All member reviews for Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (2005)

Bright, spirited, and edgy version of Willy Wonka.

Teen, 13 years old Written bysoftballchicky_374 April 9, 2008

Good Movie

This remake isn't as good as the original movie but it is good because Johnny Depp makes an awesome Willy Wonka. I recomend this for kids 8-15 or for families to watch together.
Teen, 16 years old Written bysillygoose77 April 18, 2013

Not as Scrumdiddlyumptious

Before I start, I don't want to offend anyone who likes this version. If you don't want to read this due to your enjoyment of this over the original, go ahead. However, in my opinion, the old one is much better Educational Content: It's about on the same page as the original here. Mainly, the only thing educational about this is that it might inspire kids to read the book. Positive Messages: The same morals that the original depicted, mainly taught by the Oompa-Loompas are still depicted. There is also the reoccurence of good triumphing evil(at least as far as Charlie is concerned this time.) However, the additional messages about how appearances are deceiving and how crazy competition can truly be are missing. The movie's half-hearted attempts at showing what happens is only a smidgen of how serious the old film was about conveying this Role Models: Overall, Charlie, his family, and Grandpa Joe, are just as kind and hard-working as they're usually portrayed. Wonka, however, has lost what made him so cool in the first place. Here, he absolutely hates children and families, mainly due to a cliche' backstory about his childhood. This is a complete and utter betrayal of who the character is supposed to be. Wonka should be portrayed the way he was before, as a good man who did care about others, but was as sly as a fox. This Wonka, however, is the main reason i'm disappointed in this adaptation. Violence: If you were scared by the first film's tunnel scene, be prepared to frightened to death. The scenes from the original are heightened and made edgier, due mainly to advances in special effects. One song that starts off fun and enjoyable quickly becomes a flammable mess... literally. Sexual Content: Some mild mention of chocolate's athrodesiac qualities. Language:Not an Issue Consumerism:Wonka's products are the only thing shown Alcohol:Not an issue Overall, Wonka pretty much ends up ruining a movie that could have been just as good as the original. However, this version and the old one are subject to taste, so whichever version you prefer is your choice alone.
Kid, 10 years old February 14, 2013

it's really good

i thought it was better than the first. willy wonka looked cooler, the blueberry scene was awsome. but there are some crude remarks.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySomeoneYouDon'tKnow August 30, 2012

Phenomenol Burton film is much better than the original

This is my second favorite Tim Burton movie, after his remake of Planet of the Apes, and my second favorite Johnny Depp movie, after Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is dark, edgy, and much more satisfying than the original film, Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. The visuals are spot on, as is Depp's performance, and the best part, of course, is that the songs are only sung by the Oompa-Loompas, making it more realistic, and the songs that are sung are much more memorable and MUCH less annoying than the ones in the original. All the kids are great, fitting nicely into the roles of modern stereotypes. It also reassured me how we know that the naughty kids survive, whereas in the original their fates are uncertain, which really bothered me. This film's only flaw in my opinion is the undeveloped Charlie character, who I really didn't like because he seemed to be an emblem of goodness rather than a real kid, which was unrealistic. But everything else is great. Most people will prefer the innocence, charm, and simplicity of the original, but for me, this visually appealing, dark, and twisted remake is much better.
Kid, 11 years old July 18, 2012

The Show Away

I think it is so entertaning even when their a bit rude thats what makes it fun!
Educator and Parent Written bychristian-witness June 28, 2012

awesome

Teen, 15 years old Written byOfficial Critic May 14, 2012

Good and magical Johnny Depp film

A good movie for kids. Johnny Depp portrays Willi Wonka greatly. The old version, Willi Wonka and the Chocolate Factory is just as good as this one, so if you enjoyed one of them, you should definitely watch the other.
Teen, 14 years old Written byEricCarrRulez April 28, 2012

Read The Review ~

Whimsical and Wonderful! : )
Teen, 16 years old Written byJoseph Rock February 28, 2012

Awesome stuff!

I'm pretty much in with the popularity of this movie.It is bright,it is colorful,and it is funny! The voice acting isn't bad either.This movie is GREAT!
Kid, 11 years old January 3, 2012

Edgey but good

Tim Burton does it again! A great take on the book, edgey but good.
Teen, 13 years old Written bycrosscountry1357 December 14, 2011

Great Movie for ages six and up!

I loved this movie. Charlie is a great role model, and is always helping his family out. The other children in the movie are not good role models, and mostly only care about themselves. It is a funny movie which is sort of a little dark. For children under six, I wouldn't recommend it, because it may be a little scary. Otherwise I loved the movie and think everyone should watch it.
Teen, 14 years old Written byKforKitty101 January 3, 2011

Love Tim Burton, but-

I dont like when he reimagines stuff. This was a pretty bad movie. Bad acting, boring story, a horrible Charlie, and THAT STUPID SONG! I guess Johnny Depp did an okay job, but not the best. Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory is much better. D.
Kid, 12 years old December 12, 2009

A-OK

this movie isnt very good or fantastic but it is not awful or bad. I just say it's a fine movie and people who like movies about about adventure should probably try watching it and most of those people probably wont find themselves dissapointed.
Adult Written bysmoothmoves97 December 10, 2009

Not better than the original.

Johnny Depp is CREEPY!!!!!!!!! Anyone agree??? This version was okay, but I saw the 1971 version first, and that will always be the REAL version to me. This was less family-friendly. In the original one, the only really scary part was the psycho boat ride, with the scenes on the walls and the dark tunnel. Now, in this version, it's so much more dark and sinister! This version actually scared me a little... and I'm 14. (Young Wonka's headgear... ugh!) Although the mean, greedy, spoiled kids get punished and stuff. That's good.
Kid, 11 years old November 25, 2009

Parent of a 3, 6, and 7 year old Written byMistyLomas November 10, 2009

Fun for all ages!

My kids watch this and love it! It is not too scary, but interesting enough to hold their attention. There may be some concerns about the dynamics between parents and their kids, but it is not something that you can't explain to your children (even my 3 year old understood that their behavior was unacceptable). Great for family movie night!
Teen, 13 years old Written byBestPicture1996 August 20, 2009

Brilliant to say the least

Depp does a superb if not creepy version of the world's most beloved chocaltier. It's extremely funny and quirky, great for friends and family night!
Teen, 13 years old Written bysugarpink89 January 22, 2009

it was great!

This movie is excellent! I was pleasently surprised by the outcome of this remake and it was extremely funny, imaginative and just over all fun for the entire family!
Teen, 14 years old Written bynintendo_freak_13 April 9, 2008

"Hehe, you're really weird."

That's a line from the movie and that's what i say about it. This is one of the strangest movies I have ever seen! It's hilarious with its own kind of humor. The only thing I don't really like about it is the Oompa Loompa songs, they're sometimes funny, sometimes cheesy. Kids get messed up in the factory but nothing on-screen is offensive. People are also rude.
Adult Written bybrezzyegg April 9, 2008

i think that willy is a bit of a jerk.

all the kids are rude and think that they are better than every one else.