All member reviews for Cirque du Freak: The Vampire's Assistant

Teen, 15 years old Written byOGORMAN January 16, 2011

Some language and violence may frighten younger kids.

I tried reading the book, but I just couldn't get into it... then the movie came out. Casting Chris Massoglia and Josh Hutcherson was a great idea. Josh has become a very stunning actor and giving Chris (oh so gorgeous) Massoglia a breakout role created the perfect duo/enemies. While Darren (Chris) is a sweet, rule abiding young man; his best friend Steve (Josh) is the complete opposite, back-talking and foulmouthed, his dark actions nearly cost him his life. Other characters like Evra the Snake Boy, Mr. Tiny, and my personal favorite: Harkat, a tiny little shrunken vampaneze who gives you a whimpering frown until you agree to hold his hand, then he tries to bite you. That may sound disturbing but I found him cute and comical. The movie may have been dark but it was funny in a dry and sarcastic way that I liked. Comments? Questions? Concerns? Email me: ogormanscommonsense at yahoo. :)
Kid, 12 years old September 30, 2010

only wimps will think this movie is scary.....my sis is 4 and she loved it! if you wan scary watch saw! or read the book series and read slawter....(book 3 of demontata series also by darren shan)
Teen, 15 years old Written byDarkdani17 October 31, 2009

read the book 2!

movie was good not exactly according to the book but its still enjoyable if you didn't read it. If you are left unsatisfied READ THE BOOKS. The movie itself had good messages. Darren is a strong kid who trys his best to do what is right
Kid, 11 years old October 29, 2009

Stupid and pathetic

I've never read the book(but i bet it's better) but i just wasn't expecting this movie to be a total rip off.It copied off of Harry Potter(bearded woman can see future and talks in weird creppy voice;Harry Potter Prisoner of Askaban one teacher can see future and talks in woeird voice to Harry once)and Lord of the Rings(little creatures in this movie;probably something like them in Lord of the Rings).The movie was really not scary and had almost no bloodshed.Little kids might get creeped out during the fight sceens but either way it was real pathetic.I bet anyone who saw the movie was waiting at the end for something to happen between Darren and Rebecca but they just kissed for a sec then they left.Two thumbs down.
Teen, 14 years old Written byTHE MOVIE MAN November 8, 2009

The Movie Man on CIRQUE DU FREAK: THE VAMPIRE'S ASSISTANT

Cirque du Freak: The Vampire's Assistant could be summed up into one word: Terrible. The story is about a teenager named Darren who has a perfect life that anyone would want. Loving parents. Sweet sister. Great friends. Good grades. Good future. The only thing is he doesn't want it. He hates that everything is just lined up for him. One night Daren and his trouble making friend Steven sneak out late at night to go to a freak show. There Steven, who is obsessed with Vampires, finds one performing and sneaks backstage and asks if he could become one. When he rejects him because he has bad blood Steven threatens him that one day he will kill him. While that's going on Darren also sneaks backstage to take a look at the Vampire's poisonous spider which he steals. Later Darren by accidentally lets the spider out and it bites Steven and he is put in a coma in the hospital. That night Darren goes back to the place where the freak show took place and asks the vampire if there is an antidote that will cure Steven. The vampire says he will give him the antidote if Darren becomes his assistant and half a vampire. Darren agrees to do it. Steven gets well and Darren helps the vampire. Soon Darren has trouble with the vampire part of him. He starts doing weird things like thinking about biting his sister and eating raw meat. He decides he can't live like this anymore and he becomes a full vampire. To do that he has to fake kill himself. Darren then joins the Cirque which is a group of freaks with weird talents and some of them are disturbing. A little later Steven finds out about this and turns into an evil vampire. What's terrible about this movie is that towards the end the two best friends start fighting but not just that but the movie doesn't even finish the fight. It just ends. What parents should be alert about is that this movie has non-stop cursing. The longest gap between curses is probably four minutes. There is no message except appreciate what you have. If you read the books get ready for a big disappointment. If you don't want to waist your money on a movie don't see this movie but if you want to see it make sure you are twelve or up but be prepared for a failure.
Kid, 10 years old January 23, 2011

Cirque du Freak: The Vampire's Assistant

There is cussing and vampire violence. Also the vampires are good role models but vampaneese aren't. Much less scarier than the books. But just as good. This was a good movie.
Kid, 12 years old January 11, 2010

A stunning film it's immense!!! I LOVE IT!!!!!

Well here is my first film review (even though my name reprseants me reviewing games it doesnt mean i can't review films). This is either one of the best films i have seen or THE best film i have seen Violence: No gore or bllod. Stabbings, fist fights and bitings. A man gets his jaw ripped off (not showen) but you basically see it but yet you dont if you get my meaning. Just fist fights and the main character Darren has to fake his death so teh vampire tells him to "look over there" and then breacks his neck and throws him off the roof. Language: Alot of sh*s and bullsh*t and holy Sh*t, cra* as*hole and as* arnt swear words but what ever. Sex: kissing This is anabsolute 5 star a must see thank-you for your time.
Teen, 14 years old Written bymatthewr April 3, 2010

Teen, 16 years old Written bymiaka474 February 18, 2010

loved it, but not for that reason...

