All parent member reviews for Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs

Adult Written byDr.Pepper October 14, 2010

Why is this only rated two stars?

This is a very nice movie. It does contain many scenes that little kids might find frightening such as a character being "eaten" by giant cooked chicken (he survived, so no worries). Also there is mild language such as "hellhole" and "holy crap"
Parent of a 3 and 6 year old Written bySnoozhe October 4, 2009

Younger than 5 can watch, but won't enjoy it as much.

I'm surprised at how much myself and my family liked this movie. It was silly, of course, but the most humorous parts continued through the movie--keeping the laughs coming. I heard people laughing out loud, which I haven't heard in a long time. It was a really fun movie.
Parent of a 4 and 7 year old Written byFireLilly November 7, 2009

Good movie, but parent/child relationship drama and action a bit much for less than 7 year olds.

I have a 4 year old and a 7 year old who are fairly well adjusted. We don't typically let them watch all that much TV. The Disney channel is it. The movie has a great story line. A bit of a departure from the book, but none the less a good one. I'd say some of the situations were still a bit adult or at least beyond the comprehensibility of the average 4/7 year old. Luckily most of these elements will go in one ear and out the other. Specifically, it was a bit to violent when it came to the destruction of the town and the child parent relationship drama was a bit beyond what my kids understand. Overall a great movie.
Parent of a 7 year old Written bygrasley627 February 15, 2010

Allergic Reaction by one of the Main Characters is a Concern

There is a scene late in the movie where the weather girl has an allergic reaction to peanut brittle. For any child with an allergy this can be very scary if they are not prepared for it. This also is an issue with Meet the Robinsons.
Adult Written byrufuskaloofus October 12, 2009

Of our two kids, one was scared, and one liked it. We hated it and felt assaulted with the frenetic noise and images. Seriously, this was one of our least favorite kids movies in a really long time.
Parent of a 15 and 15 year old Written byxmasterxofxmyxd... September 22, 2009

Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs is a lot of fun!

This movie was actually a big surprise, i didn't really expect much because of the big plot changes from the book, but this movie is hilarious for a kids movie, and has some good messages in it. The voice cast does a great job -Bill Hader, Anna Faris, James Caan, Andy Samberg, Bruce Campbell, Mr. T, and Bobb'e J. Thompson - and the animation is good, all of the jokes work, it is just an all around solid animated movie, with quirky, slapstick humor, that is hilarious. Go see it now, you will not be disappointed, this is one of the funniest movies of the year.
Parent of a 3 and 6 year old Written byFriday September 22, 2009

Some kids may be scared or disappointed

My son loves the book, but this movie was so disappointing. His words were "what's up with the people eating chickens and the weird weather machine coming to life and trying to eat it's master?" He didn't like the violence and thought the movie would have been fun without many of the scary, over the top tense scenes.
Parent of a 5 year old Written bylmnop0123 June 19, 2013

Anticipating some nightmares tonight. :(

Thought the premise would be fun for a rainy afternoon. Read reviews mentioning scary ending and ignored my instinct to skip it. For the most of the movie(first hour +/-) she was captivated, especially loving the ice cream snow. We were fine until the people were stranded and the little boy was in the path of the food avalanche. Then she was frantically crawling behind my back sobbing and begging for me to turn it off. I feel horrible because she must have been scared for quite awhile before she expressed it. They did spend a long time building tension and there was a good 20 minutes or so left when we switched it off. For frame of reference, the Toy Story incinerator is intense but she didn't express any fear at the time or afterward and we watched that a year or more ago.
Parent of a 6 and 10 year old Written byWhatsBestMom December 10, 2010

Having enjoyed the book for several years, the movie version of Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs was truly awful and left me, my husband, and our two kids (10 and 7) with a stomache ache. My 10 year old said it was making her dizzy and actually left the room. There was the flimsiest of affirmative messages at the end but, for the most part, this movie took a charming book and turned it into a a overdose-on-steroids animation. It was only marginally funny sometimes. I could go on but I won't. Just recommend skipping this one.
Parent of a 12 year old Written byMovie Chooser January 8, 2010

Pure Drivel

I hated this movie. (Okay, I'm a children's librarian, so that might have something to do with it.) The whole movie represented vapid commercialism and I found it painful to sit through. The storyline and style of animation did not so much as give a nod to the book. The book portrayed the food-falling weather patterns as a fluke of nature. The movie recast the situation as being created by a scientist kid. What's most sad, to me, is that in the sequel "Pickles to Pittsburgh" Chewandswallow learns to package the food and ship it around the world so that no one would ever be hungry again, an aspect of selfishness that was nowhere to be seen in this movie. Pure drivel.
Parent of a 7 year old Written byJennyRob November 1, 2009

Good talking points, aside from the long, scary ending...

Despite negative reviews, my son & I enjoyed CWACOM. The ending sequence was waaay too much suspense for him, but we both enjoyed seeing geeky main characters who learned how to be themselves. Afterward, we talked about mistakes people made & why they made them, plus what people did that helped. Not a bad discussion.
Parent Written byLinVA October 12, 2009

not so great for 6s and below

Really not so great. My 6-year-old liked it, but was really anxious during the final scenes where the weather gets very out-of-control. The person who gets eaten by a chicken was scary, weird, too.
Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written byMama Bunda October 11, 2009

Entertainment for our family

Loved the book, this was totally different! Our kids loved it, parents thought it was cute, though exceedingly silly at times. (My kids didn't even acknowledge the name calling. ) A fun matinee for everyone.
Adult Written byljrhaz September 30, 2009

My nearly 5 yr old was scared by the giant falling food, although she loved the ice cream scenes. She asked to leave early. She nor I were into it.
Parent of a 3 year old Written byMommaT September 30, 2009

My 4 year old found it a little scary

It was ok. My 4 year old watched it from the "safety" of daddy's lap. He thought it was a little scary.
Parent of a 6 and 6 year old Written bycaliforniatwins September 19, 2009

My six year olds enjoyed this movie!

Took my six year old twins to see the 2D matinee (the 3D freaks them out too much). They both enjoyed the movie and I was pleasantly entertained also. The only part that they didn't like (were scared of) it when the inventor "fights" the food machine at the end of the movie. I think they have a strong reaction to "bad guys" and "scary movie stuff", so other kids might not find the scene too scary.
Parent Written bysamueld1 April 7, 2015

cloudy with a Chance of meatballs

Has some language like hellhole, holy crap balls,crazy jerk,
Parent Written bytcumming November 7, 2014

not verry good movie. it just did,t make any sense

Adult Written byporkysolider111 October 25, 2014

this movie sucks

its ultra bloody and people get cut in half and then people eat them
Parent of a 3 and 7 year old Written byKindofgrownup November 28, 2012

Best kids movie for a long time

My kids (and us grown ups) laughed out loud throughout this movie. I think the reviewer is way off on this one. We all found it smart and funny. Our 3 year old, who is sensitive to scary scenes, laughed at a scene near the end that we grown ups thought would cause issues. (the chicken bit) Our 7 year old keeps watching it which he never does with other movies. It was way better that the Ice Age/ Madagascar type stuff being churned out.