All member reviews for Cars 2

Cars sequel revs up action and mixes in spy thrills.

Parent Written bykitterlee June 25, 2011

Way too violent

This movie is extremely violent. I can NOT believe it got a G rating. There are so many guns, machine guns, bombs, etc. Many cars die, one is tortured and killed, and they try to kill Lightning McQueen. With the original Cars having such a huge little kids following, I really don't know what Pixar was thinking, taking it in this direction. They have shown such talent with other films, like they could pull off anything. They could have done the Bond theme without the violence, it could've been a lot of fun. Why did they have to stoop? I'm really disappointed in Pixar. This is a really bad kids movie.
Parent Written byDizzycat June 24, 2011

Should not be G rated!

For a PIXAR movie this is very disappointing. This movie should not be rated G!! Think James Bond with all the violence, guns, and deaths. You will see several cars killed and even see car "body parts" floating in the water. Also a car is tortured for information and then blown up. I really do not know how this movie got a G rating, but beware. Both my 4 year old and 6 year old ended up in the laps of adults due to being scared and I am not really how much they even understood of the actual story line. Personally, I feel like PIXAR just sold out....it is a sad day. This movie lacks the originality and heart felt story of all the other PIXAR movies.
Adult Written byKatakama June 24, 2011

Extremely Disappointing

Today is a sad day that nobody thought would come, Pixar has successfully made a bad movie. There's no emotions except for anger, shame, and arrogance, the story makes no sense, all the entertainment value is expected to come from violence and stupidity, and worst of all you feel no attachment towards any of the characters. Also, torture and death have no place in a G rated Disney/Pixar movie. Only young kids will really enjoy it, because anyone who attempts to figure out the story will be confused. But what really caught me off guard, as a multilingual person, was the use of a japanese comment that almost always translates as " What the F" or "What the He**". That does not belong in a childrens movie no matter what language it's in. I recommend not seeing this movie, but I doubt you'll be able to if you have young children. As I said before, only young children will enjoy it, and parents will enjoy when it's finally over. I would also like to point out to the kids rating this with 5 stars, that they should not be doing so without actually seeing the movie.
Parent of a 4 year old Written byaint it June 25, 2011

Not for younger children

Very disappointing. Especially to my 4 year old. The story line was hard for him to follow and I don't think he really even did. He kept asking if the cars that were killed, tortured, or hurt were going to get fixed. I opted out of seeing it in 3D due to some of the reviews I had read, saying it may be too intense for the little ones. I wouldn't recommend this one to someone with little ones, but I know how insistent they can be about something they want to do. And there has been a lot of hype for this movie. At least try to wait for DVD so they can view it in the comfort and security of their own home; maybe it won't seem so intense or scary, or mean, for that matter.
Parent Written byKilikina June 24, 2011

Too scary and violent for little ones

This movie should not be rated G. There are some good things about it, which I'll review first: Pixar comes through with their usual great animation. McQueen is embarrassed by his best friend, Mater, and tells him to stop acting like he's in Radiator Springs. Later he realizes that he is supposed to love and accept his best friend just the way he is. Lots of funny tie-ins and one-liners. Adults catching the little side jokes will be amused. Slapstick humor was much appreciated by our 8 year old child. Michael Caine is great! The bad: This show is very violent. In the opening scenes, the first guns come out and it just goes on from there. Guns everywhere! There are several violent deaths. A secret agent is horrified to see his colleague has been crushed into a cube. One car falls to his death, smashing into bits after hitting the sea from a great height. Another car is tortured when its gasoline is superheated and he is boiled from the inside out, eventually exploding. One scene depicts a car cornered in the bathroom, beaten and taken away. He is the one who is later tortured and killed. The bad guys continually threaten to kill other cars, and of course try to follow through on the threat. Characters are placed in grave danger of being crushed, shot, lasered, or bombed. Some escape, while others do not. A bomb is strapped to another character who is unable to remove it or deactivate it. Bottom line: Adults and older children may enjoy this, as it is entertaining and amusing. However, the happy Cars whose biggest problem is a beat-up road are gone, replaced by Cars who must deal with terrifying life and death scenarios. Cars 2 is a pretty good action movie, but not a great movie for the younger kids.
Parent Written byMominater June 25, 2011

I have seen this movie. Do not take your kids to this movie!

