All member reviews for Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (2005)

Bright, spirited, and edgy version of Willy Wonka.

Teen, 16 years old Written byhamstergurl09 February 7, 2011

Doesn't Beat the Original

Eh, it was alright. I don't think it was as good as the 1970s version. In this one, Willy Wonka was strange. Well, I mean, the character is supposed to be eccentric, but this depiction mildly creeped me out. Gene Wilder is a tough act to follow.
Adult Written bybethlthomson April 9, 2008

i laughed

tHIS MOVIE IS SOOOOOOOOOO FUNNY! KIDS LOVED IT.
Kid, 11 years old January 7, 2011

I liked it... I mean I didn't absolutely love but I liked it. The kids in the movie (other than Charlie) are spoiled little brats. I put the movie iffy for 7+ since it's pretty creepy (I saw it when I was around 6 or 7 and it creeped me out a little.) Charlie's a great role model since he puts his family first and he's a really sweet kid! Pretty much all the scenes that include the Bucket family send out good messages. I don't mind this movie it's just not the best.
Kid, 9 years old January 1, 2014

Okay movie

First time I watched this movie, I liked it but since I watched this movie so many times, it's not that great anymore.
Teen, 15 years old Written byhomealonefan123 December 17, 2011

awesome movie. perfect for the whole family

this is a movie for the whole family. but some intense scenes. this movie would be awesome in 3D. if you love adventure, awesome effects and chocolate then show this movie to your whole family.
Teen, 15 years old Written byDominicboo1 April 22, 2011

Tim's Chocolately Twist to a Classic Is Bittersweet

I'll say it now. I love Tim Burton, but this movie doesn't work for me. I can't talk about this film without talking about the original. In the original we have a Willy Wonka that's eccentric yet at the same time very loveable. Johnny Depp tries to make a spin on it(Michael Jackson like as my mother says but I digress) and it doesn't pay off. This Wonka comes across as weird in a bad way, creepy, and often times fairly rude to the kids. Charlie doesn't quite fit the bill either. He seems like a "perfect" kid too much. Sure the one in the original was too, but he delievered each line with such sincerity that he becomes a legitmiate convincing good kid. Contrarwise the other kids come across as a bit too nasty. In the movie they were your average poorly behaved kids, but now it's exaggerated. I know that's what Roald Dahl does, but that's what made the book and original movie work! We have the Trunchbull in Matilda, and the Aunts in James and the Giant Peach, but here ..it somehow just doesn't work. However there certainly are things that work for this movie. The visual effects are impressive as they should be with the idea of moderninzing the story, but that loses some timeless appeal that the original had. The scenes with the Grandparents are very entertaining and this actor portrays the feeble old man with a heart of gold even better than Jack Albertson. The movie didnt' work totally for me, but you should see for yourself.
Kid, 11 years old April 4, 2011

Some drinking

good movie but one character drinking chocolate from the river in one scene.
Teen, 13 years old Written byLoveOwenWilson September 13, 2010

Kids

Love it love it love it LOVE love love IT!!! Johnny Depp is a true versatile artist...he plays the part of eccentric mr.Wonka so well that one would think he was born for the role....it's a cute movie and has funny bits too for all kids and their parents!!!
Teen, 14 years old Written bySilverSnake September 9, 2010

Oh Johnny Depp, you never seise to cause chaos...

It was very good, and very very VERY strange. I like the origional and this one equally. Here's the deal: If you grew up watching the first one, you may have some angry opinions on this film, which is understandable. Charlie is the poorest of the group that enters Willy Wonka's factory, and he actually is hardly noticed, but when he speaks up its a smart and interesting opinion, which catches Wonka's eye. The rest, well Wonka think are annoying little brats and he tries to hold in his rude comments (though quite afew slip out) I thought it was funny actually. The other kids ARE brats, but its all in humar, and they will get just as they deserve (none die of course, that would be unsanitary!) Its something I'd allow my kids to watch, I guess the word "hell" slipped through my ears when I saw this though. Its colorful and funny though, so I'm almost pretty a little bit sure your kids may love it. And it has some of my favorite actors! (Johnny Depp, AnnaSophia Rob, Helena Bonham Carter, and the boy that played Charlie who's name I forgot) I'll put down "Bad Language" down for the "h" word, and bad role models and messages for the constant candy eating and rude kids, for GOOD messages, Charlie is good and cares about his family, and Wonka's dad insisted that candy would be bad for his teeth, and the bratty kids end up getting a little song played in their honor when they are stuck in an unrulely situation.
Teen, 13 years old Written bybkid August 6, 2010

"it's just weird!"

