All member reviews for Chicago

Oscar-winning satire all about the razzle-dazzle.

Kid, 11 years old January 26, 2011

Good, but iffy

I loved this movie. It was a little iffy, and the begining of this movie I had to skip over. But otherwise, I loved it!
Kid, 12 years old June 6, 2009

Must see!!!!

I first saw this when i was ten!!! Loved it, even went to see it on broad way!!!!
Kid, 10 years old January 23, 2010

A Bit Strong, But Fantastic

This Musical is a great, but dark, portrayal of murder, fame and 1920s Chicago. Very good and not too adult - the biggest concern would have to be the swearing/adult themes
Teen, 13 years old Written byZoelopez September 2, 2013

The best musical

Chicago is my favorite movie. The songs are amazing and really tell you something about the characters like Mr. Cellophane, you fell for Amis. Chicago also has a really good plot. I love how it's also a crime movie. Velma Kelly is so sassy. Chicago has violence and a lot of murders, a bit of sex, and mature themes. Therefore I only recommend it for mature tweens and teens. Great movie, all time fave of mine. Nice musical.
Teen, 16 years old Written byevolinag January 19, 2013

Oscar-winning musical is very entertaining. Some sex, violence.

"Chicago" is a musical by Rob Marshall released in 2002. ------------------------------------------ When you watch "Chicago" you will see what Rob Marshall focused on: big spectacle, much entertainment and little to think about. And as such, this movie is great. It is about the entertainment industry, while being entertaining itself. The musical numbers are brought to screen as a metaphor for the situation the characters are in. No one suddenly bursts out in song, instead, the setting switches into a broadway show. This is an entertaining and fascinating concept. It is also a movie that shows how the media can have impact on how people see a person. Roxie is a murderer, ain't no doubt, but because of the way she is depicted in media, people see her as the good one. But it is also interesting that, even though we see her commiting the crime, the audience will most likely find her sympathic - because she is, after all, depicted as the good one. Also, we've got a superb Catherine Zeta-Jones as Velma Kelly, as well as a superb Queen latifah as Mama Morton. So, "Chicago", while not being the most original movie, is still a lot of fun, has great songs, and actors/actresses, that perfectly fit for their roles. ------------------------ (SPOILERS may follow:) As for the age restriction, there is one sex at the beginning, but we see it with rapid cuts, and no nudity (it has passed at PG-13, so I think that says it all). There is also one murder scene in which a man is shot three times. We see the murder on-screen, but it is not any disturbing or too violent. A minor character gets executed by hanging. A woman shoots two women and a man. The language is rather mild, having uses of sh*t, wh*re and sl*t, as well as some milder profanity. Should be okay for viewers 12 and up.
Adult Written byMovieMan101 April 9, 2008

CHICAGO- And all that jazz!!!

I absolutley loved CHICAGO, it is a great movie. Definitely buy it: Sex: 6 1/2- One semi explicit sex scene and some sexually related dialogue is present but thrown away and forgotten about by music and dancing. Nudity: 5- We see parts of a man's buttocks and many, many scantily clad women. Violence: 7- The movie is centered around violence and some shootings. Also dialogue and references to murders are present. Language: 4- Mild language. And like I said in the 'Sex' column, sexually related dialogue. Drug Use: 2- Some smoking. Rating: ***** Stars out of ***** Stars
Adult Written bychristian2011 November 7, 2012

Fantastic 1920's Musical that'll leave everyone dancing.

Chicago is one of the best musical movies that really brings the 1920's styles back to the 21st century. Catharine Zeta Jones and Renee Zellweger bring it all the way to the top with their performances, especially their singing and fabulous dancing. I would rank this musical to "Sound of Music" from 1965, because it has the same likeability factor and a sense of class. Violence isn't a big deal in this movie, except for the part where one woman kills her husband and another one is known for having killed her own sister. Language is infrequent, but there's a few words. and drug use is mostly characters seen smoking cigarettes or drinking some alcohol. (mostly at parties and events). Sexual content may be a issue because most of the musicals have women and men dancing suggestively and sensually with some partial nudity, but no actual nudity is shown in the movie though. This will be a movie ok for children 12 and over.
Teen, 13 years old Written byDoctor Who Lover March 13, 2012

Chicago: one of the best musicals ever

Chicago is one of the best musicals you can enjoy to the fullest. I first saw Chicago when I was 12, and my parents warned me about some things, like sex, cursing, and violence. I took that as iffy for my age. Chicago is great!!!!! Excellent musical numbers, the songs get stuck in your head so easily, that you'll have to make sure not to sing them in a place that's not ok to sing them. School is an example, but only if you're young. Middle school and up should be ok.
Teen, 13 years old Written byemkat97 January 14, 2011

Never fails to put a smile on my face.

