All member reviews for Chimpanzee

Chimp "adoption" documentary has some scary moments.

Teen, 13 years old Written bydeeroxxnolie98 May 6, 2012

okay

the movie has some violence of the chimpanzee's going a little too crazy which might scare are younger audience's. Adult language is used once throughout the film. The movie does have an educational value. There are positive messages.
Parent Written bylcswreview April 22, 2012

Really sweet documentary.

My 10 year old daughter and I really enjoyed it. There is nothing in the movie that is inappropriate for little ears. The only caution would be that there is implied violence (you don't see them killing and eating a monkey, but they do -- you don't see the mother Chimp get killed but she does). I would have taken my daughter to this movie at 5 or 6. Some children may be scared by the violence (but they really keep it pretty minimal and implied). The cinematography is really amazing. The story is so sweet. I really enjoyed it and would see it again. I was not put off by Tim Allen's narration. It made the movie nice for the kids (my daughter was smiling throughout).
Teen, 14 years old Written byFILMCRITIC500 December 30, 2012

magnificent documentary is heart breaking to watch

this wonderful, expertly filmed, but incredibly sad docu about an orphaned chimp pushes the boundaries for a G rated film. even though its mostly mild and not shpwn, there is some shocking amounts of disturbing chimp attacks, including the death of a monkey (you see its meat being eaten) and the death of (SPOILER!) Oscar's mom, which is not shpwn but is guranteed to make animal lovers cry. in lighter moments, there are crude shots of chimp butts and one shot of chimp testicles.
Kid, 12 years old October 3, 2012

cheesy, cheesy, cheesy

want to watch a cheesy kid movie, watch this one. it's not bad, but it's not good either
Adult Written byDr.Pepper September 16, 2012

...

This documentary contains some scenes that may upset the youngest of viewers. Although nothing is shown, a young chimp's mother is attacked by a rival clan and later killed by a leopard. Other than that there is nothing offensive.
Kid, 11 years old September 4, 2012

WHY?

Don't bother if you don't like sexual content - but if you do - um, enjoy? This adult film is disguised as a light hearted feature documentry by Disney. Why Disney, why?
Teen, 17 years old Written byPeopleschamp1995 August 15, 2012

Kids will learn

Very educational
Parent Written bymomma99 June 5, 2012

Not for sensitive types.

My child is 8, an animal lover and sensitive as well as bright. She picked up on all the implied violence and the scene where one chimp was eating nother. The parts when Oscar lost his mom was very clear to her what happened. We couldn't stay as she was uncontrollably sobbing. Please know your child before taking to this movie. Older views should be fine and the cinematography was gorgeous. Just not for young kids.
Parent Written bywalker rice May 18, 2012

Chimps rock & roll !!!!!!!!!!!!

I am an 8 year old girl who was adopted. This is a great adoption story between an adult male chimp and a little baby chimp. This story is really sweet because a male chimp usually doesn't take care of the babies. In this movie, Freddie, the alpha male, really loves Oscar, the baby.
Kid, 12 years old May 10, 2012

I AM KNOW AN OFFICAL CHIMPANAZEE LOVER AND I WANT TO ADOPT OSCAR!

Weather you like chimpanzees or not, you will love this movie. It touched my heart to see the alpha male chimp take oscar in like that.Though, I will say that it does have some intense moments. There was a little girl(she was about 1 or 2) in the movie theater, and she started to cry during the atack seen. There is also a time lapse of a plant growing. The camera is very close to plant, so as it grows it looks like it's crawling on to the screen. Not gonna lie, that freaked me out a little bit:) Anyway, anyone who has the time should go see it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Adult Written byFilmManiac May 9, 2012

Amazing to watch the chimps interact

Kid, 12 years old May 8, 2012

GM

PG For Language And Violence
Parent Written byStayathomemomoftwo May 5, 2012

Wonderful story and heart breaking at the same time.

