All member reviews for Citizen Kane

Classic should be required for any movie lover.

Kid, 11 years old August 25, 2009

Parent of a 13 year old Written byTsion May 24, 2009

A Thought-Provoking Portrait of a Flawed Life...

CITIZEN KANE is continually listed by countless film studies as the greatest American film ever made. Is it? Maybe. I wouldn't be the one to tell. Is it my favorite? No. But it is an engaging, stimulating, and gorgeously made film about one man's flawed life and his constant search for meaning, which evades him to his death. There is no violence or language. It is mentioned that Kane's political life is ruined after his extra-marital affair with his soon-to-be second wife, but it is fleetingly mentioned. Kane tries to buy happiness in all forms, and is very self-centered and controlling towards both of his wives. There is also some social drinking, and one character proves to be quite fond of liquor.
Teen, 15 years old Written bybubbo April 9, 2008

A Classic!

Citizen Kane is a phenomenal film, and it's still great despite its age. Everything about this film is perfect: the acting, plot, characters, and especially the haunting and powerful ending. It's not a very happy film, but it's fascinating and definitely a must-see. As far as content goes, this film is refreshingly free of language and drugs. There are references to an affair, and one character becomes angry and begins to trash furniture and objects in his room. This film might be a bit confusing for young kids to follow, because of the unusual way it is presented.
Kid, 11 years old March 9, 2014

Not one of my favorites but good

This story is about a boy who was sold away from his parents as a kid. He was taught how to do business and make lots of money, but thats not what he wanted to. He wanted a newspaper press. He made lots of money and succeeded in business, but he was never really happy. When he died, he last word was "Rosebud". A group of people in this movie are trying to figure out what Rosebud meant. This movie teaches that money can't buy happiness. This movie has a little bit of drinking, but other than that it was good.
Teen, 14 years old Written byDMarcelo_18 March 10, 2014

Its Okay....

This movies was okay I really wouldn't put this on my Top 10. The movies was to slow for me, I thought it was pretty boring but that's My opinion..... Like I really Didn't under stand it But I do lie it thanks.....
Teen, 15 years old Written byevolinag December 31, 2011

Orson Welles' masterpiece is suitable for most ages

Orson Welles' classic is a must-see for every cineasté. The plot, the message, the brilliant protagonist, the cinematography, the brilliant structure and eventually the magnificent endings scene: this movie is just great from the beginning to the end. This movie is one of the greatest ever made and an absolute recommendment. Actually, this movie has no sex, no strong violence (a woman is slapped) and no strong language. The movie, however, is emotional and some parts are depressing. But i think older teenagers and adults will be more affected by it. This masterpiece of work is recommended to viewers 8 and up.
Teen, 13 years old Written byFaith Andreasen March 10, 2014

What is ROSEBUD?

Citizen Kane is about a man who falls in love but gets in a fight with her later on, things go wrong and the only step closer to find out why he died is to find out what ROSEBUD means.
Teen, 13 years old Written byrandomgirl88 March 9, 2014

kinda good movie

Citizen Kane is a little hard to under stand. it starts with Kane's last word which are "rose bud." It has a lot of flashbacks, and the flash backs starts with his childhood. I wouldn't call this movie the best movie ever made, but that's my opinion.
Teen, 13 years old Written byellie_w23 March 7, 2014

One Great Film

Citizen Kane is one of those movies that you have to pay attention to, to understand the message. It all starts with a man named Charles Foster Kane. When he was younger, he was given up by his parents, but as he grew up, he became more self centered and very wealthy. When he died, his last word were "Rose Bud". They need to figure out, just what his last words meant. In my opinion, I wouldn't rate this movie as "The best movie ever created".
Kid, 11 years old March 7, 2014

A three star rating for Citizen Cane

Well this number one movie has turned into a three star rating. Well citizen came is a movie with great actors but a message that does not make sense maybe I wasn't old enough to understand but this movie does not work well with 10 year olds and younger. But if you are older I would recommend this movie.
Teen, 13 years old Written byJay865 March 7, 2014

What's the news

The movie citizen can is a great movie about a man who owned the news I gave it three stars its a great movie but nothing to keep you focused on it. It's good and bad but very educational it's a if if
Teen, 15 years old Written bySecondSider October 31, 2013

The rumours are true!

