All member reviews for Cast Away

Tom Hanks' powerful, brutal, and mature story.

Age

Adult Written bytexas family April 9, 2008

Great movie that teaches children the importance of survival

My kids loved this movie. They were very interested in how he was going to survive and get off the island. Yes, there were a few brief disturbing scenes. However, they did not last long. Overwhelmingly, the movie captured my kids attention a lot more than I thought it could. They were trying to figure out what they would do and how they would handle this type of a situation.
Adult Written byTheShaman April 9, 2008

WIIIIIIIIILSON!!!!

For those who havent seen this movie yet... Get your heads out of the sand and rent it. Better yet, buy it! I know, I know, how can you like a movie that only has 2 characters for 90% of the movie? and one is a coconut (wilson). Well you will, Tom Hanks is simply Briliant in this movie! Must have seen this movie 20 times. Never gets boring! Watching Hanks learn how to make due on a deserted island is very entertaining. Cant tell you too much about this as to give away plot. ONLY ITS A MUST RENT/OWN for all viewers. Beginning of movie is a little scarry, but is entirely necessary to show how he ends up on the island. Wilson should have gotten the oscar for best supporting actor!
Teen, 13 years old Written bygarfield2710 April 9, 2008

Good but Creepy.

This movie was a great movie but its kinda creepy. The body found on the island and the airplane crash is graphic. Wait till your kids are pre-teens to see it.
Adult Written byAshnak April 9, 2008

Interesting

The coconut should have won best supporting actor. Excellent movie
Teen, 15 years old Written bybananalover March 24, 2011

i love this movie and i loved the story even though the movie was really slow it was awesome. if i were to pick a family movie for movie night i would pick this one. AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!
Teen, 15 years old Written byTnMovieFan2 April 9, 2008
Teen, 15 years old Written bybubbo April 9, 2008

I liked this movie the first time I saw it, but on second viewing it just about bored me to death. A well-made film, just not all that interesting. Also, why did Tom Hanks's character have to walk all the way up the mountain just to hang himself? That kind of bothered me!
Kid, 11 years old September 14, 2014

Awesome movie with violence and heart-wrenching scenes

This movie is WONDERFUL!!!! It is violent with a LOT of fake blood! I personally cannot deal with screams of pain and loss, so some scenes caused me to sob! The plane crash was cool and quick, but the plane assister-person hits his head on the ceiling, blood squirts everywhere, and he screams bloody-murder at the top of his lungs. Other than that, there is few, but bloody, violent parts. There is also a dead, slightly gruesome, mostly zombie-looking, body of Chuck's friend. Chuck also tries to commit suicide, then talks about it. Finally, chuck makes a blood stained volleyball his one and only friend on the island. He called the volleyball Wilson after the brand name. Wilson drifts away during a trip to sea. Chuck sobs all night, complete with "I'm sorry!" and "please come baaaaaack!". This part made me sob!!! In conclusion, know your kids, make sure they are mature enough.
Teen, 16 years old Written byMr581 July 27, 2009

Parent of a 13 year old Written byTsion April 11, 2009

A Severe but Engaging Drama...

CAST AWAY is a good movie. Tom Hanks is great, and the story is engaging. It is probably okay for most people 13+, but there are numerous intense scenes. Chuck, the main character, is stranded on an island after a severe plane crash. On the island several encounters (such as finding a decomposed body by the shore, cutting is leg on some coral, splitting his hand on wood) may be too brutal for some viewers (note: all of these scenes of injury contain blood). Language is some "s**t"s and "d**n"s. NOTE: I'm afraid I won't be able to mention these scenes in detail, but, for detailed analysis, please go to the following site:
Teen, 14 years old Written byJadenp February 15, 2011

my sister is scarred for life after this movie. beware.

Suggested MPAA Rating: PG-13 for intense graphic images, some language, and action sequences.
Teen, 14 years old Written byBestPicture1996 November 28, 2010

Worth your time

Most have seen this film, so no need to explain its plot. Chuck Noland is brilliantly portrayed by Tom Hanks, who embodies the role of a shipwrecked man who all but gives up what is left of his life. It is parts drama and comedy, the latter due to the famous volleyball, "Wilson." Only Hanks could carry this kind of film, that requires alot from its leading man.
Parent Written byPlague December 14, 2009

WILSON!

My second favorite movie Tom Hanks has acted in. Very powerful and just an all around awesome movie that teaches kids (and adults) to never give up on your loved ones, and do whatever it takes to be with them. 5 stars forever.
Adult Written bygarfield2711 April 9, 2008
Adult Written bybeseme April 9, 2008
Kid, 10 years old August 25, 2014

this movie is ok

i find this a little bit slow and it felt like the movie was four hours but its ok i still liked it
Kid, 12 years old April 23, 2014

Mind blowing film!

Cast Away is a long and intense film, very violent and dark. There is an extremely intense plane crash in which a man's head is smashed on the plane's ceiling and blood goes everywhere. The main character is cut on sticks, coral and rocks and bleeds a lot. He also considers suicide and talks about it, which some people may find disturbing. Some scenes are very sad and dark, you feel for the main character when his friend floats away. Very good movie, great if you can handle dark and intense scenes. Do NOT watch on a plane!
Parent of a 10 year old Written byMoe-Z-Mom February 13, 2014

Hopefull

I watched Castaway with my 10-year-old son and we were both completely engaged. I had no squirmish moments where I thought that he should leave the room and my son most enjoyed the survival scenes on the island. However, the movie could easily be a FedEx commercial. Parts of the movie also seemed completely contrived, such as the dialogue the main character, Chuck, has with his friend after he is rescued. Chuck talks about his lack of control on the island, how he could not even succeed at suicide and all he could do is keep "breathing". (Reminiscent of the dialogue Tom Hanks has with a friend in Sleepless in Seattle where he talks about how after his wife died "all he could do is breath in and out.") In Castaway, Chuck also talks about how "you never know what the tide is going to bring in." (Reminiscent of the famous Forest Gump line "life is like a box of chocolates . . .") Nonetheless, the last scene where Chuck is at a crossroad not knowing which way to go next, while contrived, was a positive and hopeful ending. I am not sure that my son got all the subtleties of this last scene but he understood that it was a happy ending.
Kid, 10 years old February 13, 2014

Cast Away

This is a very good movie with some intense scenes most will think it is sad but should be fine for at least age ten but you know your kids so if you think your kid may think it is to violent or scary watch it first or watch it with them and also just saying that this is a very long movie but will never make you bored.