All member reviews for Close Encounters of the Third Kind

Suspenseful, thoughtful alien-encounter classic.

Parent of a 2 and 4 year old Written byjenkensing February 20, 2010
I think to not say anything about the language in the above review, is irresponsible. There were 4 S-words, and GD was used 3 times. Along with the common ones "hell" and "dammit". Those are not appropriate for my children.
Parent of a 9 and 11 year old Written byjcpilot February 19, 2010

Pretty good movie

A few curse words, S word and God D it.
Adult Written byAshnak April 9, 2008

Great Sci-Fi Family Adventure Drama

Parent of a 12 year old Written bylittleone522 February 23, 2011

Common Sense Could Use Some Common Sense With Their Review

I wish that common sense media would get their information correct. This movie has language and quite a bit of it. You can find one use of the word Bullsh*t, Three uses of the word Sh*t, At least one use of the word Bast*rd, common swear words such as Hell and A** (butt) are found throughout. Besides the language another concern that parents may have with letting their kids watch this movie are the scenes may be to frightening for young veiwers, like when the aliens come to the house objects start to move by themselves and the little boy gets taken away by the aliens. There is also a conversation that takes place where a man says "there are fun things to believe in such as time travel and Santa Claus" this may put questions in a young childs head on whats real and whats make believe. Noticeable product placements in this movie featured trucks with Baskin Robbins, Coca Cola, Greyhound, Piggly Wiggly and on the T.V. was a commercial with the Budweiser song.
Educator and Parent of a 10 year old Written bygardengoddess September 14, 2013

Themes too disturbing for under 13

I love this movie. However I wanted to watch this with my 10 year old and realized that the thematic style of the movie overwhelmed her and we turned it off. The father basically goes crazy and estranges his family after witnessing aliens landing on earth. There is a mother whose child is taken away by the aliens. It's very realistic, purposefully. This is an amazing movie and I loved it, but I think I will wait until she is 13 to try again.
Parent of a 3 and 5 year old Written byforesthillsbob March 13, 2011

Good for kids if you have the right discussions with them first.

There are a few curse-words scattered in this movie but nothing that calls major attention to itself. If you've had a discussion with your child with what constitutes appropriate language in school and social situations, this should not be an issue. Prior to viewing the movie you may want to warn your child about a fairly intense scene where the boy goes off with the aliens: he is going willingly and is not abducted, but children may be upset by the mother's distress in this scene. This movie served as an excellent launch point for discussion about aliens, life on other planets, communication, government's role in society, and space travel, and my 5-year-old daughter was fascinated and immediately wanted to watch it again.
Teen, 14 years old Written byanarchy4idiots March 16, 2009

I Saw This Movie When I Was Six, I Was Blown Away

This movie is great. Anyone can see it. No violence.No harsh language. I don't usually care about those things though. But anyways don't listen to anyone, just watch it! And by the way, batteries not included is a movie, they just haven't reviewed it lol
Adult Written bystevenspielbergfan July 18, 2012

2nd big Steven Speilberg film is pretty good.

About five uses of s**t, along with god d**n, b***h, and ba***rd.
Parent of a 12 year old Written bycrankylibrarian January 3, 2014

"Alien" does not always mean "enemy"

The first "hopeful" alien movie I remember seeing, and a great story about persevering in your beliefs despite the odds. And the Mother Ship is still awesome! Although there is no actual violence, the creepiness of the early scenes may be too intense for some children.
Teen, 16 years old Written byCommon1492 January 1, 2014

Close Encounters

Great movie kinda stupid but funny endings funny 3 stars a lot of people smoking though
Kid, 11 years old June 13, 2009
Great Movie but people say bad words a lot.
Teen, 14 years old Written byNo Name, for real. April 28, 2012

Steven Speilbergs masterpiece.

Now I know what some of you are thinking reading this, most of you think sc-fi films have thin writing, stale acting, and no point to a silly plot. Thats exactly what I think for most sc-fi's. But this one and District 9 are the best I've seen thanks to a story that is told masturfully, and lots of twists and turns, This is great.
Teen, 14 years old Written byJadenp February 19, 2011
Language NOT AN ISSUE!? Strong language throughout! suggested mpaa rating: PG-13 for strong language.
Kid, 12 years old September 4, 2010

not age appropriate for 11

the big fight scene between the parents is not age appropriat kids start to cry he locks himself in the bathroom and shes yelling curse words and trying to break into the door did i mention the three 5 year olds were watching and crying
Kid, 9 years old October 2, 2009
good
Adult Written bydigitex30189 April 9, 2008

Excellent Sci-Fi Film.

Teen, 17 years old Written byiiRevieW November 27, 2015

An automatic classic for all ages!

This movie is a classic you have to admit. Also there's no violence. There is moment that might be frightening for younger children and that's part where the Aliens come out of the spaceship. But overall the rest is perfectly fine for kids.
Kid, 10 years old November 6, 2015

Rating

VIOLENCE None whatsoever. You do not need to worry about the violence, except for one or two dead animal bodies. No blood is shown. 1/10 LANGUAGE Do not be worried about the Language. Minor cursing. B**tard a few times, maybe one quiet S word. 2/10 INTENSE SCENES Maybe, when lights are blown into a house and a woman begins crying to make it more dramatic. 3/10 KISS Very minor. A woman drives off with her kids because the man is a bit delusional. No dialogue though. 1/19
Kid, 12 years old August 3, 2015

Almost like E.T.

Spielberg did it again another great alien movie lots of positivity, but a lot of swearing
Parent Written byDuncanDerund August 31, 2014

Movie

PG-13 for alien violence played for laughs and language.