All member reviews for City Lights

A screen gem. Youngsters and up.

Teen, 15 years old Written bybubbo April 9, 2008

City Lights

Certainly a classic, I'm not a fan of silent movies but I really enjoyed this one. It's surprisingly funny and even touching. Good, clean fun.
Kid, 9 years old September 15, 2015

Excellent silent movie, no flaws to point out.

If you have watched any of Charlie Chaplin's shorts, you might've noticed the following: They showcase Charlie Chaplin's pure unequaled acting talent. But, they are a drag, they are repetitive, and have little plot even for the short it was; by then, you could've been thrown off by the critics saying "The incredible actor" And that's understandable. Or maybe the theme thing just didn't work for me, I am not quite sure. If you are, watch the movies, and it will change you're perspective at him, because the critics who call him fantastic certainly aren't lying; rather, when they call him fantastic, it's a bit more of an understatement, and his movies improve far and away, although if you only saw one of his shorts, you wouldn't see the truth about the bad "theme" idea. I'd call the shorts good, but see one at a time, not all at once like I did. These only serve as a small blemish to him, and every actor is far from perfect. But making up for that small blemish is the huge edition of City Lights, which is a excellent, excellent movie, by any terms for example: Charlie Chaplin has this incredible, unheard of ability to have a joke-filled movie (So, so funny) and tie it up at the end with a more emotional ending. This is in a contender for the greatest movie I have ever seen, and the ending is far and away the best ending I have ever seen, so be excited for that (It was a bit too broad to say a movie had a great ending, sorry about the no spoiler alert.) Silent movies have a feel for slapstick mokery-of-character-stupidity or something along those lines; and it's in City Lights, it's apparent; but usually, you see a funny movie/show with this humor of stupidity and slapstick i.e. The Three Stooges, and you laugh, but it's never gut busting; with City Lights it's gut busting at LEAST 50% of the time, which is fantastic with the added limitation that it was a silent movie, so you really were powerless in terms of making "smart" jokes as we currently call it, so more to boast about Charlie Chaplin's ability, and the Little Tramp has the most personality I have ever seen in a movie, by far. A bit of slapstick violence, and something particularly, surprisingly apparent for a Chaplin flick, suicide. Two scenes. A little drinking, but nothing dark, just funny. But please parents, do not keep children away from the movie for that. I have to dismiss it because of how fantastic it is, and young children are certainly sophisticated enough to understand this, give the young 'uns a see, because it is a must-see for everyone. I suppose I cannot continue, without spoiling it for you, but perhaps this is enough convincing to SEE THIS MOVIE, if you haven't already. I hope you do. -Movies0000
Teen, 13 years old Written byLedZepFan98 June 11, 2012

Some peril

For kids 6 and up
Adult Written byChuck Reid March 24, 2012

Interesting.

This movie was EPIC! The scripts and jokes were REALLY funny!
Parent of a 5 and 6 year old Written byRandog July 7, 2009
Teen, 14 years old Written byeastside01 May 30, 2009

Chaplin's best work ever.

This is the best romantic comedy i have ever seen it is such a great movie that a lot of people will love but some other kids may get bored and shouldn't but other than that i recommend this movie very much.
Adult Written bytommysportsgirl April 9, 2008
With Chaplin, it's always a classic!