Just because it is "G" rating, it is not a movie for little ones. Judge based on the sensitivity of your child. My six-year-old ended up in my lap sobbing and was unconsolable for more that half the movie and just wanted to go home after the movie and we went to it on a school field trip and were headed to the park to play afterwards. If you have a deep child, this may not be for them if they are young. I cried and I'm 37. LOL
Parent Written byjohnnylover May 3, 2012

Wonderful but one scene may be disturbing for kids

Wonderful movie for most. Some might be disturbed by the scene where the chimpanzees hunt the white monkeys. Although not much is shown, you do see the outline of the chimpanzee eating a part of the just killed monkey behind the leaves of the trees. My daughter who is 15 was distubed by this scene, since she is such an animal lover. I think it's the idea that the cute monkeys and chimps seem so similar to us, yet one is eating the other. Otherwise, I really liked the movie.
Parent of a 6 and 10 year old Written bykaloren April 27, 2012

Excellent Family Movie, but caution to younger viewers.

This is a great educational movie about the group dynamics of chimpanzees. In the end you see that a role model emerges for kids to identify with and to talk about later. The chimpanzees intereact with another group of chimpanzees int he movie and these scenes can be intense and the mother of the main character chimp dies. It's sad, but not Bambi sad. It's not dwelled on int he same way. Instead it becomes a story of survival and finding a new parent. My kids loved the movie and they never mentioned seeing the private parts on the male chimps, so it never became an issue for discussion.
Educator Written bySharon Reynolds April 27, 2012

Admirable male role

Chimpanzee does something most contemporary films don't do. It provides a positive role model for nurturing males. Not since Willow have I seen a film that portrays the adult male in such a protective role. Children do see the nature of jungle survival tactics as part of the film but the overall feeling from the documentary is one of shared community and loving support among its members. Great stuff!
Parent Written byviviancarol April 26, 2012

Beautiful!

This was an amazing movie and I would recommend it to any family. Be warned that there are at least 2 violent scenes. The first was the monkey hunt and the second was the rival pack's attack and the subsequent loss of Oscar's mother. It could be disheartening for younger children to witness the rejection of Oscar by his pack. There is a happy ending that takes this edge off. My children are 7 and 5. My 5 year old was not as interested and acted a bit squirmy throughout the movie. (She usually sits very still if the movie captures her.) My 7 year old (who never sits still) was enthralled. This movie is well worth the money in the first week since some of the proceeds were shared with the Goodall Foundation to help save this endangered species. The photography is amazing. The artists that made this movie are very incredible people and should be commended for their dedication.
Adult Written byjhrufus April 26, 2012

Sweet and inspiring movie

The commercials warn of intense scenes so I was a little worried but honestly it was quite tamer than I had thought it would be. Unless your child has an issue with thunder and lightening, I would not worry about sharing this movie with kids. It was a very sweet, funny and enjoyable film that actually inspired my child to want to help chimpanzees as soon as we got home! He's 11 but I think this may suitable for as young as 6 when children learn to deal with loss.
Parent of a 7 year old Written bycaribbeandream April 26, 2012

Beautiful story but way too slow to keep young kids' attention

The two best things about this movie/documentary are the cinematography and the story of Oscar itself. Now for the bad. When CSM's review tells you that nothing much happens in this movie, they were not kidding. I enjoy nature documentaries and even I found the movie to be a bit too slow. My 7yo son got really bored and stopped paying attention half-way through. As for Tim Allen's narration, it almost ruined the movie for me. I felt like it was Disney's attempt at inserting entertainment/humor in what is basically an educational experience. He almost sounded like an annoying tween character in one of Disney Channel's shows. It wasn't an awful movie but it was disappointing because I expected so much more.
Teen, 14 years old Written byelmo1997 April 25, 2012

Movie for Chimpanzee

I think that this is something that kids want to learn these days. Most kids love animals. Parents won't be worryed about language or anything like that. This movie is very nice. I love monkeys and im 14 the reason is because just when i was born my father called me Monkey and he still does!