mild flirting between Mater and Holly. Drinking is cars drinking cocktails. This film is great! However, the animation could've been better. In the first one, it looked like real cars, but in this, they looked like rubber cars, not in a bad way. Overall, I highly recommend this film to all families and Pixar fans.
Kid, 12 years old July 8, 2013

A bit more violent than disney pixar films! My MPAA Rating: PG-13 for violence, sex and language.

This is a little more violent than Cars, I am disappointed to say that this is rated PG-13.
Kid, 11 years old July 3, 2013

Really?

I am very, very disappointed with the reviews that these users have given. I understand that it had quite a bit of violence for a G-rated Pixar movie. However, my five-year-old brother watched the movie and the entire time he was delighted with what he was finding. He had been looking forward to the movie since Pixar had announced there would be a sequel to the beloved Cars. He was not disappointed, and neither was I. I'm eleven and I watched this movie three times a day for about a week. All of the violence is cartoonish. In order to have a James Bond sort of theme, you must have guns. Period. And for all those people out there wondering whether or not "Monsters University will have blood and guts", I am here to say that you are out of your mind. This movie was not that violent! A couple of guns here and there does not mean the movie should be rated PG-13. According to certain critics, this movie should be rated with the same symbol (NOT FOR KIDS) as Spring Breakers. Really? I know for a fact that this movie is not as bad as the R-rated movies that people are comparing it to. Give it a break, people! It's one movie! Commanding other people not to see it is horrible! I understand your need to "warn" other parents about it, but going so far as to say that Pixar is a horrible production company is way too far. Way too far. What happened to all the other films Pixar has produced: Finding Nemo, Cars, The Incredibles, Toy Story? Are those no longer good films? This movie should not define Pixar! No, it wasn't as good as the first. But I am heartbroken to find that when I came to Common Sense Media to review one of my favorite movies, I found 135 negative reviews in JUST THE PARENTS SECTION! I need not go into the kids section to find that people have no taste or "common sense". I am appalled by some of the comments I am finding. People are using language and inappropriate things in their comments, and then saying that this movie has too much language. Get a grip, people! You don't need to be a hypocrite. I advise all parents or kids reading this to watch the movie and tell me what you think. If it really bothers you, so be it. But do not let all of the other reviews determine whether or not you see the movie. I know that this review is probably deemed unimportant compared to the hundreds of negative reviews. However, I hope whoever reads this will actually have some sense. After all, we are on "COMMON SENSE Media". I really love this movie and hope you do too.
Parent Written byDaddyDunes June 28, 2013

TERRIFYING

REALLY SCARY, inappropriate for teens under 17. I am 33 and I think that this movie was too scary and inappropriate for me and my family and friends. I turned the movie off after the naked car showed off her tail pipe and pulled a gun out at a car named Mater. When the car shot Mater it was to graphic for me. (the oil spills out of the car) :( I will not see planes the sequel. I saw this movie two weeks ago and the image of the car hasn't left my mind. Common Sense Media is crazy for letting six year old watch it. Guns, Violence, Raunchy, and Gory themes make this movie is not for KIDS!
Kid, 10 years old June 5, 2013

WARNING: This Movie is More Violent Than Original

Cars 2 is short and violent. I like the action but younger kids can't handle this especially if you fit lengthy battles in a film that is 1 hour and 46 minutes. First, lets get on the good side of Cars 2. Cars 2 is appealing and good (in a violent way although I said "good" because the action and the characters made it crappy so I rated it 3 stars). The violence is worse than the other movie. One part was when Mater and Holley was going to get crushed by the gears of Big Bentley and the other was when Mater had a pipe bomb in his engine. Also, in the movie there are such things as "dents" which cars get when they hit and I've never seen cars used high-tech weapons. This movie is iffy for kids 7 and under. PARENTS: Don't encourage your child to watch this movie. Some of you know your child and they might disagree to watch this movie so again don't encourage them.
Teen, 15 years old Written byAnimeIsAwesome808 June 5, 2013

Not as good as the first Cars film, but still good.

This film has great CGI, great acting, and great characters. Not as good as the first one though.
Teen, 14 years old Written byNASCAR101 May 13, 2013

nonononono!

bad movie
Kid, 12 years old March 20, 2013

what you what to know

Ok it tells you a message of being true to yourself and loyal to your friends there is a lot of guns if your kid dose not see movies with guns in it don't let them see this i think it is a good movie