Let me start by saying I HAVE seen the movie. I have never reviewed a movie here before but was so disturbed by this movie I felt as a parent I have a responsibility to other parents to warn them about this film. THIS MOVIE GLORIFIES GUNS IN A WAY THAT SHOULD BE DISTURBING TO ANY PARENT! I do not understand how it got a G rating. I took my 6 year old and my teenage sons and at one point in the movie even my teenager leaned to me and said "mom maybe we should leave. He (the 6 year old) shouldnt be watching this". I am shocked and saddened that Disney took characters meant for kids (that our family loved) and turned them into something else. Scenes of torture, intense gun violence, explosions, death of cars, and the constant reference to tomater as the idiot and fool was not what I thought we were going to see. My child was afraid at times and did say he liked the movie but "the new cars were scary and mean". This movie is not for kids and is the first movie I have seen in a very long time that I feel this strongly about. We have waited for this movie for months and even more than disapointed I am alarmed that this amount of violence was even in a kids movie. DO NOT SEE!
Parent of a 4, 6, 8, and 10 year old Written bymichael64 June 25, 2011

I am in shock at all the gun violence in this movie. Terrible storyline for kids to try and follow as well.

After having been so impressed by the original, I was genuinely shocked and disappointed by all the gun violence in this movie...cars are killed, weapons are everywhere, and the movie simply feels like one bad, long car chase. Shame on you Pixar and shame on the Motion Picture Assocation for giving this movie a G rating...not to mention the storyline is simply too complex for any little kid to follow. I could go on and on but don't want to waste my breath on this awful, awful movie. Pixar has finally made a bad movie and it is called Cars 2. I am still in shock at all the violence. Nothing at all like the original.
Parent of a 2 and 4 year old Written bypopcorn2 June 25, 2011

This film left me shaken, not stirred.

The second Cars movie is a spy film. My almost 5 year old son seemed to love it. And that was the point of our first family trip to the movies. My husband and I, however, cringed through the whole movie. The gun violence is over the top and completely out of place in a movie franchise marketed to preschoolers. There are even a few deaths in the form of explosions. We loved the first Cars movie: No villain, no violence, no peril, positive messages...The second movie took all the charm and character from the first movie and burned it right out of the script with a flame thrower. If there is one redeeming point it is that Mater entertainingly delivers on being himself, and for that reason becomes the hero of the movie. Just make sure you mind the burning shrapnel as you dig for the positive message.
Adult Written bylmkramer507 June 25, 2011

007 film, not a cute kids' story

I was really disappointed in this film. The Cars humor I loved from the first film was only evident in the last 10 minutes when they returned to Radiator Springs; at that point I actually laughed. For the rest of the movie, I was holding my breath, thinking, "I can't believe this is so violent!" I'm not sure how this received a G rating; if it had been people instead of cars being shot and blown up it would have been PG-13 at the very least. And there's a lot of shooting and blowing up going on. My 8- and 10-year-old boys loved the movie; my 7- and 5-year-old girls did not. A young child (ages 2-4) for whom Lightning McQueen is a beloved character could well be upset at the assassination attempt on McQueen, as well as Mater being one second from being blown up by a bomb attached to him. Older kids will be better able to discern that this is fiction, but for little ones, it could be difficult. I was really disappointed in this movie. We rarely see films in the theater, and even more rarely on opening night, and I'm sad that I wasted our money on this one.
Parent Written byCrow2011 June 24, 2011

Disappointingly Violent

We are always careful about what we let our sons, age 7 and 4, watch. They are very sensitive to violence and always scared of "bad guys". The nice thing about the first Cars movie was that there was nothing in it that would frighten them. The first Cars movie was also well-written and engaging, with likable characters and a positive message about friendship. Today we saw Cars 2 because both of my boys have practically been counting down the days until it opened; I don't think there was any way we could have gotten out of going. However, I was terribly disappointed with this new installment. It is surprisingly violent, right from the beginning, with shooting, explosions, and characters tied up and held hostage. My 7 year old was happy with the story - he enjoyed the secret agent / spy storyline - but my 4 year old seemed mystified and bored and scared all at the same time. The story is convoluted and annoying and the movie felt too long and slow. It seems like the Cars franchise is being rebranded for marketing to an older group of children (Notice how the video game is cautioned for age 10 and up.) I think this movie should have had a PG rating for the violence, and I wish it would have had a better story as well.
Parent Written byAngieMomof3 June 24, 2011

Cars meets James Bond.

