All member reviews for Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (2005)

Bright, spirited, and edgy version of Willy Wonka.

Adult Written bypookie April 9, 2008
Adult Written byjoeysmom April 9, 2008

A Great Remake

We took our two kids to see "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" last night. My husband was dead set against it since "Willy Wonka" was one of his favorite movies as a child, and a remake could only be sacreligious. He decided to go at the last minute, and I can honestly tell you, he was very happy that he did. The movie had a lot of very funny moments in it, not just for the kids, but for adults as well. I thoroughly enjoyed watching it, and comparing notes against the original later. The oompa-loompas were hysterical. Johnny Depp was amazing. The boy who played Charlie Bucket was terrific. The squirrels were extremely funny. Tim Burton did a wonderful job bringing this story to life. When they say "eye candy", they're not kidding...
Teen, 14 years old Written bynintendo_freak_13 April 9, 2008

"Hehe, you're really weird."

That's a line from the movie and that's what i say about it. This is one of the strangest movies I have ever seen! It's hilarious with its own kind of humor. The only thing I don't really like about it is the Oompa Loompa songs, they're sometimes funny, sometimes cheesy. Kids get messed up in the factory but nothing on-screen is offensive. People are also rude.
Adult Written byrhapsody722 April 9, 2008

notas good as first

this movie didn't teach or "lead" any moral lessons like the first did. this movie also wasn't very "fun" to watch-my kids were bored most of the movie. I wouldn't recommend it-it was a strange, weird, slow adaptation of the first.
Adult Written byChristc878 April 9, 2008

Better than I thought

The plot is the same as Willy Wonka. I loved this movie mainly because of Johnny Depp. I loved seeing him play a totally different character than his last movie. At first, you wonder if he's funny. Then his humor grows on you. I guess you will either love him or hate him in this movie.
Adult Written bysuznsax April 9, 2008
Adult Written bybrezzyegg April 9, 2008

i think that willy is a bit of a jerk.

all the kids are rude and think that they are better than every one else.
Adult Written byCSM Screen Name... April 9, 2008

Name calling is inapproaite!!

In this day and age, with as many eyes and ears this movie passes to get to the big screen I find it very unappriate to have such politically incorrect name calling. AS a mother of a child with Down Syndrome, I do not like movies with such name calling as RETARD. To me its no different than racial slurs or religious slander.
Teen, 14 years old Written bybandgeekl April 9, 2008

An awesome "sweet" movie!!!

this is a really good movie. I can see that the message is to do what u r told. The kids disobey and they get punished for it. This is such a cool movie!!!!!! I is very funny!! I hope everyone would get a chance to see it!
Teen, 13 years old Written byCSM Screen Name... April 9, 2008
Teen, 13 years old Written byCSM Screen Name... April 9, 2008

ITS OK

i think that the original film is much better,the flashbacks are not scary, and in my book "hell is not a curse word
Teen, 13 years old Written byn3v3r April 9, 2008

It was pretty good

It was good, but not the best movie I've ever seen. I liked it and thought it was funny.
Teen, 15 years old Written byTnMovieFan2 April 9, 2008

A Good Movie

I liked this movie, I think that it's the perfect movie for the family, but it may be a bit creepy for kids under 6.
Teen, 14 years old Written bykidreviewer April 9, 2008

Good Kid's Movie

I saw this movie with a few of my friends, and all of us had a great time. It was interesting, funny, and just different enough from the original version to still be interesting. Johnny Depp's character was very weird, but he did a good job in the role. The humor with the senial grandmother was a bit cruel, but funny all the same. This is a great movie for any child 6 and older.

Pretty funny.....

I liked it. Plus, hell is not a bad word! I also thought it was slightly dark, but still some light peeking out in the movie. If you HATED the original you'll LOVE this one. I liked the 1st one and the remake. Pretty good, not bad.
Adult Written byCSM Screen Name... April 9, 2008

terrible

7+ if you loved the 1st you will not love it

entertaining !

weird and ofton fast-paced but reflects the humour (and odd-ness) of the original book more than the first film,it also has AMAZING computer effects to transform the 4 children.
Adult Written bychellemomof2 April 9, 2008

Very Good! If you liked the 1st one, you'll love this one!

Up until the moment I entered the theater I was afraid that I wouldn't like it as much as the 1st one, but must say they did a very good job. I liked how they went more into Charlie's family life before finding the Golden Ticket and how they went into Wonka's past to help explain alot. I took my 11 yr old and 2 yr old and they both loved it.
Teen, 14 years old Written byquertydog April 9, 2008

A bit weird but excellent!!!

This film was the highlight of my summer movies--with the exception of Star Wars III @ midnight! It had lots of stuff from the book, it wasn't (in my opinion) too--you know I can't find anything wrong--I dunno why. Oh, loved music....