All member reviews for Castle in the Sky

Exciting, all-ages anime airborne fantasy epic.

Kid, 12 years old October 27, 2010

I could pump my fist in the air for how much i love this film.

this is my favorite movie of all time. i'm talking about the original japanese version, not the awful english dub (points thumb down.). honestly, disney? you messed up the whole thing. anyways, the story is great, the music is great, the role models are great, it's all great. i think this is for ages 9+, just because there's a lot of gunfighting, and people do get shot, but never killed. thre's a lot of parts of this film that just make you feel all lovely inside. if your'e a big fan of anime, or even if your'e not, go see this film. trust me, it's for your own good.
Kid, 12 years old March 13, 2010

a beatifully made movie.

When i first watched this movie when i was about 8 i really liked and i still really do. But both me and my parent's where very surprised about how vilont it was. I'm also surprised common sense thinks this movie is iffy for 6! are u joking?! A 6 year old would be scared and have nightmares! All the vilonce includes: Killing, gun shooting and much more. Also kids fall from very high heights and almost are killed several time by gun, exploseves, and pirates. There is also a very intense scene where the main characters uncle holds up a gun and shoots of her pigtails and almost her ears. The up side to all of this is it has good messages and rolemodels. Such as Sheta and Potsu. Sheta is a very courages girl who is about 10 or 11 years old. Who will stop at nothing to follow her dreams, be free, and help a person or thing in need. Also Potsu risks his life many times to save his friend sheta's. The positive messages of this movie is: Be carful wherever you go, and sometimes you must put your friends before yourself so everything can work out in the end. I recomend this to all kids 9 and up!
Kid, 11 years old May 9, 2010

You'l enjoy this movie!

This Movie Is Awesome!!!!!!! I own this movie on DVD and I've watched it a million times. I love the beautiful animation. I recommend you watch this movie. Trust me you'll love it!
Parent of a 10 year old Written bywhitt105 February 7, 2012

Waste of time. Don't bother with Disney version.

Interesting beginning then downhill from there. It's violent and bizarre. My 10 yr. old daughter thought it was a waste of time as well- we barely finished it. Never seen original version...
Teen, 14 years old Written bymathgirlie June 13, 2011

Somewhat violent, but nothing major

As CSM said above, there is LOADS of shooting, gun fire, nuclear bombs, etc. However, this story is sweet and innocent, portraying a girl who fell from an airship and survived (who is the long-lost princess of a ledgendary "Castle in the Sky"), and a boy who has always longed to find the castle and prove that his father wasn't wrong in saying that it existed. On a side note, the fact that Sheeta constantly needed rescuing annoyed me, but by the end I had forgotten about it; this truly is a sweet movie that everyone needs to see. Heck, EVERY Miyazaki film needs to be seen.
Parent of a 10 year old Written bysaftyj101 May 12, 2010

d

d
Kid, 9 years old March 17, 2010

Parent of a 9 and 11 year old Written byP-Patch Mom January 3, 2010

very violent--beware!

miyazaki's movies for younger children (totoro, ponyo, kiki's delivery service) have been huge favorites and my kids enjoyed this film as well. BUT it was startlingly violent--swarming armies, explosions, gunfire, people falling and almost falling to certain death...my kids both spent large parts of the movie biting their nails and cringing. the beautiful animation and lovely musical score were just not worth all the violence for our family.
Kid, 12 years old February 9, 2013

Another Masterpiece From Myazaki

Hayao Myazaki is one of the greatest directors of all time. All his movies are great. This one is my new 2nd favorite movie he's directed. The scene at the end was powerful. The most kid friendly movie he's directed is My Neighbor Totoro. Nausicca of the Valley of the wind is the most violent. This is the 2nd most violent. But there are good role models and messages though.
Kid, 10 years old October 9, 2012

VIOLENT!!!!!

very violent! please be careful watching this if you are under 8 i would say...
Teen, 15 years old Written byevolinag May 29, 2012

Beautiful anime masterpiece is too intense for younger viewers. Tweens and up.