VERY James Bond action. More gun violence than I expected after reading the reviews. The bad guys are very damaged in the movie, close to death. It was interesting that the cars have 'cocktails' instead of oil like before. My 6 year old was entranced; my 4 and 2 lost interest in the movie. I thought it was very classy for Disney that they didn't bring back Doc, instead it is mentioned that he is gone.
Written byAnonymous March 23, 2015

Some Complements

A lot more threatening than the first one. I like the action they added! Also the cool thing is the Spy thrills.
Parent Written byJMama99 July 7, 2011

Hold off till 6+

Very disappointing sequel - not sure what Pixar was thinking here. Terrible storyline for small kids, involving lots of cars shooting each other and a car death or two. My 4 1/2 year old spent a lot of time covering his eyes from the anticipation of violence.
Adult Written byaspiemum June 24, 2011

NOT NOT NOT a "G" rated film!

My kids are big "Cars" fans...and we are big Disney and Pixar fans...that said, despite the reviews from other sites, I took my girls to see Cars 2. This is NOT, I repeat NOT, a "G" rated film! I have never seen so many weapons in a child's film before! This film does an excellent job of paying tribute to James Bond films. But if I wanted my child to see James Bond, that's what we'd watch. There are some good lessons on friendship and being yourself. But not enough to counter the level of violence. There are a few cute moments that go by in a flash that "tip their hat" to some fun culturally iconic moments of the last 10 years or so, and the technology behind the animation is quite impressive! But overall, a very disappointing experience.
Kid, 9 years old June 16, 2012

CARS 2

spy sequel much better than the first
Teen, 13 years old Written bycplovesbroadway November 27, 2011

Cars 2 has matured with its audience, but remains fun and appropriate!

A lot of parents are being mean to this movie. Why? Because they expect it to be as cute and all age appropriate as the first. But guess what. It's been FIVE YEARS since Cars came out. FIVE!!!!!! That means the 2 year olds who watched the first installment are 7, the 5 year olds 10, the 7 year olds 12, the 10 year olds FIFTEEN! So Pixar aimed this movie at its now 5 years older audience. However, even with upped violence, there are still positive messages & role models, low sexual content (that kids will notice, anyway), fairly low profanity, and no drinking. Yes, there are lots of toys and apps, etc, but what flick these days DOESN'T come with that? My four year old cousin and seven and nine year old little brothers love it!!! So don't give up on it if your kid was 2+ when they saw Cars in 2006.
Adult Written byTheUltamite November 3, 2011

Boring boring boring

I hated the first Cars movie, it had poor writing, characters, poor everything. This movie is even worse, by adding the confusing spy twists, this film ends up being silly, but not the Looney Tunes silly, but the "wow. . . this is sad" kind of silly. Avoid this movie at all costs
Kid, 11 years old August 14, 2011

First of All, Cars should NOT have had a sequel.

My title says it all. Cars was one of the best Pixar movies ever made, and the sequel more then destroyed it. And for the whole "spies" theme is fairly desperate, I mean, what is this, Spy Kids 20 billion? I don't think that it was TOO terribly violent, but it was more violent then needed. My dad and I were talking about it after walking to the car, (in a VERY disappointed matter by the way,) this was his quote. "You know, it wasn't too bad for preteens or adults that have seen the first Cars, but the plot is SO BLURRY! There is no straight forward plot that anyone can even really forward. And for a five year old, all they're going to think is 'Wow! They're shooting guns! And look, and explosion! Whoa, this is so cool! Explosions!' They won't even know what's going on!" So over all, this is a terrible movie, which could have been saved for an "The Incredibles 2" Right? Just don't see the movie. Just don't do it, man.
Teen, 15 years old Written bysky65z July 11, 2011

pixars best

This is the best pixar movie ever. The only bad thing is there is violence but it's not extreme. Two cars do die but it doesn't show them killing them.
Teen, 13 years old Written byManami July 9, 2011

It's been awhile, Cars.

One of the more violent kid movies out nowadays, but if you are overprotective about it; think. Have you taken your kids to see a James Bond movie (an older one)? Maybe enjoyed a John Wayne classic, or some other Western? ANYTHING at all with guns or explosives? Then they should be fine. A lot of foul play is being called over nothing more than a bit of carried-away cartoon violence. That being said, keep your kids away if you know they are not ones for violent cartoons. It's been 5 years since the last one - and it plays like it.