All member reviews for Charlotte's Web (2006)

Enchanting take on a beloved children's classic.

Kid, 10 years old July 29, 2010
Such a cute movie, haven't seen it in a while though. :(
Kid, 11 years old October 2, 2009

a great movie/book

i think charlott's web is a heartworming movie it also is great for the whole family.the book is great too.
Parent Written byTheFunkyMama August 2, 2011

Conservative parent review for younger children!

I am always searching for wholesome movies for my children (age 3 1/2 and 5 1/2). My kids do not watch any TV, no commercials or ads, and only see DVDs that I screen before they see them. What this means is that they are sensitive, caring and not immune to seeing scary and violent things. *SPOILERS FROM THIS POINT ON!*** This movie does use the work "kill" several times in reference to Wilbur being Christmas dinner. It is not violent, it is matter of fact. Charlotte does die at the end, and she tells Wilbur that is what is happening. The actual moment is very subtle. My 3 year old totally didn't get this part, my 5 year old did, but he was fine with it. We have taught them the cycle of life and death, and this movie does a wonderful job following through on the cycle. Wilbur takes Charlotte's egg sack and cares for it throughout the winter. In the spring, all of Charlotte's babies come from the egg sack and 3 of them remain behind in the barn. It is a very sweet, well done family movie. No doubt, your children may have questions about death, but this is actually a great teaching moment. I have NO idea why 85% of reviewers say sexual content is an issue...unless they're talking about a Charlotte's egg sack. But I wouldn't consider that sexual. They are no bad words, sexual innuendo or anything rude and vulgar (the cow does fart once). There is no drinking, drugs or smoking. And if there is a product placement, I did not notice it - and that says a lot!
Parent of a 7 and 10 year old Written bymathmom April 9, 2008

Amazing special effects with a heart

I saw this movie with my kids 6 and 9, both of you got choked up, but loved it. As someone who loved the animated version with Paul Lynde as Templeton, I thought this was a wonderful homage to both that version and E.B. White's wonderful book. All of the voices were extremely well-cast. Humorous moments help eleviate the tension and sadness of the death of the wonderful friend Charlotte. One of the best parts of this film was the CGI animation of Charlotte spinning her webs. This was done from the "spider's eye view" with the camera moving in ways that never could have been accomplished without CGI (in my opinion). It's amazing to see for any adult interested in computer graphics. A wonderful movie for the whole family, and any adults who are just curious about CGI. Great message about the possiblity of miracles happening everyday around us, but we are not observant enough or open to seeing them.
Kid, 10 years old March 13, 2011

awesome for everyone

i love the book and the movie..... they are awesome..
Teen, 14 years old Written bySara_diamonds April 16, 2009

Heart warming!

This movie is so cute! The animals are gorgeous and loveable. Wilbur the pig is caring for athers and this displays that one of the best things you can do is a person is to put others before yourself. Charlotte the spider may look like an ugly, scary, spider but she really is kind and beautiful on the inside, this tells people who watch this movie to never judge others by the way they look because looks don't matter. When Charlotte died this made made me cry to the point that I had used most of the tissues in the tissue box! Very nice movie.
Parent of a 6 year old Written byMGYJ November 29, 2012

Truly gentle but never boring.

My child is very sensitive to violence and stressful situations in movies (turns away in almost all chasing scenes in cartoons - which are plenty). This is the first movie she was able to see from beginning to end without looking away at all. She saw it at 5 and loved it and often asks to watch it again. It is gentle but never boring. It presents a couple of "violent" situations (like the possibility for the main character to be killed for food at Christmas) but does so without using an over dramatic tone which reduces considerably the stress of the situation for sensitive children (like mine). Highly recommended.
Parent of a 4 year old Written byAbbyJMom January 9, 2011

One of my favorites

My daughter has loved this movie since she was 3. No scary parts, the only real concern is the topic of death, but I found this movie helped my daughter understand death, which unfortunately we had to deal. It encourages imagination, love, friendship, perseverence and many more qualities that I want to install in my daughter.
Adult Written byclarence August 6, 2015
Parent of a 5 year old Written byoakparkveggie April 9, 2008

Great!

My 4 year old son and I saw this film and loved it!! The only thing that was a minor issue was the subject of them killing Wilbur (we're animal lovers and vegetarians.) Every time it was brought up, he asked me if they were going to kill him. I just had to assure him that they weren't and he was fine. He wasn't sad at all when Charlotte died- it was very subtle. I was the one whoi was fighting back tears at the end.
Adult Written byadvocatewhat'sright December 26, 2012

Decent remake much like the sequel to the original

For some reason, the site says this is actually better than the original animated version. Sorry, but I think you got them backwards. That said, don't think I don't like this movie. I'm just saying that the original is the best version. But they did a great job with the remake. They also made a decent sequel to the original a few years before, in 2003. The sequel is called Charlotte's Web 2: Wilbur's Great Adventure. It's recommended for fans of the original and the remake. 8.5/10
Adult Written byChuck Reid March 16, 2012

Wow.

I remember seeing this movie in 2006.I was 18 at the time and it was pretty good.It was VERY funny.
Parent Written bymadmuth October 22, 2011

Well done movie deals with mature subject matter

This is the first movie my 4-year-old son has ever seen, and I spent a long time researching it before finally choosing it for our first movie night ever. Compared to most of what's out there, this is a very innocent little film about friendship. However, my sensitive son, who has not been exposed to much in the way of media, was still scared at certain parts. **SPOILERS TO FOLLOW** It bothered him that the farmer was going to kill the pig (he didn't understand at all what a "runt" was or why it would have to be killed). The idea of Wilbur the pig eventually being slaughtered for Christmas dinner also, rightfully, upset him. He was even frightened by the scene where two crows chase a rat who barely gets away--it was too much suspense for him. I realize now, too late, that for a little guy like him this is way too difficult a subject to deal with. He gets just enough of it to be disturbed but not enough of it to understand any of the underlying explanations. I spent quite awhile during and after the movie really trying to highlight the positive messages of friendship etc. to compensate for the rather negative impressions he got. Overall, it's a lovely little movie but it is probably more suited to an older child--at least 5 and maybe 6, depending on their sensitivity to film scenes like those I described above.
Kid, 11 years old February 15, 2011

Good

Nice movie
Kid, 8 years old June 13, 2009

sad (sigh)

The part when charlotte died made me cry. i mean like she was so nice
Teen, 15 years old Written byDylan the reliable October 17, 2014
Great movie for everyone. The main character (Fern) stands up for what she believes in the whole movie. The whole movie is how Wilbur the pig plans to survive through Christmas without being the dinner. Templeton has a bad attitude through most of the movie, making rude jokes about how Wilbur is pork and people eat pork. Also, at the end, the sweet spider dies and it is a heartwrencher. But it is a great movie with many funny innocent scenes.
Parent of a 2 and 7 year old Written byPatrickG February 10, 2011

Great family film

It's a classic, simple as that. It does stray from the book, but keeps all the core messages intact.
Parent of a 7 and 9 year old Written byKunmingMom July 1, 2010

fun for the whole family

Kid, 11 years old April 2, 2009