All member reviews for Cloud Atlas

Teen, 17 years old Written byPrincessCharmed797 November 1, 2012

Cloud Atlas

You may not find the relatively complex story overwhelming, but the sheer scale and magnificence of this 3-hour feature will certainly blow your mind away. An adaptation of the 2004 novel of the same name by David Mitchell, ‘Cloud Atlas’, the film has six interwoven stories from different eras. The film covers six stories set in different time periods – 19th century, early 20th century, late 20th century, early 21st century, dystopian 22nd century and 170 years after the ‘The Fall’. The story of a particular era is discovered by the main character of the story in the succeeding era. The principal character in all the stories has a distinct scar on some part of his/her body, which, kind of, goes on epitomize ‘afterlife and related theories’. The concept, albeit a novel adaptation, was quite formulaic, but the screenplay, by word, was magical. The official synopsis of the film reads, “An exploration of how the actions of individual lives impact one another in the past, present and future, as one soul is shaped from a killer into a hero, and an act of kindness ripples across centuries to inspire a revolution.” The main character of every story has an accomplice who plays an instrumental role in protecting him/her from evil forces (depending on the era that the story has been set in). You have an American notary rebelling against the ill-treatment of a the Moriori tribe, a young English musician going up against his ageing mentor, a young female journalist challenging the establishment, an on-the-run press publisher trying to escape out of a nursing home and a tribesman, living in the post-apocalyptic distant future, fighting an evil tribe. All the stories, characters and thoughts do not necessarily connect in the film, but by-and-large, the underlying theme in each of the stories strikes a chord with the viewer. The 20-minute finale is so gripping and poignant that it will force you to ponder over the film long after it’s over. The cast of the film is as grand as the word ‘ensemble’ is. Tom Hanks, Halle Berry, Jim Broadbent, Hugo Weaving, Jim Sturgess, Bae Doona, David Gyasi, Susan Sarandon, Hugh Grant among others , give stellar performances and most importantly, look their parts. The premise of the film is quite unique, so to speak, and the most difficult thing is to get your actors to be able to deliver convincing performances. Such films are never shot in the same order as the screenplay is written. So, huge credit for the work of genius that we see on the big screen should go to the editor, Alexander Berner. Cinematography for such a lavish film had to be gorgeous. The film could have been cut short by around 30 minutes. It could have left a stronger impact on the viewer. The run-time, close to 3 hours, of the film, is one of the few deterrents. The underlying message is wonderful. ‘Cloud Atlas’ just numbs you with its stories, thoughts, visuals and the enchanting music. Avoid judging the film mid-way. If you do go for it, sit back, watch it patiently, and make your assessment. It’s a sum of its parts. Magnificently visualized film, written and directed by Tom Tykwer, Lana Wachowski and Andy Wachowski, ‘Cloud Atlas’ impresses at many levels. Its complex storyline and the 3-hour-runtime are the two deterrents. However, it’s a beautiful film with a poignant message.
Teen, 14 years old Written byVideogamer321 November 1, 2012

You need to see this.

One of the most spectacular films of our generation, which I will gladly compare to the film 2001, perhaps in some ways it reflects it's role. Stringing together six different stories, actors catapult across time periods and evolve with each incarnation, made extremely apparent by the excellent editing style. Actions in the past strongly influence the events in the present, and future, despite the characters from each continuity almost never encountering the other directly, both the souls and peripheral ripples of their actions. There is sex, but only frontal nudity is shown directly, alongside with characters in bed, despite it, the film is able to maintain the illusion that we are observing stark windows into these people's lives, and when the puzzle pieces start clicking, the mind moves forward with the plot. Many, many characters die, and shape the ebbing mass of the world around them. One theme is present throughout the film, and it is the striving for freedom. Freedom of burden, bounds, expression, emotion, society. This is a film worthy of philosophical analysis, but in a different vein from past films. I would flesh this review out more. It can be a very, very complex film, but can also easily be digested as an action flick. Strands of spirituality run throughout.
Teen, 13 years old Written byCarson3003 September 17, 2014

Great Movie

Ok, I know you may be surprised with my low rating (And if you look over, my age), but I do think this is the right rating. First off, I do think they could have dropped some of the sex out, but overall it was not too bad. I know from experience, being 13, and having seen this movie. I don't dwell on the fact of the language and sex, but nor was I offended. It is one of my favorite movies of all times, and every time I see a bad rating on it, it pertains to something like a weak plot. This is far from the truth. The plot is not either of the characters, rather the entire movie is the grand plot. The grand plot is confusing, and the person who recommended this movie to me said to watch it over and over again. Had I not done this I would have hated it. It took me three times, but at the end of the third time, I saw what affected what and my opinion on this movie drastically changed. I rate it pause for 13 up because if they don't dwell on the parts that are supposedly not appropriate, then it is fine.
Teen, 16 years old Written bymuse2857 June 6, 2013

Quite good for mature audiences

A lot of violence, but takes place in unrealistic background and not gratuitous. Not dominating, but graphic sex scene. Strong language. Many smoke cigarettes and consume alcohol throughout the movie. 14+ : Violence, language, sex and some drug use
Kid, 10 years old August 2, 2013

AMAZING

a spectacular sci-fi. An entertaining, funny, visually amazing. Excellent acting. Superb editing. Everything is brilliant about this movie. Really enjoyed it, maybe a bit to long, but what ya gonna do.
Teen, 15 years old Written byocie14 March 29, 2013

Great film, not for kids

I actually loved this movie. However, it is NOT appropriate for anyone under the age of 15. There are a lot of characters in this movie, and it seems like most of them die. (All is brutal or shocking ways). Some of the most disturbing scenes: a man is suddenly thrown off a building and we see his body hit the ground and splatter everywhere, a (somewhat) main character is killed by a (very!!) sudden explosion in the middle of his monologue, a woman is stabbed in the neck by her "collar" and blood squirts everywhere as she suddenly dies, a man and his young son and brutally killed, an entire village is slaughtered, etc. And there is plenty more where all that came from! Also a few (somewhat graphic) sex scenes. But anyways, I did love this movie. I think it is very memorable, interesting and affecting. It does at some times feel like too much. Too much emotion, death, action, etc. It never really leaves a break for the viewer. Even the comic relief story line is kind of creepy and tense. I do recommend this movie to older teens and up, but it is certainly an ordeal and an investment.
Teen, 13 years old Written byZoemily November 11, 2012

The Cloud Atlas Sextet

Cloud atlas was one of those movies that you cannot simply watch, you must feel and experience it. Although It has some explicit scenes, it does not revolve around sex. You must go see this movie, the sheer brilliance of it is enough to drive you mad!
Teen, 14 years old Written byMacstar November 1, 2012

Mixed emotions towards the film

Cloud Atals was one of the films that I was really exited to see this year. Watching the trailer for it made me so emotional. But The movie was a little bit dissapointing. There were some dull slow moments but most of the time the film is engaging and exiting. The film is hard to follow at first because cloud atlas changes its story from time to time. But after sometime you'll get used to it. The plot is unlike anything Ive seen. Its really a sophisticated Sci-Fi film. But in my opinion the film could have been better if the characters had more screen time it could have added depth to them. And As you would know Cloud Atlas is a violent film there's a lot of blood, shooting, etc. there are also some sex scenes. there arent a lot of sex in the movie but the scenes are really explict. Over All I had mixed emotions towards the film but I decided to give it fout stars. I guess I would need to watch it again for me to decide if i like the film or not. But otherwise I recomend people to see this film.