All member reviews for City of Ember

Fast-paced fantasy has lots of tense moments.

Teen, 13 years old Written bypianocutie95 February 10, 2009

cool movie

This movie was pretty awesome! It is full of suspenseful moments, such as the giant mole, which can ( and probably will be) potentially frightening for younger viewers. Also, every time they turn a corner, the music gets darker as though they're about to run into something, but they never do. except for the mole. Also, Lena's granny dies offscreen but she is shown in bed when Lena finds her after she has passed. Cool movie for 12+.
Parent of a 11 year old Written bymom6865 October 29, 2011

Too intense for 10 and under

I wouldn't agree that this movie is for 8 and up. Too intense and scary for 8 year olds. I think it's wrong to expose young kids to such intense content. My son read the book at 11 and watched the movie at 11. Seemed OK for this age. But my son doesn't watch much TV, doesn't see movies that are rated PG-13, isn't allowed to play violent video games, etc. Other kids who do all that at young ages might not find this movie particularly scary, but that still doesn't really make it right for them.
Teen, 14 years old Written byecs21297 October 16, 2009

Not that great.

I had to read the book over the summer for school and i think the book is a whole lot better than the movie! =P
Adult Written byhansens March 30, 2009

Not as Good as the Book!

There is a gigantic monster in the sewer pipes that attacks the kids. This may be a little too scary for kids under 12. It's interesting but it is not very much like the book. Also there is a scene where the little girl is threatened by the mayor which is a little too scary for younger kids.
Teen, 14 years old Written byEspumaMarina August 8, 2010

Could have been better....

It could have been much better if they didn't add things or dragged things on. Otherwise it wasnt too bad. I loved the dramatic music, but the mole thing was not in the book, I see no reason to add that, and the mayor did not get eaten, he drowned, and I think the pop actually died of a disies, not of a drowning. Doon and Lina are a little too serious, but Doon's pop was pretty funny. I don't remember them being inside of the generater, or the moth. I'm just saying they could have at least kept to the book more, they kind of messed it up otherwise.
Parent of a 9 year old Written byTAB74 September 6, 2009

A bit too "dark"

It's a movie geared towards kids 7-11 but my son who is 9 said it was too "dark" for him and he ended up having a nightmare after watching it. This is a child who loves Transformers, but yet this movie didn't work for him.
Adult Written bywmdubow May 4, 2009

Gratuitously scary

My 11-year old son saw this movie in school after reading the book. The kids were generally disappointed in it, as it did not follow the book. My son said, "The mole was really creepy and there wasn't anything like it in the book, and there was no point at all in having it in the movie." It created weeks of fears because of the violent imagery.
Adult Written bychicagobratz February 14, 2009

this movie was the bomb

my mom owns this account and im 11 this movie is my ultamit faveriot movie im in the middle of the book and it is so good so far my mom wants to read it after me thats how good it is the movie has no language or violence or anything it ios great for all ages
Parent Written byBboy-Calculator March 20, 2015

Amazing!!^o^

It is an amazing movie. It teaches you many qualities. It also shows kids how to think above-and-beyond.
Kid, 11 years old February 27, 2015

Great! But Dark!

This is a great movie. But it is literally dark. The story line is sometimes hard to follow. Lots of tense parts in this movie and some scary parts.
Kid, 10 years old January 13, 2015

Rushed and misleading

The City of Ember movie altered critical details like when it added the giant mole. The book did not have that. It was too fast paced, like when you are in the middle of the movie that scene is at the end of the book.
Kid, 10 years old June 23, 2014

Nothing Like The Book!

This is the worst movie ever (maybe not, but it’s bad). There is not even a hint of the book’s quality in it. If you are not familiar with the plot, there is a city underground that is essentially falling apart, a hidden document, and two teenagers named Lina and Doon. Lina and Doon go through a series of adventures that lead to finding an untrustworthy mayor and a way out of their city. Some scenes are completely nonexistent in the book, such as the mole in one scene that chases Lina and Doon. Lina’s father had a tunnel in the movie that isn’t in the book, too. It’s crazy how much they added in. If you liked the book, don’t watch this. I rate this movie at ages 6 and up. Good movie in itself, letdown of the original storyline.
Teen, 14 years old Written byAidantheawesomestman March 27, 2013

Aidan's Movie report on "City Of Ember"

It is really awesome. You should see it.
Teen, 15 years old Written bygilly_boy August 13, 2012

actors need improvement

Cool movie, although the characters didn't seem like they were all that human. I'm saying this because they didn't seem like they had a reaction to anything. The few times they were normal was when they were getting jobs; the main actress looked realy excited to be a messanger. That's all I have to say without spoiling much.
Teen, 17 years old Written byabbacus June 15, 2012

Really good!

I liked it. Good for older kids.
Kid, 11 years old June 7, 2011

TOTALLY FINE!

It's a great, action-packed movie. Its very suspenseful and fun! Despite the sentence, "If this is a potato, then I'm 16 and sexy,", this movie is TOTALLY fine for youngsters. It's quirky, dark at sometimes so if you are a person who doesn't enjoy that it isn't the best, and verrryyyy fun to watch. <3 it!
Teen, 13 years old Written byEMINEM27 June 1, 2011

city of ember

Kid, 12 years old July 28, 2010

Not as Good as the Book, but Not Bad

This movie was great, but not nearly as good as the book.
Parent of a 7 and 9 year old Written byPheidippides June 24, 2010

It was awesome!

All those people who think it's a bad movie, you're wrong! If I could put 100 stars I would do it. This movie was so great. My brother was afraid to watch it, but I loved it. I liked the mole part where he eats the mayor. (Zachary, age 7)
Kid, 10 years old June 18, 2010

Exciting, Creepy and Sad

It was kinda creepy, but still good. It had me excited, freaked out and sad but it's still good