Cars sequel revs up action and mixes in spy thrills.

Adult Written byTheUltamite November 3, 2011

Boring boring boring

I hated the first Cars movie, it had poor writing, characters, poor everything. This movie is even worse, by adding the confusing spy twists, this film ends up being silly, but not the Looney Tunes silly, but the "wow. . . this is sad" kind of silly. Avoid this movie at all costs
Educator and Parent Written bybmommy7 June 27, 2011

This film is NOT for children!

We also were so disappointed, shocked and appalled we walked out of the theater. I won't repeat the general points from the other reviews, as they say it all, but I will say that I was proud of walking out of the theater. I felt it taught my daughter to stand up for her values. This is not a movie for children, should not be G rated, and it affirms my lack of trust for Pixar.
Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written bymum@home June 24, 2011

Violence, drinking, car tortured to death, James Bond, oh my!

Cars 2 is NOT a film for little children. Honestly, I can't even phathom how this movie got a G rating? I think The MPAA should be ashamed of this rating. Bloodless violence should have a PG rating or PG13 rating. I would advocate Cars 2 needs a PG rating so parents can make an informed decision. My kids see age appropriate movies. I wouldn't let them see James Bond movies. The shooting didn't bother me, even the crushed car wasn't as upsetting as seeing a car tortured. Watching the scene continue in a reflection, and finally be killed by blowing him up was disturbing for the audience thus geared for. My 7 year old enjoyed the action but thought it was the longest movie he had ever seen. My 5 year old became somewhat scared and asked to sit on his dad's lap. There was drinking in numerous scenes. The first movie implied oil but the sequel doesn't present it the same way. At the restaurant in the beginning there were lots of martinis. In the Japan party scene there were open bars and cars drinking. The British pub scene had a bad guy dump the regulars' drinks, thus incite a beating. I heard "kill him" at least three times. The storyline feels jumbled. It felt like Pixar pulled ideas from James Bond movies, and a dose of alternative fuels. Tow Mater is the star, probably because of his popularity from Cars Toons: Mater's Tall Tales. There was some beautiful scenery that was first class animation. Pixar has done a wonderful animation job. I agree with other posters that said Cars 2 has lost the wholesomeness from the first movie. I realize that they wanted to keep their initial audience hooked but my 7 year old doesn't want clothing with Cars 2 on it. He might be interested in some of the toys to look at but not to purchase. Pixar should have revamped this story for little kids. The storyline feels like it was rushed so production could get started. Please excuse any typos as I am mobile.
Parent Written byashleyjean78 June 24, 2011

Cars 2 not for young children!!!

I was shocked by the amount of violence! The first movie was fine for young children and this one was scary and disturbing. Very disappointed! There are a few good jokes but it was just too much for young children who are not used to violence!
Kid, 5 years old June 24, 2011

Mater with machine guns?

dang...Cars2 was such a disappointment. My 6 year old has been counting down the days for months! It was filled with murder and machine guns, it's like the people who created it didn't see the first one. bummer!
Teen, 16 years old Written byYarael Poof August 17, 2016

This should not be G.

While I saw this movie on the premier date in theaters and loved it, it is not appropriate for younger crowds. Violence: In the first 5 minutes, we see a spy get crushed into a cube, a bunch of machine gunfire, an oil rig explode and kill a bunch of cars, artillery ships firing torpedoes, Gatling guns, and Finn bleeding oil. In the first five minutes. As the film goes on, similar violence occurs, most noticeably an American spy bleeding internally before exploding in a pretty graphic manner. Sexy stuff: Less than the first film. Some flirting, awkward couple moments. Mater crashes through a hot dog sign and comes up with the "HOT" attached to him. A very subtle reference to "lemon parties" that most kids wouldn't understand. Language: Less than the first film. A car watches a shocking news report and says "Whoa, damn." Insults like "stupid," "piece of junk," "idiot," and "crap pile." Consumerism: This movie was more or less a giant advertisement for Disney to sell their Cars products. Drinking, drugs, and smoking: Social events where cars can be seen enjoying cocktails. That same place has a barely visible cloud of smoke in the entire building. Summary: Best to watch with kids under 9, and okay for everyone over 10. If you haven't seen it, you're missing out. It is really good.
Kid, 12 years old July 15, 2016

Not bad, but WARNING!!!

