All member reviews for Cars 2

Cars sequel revs up action and mixes in spy thrills.

Parent Written bymamalovesnate July 16, 2011

Ugh. Cars 2 is too much.

I was tremendously disappointed with this version of Cars. The first Cars movie was a refreshing change from other Disney films: no peril, no villain, just a good story about friendship, having a good character, and keeping your word. This second Cars was too much - too much peril, too much violence, too much torture, too much plot, just too much of everything I didn't want to expose my 3yr old to. Sooooo very disappointing!
Parent Written byGoFish2 July 15, 2011

Common Sense Media should be ashamed of its review

Common Sense Media's apologist review understates the appalling level of violence in this movie. This is an extremely violent movie that begins with gun violence and murder (one car crushed into a cube), moves on to outright torture and murder again, and is characterized from start to finish with a banal plot premised solely on a violent struggle for economic domination through terror. Cars 2 deserves much more than the three-bomb rating for violence that CSM gives it, especially in light of the target audience being young kids. I've looked to CSM to give candid advice about the content of movies before I take my kids to the movies. Its objectivity seems to have been compromised in its review of Cars 2. CSM should demonstrate real independence from the film industry by re-visiting its shamefully low yellow for 6-year-olds rating and by putting out real information regarding the extraordinary violence in this "G" movie. Instead of struggling to come up with non-existent redeeming messages, CSM should explain how utter a betrayal this movie is of the trust and hope of the first Cars movie. This is not a "revved up" version of the first movie, with "spy thrills" and "gallons of fun". Please. They put GATLING GUNS on Mater! How sad; how sad.
Parent of a 6 and 9 year old Written byjenlcooper July 14, 2011

Enjoyable sequel for slightly older kids

We took my 9 year old son to see it, and everyone enjoyed the movie thoroughly. Very entertaining for him and us. But I am glad that I didn't bring along his 6 year old sister.
Kid, 10 years old July 13, 2011

for kids great

its good?!
Parent of a 4, 6, and 7 year old Written byajsl33 July 13, 2011

Not at all what I expected; disappointing

I took my boys (7,6,4) and was very disappointed. The "James Bond" idea was cute but not for a G rated movie. The whole movie was shooting and talking about 'killing' each car. Wasn't a fan. There was a positive message with Mater/McQueen about accepting Mater as who he is but I felt like it was completely overshadowed with all the violence. All 3 of my kids remarked about 'all the shooting'.
Parent of a 4 year old Written byrebc July 12, 2011

Should have listened to the other reviews!

We loved the first Cars movie. It was easy to let our boys watch it over and over, great messaging, no violence, little language...but this new Cars movie?...boy, way too violent and we're very liberal minded parents. My son wanted to leave after 20 minutes because the movie was too scary. I really do wish I had listened to the other reviews and skipped this movie, but I didn't believe it could be as bad as they said with the first one being so good!!
Educator and Parent Written bysnowbdr88 July 12, 2011

Too violent for small children.

As an educator and a parent of a child who LOVES Cars, I took my son to see this the day it came out as he was extremely excited to see Cars 2. I was quite disappointed. The movie was surprisingly violent with a Mustang being tortured and blown up as well as a multitude of cars carrying/using weapons of all sorts.
Parent Written byoldschoolparent July 12, 2011

Good message, but too violent.

I think this movie is way too violent. I wish I would have found this website before going to the movie. I mean what the heck is up with the rating systems today. "G" is not the same as it was 10 years ago. We are desensitizing our innocent children and wondering why our society is experiencing more problems with drugs, etc. This movie has good points and a good overall message about being yourself and selflessness, but the violence is so much and in every scene nearly. I would not let my kids see it again for many years. Shame on me for not being a more thorough parent.
Kid, 11 years old July 11, 2011

Dissapointmently violent

My 5 year old brother went to see it because he loved the first one because, he l.oves cars and stuff. But, this was way too violent for him and most of the movie was about spy work and intense stuff not about cars it was very dissapointing for him
Teen, 15 years old Written byBestPicture1996 July 10, 2011

First Pixar film to REALLY dissapoint

Unlike alot of people I wasn't too big of a fan of "Ratatouille" or "WALL-E," and regarded "Cars" as not only one of my favorite Pixar flicks but animated films in general. I loved the story of a hot-shot getting humbled in a small town, where the film focused on the characters and had a great plot. This film was garbled and bogged down with all the spy nonsense; and, I'm not hating on Larry the Cable Guy, but Mater was a great supporting character in the original film, but as the star in this one he didn't get many laughs from me or the rest of the audience. If Pixar wants to be making sequels, I'll gladly see "Incredibles 2" over this visually fantastic but let-down of a movie.
Parent Written byblake of gremlinvil July 10, 2011

cars 2 review

its a thriller with guns ninjas warlocks trolls and cyborgs that fight cthulu witch rapes 4 of the main characters and they show a movie about cars on the corner that was on the trailers
Parent Written by2004VA July 9, 2011

Not for small children

My kids loved Cars -- the original. We took them to Cars 2 and couldnt believe how violent it was. Guns, torture, killing. ABSOLUTELY should NOT be rated G. I wish I had read reviews before taking them.
Teen, 13 years old Written byMr. Beiber July 9, 2011

What happened to the old review?

