All member reviews for City of Ember

Fast-paced fantasy has lots of tense moments.

Parent of a 11 year old Written bymom6865 October 29, 2011

Too intense for 10 and under

I wouldn't agree that this movie is for 8 and up. Too intense and scary for 8 year olds. I think it's wrong to expose young kids to such intense content. My son read the book at 11 and watched the movie at 11. Seemed OK for this age. But my son doesn't watch much TV, doesn't see movies that are rated PG-13, isn't allowed to play violent video games, etc. Other kids who do all that at young ages might not find this movie particularly scary, but that still doesn't really make it right for them.
Teen, 17 years old Written byabbacus June 15, 2012

Really good!

I liked it. Good for older kids.
Teen, 14 years old Written byAidantheawesomestman March 27, 2013

Aidan's Movie report on "City Of Ember"

It is really awesome. You should see it.
Teen, 15 years old Written bygilly_boy August 13, 2012

actors need improvement

Cool movie, although the characters didn't seem like they were all that human. I'm saying this because they didn't seem like they had a reaction to anything. The few times they were normal was when they were getting jobs; the main actress looked realy excited to be a messanger. That's all I have to say without spoiling much.
Kid, 11 years old February 27, 2015

Great! But Dark!

This is a great movie. But it is literally dark. The story line is sometimes hard to follow. Lots of tense parts in this movie and some scary parts.
Kid, 10 years old January 13, 2015

Rushed and misleading

The City of Ember movie altered critical details like when it added the giant mole. The book did not have that. It was too fast paced, like when you are in the middle of the movie that scene is at the end of the book.
Kid, 10 years old June 23, 2014

Nothing Like The Book!

This is the worst movie ever (maybe not, but it’s bad). There is not even a hint of the book’s quality in it. If you are not familiar with the plot, there is a city underground that is essentially falling apart, a hidden document, and two teenagers named Lina and Doon. Lina and Doon go through a series of adventures that lead to finding an untrustworthy mayor and a way out of their city. Some scenes are completely nonexistent in the book, such as the mole in one scene that chases Lina and Doon. Lina’s father had a tunnel in the movie that isn’t in the book, too. It’s crazy how much they added in. If you liked the book, don’t watch this. I rate this movie at ages 6 and up. Good movie in itself, letdown of the original storyline.