For something that is so inappropriate, this is one of the most well-executed musicals I have ever seen. Stage musicals never compare to movie musicals, but this is so incredibly good. Wonderful music, wonderful dancing... perfection. And to think Catherine Zeta-Jones was pregnant during the filming of this! Wow...I am proud to be a part of the same business of these ladies. THEATRE ROCKS. Such a wonderful film. It definitely deserved that Best Picture Academy Award it won. :-)
Parent of an infant, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, and 18 year old Written bymykidsarebabies April 14, 2015

14+

SWIM IFFY
Teen, 15 years old Written byhaylam December 7, 2014

Adult Written byyarelir December 5, 2014

Chicago

I can't say i enjoyed this movie but I can't say that I hated it. It had many catchy songs that were ironic and humorous. I had never watched this movie so i believed that it would be much the same as The Great Gatsby but it was not, even thought it had people cheating with one another, people trying to become rich fast and both trying to portray how the 1920's were. Roxie tried to be a woman with power but alway ended up going back with someone so they would help her get people's affection. It showed the womens role in the 19020's more differently from Gatsby, (probably since each was shown from different perspectives Chicago from a woman's perspective and Gatsby from a man's perspective) One of the most interesting things of the movies was the songs and how much satire they had in them.
Teen, 13 years old Written byKi-RBT August 29, 2014

Iffy, but fine for mature tweens

There are several sexual situations, including mention of rape, infidelity, skimpy clothing, false pregnancy, and and what is indicated to be a sex scene, although nothing is shown. Highly questionable morality is also a major theme, as is undue violence - the main character has been arrested for murder, as have many other characters, almost all of them guilty. There is medium language (at least two instances of sh*t, as well as others) and somewhat frequent mention of drinking, though it is portrayed in a negative light. That being said, the music is amazing and there really isn't much that wouldn't be fine for a very mature tween. Rating: PG-13. Off: 8 and under, Pause: 9-12, On: 13+.
Teen, 15 years old Written byHaithamB March 13, 2014

Endlessly Imaginative & Stylish

Slightly "Chicago" is one of the best musicals ever made, has one of the best scores, actors and plot. Love it.
Teen, 13 years old Written byfilm geek March 9, 2014

OSCAR winning movie

Chicago is set in a women's prison in the 1920's. It shows the trial of a lady who shot a man through musical numbers and the lies of the press and bribery. Clothing is quite suggestive in parts and a lady being hung. A great musical with a dark secret.
Parent Written bySharkReviewer November 19, 2013

Not for any kid of any age

I am baffled that a website called "Common Sense" would approve Chicago for any kid. It is so rife with deceit, hate, bitterness, crudeness and despair that I think it is an absolute downer for any age and a terrible example of a good musical to present to kids. Yes, it is very well done for what it is, but who wants her daughter to see these images of being a woman? No way.
Teen, 17 years old Written byMashenka July 20, 2013

Chicago

Kid, 11 years old June 29, 2013

Terrific!!!

As a theatre kid and a TOTAL broadway geek, this movie is one of my favorites. The music is great, as is the acting. The first, 15 minutes are iffy for preteens, but if you've been through 5th grade, at least you know whats happening. Watch it if you love theatre, my lovelies, and I hope this helps :)
Teen, 17 years old Written byDominicboo1 June 22, 2013

All That Jazz!

Chicago is a very fun musical that takes it's serious subject matter and makes it light(but NOT for kids). The story is this a young woman named Roxie murderers her boyfriend after she finds out he lied to her about making her a star, and lies to her husband to ask him to protect her. However when he finds out he was cheating on her, she's sent to jail. The Matron Mama Morton (Queen Latifah in a very good performance) suggests Billy Flinn(Richard Gere) to be her lawyer, but her fellow murderer Velma Kelly and Roxie are now using this crime to gain fame. The movie does mention adulterly, murder, and alcohol, but it has a unique idea to it. The only truly likeable character Roxie's husband Amos is the one that ends up looking like a fool. However, this DOES happen in real life. There are Roxies, and Billy Flinns the take advantage of others....and that is a good eye opener. The music is great, the dancing phenomanal, and the film is good fun! It should entertain most adult and teen musical lovers