Cars sequel revs up action and mixes in spy thrills.

Teen, 14 years old Written byKirby080808 August 1, 2011

I for one, LOVED Cars 2!

I'm a big fan of the first Cars movie and Pixar. This is actually the first film that made me want to go to a movie theater for the first time in about five years. I found this movie funny, thrilling, and entertaining. Yes, there does seem to have a bit more violence than other Pixar movies do, but I'm not going to go on about it saying "OMG IT IS TOO VIOLENT!!!!" , like many other reviews here are. Cars 2 is a very different movie from the first Cars, and in my opinion, I found this movie far more fun than the first. Don't me wrong about he first film. Cars was a great movie, with a lot of heart and a good message, but not one I would describe as a ton of FUN. I had an absolute blast watching Cars 2. I'm very surprised that people are punishing Pixar for making a movie that's just pure fun. Pixar is famous for its deep and emotional stories, and I suppose people expect that in every movie Pixar creates. But anyway, I really couldn't recommend this film more. I give Cars an on rating for ages 8 and up, because I do believe little kids could get frightened by some of the action scenes. Other than that, this is the most enjoyable movie I've seen in a long time!
Teen, 13 years old Written byArtpig August 1, 2011

Cars 2

This is a great family movie
Adult Written byBeth S July 31, 2011

GUN VIOLENCE in a G-movie???

After having the first Cars on DVD, Cars 2 was going to be a very special "first time at the movies" for my 4-year-old. At the end of the movie (half of which was spent in my lap), he announced, "I don't ever, ever want to go to the movies again". The positive messages are overshadowed by too much violence, and too many high-speed, high tension moments. The movie as a whole moved at too fast of a pace for pre-schoolers. I also found there were too many adult-geared entertainment gimmicks that were superfluous in a G-movie. It felt like the writers were more interested in self-satisfying "inside-joke" type of humor, with an excess of cultural and pop-cultural references, and less in promoting healthy entertainment for children. Finally I found the several scenes of gun violence, death and explosions to be completely out of place. Cars 2 is a complete and unfortunate departure from the simpler, gentler - albeit fun - original.
Parent Written byWhiteWoodsMama July 30, 2011

Made my 4-Year Old Cry (not in a good way)

I had to leave this movie with my four-year old. He did not like all the guns and explosions. To him the cars were REAL people and when they exploded or crashed he was in tears. After about the 6th time that he told me "Mommy I don't like this movie." I decided we were done. Not for small children. Of course it didn't help that the theater accidentally began Harry Potter first, that really freaked my little guys out!! I had to cover his eyes. Poor thing :(
Educator and Parent of a 3 year old Written byJiggleBoots July 30, 2011

May as well let your kids watch Dr. No

I can't believe this movie got a G rating, given that it's basically an animated, full-scale James Bond. Guns blazing, Mater even gets strapped with machine guns. I'm thankful my 3-year old fell asleep at the beginning, waking up only for the ending credits, because otherwise I would have walked out. This movie is not for kids under 9 or 10, given all of the violence, and on-screen deaths of characters. Boo, Disney, what happened to charming movies for little ones?
Parent of a 2, 4, 6, 8, 8, and 9 year old Written byTabithaWren July 30, 2011

Not violent at all. No bad language!

There is absolutely nothing violent about this movie whatsoever. My three year old loves it. I think it's a wonderful movie.
Parent Written byStlmom723 July 29, 2011

Great movie!

My daughter (6) and son (7) LOVED this movie! We have seen it three times in the theater. They have been playing Cars 2 at home for weeks now. Great movie!
Parent of a 4 and 7 year old Written byjulesfreak July 29, 2011

Too many guns

Despite having read the review I was still very surprised by the amount of guns in this movie. Although it is not scary, it is more violent than I would have liked for my 4-year old. I do not want my kids seeing guns as entertainment.
Kid, 12 years old July 28, 2011

TOO Violent for G rating

I thought this movie was OK. This movie is not good for little kids, wayyy too much violence. It was actually almost as violent as Green Lantern, which I saw a week later. Haven't seen the lst movie? You probably should see that instead. Its wayy less violent.
Parent Written byTriciasMomto2 July 28, 2011

My 7 year old and I really enjoyed it!

I am sorry to see so many of you didn't enjoy the movie. I went with my 7 year old son and he totally loved it. He enjoyed the action scenes and didn't come home using any bad language, those words have already been removed from his vocabulary after hearing them at school and repeating them at home. All in all I enjoyed the movie and so did he and I recommend it to any other kids probably over the age of 6 because it does get a little violent at times.
Kid, 12 years old July 28, 2011

Cars

There is violence. There isn't as good as role models and as good or as many positive messages.
Educator and Parent Written byKmama&teach July 26, 2011

Not that bad

We took our 3 year old who is a die hard Cars fan to see it & while I agree it is violent, most of it was over his head. He liked it and just came away saying Mater is Lightning's best friend.
Teen, 17 years old Written byBlue-Bunny July 25, 2011

Thrilling, deserves more praise...