Citizen Kane, is, without a doubt, one of the greatest films ever made, it has laid such an impact on my life, and it should be seen by any movie lover (like me).
Teen, 17 years old Written bymoviebuff6996 June 3, 2013

4.25 out of 5 stars- A Masterpiece with very few flaws

“The acting is passable, The Narration is superb, great camera angles/ shots, script (although sad) is very original and the twist at the end of what “Rosebud” means is truly cool. But the fact of the matter is that the pace is plodding at times, and some of the characters could’ve been fleshed out more. Still it’s definitely worth watching. I would recommend this film.” Very little bad content. No language and little violence in this masterpiece.
Teen, 13 years old Written byFilmFanJ June 8, 2012

Citizen Kane Review

I am one of those people who says that Citizen Kane is the greatest movie of all time. It is one of my favorite movies and should be required to watch. It is without a doubt perfect. Enough said.
Teen, 13 years old Written byLedZepFan98 April 30, 2012

for ten and up

This is one of my favorite movies of all time. The movie teaches the lesson that money can't buy happiness. Charles Foster Kane is not a great role model and he has an affair. The only reason I am giving it 10 is because it may not hold interest to anyone under.
Teen, 13 years old Written byhagrid21 March 25, 2012

A Timeless Classic

Citizen Kane must be viewed by anyone that considers themselves movie lovers. There is nothing wrong content wise with the movie, just the subjects and implied messages that give meaning to the movie would soar over some heads with a wide berth. Very enjoyable but a bit depressing at the end.
Parent Written byCSM Screen name... March 10, 2014

Boring

A extremely well made movie with great detail but this all is wasted on a story line that has a very dumb ending.
Teen, 14 years old Written bySomeoneYouDon'tKnow April 15, 2013

Very good, but the greatest movie ever made? Um...

Years of being a teenage movie critic, and I never actually saw Citizen Kane until I was 14. I saw it with my grandfather, an excellent person to watch complicated movies with, and before the movie started, I was totally like, "Come on, greatest movie ever made! Give me all you've got!" And, by the end of the movie, I was slightly underwhelmed. I mean, I don't deny that it's a very good movie, and I agree that it uses some very influential filming techniques, but... greatest movie ever made? I certainly don't think so. Like I said, it is still a good movie; Orson Welles gives a bravura performance as a pompous wealthy man who, deep down, just wants his childhood back, and the rest of the performances are at least decent. And it has some very good, emotional moments that made you want to punch and hug Kane at the same time, and it's backed up by a smart script. And the cinematography was magnificent and bold, doing a great job of symbolizing the mood and atmosphere. I also thought the ending was brilliant and mind-boggling, really making you think and ponder about everything you've just saw. But I don't think Kane was an especially developed character, and (small spoilers!) it didn't make very much sense to me how his entire life shattered only when his wife left him. I think there should have been more focus on the sympathetic side of his character, because I think I only felt real pity for him near the end. I also felt like some of the plot points didn't add up or were hard to follow. Plus, I thought the runtime was bloated, and several scenes really dragged on a lot. But, although I certainly don't consider it the greatest movie ever made, I do still consider it a poignant and meaningful film that, admittedly, deserves cherishing.
Educator Written byArginnon March 20, 2012

Classic but not a child pleaser

Children will not appreciate this movie. There are some exceptions, of course. But classics are not popular among children.
Teen, 15 years old Written bywho3697cares December 26, 2008

Good, but not Welles' best

Citizen Kane is (currently) the most critically acclaimed film ever made, and is considered one of the finest directorial debuts in the history of cinema. I like it, but I feel Welles made better movies, like the one he made after Citizen Kane, The Magnificent Ambersons.