All teen and kid member reviews for Cirque du Freak: The Vampire's Assistant

Kid, 12 years old February 29, 2012

What?!

I thoughht this movie was Rated R.
Kid, 12 years old June 6, 2011

Ummm......

Violence is an issue. A lady's arm is bitten of and you can see it lying on the ground and many more
Teen, 14 years old Written byTHE MOVIE MAN November 8, 2009

The Movie Man on CIRQUE DU FREAK: THE VAMPIRE'S ASSISTANT

Cirque du Freak: The Vampire's Assistant could be summed up into one word: Terrible. The story is about a teenager named Darren who has a perfect life that anyone would want. Loving parents. Sweet sister. Great friends. Good grades. Good future. The only thing is he doesn't want it. He hates that everything is just lined up for him. One night Daren and his trouble making friend Steven sneak out late at night to go to a freak show. There Steven, who is obsessed with Vampires, finds one performing and sneaks backstage and asks if he could become one. When he rejects him because he has bad blood Steven threatens him that one day he will kill him. While that's going on Darren also sneaks backstage to take a look at the Vampire's poisonous spider which he steals. Later Darren by accidentally lets the spider out and it bites Steven and he is put in a coma in the hospital. That night Darren goes back to the place where the freak show took place and asks the vampire if there is an antidote that will cure Steven. The vampire says he will give him the antidote if Darren becomes his assistant and half a vampire. Darren agrees to do it. Steven gets well and Darren helps the vampire. Soon Darren has trouble with the vampire part of him. He starts doing weird things like thinking about biting his sister and eating raw meat. He decides he can't live like this anymore and he becomes a full vampire. To do that he has to fake kill himself. Darren then joins the Cirque which is a group of freaks with weird talents and some of them are disturbing. A little later Steven finds out about this and turns into an evil vampire. What's terrible about this movie is that towards the end the two best friends start fighting but not just that but the movie doesn't even finish the fight. It just ends. What parents should be alert about is that this movie has non-stop cursing. The longest gap between curses is probably four minutes. There is no message except appreciate what you have. If you read the books get ready for a big disappointment. If you don't want to waist your money on a movie don't see this movie but if you want to see it make sure you are twelve or up but be prepared for a failure.
Teen, 14 years old Written bymrnewbe October 3, 2014

terrible

The books were great, and the movie won't ruin them, but this was terrible. It was incredibly boring and did not stay completely true to the books. If you want to explore this series, read the book. And if you don't take my word for it, you will see that many (who saw the movie and read the book) will agree
Teen, 17 years old Written bymoviewannabe October 13, 2013

Fine vampire movie

This vampire thriller is not the best vampire movie, but it's still okay. Beware: John C. Reilly's characters has a spider for a magical assistant. For those who have arachnophobia, do not watch!!! I did like the part when Evra starts playing an electric guitar on stage and his pet snake tries to eat the amp - that was funny!!!!
Teen, 15 years old Written bycookel June 25, 2013

Cirque Du Freak

Families can talk about how this vampire thriller differs from other movies such as kick ass, sex in movies etc for kids it is not cool for them to watch especailly Pitch perfect which is awsome foursome.
Kid, 10 years old May 12, 2013

Try it : )

This film (Cirque du freak: the vampires assistant) many things that are totally appropriate and some totally not. This film is about Darren Shan who goes to a circus called cirque du freak. Cirque du freak has many people who might be a little frightened on the performers. You should look at pictures of these people in the cirque. Alexander Rids, the cirque's wolfman, Corma Limbs, and Evra Von. This film also has a lot of bad words. These words are pretty bad. Please be aware of that so you know that it's going to happen. This film has some scary image's such as madam octa attacking Steve and the wolfman ripping of Corma Limbs arm off (Corma's limbs can grow back) which was pretty graphic. This movie was also a very good movie that kids should enjoy so please block out the bad parts and let them watch the rest it's really good : )
Kid, 11 years old March 29, 2013

Crappy Movie

Language was pretty much fine except they did say , Swear words , They def said bullsh*t. I just know Mr.Crepsley says that. One word I learnt as a 11 year old girl is larcenous. I don't get what is so scary about it? It wasn't at all. Those who said it was scary , You must be chickens. I just loathed the movie. It was not alike the books. It was totally different. I'm not here to tell you the differences but you'll see it for yourself. Books were great . 9.5/10 I shall say. Movie , Hmmmm... 3/5.
Teen, 17 years old Written byretrogamerAZAR May 26, 2012

A very disappointing movie

To be honest, I was very dissapointed with the movie. I`m a big fan of darren shan`s books but the movie , compared to the books, was terrible, in my opinion. For example, In the book the vampires assistant they didn`t know the name of the creature, known as Harkat, till book 4, vampire mountain and for another example, in the book they found the ticket to cirque du freak, not pratically handed to them by Mr.Tiny in a Limousine. It was little things like that, that annoyed me. When I read books, its all about the little details that I hold on to, but I felt that this movie was completely irrelevant to the books and so I was very dissapointed with this movie.
Kid, 11 years old February 12, 2012

Good, but the books are better.

