All member reviews for Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (2005)

Bright, spirited, and edgy version of Willy Wonka.

Adult Written by413804 February 4, 2012

Terrific

This is a great remake and stays very close to the book. After watching this terrific film, kids will want to read the book. Johnny Depp is a pretty disturbing Willy Wonka.
Teen, 15 years old Written byhomealonefan123 December 17, 2011

awesome movie. perfect for the whole family

this is a movie for the whole family. but some intense scenes. this movie would be awesome in 3D. if you love adventure, awesome effects and chocolate then show this movie to your whole family.
Teen, 15 years old Written byDominicboo1 April 22, 2011

Tim's Chocolately Twist to a Classic Is Bittersweet

I'll say it now. I love Tim Burton, but this movie doesn't work for me. I can't talk about this film without talking about the original. In the original we have a Willy Wonka that's eccentric yet at the same time very loveable. Johnny Depp tries to make a spin on it(Michael Jackson like as my mother says but I digress) and it doesn't pay off. This Wonka comes across as weird in a bad way, creepy, and often times fairly rude to the kids. Charlie doesn't quite fit the bill either. He seems like a "perfect" kid too much. Sure the one in the original was too, but he delievered each line with such sincerity that he becomes a legitmiate convincing good kid. Contrarwise the other kids come across as a bit too nasty. In the movie they were your average poorly behaved kids, but now it's exaggerated. I know that's what Roald Dahl does, but that's what made the book and original movie work! We have the Trunchbull in Matilda, and the Aunts in James and the Giant Peach, but here ..it somehow just doesn't work. However there certainly are things that work for this movie. The visual effects are impressive as they should be with the idea of moderninzing the story, but that loses some timeless appeal that the original had. The scenes with the Grandparents are very entertaining and this actor portrays the feeble old man with a heart of gold even better than Jack Albertson. The movie didnt' work totally for me, but you should see for yourself.
Teen, 13 years old Written byLoveOwenWilson September 13, 2010

Kids

Love it love it love it LOVE love love IT!!! Johnny Depp is a true versatile artist...he plays the part of eccentric mr.Wonka so well that one would think he was born for the role....it's a cute movie and has funny bits too for all kids and their parents!!!
Teen, 13 years old Written bybkid August 6, 2010

"it's just weird!"

There is a use of "hell". There is a message of not to be spoiled in any way, and that family is nothing to abandon. Other than that, the movie is much weirder than the original.
Kid, 12 years old December 12, 2009

A-OK

this movie isnt very good or fantastic but it is not awful or bad. I just say it's a fine movie and people who like movies about about adventure should probably try watching it and most of those people probably wont find themselves dissapointed.
Parent of a 5 and 8 year old Written bybettydog May 13, 2009
Watch this with your kids. If they are old enough to read the book, they are old enough to watch the movie. My daughter is a huge Roald Dahl fan and thought the movie was entertaining.
Adult Written bylindsey12345 April 4, 2009

what a surprise

theres one use of h-l what a surprise
Adult Written bydenmarkriot April 9, 2008

Like a giant playground--lots of fun

This movie is almost a perfect replica of Roald Dahl's original book. People call this one dark in relation to the original, but frankly I think it's the other way around. Gene Wilder hurtling through a scary tunnel of crawling bugs...just not my thing. There was some stuff added that wasn't in the original book, but it matches the flavor and tone of the book. This movie is colorful, hilarious, and you come out of it wanting to dance. Very uplifting. Many people may be disturbed by the way the children are treated (I was), but it's true to Dahl's style--the nasty children/people are always punished, the good ones always rewarded. (Check out Matilda, The BFG, and many others.) I appreciate that the story values the right things, like unselfishness and kindness and family. The theme of family life was particularly fantastic in this world of quickly degrading family life. The way that Wonka learns that family is what matters most will be especially meaningful and useful for teaching smaller children. Overall definitely worth seeing at least once for kids and adults--weird but lovely.
Adult Written byjillhipps April 9, 2008

Where are my green haired oompa-loompas?