I loved it, but not for the reason most people think. I don't love it because the books are some of the best I have read, I love it because over all i thought it was a good movie. It seemed to me to be very well played out, and didn't really linger on one stop for to long.
Teen, 13 years old Written byReviewerkid13 November 22, 2009

Well, I never read the book, but the movie Cirque Du Freak has some language than you would see in the book.n the bright side, it shows good role models, and shows situations on making descisions. The movie may be scary for younger children which is dumb. People need to be brave these days.
Teen, 13 years old Written byMoviefreak124 November 2, 2009

Awsome!!!

I read the whole seris of books so i think this is going to be great!!
Teen, 14 years old Written byslasher23 September 5, 2010

Kid, 11 years old January 1, 2010

I LOVE IT!

This movie is one of the best action movies of the decade! I can't believe CSM rated it 2 stars!! There is some violence, for example when the main character has to die to become a vampire, and between the Vampenese and the Vampires there is tension. I haven't read the book, but I'm sure it's just as great as the movie. Some of the "freaks" were very strange in the show, and some of them could be sary for younger kids. There is frequent use of the words s**t, a**, h**l, d**k, and other insults. It's a thrilling movie with great action and even some comedy in it.
Teen, 16 years old Written bymandygirl003 February 8, 2011

perfect family movie for any age!

I absolutley love this movie and I think the actors were perfect for the rols they played. I have been reading the series and am currently up to book 10, and I really love the whole series, movie and books. What makes this unique is that it's not like a usual vampire book is but It's complely different from all other vampire themed books and movies. In my opinon and probably many others, It would be amazing if they made more movies from the books. When I read the books, I feel like I'm there in the adventure with them, then when I leave the book for a little while, I keep thinking I want to go back to watch my movie, even though it's a book I'm reading and I don't realize till I remmeber there's only one movie and I already saw it a bunch of times. So it would be really cool to make all the books into a movie, and if they decide to, I think a lot of people will be happy like I would If they did so.
Teen, 14 years old Written byscottguy17 August 17, 2011

A Good Movie

This is a good movie that could have had better ratings if they would not have changed the plot or taken off major character's that take part later in the story (Alan, Tommy, Debbie, etc...). The reason it has adult language and situations is that it is rated PG-13. The violence shouldn't matter if it's for 13 and over (no blood). Parents should not be complaining about what the movie contains because all of this is appropriate for a PG-13 movie!
Teen, 13 years old Written byemma1997 June 1, 2010

its good didnt like the ending though...
Teen, 16 years old Written byLadyDipthong April 21, 2011

love love love love

Teen Reviewer Age 15 OGORMAN actually Chris's first movie was A Plumm Summer, but he's credited as Chris J. Kelly, so that's probably what got you confused. He changed to his real last name (massoglia, duh) when filming the Cirque du Freak movie.... Cirque du Freak came second.
Teen, 14 years old Written byNightinggalesRose June 25, 2011

If you're a fan of the books, let it pass.

I read the entire Cirque du Freak series six times before I saw this movie. Actually, the movie being relased made me want to read the books. So, I put off seeing the movie to read them and instantly fell in love with this magical series. I was so eager to see the characters I adored come to life. Then, I started looking into reviews. I saw how little it resembled the real storyline of the book and how little the characters were like the ones in the books. I hated it the second they started talking. Now, do realize that I am a bit over-the-top when it comes to following the books, ecspecially masterpeices like this, but this murdered everything that was beautiful about The Cirque Du Freak. In short- skip the movie and read the books. If you still decide to watch the movie, just realize that this is a vampire movie and as such has the basic elements of one- blood drinking, violence, mildly frightening scenes. It also has a few lines with bad language. It also has a few kissing scenes and some very mild and breif sexual humor. Conversely, it shares a realtively similar message as the books, which is that everything comes at a price, but you have to accept that and move on with your life. Darren and Mr. Crepsley also stand as wonderful role models, just like many, many other characters would've had they stuck to the books.
Teen, 14 years old Written byleahxo August 15, 2011

Yawn.

A time-waster, as most would say. If you want to kill time this is the perfect movie for it.
Kid, 11 years old July 19, 2011

2 STARS!? This is a grate movie and commonsense just spat on it!

Cirque du freak is an amazing series, and this is an amazing movie! It has some violence. two people are stabbed, a wolf man bites a ladys hand off (obviously a manecin) and a man snaps a boys neck and throws him off the roof. Langauge is S--- & a--