Ok, I know somebody changed the review, it used to be on for ages 6 and up now it's iffy for ages 6 and up, only got 3 stars? Come on Pixar always has the best films! What is wrong with you common sense! All you do is lie, not review! Yes, there is some violence but It's a kids movie, duh. The 1st cars got 4 stars so this one should be the same, except this one is a little more violent than the 1st one. I looked at this review on June 24th, 2011 which was the day this movie came to theaters and it was a much better review, On for ages 6 and up and it got 4 stars, Common sense is the worst website on the internet! No more lies Common sense OK! This was a great film actually. My family likes it.
Parent Written bycommonmom01 July 8, 2011

Way too Violent for Children!

I was incredibly shocked at the amount of shooting violence in the movie. It was an animation of a secret agent spy adult film about an alternative fuel called allenol fuel that most 2-6 year olds would not understand. I did not appreciate their use of GUNS and WEAPONS and KARATE to handle situations. There was even a scene in the movie where a boat was blown up by the secret agent! I did like, however, how Mater was the hero in the movie this time and he did not want to get rid of his dents in the end because they were his memories. It was a nice way to show how we should accept our imperfections!
Parent of a 3 and 5 year old Written byLauraMAustin July 7, 2011

Can't believe this got a G rating

Far too violent for young children. We're not talking about one or two fist fights, or a threat or two, but constant, sustained graphic violence - beatings, torture, explosions, deaths. When you mix that with the already intense noise, color and pacing of this style of animation, it's awful for young ones. I foolishly read the commonsense "official" review only before going to see it with my 3 and 5 year olds - between that and the G rating, I figured it was fine. I should have read the parent reviews, because I agree with 90% of what has been said about this film. Not fine. My kids were okay with it, but several children in the screening had to be taken out of the theater because they were frightened. And even my tough little birds said they "didn't like all of the fighting," and didn't want to see it again. Which is good, because they aren't going to see it again. From an story perspective, the plot is so convoluted that I had trouble explaining it to other adults. And the Bond-like references and British characters (love Michael Caine!) were fab, but only if you are old enough to have actually SEEN A BOND MOVIE, in particular the vintage ones. I guarantee that at least 80% of the plot went over kids' heads. I'm pretty irritated with Pixar, the MPAA and even you, commonsense.org, who I normally trust, for not honestly describing the level of violence in this piece of cinematic garbage.
Teen, 13 years old Written byTransformers3Fan July 6, 2011

My MPAA rating

Rated PG For Some Sequences of Action Violence, A Scene Of Mild Drinking and Peril
Parent Written byslcparent July 6, 2011

NOT FOR YOUNG KIDS

I registered to this site just to post on this movie and strongly agree with all the commenters that it is way too violent and disturbing for young kids and to warn other parents not to take their young ones to see it. See other reviews for good recaps of the abundant violence, which was all pretty upsetting, but I want to focus on the torture scene. In that scene, one of the head bad guys orders that the fuel inside a secret agent be slowly heated, causing the agent obvious pain. After making the agent squirm for a while, the bad guy says "kill him," and you can see a reflection of the agent being blown up. I did not expect, at a G rated movie, to have my 4 and 6 year old kids ask me for an explanation of what was going on in a scene like that. What was I supposed to say? The worst thing is that most of the violence- and especially the torture scene- was extraneous and could easily have been cut. Honestly, the movie was too long anyway. This movie should not have been marketed to kids under 13.
Adult Written byHickoryhunt July 6, 2011

Skip the sequel

My four year old, who isn't scared by Scooby Doo cartoons, was scared by the violence in this movie. I got tired of the noise of the cars and the explosions - it was like James Bond for cartoons. The first movie was so much better.
Kid, 4 years old July 5, 2011

too violent!

Waaaay to violent for little ones! This was totally inappropriate for my 4 year old daughter. I'm so glad I've found this website I won't make this mistake again.
Parent of a 3 year old Written byjbmomma July 5, 2011

Reviewer at MPAA should be Fired!

So disappointed in Cars 2. Why did they take such a sweet movie into such a violent and convoluted direction? We went with a group of preschool kids and parents and everyone was amazed by the "G" rating. Our children learned to say "kill" today - thanks Pixar!