"Castle in the Sky" is an epic fantasy anime by acclaimed director/writer Hayao Miyazaki. Like always, we have great visuals and an excellent plot. We have a boy that does everything to prove his father did not lie, a girlfalling from the sky, a group of pirates and a mysterious villain of whom we don't know his identity. In the middle of the story is Laputa, a catle in the sky. The movie has a great soundtrack that fits perfectly with the striking pictures we see. We have some messages, too: fight for what you believe in. Everyone needs Planet Earth and without it we could not live. Also, the seemingly tough pirates turn into friendly people when coming close to the two children. Overall, a truly magical anime masterpiece that should be seen by everyone. The movie, however, is intense and can be too much for younger audiences Throughout the movie there are scenes of shootings, that are more or less intense, depending on the situation. Near the ending, a man threatens a young girl with a gun andpartly shoots off her hair (very intense). Also, near the ending, we see many apocalyptic images that can be too much for younger viewers. After all, this is not the worst movie, though. It is not nearly as violent as "Princess Mononoke", but is more brutal than "Howl's Moving Castle". But tweens and up can handle it.
Teen, 16 years old Written bydavidguitar15..... November 13, 2010

perfect for everyone

this heartwarming tale is like the best anime ive seen...other then naruto...but i really like this movie....the music makes me want to cry and the story is awesome....there is some mild volence but its just gun fire and a robot getting killed....and the orphan boy gets nicked on the cheek by a speeding bullet but other then that its a movie for everyone.
Kid, 11 years old October 16, 2010

It's good for younger children, they would definietly love it but for older kids, it might be kinda boring. Still overall good movie, not exactly violent but still OK.
Teen, 13 years old Written byshojofreak220 May 31, 2010

LOVE IT!!!!

This is a GREAT movie I got it at Chinatown, so it was all in Japanese, but we managed to get the sub on and loved it. NOT VIOLENT AT ALL!!! Best Miyazaki film I've seen!
Teen, 13 years old Written bypoe-ette November 26, 2011

SO FUNNY! XD

THREE CHEERS FOR THE PIRATES! I LAUGHED SO HARD I FELL ON MY FACE! Ahem.. quote "DON'T CALL ME MOM! "YES MOM!" and.... "Ooooh she's making dessert?" "I like chocalate cake!" "Cupcakes!" "mMMMmm"
Kid, 12 years old August 22, 2010

It is not violent at all for a 12 year old and up but for younger kids they may be scared with all the gun shooting. Sheeta the main character gets her braids shot off by Muska (who may be frightening to very little kids). They get hit by a few gunshots. I would say a very young kid such as 5+ could watch it with there parents. Some people die but it does'nt show them dieing it just shows them falling off of the floating island of Laputa. In the end when Pazu and Sheeta say the destruction spell Muska dies while Sheeta and Pazu are saved by the tree. Otherwise those things it is a wonderful movie and my favorite Hayao Miyazaki movie. It is filled with Adventure, trust, violence, action and adventure. This is a must see! Sheeta and Pazu are very mature and excellent role models!
Kid, 11 years old July 5, 2010

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THIS WAS MY FAVORITE MOVIE WHEN I WAS LITTLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! EVERY KID 5+ SHOULD SEE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Teen, 16 years old Written byBlueDragonMaster98 May 31, 2010

No complaints

I love it. There's violence and death. The movie is very heartfelt that you forget about all of its faults. It's a very good movie. Most of the people aren't good role models, but Pazu and Sheeta care about each other, and always look out for each other.
Parent of a 7, 8, and 10 year old Written bysmille May 30, 2010
Parent of a 3 and 6 year old Written byonceacarpenter May 18, 2010

fun and interesting

This is a movie we all enjoy, and it is my 6-yr-old's favorite. There is some violence, and some shananigans, but I like the message that you have to get to know a person to really know them. Fun and interesting.