There is a use of "hell". There is a message of not to be spoiled in any way, and that family is nothing to abandon. Other than that, the movie is much weirder than the original.
Kid, 12 years old March 22, 2010

Charlie in the Chocolate Factory: A Great Movie

This movie is awesome. This movie goes more strictly by the book than its predecessor except for going off a tangent about Willy's life as a child. Johnny Depp is awesome as always and extremely strange. This movie gives a lot of positive messages about bad behavior and about living up to your full potential. The main message in this movie is to always stand beside your family no matter what they're going through. This is shown through Willy going back to his father and Charlie refusing to live in the Chocolate Factory without his family. There are also money problems in Charlie's family and Charlie's thoughts about giving up the Golden Ticket for money should spawn kids into thinking about the empathy in life.
Kid, 11 years old March 20, 2010

good for ages 6+

this movie is pretty god and 100% better than the old one. the children are all bratty except charlie but the bad kids get it in the end the message from the movie is "don't be a brat or you'll get it!!
Parent of a 2 year old Written bylola618 January 18, 2010

good for Little Kids and up

It is a fairly Great movie and really fun. It is obvious that they're trying to get you to buy a candy bar but who cares. It teaches you to follow your dreams like willy wonka. it MAY be a tad scary for sensitive young tots. Its funny and heartwarming and everything you need to make magic in a movie. A++++!
Adult Written byHeavens29 April 9, 2008

I loved it

I thought the movie was super cool and my kids loved it.
Parent of a 7 and 10 year old Written bymathmom April 9, 2008

A very different remake

Although my kids liked this one better, I'm still a fan of the Gene Wilder version. (My kids 5 and 7, site the songs and the scenes of Oompa Loompa land as the cooler parts. Johnny Depp's Willy Wonka (which I was told was going to be closer to the book's character) was a demented, distorted take on the "Candy Man" that those of my generation loved. I do not think that Roald Dahl meant for Willy Wonka to be a paranoid, narcisstic, weird, child hater. What was up with the burning dolls entrance? Too strange. It was my impression that Tim Burton was remaking this to be truer to the book (and the squirrel scene was great!), but in the end it was a much more surreal and disturbing version of the story for me.
Adult Written bylouisa1 February 20, 2015

bad family movie, often dull.

not only is this movie often dull and never lives up to the original, but also: johnny depp is awesome but in this roll he is really annoying and unlikeable) the man character charlie is too nice and not like what a kid is, (i thought the first one was great at showing that point) and overall every character was unlikable. there are a few scenes that may scare little kids like the fate of all the child characters (except charlie) but showing how unlikeable they are, you probably won't care, and to top it all off there are a few mentions of the 'H' word.
Teen, 17 years old Written byChristopherGraham January 18, 2015

"Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" by Christopher Graham

I thought that this film was very sweet and very bright to its source material with a couple of surprises of its own. The performances by the younger kids was just right, the direction was superb, the visuals were so mystical, and the storyline was just right to the classic book itself. The only criticism I have of this movie is that Johnny Depp's performance as Willy Wonka was not one of his best performances I have seen with him. He doesn't make a compelling and mysterious Willy Wonka, his character is mean-spirited, he looks like half Shirley Temple and half Carol Burnett, and he looks like a woman. Overall, I thought that this film was very exhilarating and true to its purpose and source material of the book and that it will entertain many people of any age. Kids and 8 year olds are meant to see this movie, if they are fans of the book and 1971 movie version, and even adults can see this movie as well for its imagination and fun purpose. Younger kids under 8 years old are probably not meant to see this movie for its quirky situations, action, and mild language.
Kid, 12 years old January 18, 2015

OK kids movie, not as good as the original

There's no option for 'too much horror' but if there was that's what this would have. It's not actually scary, but for a 3 year old it's creepy. A boy is sucked up a tube and taken away, a girl turns blue and becomes a huge blueberry and is rolled away, a girl is pushed down a shoot to an incenerator, and a boy is shrunk to microscopic size. All the kids survive however. One use of retard is the worst language you'll hear, nothing else really. Just keep in mind it's a dark Tim Burton movie.
Kid, 11 years old January 12, 2015

one of the best movies of all time!!

alluring fun and sweet movie overtelling the classic tale. staring the outstanding Johnny Depp. a must watch for the whole family. eat chocolate and let yourself relax in a swirl of candy while watching Charlie and the chocolate factory
Teen, 14 years old Written byJimmy brew September 16, 2014

Sweet,adorable and humorous remake has good messages

My rating:PG-13 for thematic elements,Crude humor,language and drug references