All member reviews for Close Encounters of the Third Kind

Suspenseful, thoughtful alien-encounter classic.

Age

Parent of a 2 and 4 year old Written byjenkensing February 20, 2010

I think to not say anything about the language in the above review, is irresponsible. There were 4 S-words, and GD was used 3 times. Along with the common ones "hell" and "dammit". Those are not appropriate for my children.
Adult Written byAshnak April 9, 2008

Great Sci-Fi Family Adventure Drama

Parent of a 9 and 11 year old Written byjcpilot February 19, 2010

Pretty good movie

A few curse words, S word and God D it.
Parent of a 12 year old Written bylittleone522 February 23, 2011

Common Sense Could Use Some Common Sense With Their Review

I wish that common sense media would get their information correct. This movie has language and quite a bit of it. You can find one use of the word Bullsh*t, Three uses of the word Sh*t, At least one use of the word Bast*rd, common swear words such as Hell and A** (butt) are found throughout. Besides the language another concern that parents may have with letting their kids watch this movie are the scenes may be to frightening for young veiwers, like when the aliens come to the house objects start to move by themselves and the little boy gets taken away by the aliens. There is also a conversation that takes place where a man says "there are fun things to believe in such as time travel and Santa Claus" this may put questions in a young childs head on whats real and whats make believe. Noticeable product placements in this movie featured trucks with Baskin Robbins, Coca Cola, Greyhound, Piggly Wiggly and on the T.V. was a commercial with the Budweiser song.
Teen, 14 years old Written byanarchy4idiots March 16, 2009

I Saw This Movie When I Was Six, I Was Blown Away

This movie is great. Anyone can see it. No violence.No harsh language. I don't usually care about those things though. But anyways don't listen to anyone, just watch it! And by the way, batteries not included is a movie, they just haven't reviewed it lol
Written byAnonymous March 30, 2014

Blown away by this film!

MESSAGES: None really ROLE MODELS: None VIOLENCE: The violence in this movie is very slim. There is not a lot of HARSH violence but one scene in particular involving the abduction of Barry lasts a while which involve most of the house invaded by aliens. Otherwise, glass breaks, car jumps but nothing too scary. SEX: None CONSUMERISM: Just a bit. McDonald's and Coca-cola are the most notable. Including Shell. And excerpts from the ten commandments saying "The movie is 4 hours long". DRINKING: None DRUGS: None SMOKING: None
Adult Written bystevenspielbergfan July 18, 2012

2nd big Steven Speilberg film is pretty good.

About five uses of s**t, along with god d**n, b***h, and ba***rd.
Parent of a 3 and 5 year old Written byforesthillsbob March 13, 2011

Good for kids if you have the right discussions with them first.

There are a few curse-words scattered in this movie but nothing that calls major attention to itself. If you've had a discussion with your child with what constitutes appropriate language in school and social situations, this should not be an issue. Prior to viewing the movie you may want to warn your child about a fairly intense scene where the boy goes off with the aliens: he is going willingly and is not abducted, but children may be upset by the mother's distress in this scene. This movie served as an excellent launch point for discussion about aliens, life on other planets, communication, government's role in society, and space travel, and my 5-year-old daughter was fascinated and immediately wanted to watch it again.
Teen, 16 years old Written byCommon1492 January 1, 2014

Close Encounters

Great movie kinda stupid but funny endings funny 3 stars a lot of people smoking though
Educator and Parent of a 10 year old Written bygardengoddess September 14, 2013

Themes too disturbing for under 13

I love this movie. However I wanted to watch this with my 10 year old and realized that the thematic style of the movie overwhelmed her and we turned it off. The father basically goes crazy and estranges his family after witnessing aliens landing on earth. There is a mother whose child is taken away by the aliens. It's very realistic, purposefully. This is an amazing movie and I loved it, but I think I will wait until she is 13 to try again.
Parent of a 12 year old Written bycrankylibrarian January 3, 2014

"Alien" does not always mean "enemy"

The first "hopeful" alien movie I remember seeing, and a great story about persevering in your beliefs despite the odds. And the Mother Ship is still awesome! Although there is no actual violence, the creepiness of the early scenes may be too intense for some children.
Kid, 9 years old October 2, 2009

good
Kid, 11 years old June 13, 2009

Great Movie but people say bad words a lot.
Adult Written bydigitex30189 April 9, 2008

Excellent Sci-Fi Film.

Parent Written byDuncanDerund August 31, 2014

Movie

PG-13 for alien violence played for laughs and language.
Teen, 14 years old Written byFILMCRITIC500 May 24, 2013

tremendous sci-fi stunner has strong language and lots of peril

once again, the great Steven Spielberg gives us a timeless classic that is Close Encounters of the Third Kind. a rousing, suspenseful tale full of thrills and beautiful effects and loud, blasting sound, including the theme from Spielberg's earlier film Jaws. and while there is no violence, except for a child being abducted and a car driving off a cliff, there's really nothing here to worry about. but the language is surprisingly strong, even for a PG movie. some characters use harsh language such as s**t, goda**it and h**l. asides for the strong language, this is a must see for sci-fi fans and film fans everywhere.
Kid, 12 years old February 2, 2013

One of the Most Groundbreaking Sci Fi Movies Of All Time

This is groundbreaking because it was one of the 1st movies with friendly aliens. Movies like The War of the Worlds have aliens trying to take over the world. It doesn't have much violence, but some scenes might be scary fo little kids. There's also some language, but not as much as most PG-13 movies. foresthillsbob is right. Just tell your kids not to say those words. There are some good role models, and the message is that if aliens exist, they might be friendly.
Teen, 16 years old Written byBestPicture1996 June 20, 2012

One of the genre's best

It's rare for a sci-fi movie to capture both the excitement of the future and the nostalgia of the present, which was the 70s for this movie. While the clothes and hairstyles from decades ago look ancient, the special effects in "CE3K" look brand new. Spielberg, of course one of the greats, delivered on both quality family storytelling and visual greatness. You really must see this film.
Teen, 14 years old Written byNo Name, for real. April 28, 2012

Steven Speilbergs masterpiece.

Now I know what some of you are thinking reading this, most of you think sc-fi films have thin writing, stale acting, and no point to a silly plot. Thats exactly what I think for most sc-fi's. But this one and District 9 are the best I've seen thanks to a story that is told masturfully, and lots of twists and turns, This is great.
Teen, 15 years old Written bychargnar March 11, 2012

Really Good

This is a speilberg Film that is perfect for younger viewers. They may find it fairly slow at some points.