While I thoroughly enjoyed the new version, I missed the nostalgia, the flaws and the dull colors of the old version. Worth seeing but should be followed by a screening of the original.
Adult Written byjoeysmom April 9, 2008

A Great Remake

We took our two kids to see "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" last night. My husband was dead set against it since "Willy Wonka" was one of his favorite movies as a child, and a remake could only be sacreligious. He decided to go at the last minute, and I can honestly tell you, he was very happy that he did. The movie had a lot of very funny moments in it, not just for the kids, but for adults as well. I thoroughly enjoyed watching it, and comparing notes against the original later. The oompa-loompas were hysterical. Johnny Depp was amazing. The boy who played Charlie Bucket was terrific. The squirrels were extremely funny. Tim Burton did a wonderful job bringing this story to life. When they say "eye candy", they're not kidding...
Teen, 13 years old Written byn3v3r April 9, 2008

It was pretty good

It was good, but not the best movie I've ever seen. I liked it and thought it was funny.
Teen, 16 years old Written byolympicmascots September 16, 2016

Good movie with some scary scenes.

This movie is good. I didn't agree that this is a dark movie. There are some intense scenes but they're not graphic. The movie is sort of like an ad for Willy Wonka candy.
Kid, 12 years old July 11, 2016

Very creepy, especially for little kids

I've read the book and seen the other movie, but this one was very dark, creepy, and it seemed pretty strange. I don't think this is what Roald Dahl had in mind while writing this book.
Kid, 9 years old July 9, 2016

It`s Okay....

I couldn`t tell it was Johnny Depp as Willy Wonka. First of all, no swearing and no drinking, drugs or smoking or sex. The only scene that may not be appropriate depending on the kid is that these puppets sing and they burn up after fireworks catch the puppets on fire. There are some dark scenes when Willy has flashbacks about his childhood. He leaves home, his dad throws his earned candy from Halloween into a fire pit and he hasn`t seen his dad since then.
Kid, 11 years old April 11, 2016

Good, but creepy.

This movie was quite well done, but really creepy. Maybe it's just me, but I was screaming for almost half the movie. The part where the dolls burn up and melt just freaked me out. However, charlie is a positive role model, and not a brat like the other children. I think kids 8 and up would enjoy it, but younger children might get frightened at times.
Teen, 15 years old Written byrandombookworm April 9, 2016

Deserves a lot more credit!

Okay, I feel like most of the reviews I've read didn't give this show the credit it deserves. First of all, it seems appropriate enough for a kid at any age, but perhaps kids who are above 10 are more likely to understand and appreciate the witty lines and slightly dark themes. Sure, the spoiled kids get punished, but they're nothing too gruesome. Also, I don't understand what people dislike about how Willy Wonka was portrayed. Wonka's weirdness and slight creepiness perfectly suited his character, and it's personally what I think gave him his mysterious-legendary-factory-owner vibe, which is totally awesome. The only disappointing thing in the movie is that Charlie wasn't actually a well-developed character. He's a good role model, but he isn't all that lovable. Still, in the end, he got the message through: that family is something precious and irreplaceable.
Teen, 16 years old Written byRoanstone April 3, 2016

Good for children and up

The movie itself is a neat take on the book and previous film adaption with Gene Wilder, and it's sure to deliver many laughs and possibly a craving for chocolate. Johnny Depp depicts a wonderful Willy Wonka, in my opinion, and he does a fabulous job bringing out the eccentric and slightly "off" character. Some of the scenes are quite vivid and entertaining, although I remember, even as a kid, that it was hard to keep my attention during some of the scenes (particularly ones during the beginning and end.) I'd say it's a fun family film (with a bit of edge) that will most likely entertain younger kids and adults.
Teen, 13 years old Written byILoveCSM March 21, 2016

This is a great remake!

This movie is a really good remake/reboot movie of the book. Johnny Depp delivers a great performance as Willy Wonka. The shouldonly thing to worry about is some scary images, and there are some. But overall, this is a great movie for kids, because of the humorous aspects. If your child is 10 and up, then they should be able to handle it.
Teen, 16 years old Written bybronte2121 November 30, 2015
This has got to be the best movie made ever in the whole entire world. I absouloytly love it to pieecs!