All member reviews for Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (2005)

Bright, spirited, and edgy version of Willy Wonka.

Teen, 15 years old Written bysamr45 October 3, 2013

Great family fun

Great film for all the family. However, some scenes of moderate peril could be upsetting or distressing to younger children. Carries a very strong positive message that should be shared.
Kid, 8 years old August 10, 2013

love iit

good
Teen, 16 years old Written bysillygoose77 April 18, 2013

Not as Scrumdiddlyumptious

Before I start, I don't want to offend anyone who likes this version. If you don't want to read this due to your enjoyment of this over the original, go ahead. However, in my opinion, the old one is much better Educational Content: It's about on the same page as the original here. Mainly, the only thing educational about this is that it might inspire kids to read the book. Positive Messages: The same morals that the original depicted, mainly taught by the Oompa-Loompas are still depicted. There is also the reoccurence of good triumphing evil(at least as far as Charlie is concerned this time.) However, the additional messages about how appearances are deceiving and how crazy competition can truly be are missing. The movie's half-hearted attempts at showing what happens is only a smidgen of how serious the old film was about conveying this Role Models: Overall, Charlie, his family, and Grandpa Joe, are just as kind and hard-working as they're usually portrayed. Wonka, however, has lost what made him so cool in the first place. Here, he absolutely hates children and families, mainly due to a cliche' backstory about his childhood. This is a complete and utter betrayal of who the character is supposed to be. Wonka should be portrayed the way he was before, as a good man who did care about others, but was as sly as a fox. This Wonka, however, is the main reason i'm disappointed in this adaptation. Violence: If you were scared by the first film's tunnel scene, be prepared to frightened to death. The scenes from the original are heightened and made edgier, due mainly to advances in special effects. One song that starts off fun and enjoyable quickly becomes a flammable mess... literally. Sexual Content: Some mild mention of chocolate's athrodesiac qualities. Language:Not an Issue Consumerism:Wonka's products are the only thing shown Alcohol:Not an issue Overall, Wonka pretty much ends up ruining a movie that could have been just as good as the original. However, this version and the old one are subject to taste, so whichever version you prefer is your choice alone.
Adult Written byJEDI micah March 19, 2013

Better than the original!

Although I am not a Johnny Depp fan, this is a wonderfully made movie based on a classic! With improved special effects, good acting, lovely music, and above all, yummy-looking candy, there's no doubt that kids will find this movie better than the original!
Kid, 10 years old February 14, 2013

it's really good

i thought it was better than the first. willy wonka looked cooler, the blueberry scene was awsome. but there are some crude remarks.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySomeoneYouDon'tKnow August 30, 2012

Phenomenol Burton film is much better than the original

This is my second favorite Tim Burton movie, after his remake of Planet of the Apes, and my second favorite Johnny Depp movie, after Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is dark, edgy, and much more satisfying than the original film, Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. The visuals are spot on, as is Depp's performance, and the best part, of course, is that the songs are only sung by the Oompa-Loompas, making it more realistic, and the songs that are sung are much more memorable and MUCH less annoying than the ones in the original. All the kids are great, fitting nicely into the roles of modern stereotypes. It also reassured me how we know that the naughty kids survive, whereas in the original their fates are uncertain, which really bothered me. This film's only flaw in my opinion is the undeveloped Charlie character, who I really didn't like because he seemed to be an emblem of goodness rather than a real kid, which was unrealistic. But everything else is great. Most people will prefer the innocence, charm, and simplicity of the original, but for me, this visually appealing, dark, and twisted remake is much better.
Kid, 11 years old August 18, 2012

OK

ok movie. not bad, but ok.
Kid, 12 years old August 17, 2012

Creepy

This movie is creepy and actually made me scared when I first watched it. The performance by Johnny Depp is just plain creepy. If you want to watch a willy wonka movie, watch the old one which is fun and good for the whole family. I actually really enjoyed the old movie and I'm 12 years old, I didn't find it cheesy or stupid or anything. Watch the old movie.
Kid, 7 years old August 15, 2012

A good movie for 5 and up

Kid, 11 years old July 18, 2012

The Show Away

I think it is so entertaning even when their a bit rude thats what makes it fun!
Educator and Parent Written bychristian-witness June 28, 2012

awesome

Teen, 15 years old Written byOfficial Critic May 14, 2012

Good and magical Johnny Depp film

A good movie for kids. Johnny Depp portrays Willi Wonka greatly. The old version, Willi Wonka and the Chocolate Factory is just as good as this one, so if you enjoyed one of them, you should definitely watch the other.
Parent Written byJLFM May 13, 2012

There's nothing objective here, but it's a little dark, and a little twisted, but I loved it anyway

Teen, 14 years old Written byEricCarrRulez April 28, 2012

Read The Review ~

Whimsical and Wonderful! : )
Teen, 16 years old Written byJoseph Rock February 28, 2012

Awesome stuff!

I'm pretty much in with the popularity of this movie.It is bright,it is colorful,and it is funny! The voice acting isn't bad either.This movie is GREAT!
Kid, 10 years old January 25, 2012

scaryer then the first one

i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-i say this is 4/5 because this version is not as good as the other version
Kid, 11 years old January 3, 2012

Edgey but good

Tim Burton does it again! A great take on the book, edgey but good.
Kid, 11 years old December 30, 2011

I LOVE CHOCOLATE!!!!!!!

i never saw the original, but i love chocolate so i was like, what the heck? so when i saw it on disney channel, i was like, OMG, johnny depp is in this movie so it has to good! and believe it or not, i was so right!!! this is the best movie about chocolate EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! watch it now people!!!!! WATCH IT!!!
Kid, 8 years old December 29, 2011

A+ and D- at times

Quirky.
Teen, 13 years old Written bycrosscountry1357 December 14, 2011

Great Movie for ages six and up!

I loved this movie. Charlie is a great role model, and is always helping his family out. The other children in the movie are not good role models, and mostly only care about themselves. It is a funny movie which is sort of a little dark. For children under six, I wouldn't recommend it, because it may be a little scary. Otherwise I loved the movie and think everyone should watch it.