All member reviews for Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (2005)

Bright, spirited, and edgy version of Willy Wonka.

Teen, 13 years old Written byLoveOwenWilson September 13, 2010

Kids

Love it love it love it LOVE love love IT!!! Johnny Depp is a true versatile artist...he plays the part of eccentric mr.Wonka so well that one would think he was born for the role....it's a cute movie and has funny bits too for all kids and their parents!!!
Teen, 13 years old Written bybkid August 6, 2010

"it's just weird!"

There is a use of "hell". There is a message of not to be spoiled in any way, and that family is nothing to abandon. Other than that, the movie is much weirder than the original.
Kid, 12 years old December 12, 2009

A-OK

this movie isnt very good or fantastic but it is not awful or bad. I just say it's a fine movie and people who like movies about about adventure should probably try watching it and most of those people probably wont find themselves dissapointed.
Adult Written bylindsey12345 April 4, 2009

what a surprise

theres one use of h-l what a surprise
Adult Written byCSM Screen Name... April 9, 2008

Name calling is inapproaite!!

In this day and age, with as many eyes and ears this movie passes to get to the big screen I find it very unappriate to have such politically incorrect name calling. AS a mother of a child with Down Syndrome, I do not like movies with such name calling as RETARD. To me its no different than racial slurs or religious slander.
Teen, 16 years old Written byolympicmascots September 16, 2016

Good movie with some scary scenes.

This movie is good. I didn't agree that this is a dark movie. There are some intense scenes but they're not graphic. The movie is sort of like an ad for Willy Wonka candy.
Kid, 12 years old July 11, 2016

Very creepy, especially for little kids

I've read the book and seen the other movie, but this one was very dark, creepy, and it seemed pretty strange. I don't think this is what Roald Dahl had in mind while writing this book.
Kid, 9 years old July 9, 2016

It`s Okay....

I couldn`t tell it was Johnny Depp as Willy Wonka. First of all, no swearing and no drinking, drugs or smoking or sex. The only scene that may not be appropriate depending on the kid is that these puppets sing and they burn up after fireworks catch the puppets on fire. There are some dark scenes when Willy has flashbacks about his childhood. He leaves home, his dad throws his earned candy from Halloween into a fire pit and he hasn`t seen his dad since then.
Kid, 11 years old April 11, 2016

Good, but creepy.

This movie was quite well done, but really creepy. Maybe it's just me, but I was screaming for almost half the movie. The part where the dolls burn up and melt just freaked me out. However, charlie is a positive role model, and not a brat like the other children. I think kids 8 and up would enjoy it, but younger children might get frightened at times.
Teen, 15 years old Written byrandombookworm April 9, 2016

Deserves a lot more credit!

Okay, I feel like most of the reviews I've read didn't give this show the credit it deserves. First of all, it seems appropriate enough for a kid at any age, but perhaps kids who are above 10 are more likely to understand and appreciate the witty lines and slightly dark themes. Sure, the spoiled kids get punished, but they're nothing too gruesome. Also, I don't understand what people dislike about how Willy Wonka was portrayed. Wonka's weirdness and slight creepiness perfectly suited his character, and it's personally what I think gave him his mysterious-legendary-factory-owner vibe, which is totally awesome. The only disappointing thing in the movie is that Charlie wasn't actually a well-developed character. He's a good role model, but he isn't all that lovable. Still, in the end, he got the message through: that family is something precious and irreplaceable.
Teen, 16 years old Written byRoanstone April 3, 2016

Good for children and up

The movie itself is a neat take on the book and previous film adaption with Gene Wilder, and it's sure to deliver many laughs and possibly a craving for chocolate. Johnny Depp depicts a wonderful Willy Wonka, in my opinion, and he does a fabulous job bringing out the eccentric and slightly "off" character. Some of the scenes are quite vivid and entertaining, although I remember, even as a kid, that it was hard to keep my attention during some of the scenes (particularly ones during the beginning and end.) I'd say it's a fun family film (with a bit of edge) that will most likely entertain younger kids and adults.
Teen, 13 years old Written byILoveCSM March 21, 2016

This is a great remake!

This movie is a really good remake/reboot movie of the book. Johnny Depp delivers a great performance as Willy Wonka. The shouldonly thing to worry about is some scary images, and there are some. But overall, this is a great movie for kids, because of the humorous aspects. If your child is 10 and up, then they should be able to handle it.
Teen, 16 years old Written bybronte2121 November 30, 2015
This has got to be the best movie made ever in the whole entire world. I absouloytly love it to pieecs!
Teen, 15 years old Written byMollyLappe November 6, 2015

Why this movie is not appropriate for children under 8

This movie is not appropriate for children under 8 because Mike Teavee yelled "DIE! DIE! DIE!" while playing a video game. When I was in kindergarten i was saying it. My parents should not have let me see it until i was 8.
Teen, 15 years old Written bykyleReeselives October 9, 2015

Great job Tim

This movie does have dysfunctional families who have members that are selfish and apathetic. However, this movie shows more what families shouldn't be like as the bad families have bad things happen to them because of their poor choices. Charlie on the other hand is selfless and cares about his family while they too care about him, and he ends up getting fortune. In the end, Willy Wonka, though often non-acceptant at the importance of family learns of the importance and ends up making amends with his own father who he had a bad past with. In other words, it shows that good is rewarded greatly while bad is punished, and it shows that even a bad past could be changed to a great future. This is a great show with great messages, and is still one of my favorite Tim Burton movies to date.
Kid, 7 years old July 13, 2015

This Movie was terrible.

The incidents in this movie are Coo-Coo! Do not see this movie!!!!
Adult Written bylouisa1 February 20, 2015

bad family movie, often dull.

not only is this movie often dull and never lives up to the original, but also: johnny depp is awesome but in this roll he is really annoying and unlikeable) the man character charlie is too nice and not like what a kid is, (i thought the first one was great at showing that point) and overall every character was unlikable. there are a few scenes that may scare little kids like the fate of all the child characters (except charlie) but showing how unlikeable they are, you probably won't care, and to top it all off there are a few mentions of the 'H' word.
Kid, 12 years old January 18, 2015

OK kids movie, not as good as the original

There's no option for 'too much horror' but if there was that's what this would have. It's not actually scary, but for a 3 year old it's creepy. A boy is sucked up a tube and taken away, a girl turns blue and becomes a huge blueberry and is rolled away, a girl is pushed down a shoot to an incenerator, and a boy is shrunk to microscopic size. All the kids survive however. One use of retard is the worst language you'll hear, nothing else really. Just keep in mind it's a dark Tim Burton movie.
Kid, 11 years old January 12, 2015

one of the best movies of all time!!

alluring fun and sweet movie overtelling the classic tale. staring the outstanding Johnny Depp. a must watch for the whole family. eat chocolate and let yourself relax in a swirl of candy while watching Charlie and the chocolate factory
Kid, 12 years old June 8, 2014

Love it

It might not surpass the original, but it was still great. The acting, well done!