All member reviews for Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

A fantastical car story custom made for kids.

Parent of a 4 and 6 year old Written byjcmccain November 7, 2009

6 yo still scared

My 4 and 6 year olds were scared by the kid catcher and broke down in tears. We couldn't finish the movie! My kids are sensitive and don't watch much TV, but I thought they'd have been ok with this.
Parent of a 3 and 4 year old Written bymom of 2 boys August 25, 2009

The "Child Catcher" is WAY to scary for 3-5 year olds

I vaguely remembered this from my childhood and rented it to watch with my 3 and 5 year olds. It was HORRIBLE. The first half of the movie was fine, but the second half was WAY to scary for them. Even though I fast forwarded through most of the second half, and then finally just skipped to the last chapter to see the ending, my 5 year old kept asking "why did the kid catcher guy have lollipops? why did he put the kids in the cage? What was he going to do to the kids?" I took it as an opportunity to talk about strangers, but he was crying and scared to go to sleep after the movie. There was also a lot of slapstick violence, shooting canons at people, and as I was fast forwarding, I caught some women dancing in "sexy" clothing. Absolutely horrible film. There was also some mildly boring parts such as the "what a lovely lonely man" song. Now I know why I only vaguely remember this one- my mom probably saw it once and that was it for us watching it. We are going to stick to Mary Poppins and The Sound of Music - those are the classics I really remember. And the music is much better in those movies too.
Parent of a 9 year old Written byehsing@rogers.com October 9, 2010

What's not to love?

We love it. What's not to love? It's a fun, whimsical adventure.
Parent Written bytootsweet May 31, 2013

Your Review Needs Stronger Warning About Child Catcher

You really need to emphasize the child catcher more in your review. He is a very scary, haunting character I recall vividly even today in my 40s.
Teen, 15 years old Written byDominicboo1 April 22, 2011

Truly Scrumptious!

The Child Catcher is mildly frightenig , but other than him this is a wonderful family film for all! It' s music is very catchy, and charcters are very loveable. In several scenes Baron Bomburst attempts to kill his wife. (she hillariously survives much to his dismay)
Teen, 14 years old Written byMarioMii November 15, 2010

Preschoolers can watch this movie

My mom said that this movie was definitely for preschoolers so I rate this iffy for a 2-year old because of some mild violence.
Parent Written bytrack2 January 27, 2012

Chitty forever

Easily as good as Mary Poppins. In fact many kids (most likely boys) will like it better than Poppins. The Ol' Bamboo dance number in Chitty is even better than the chimney sweep number in Poppins.
Kid, 5 years old November 9, 2011

Child Catcher Too Much!

Search "child catcher" and you won't be able to sleep EITHER! The villain is way too scary for kids. No way I'm exposing our girls to him. It's not like they're gonna miss out in life cuz they didn't see a flying car!
Kid, 11 years old January 30, 2011

it's ok

its good. some people hate on this one scene with the baron and queen, who are a married couple, dance around sing ing because of the queen's dress. you might a well hate on a leotard and tutu.
Kid, 8 years old April 9, 2008

I lost six brain cells watching this!

I really don't like it. BUT IT WAS SOOOOOOOO BAD. The shooting part was just... UNBELIVALBLE.I can't belive th ey will put it in there. I'd say NOT RIGHT FOR kids.

an all time classic story

I loved this movie from when I was one years old to now. It is one of the best family stories ever. If you have never seen this movie you are a disgrace to your country. Watch it now!!!
Kid, 12 years old February 18, 2013

A Classic Kids Movie

This movie is a classic. It's full of great songs. I don't understand why so many kids are scared of the child catcher. He's silly, not scary. Only really really really sensitive kids would be scared of him. Nothing really is an issue, and there are good role models and messages.
Parent of a 6 year old Written bymalindakennedy January 27, 2013

more violence and scary scenes than described!!!

Please give this movie a higher rating or describe the violence more thoroughly. My 6 year old just watched this and wished she had not. I agree with her. The first half of the movie is great, but once the fantasy starts and they arrive at the castle, it is way too scary. The child catcher is truly frightening for kids and the soldier and chasing scenes are also scary despite the slapstick of it all. Also, it was disturbing for my daughter to see all the children locked up in the dungeon cave and the scene where the king tries to kill his wife should be mentioned. I love this movie and my daughter loves parts of it, but I think it should be rated for a higher age.
Teen, 15 years old Written bycaltuck44 November 23, 2010

it is my 6 year old sisters second favorite movie (after hannah montana of course) she had some questions as we watched the second half of the movie, she was a little nervous, but overall she was fine. she thought the first part was a bit boring though...
Parent Written byViannaR November 11, 2014

Wonderful music! Dick Van Dyke, love him! (But scary scenes!)

I love this film, and have been watching scenes on Youtube. I remember being really scared by Chitty Chitty Bang Bang as a young girl. I am looking forward to sharing this film with my little girl, but will wait until she's about 7 or 8 before doing so. The childcatcher is really creepy and diabolical. Don't want my child to have nightmares like I did!
Parent of a 9 year old Written byTruly Scrumptious May 11, 2014

What movies were meant to be...

This is a movie filled with music and dancing, flying cars and whistling candies, the costumes and cinematography are a treat even now. I made the mistake of watching this with my son when he was younger (maybe 6) and he found the whole concept of a 'Child Catcher' really disturbing. In my opinion the child catcher theme towards the end of the movie would be the most difficult for sensitive children to deal with. But at 9 years old it was pure enjoyment (especially on for a movie matinee on a hot day).
Parent of a 6 year old Written byKingTor March 22, 2014

SPOILER: kid-napped children might be scary for children

I had never seen this movie, but my wife and her whole family had. My wife had forgotten the kid-napped children plot-line (which is pretty much the action of the movie), but our kid sure noticed it and wasn't very happy with the movie.
Parent Written bykristakj February 26, 2014

Just ok

Overall its a decent family movie. It is long though and can drag at times for kids. Then there is also the scary clownish child catcher who can also freak them out.
Kid, 6 years old November 30, 2013

Favorite movie right now

This is my favorite movie right now. In my opinion it is very good. At first I didn't want to watch it and then I really liked it. It's a good movie for kids. I enjoyed it.
Kid, 9 years old October 29, 2012