This definitely should be a PG rated movie, but that doesn't mean it's a bad movie. It can be funny for some kids.
Kid, 12 years old May 31, 2016

Great sequel, but should be PG

This is the best Pixar movie yet, but it's violent and dark at times. Some cars die, and sometimes if you look carefully you can see their dead car bodies. It's ok for kids though.
Parent Written byElliott and Gwen April 28, 2016

good movie

Young kids may not understand or follow the elaborate story.
Teen, 15 years old Written byaagaash2001 April 10, 2016

Amazing

I have no idea why this film is getting negative reactions. Personally, I think the real disappointments came from the films that came late, Brave and Monsters University. This is actually a great movie because of its witty storyline and animation. As for the MPAA rating, it does have violence, but I think Toy Story 3 was more large scale. This is so amazing, I have no ideas what the fuss is all about.
Parent of a 4 and 5 year old Written byFlutter April 6, 2016

Disney Animation Meets James Bond Action

If you have active little boys and need a few minutes just to sit down and read a book or wash some dishes, this movie will hold their attention. This is the second installment in the Cars franchise and in my opinion, far better than the first. There is some quite a bit of action and some drama in this film. At least two cars "die" in the film, though their deaths are off screen. Some cars are "hurt". I rated this as a 5 and up because though these are anthromorphised cars, they are just cars. This was easy for my kids to understand that these were not real and that it is just a story. To be clear, I waited much longer before I let them see 'Frozen' or other stories with animals or people. There is a great message about friendship and staying true to your friends throughout the whole movie.
Kid, 10 years old September 26, 2015

OK For Kids

If your kids can handle violence. This is the movie for them.
Kid, 11 years old July 4, 2015

Story is not better than the first one but still awesome movie.

Cars 2 just needed to be PG in America than G. If it was G, then the violence should be toned down a lot. The soundtrack was also awesome. The effects were cool, as long as this got a PG rating. In my opinion, it's not bad. However, the MPAA should have gave this a PG rating.
Kid, 12 years old March 12, 2015

Beautifully made movie is violent

Cars 2 is much more violent then the first.Cars chase each other and the bad guys might scare young kids.On the positive side there are positive messages and role models in this movie.
Parent Written byforthelongrun027 January 5, 2015

Mouthy cars can make for mouthy little ones

I always know when my son has watched this movie because he gets mouthy, just like Lightning McQueen. Also, the movie has a subplot involving "lemons", which are cars that are just born bad and don't work well. It feels a bit icky when one of the messages we try to impart in our house is that all people are different and have different abilities and that's okay.
Kid, 11 years old October 18, 2014

I hate this movie

Horrible movie. It is so bad
Teen, 13 years old Written byABCand123 September 29, 2014

cool

cool
Teen, 15 years old Written byTheton1789 September 1, 2014

Pixar's First Disappointment

Pixar's sequel to the family friendly movie Cars takes a different approach for its more violent sequel Cars 2. Parents need to know that Cars 2 is a kid friendly action espionage film that acts more as a spin off than a true to sequel to the original. Cars 2 features action violence that can sometimes be intense including car chases, shootouts, a torture scene, a death trap escape scene, characters in almost constant peril, and a couple characters good and bad being killed (including one in the beginning of the movie). Characters use all sorts of weaponry including realistic guns, missiles, bombs, torches, and mines to attempt to kill each other during fast paced action scenes. One notable intense scene is one where a minor character is tortured for information and eventually killed off camera at the end of the scene. Insults are minor including stupid, moron, idiot, and other small insults. Characters drink martinis in a night club. Overall, I think this movie is okay for 6+ but I believe this movie deserved a higher rating of PG like Pixar's other action film The Incredibles (Which by the way is much better movie).
Teen, 17 years old Written by1raptor August 23, 2014

WHY!!!!!WHY???????

This movie essentially ruins the first by making it a violent and relatively offensive/stereotypical movie. It is more violent than any kids movie I remember. Cars blow up, get smashed, tased, threatened with flamethrowers, guns, a boat blows up, bombs go off everywhere, the villian is crazy and DOESN'T WANT TO TAKE OVER THE WORLD,BUT MURDER CARS! This adventure made me feel like I wanted to leave the theater(and I did, only to see it with my brother on tv a year later)
Teen, 14 years old Written byjxvk22 August 10, 2014

Lot of guns!

For a movie geared for younger kids this had a lot of guns, explosions, and cars shooting at each other. I saw this a couple years ago with my younger siblings, and was very disappointed. At one point you see a car that has been compressed in to a cube, which may by scary for very little children. Over all I think its not really worth watching. Too many guns for little kids.