Cars 2 had little in common with the first Cars and it was a different approach, but it proves that different isn't always that bad. Cars 2 has also received mixed reviews from both parents and critics alike, stating that the violence is too "hardcore" for a G-rated movie. I, myself, have to agree, but to a certain extent. I believe that parents are making too big of a deal about it. There was even one review that asked if "Monsters Inc 2 would have blood and guts". Really? Blood and guts? That's when I draw the line. So what if it has a little violence? What? Do you want your kids to grow up soft and weak? You have to expose some of the hardships of life to your children (of course, to a reasonable level). And besides, I've seen movies with worse violence (from Disney!) and I'm not talking about Pirates of the Carribean or anything, I mean the kiddie movies. And let's not forget classic 'toons, like Tom & Jerry. That's not exactly something I would call "violence-free". Though the storyline was random, it was a fresh, new concept from Pixar that people just need to learn to except. The critics and parents that bag on it (including this site) are so caught up in the G-rating mishap, that they forget the actual purpose of the movie: to entertain. Yes, that's it. It's supposed to be entertaining, if you didn't know. I got plenty of laughs and thrills from it. While the plot may be hard for some to follow (mostly young children), Cars 2 is still enjoyable for the whole family and deserves much better. It's just so underrated. I mean, all the reviews add up to two stars? That's all? It just shows how much "common sense" these people have. Now, on to the violence and such. Yes, there was plenty. Think James Bond, except it's animated, and with cars instead of people. The cars have different weapons and gadgets (guns, bombs, etc.) and there are plenty of explosions and a few (mostly off-screen) deaths. One car is crushed and a few dents are left on the cars. Mater also flirts with Holley, a female secret agent, whom he refers to as his "girlfriend". The language is mild: stupid, idiot, etc. My only small complaint (and I mean "small") was the fact that some of the original characters didn't appear much throughout the movie. That aside, Cars 2 ended positively and a nice, heartfelt message was taught (not quite as heartfelt as past Pixar movies or the first Cars, but still good) and, of course, the bad guys lose. Cars 2 was revved up with plenty of action, enough to keep your children and yourself occupied. Kids four and under, however, might not be accustomed to this violence. I do recommend this to families with older children or little kids who are not too sensitive. Whatever you do, ignore critics and sites, like Rotten Tomatoes. And one last thing, if you don't like this movie, don't waste your time hating on it. Sorry for such a long review.
Parent Written bykvgmom July 24, 2011

Might as well give Pooh Bear an Uzi

I am completely baffled by this movie. I took my 5 year old son to see this movie because it was all he could talk about. I had doubts from the trailer, but I trusted a) Pixar and b) the G rating. Awful. Cars die. Mater has machine guns that he shoots at other cars. I know it is hard to say no, but this movie is not for kids. Certainly, not the preschoolers for whom these characters have become heroes. Awful.
Parent Written bypeacefulpup July 24, 2011

Disappointing.

Disappointed in this movie. My toddler LOVES the first movie, Cars, so we thought this sequel would be equally pleasant and enjoyable with those "warm fuzzy" feelings. We were unfortunately mistaken. It was a completely different genre than the first movie. We were very turned off by the espionage story line and thought that the violence was inappropriate for the toddlers who enjoyed the first movie. Cars killing each other?? Really, Disney??
Parent Written bybigmacattack9 July 24, 2011

Iffy for 8+

Violence (PG) machine guns, bombs lots of killing not right for a Pixar film. Sexual Content (G) mild flirting Language (G) stupid and idiot. Drugs, smoking, drinking (PG) cars drink cocktails several beer cans are used in happiness. Overall Rating (PG)
Parent Written byeffigy3 July 24, 2011

a violent let down :(

Our family had been eagerly anticipating the release of Cars 2 for almost two years. If The Maters Tall Tales shorts were any barometer of what the new feature film was going to be about, it should have been amazing. Sadly Cars 2 abandons nearly everything that made the original film and the shorts great. Cars 2 is full of violence and potty humor (literally) which leaves me shocked and disappointed in the direction Pixar chose to take with this film. My 4 year old son asked my Lightning McQueen didn't like Mater any more. My 7 year old daughter asked if the bad guys were really going to kill Mater. The highlight of the film was Michael Cain as British secret agent. Too bad this film is just so violent.
Kid, 6 years old July 24, 2011

Way too violent!

I was horrified by the amount of violence in this movie. Nothing like the sweet original movie
Parent of a 3 year old Written bybutterfly_mama July 23, 2011

Boo :(

I found this movie to be very violent. It was not the funny sweet story the original is. I was disappointed but my 3.5 year old liked it and didn't seem to notice the guns(?). He did say he liked the first cars better and has not asked to see Cars 2 again.
Parent of a 4 year old Written bycry4dawn July 23, 2011

good movie for adults but to violent for children

This was really too violent for kids. Unlike other pixar movies this one should have gotten a pg like the incredibles. I thought it was a good movie personally but not for children. They kill cars, and shoot things and blow up things.