The plot was completley changed from the books, but it is still pretty intersting. There is violence, vampire stab and beat the heck out of each other, and a boys neck is snapped, but theres not too much gore. The langauge is pretty strong, there are 5 uses of s--t plus a few uses of a-s, d-mn, or h-ll, but nothing kids can't handle. Overall good for kids 12 and up.
Teen, 13 years old Written byReel-Life December 17, 2011

Light-hearted Vampire Comedy

Light hearted vampire flick. I'd read the books before reading this and they film's very different. There's some s**ts, but not many. This film is original, funny and isn't an instant classic but an entertaining B-film. Good change from Twilight!
Teen, 14 years old Written byscottguy17 August 17, 2011

A Good Movie

This is a good movie that could have had better ratings if they would not have changed the plot or taken off major character's that take part later in the story (Alan, Tommy, Debbie, etc...). The reason it has adult language and situations is that it is rated PG-13. The violence shouldn't matter if it's for 13 and over (no blood). Parents should not be complaining about what the movie contains because all of this is appropriate for a PG-13 movie!
Teen, 14 years old Written byleahxo August 15, 2011

Yawn.

A time-waster, as most would say. If you want to kill time this is the perfect movie for it.
Kid, 11 years old July 19, 2011

2 STARS!? This is a grate movie and commonsense just spat on it!

Cirque du freak is an amazing series, and this is an amazing movie! It has some violence. two people are stabbed, a wolf man bites a ladys hand off (obviously a manecin) and a man snaps a boys neck and throws him off the roof. Langauge is S--- & a--
Kid, 11 years old July 16, 2011

Worst Movie I have ever seen

Don't see it it's a waste of time and money. Horrible gross stuff that almost made me puck. The movie is soooooooo bad.
Teen, 14 years old Written byNightinggalesRose June 25, 2011

If you're a fan of the books, let it pass.

I read the entire Cirque du Freak series six times before I saw this movie. Actually, the movie being relased made me want to read the books. So, I put off seeing the movie to read them and instantly fell in love with this magical series. I was so eager to see the characters I adored come to life. Then, I started looking into reviews. I saw how little it resembled the real storyline of the book and how little the characters were like the ones in the books. I hated it the second they started talking. Now, do realize that I am a bit over-the-top when it comes to following the books, ecspecially masterpeices like this, but this murdered everything that was beautiful about The Cirque Du Freak. In short- skip the movie and read the books. If you still decide to watch the movie, just realize that this is a vampire movie and as such has the basic elements of one- blood drinking, violence, mildly frightening scenes. It also has a few lines with bad language. It also has a few kissing scenes and some very mild and breif sexual humor. Conversely, it shares a realtively similar message as the books, which is that everything comes at a price, but you have to accept that and move on with your life. Darren and Mr. Crepsley also stand as wonderful role models, just like many, many other characters would've had they stuck to the books.
Teen, 16 years old Written byLadyDipthong April 21, 2011

love love love love

Teen Reviewer Age 15 OGORMAN actually Chris's first movie was A Plumm Summer, but he's credited as Chris J. Kelly, so that's probably what got you confused. He changed to his real last name (massoglia, duh) when filming the Cirque du Freak movie.... Cirque du Freak came second.
Teen, 16 years old Written bymandygirl003 February 8, 2011

perfect family movie for any age!

I absolutley love this movie and I think the actors were perfect for the rols they played. I have been reading the series and am currently up to book 10, and I really love the whole series, movie and books. What makes this unique is that it's not like a usual vampire book is but It's complely different from all other vampire themed books and movies. In my opinon and probably many others, It would be amazing if they made more movies from the books. When I read the books, I feel like I'm there in the adventure with them, then when I leave the book for a little while, I keep thinking I want to go back to watch my movie, even though it's a book I'm reading and I don't realize till I remmeber there's only one movie and I already saw it a bunch of times. So it would be really cool to make all the books into a movie, and if they decide to, I think a lot of people will be happy like I would If they did so.
Kid, 10 years old January 23, 2011

Cirque du Freak: The Vampire's Assistant

There is cussing and vampire violence. Also the vampires are good role models but vampaneese aren't. Much less scarier than the books. But just as good. This was a good movie.
Teen, 15 years old Written byOGORMAN January 16, 2011

Some language and violence may frighten younger kids.

I tried reading the book, but I just couldn't get into it... then the movie came out. Casting Chris Massoglia and Josh Hutcherson was a great idea. Josh has become a very stunning actor and giving Chris (oh so gorgeous) Massoglia a breakout role created the perfect duo/enemies. While Darren (Chris) is a sweet, rule abiding young man; his best friend Steve (Josh) is the complete opposite, back-talking and foulmouthed, his dark actions nearly cost him his life. Other characters like Evra the Snake Boy, Mr. Tiny, and my personal favorite: Harkat, a tiny little shrunken vampaneze who gives you a whimpering frown until you agree to hold his hand, then he tries to bite you. That may sound disturbing but I found him cute and comical. The movie may have been dark but it was funny in a dry and sarcastic way that I liked. Comments? Questions? Concerns? Email me: ogormanscommonsense at yahoo. :)