All member reviews for Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs

Age-appropriate food adventure goes down easily.

Parent of a 6 and 8 year old Written bystecro September 28, 2009

Interesting movie, so-so response by kids

We all liked this movie, but my kids weren't as into this movie as they were others this summer (Up, Shorts). Definitely a fun and unique story.
Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written byTwoTimesAMommy September 27, 2009
What a great movie! And we loved that Sam is allergic to peanuts. Our children are allergic to nuts and this was so great for them!
Kid, 12 years old September 27, 2009
Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written byskiandbeachmom September 27, 2009

A little scary for some kids

Well it seemed as though my two boys were enjoying the movie just fine for about an hour, but then the drama and frightening nature of the giant food crashing to earth and the impending "perfect food storm" became too much for my 7 year old who started crying and insisted we leave. Flint's efforts to stop the storm and save the town do become quite urgent and intense, but most of the other kids in the theatre seemed just fine including my 5 year old. I guess it just depends on the child. I thought it was pretty entertaining for adults.
Parent of a 7 year old Written byjanny226 September 26, 2009

Perfect Family Outing!

This was a wonderful movie for three of us to see as a family, even my husband and I enjoyed it very much. Our 7-year-old loved it, especially the silly dialogue like the "completely unsupervised play space for kids" (may not be exact quote). My son knew from the commercials that it wouldn't be just like the book but was looking forward to it anyway. He loves technology so the fact that, in the movie, everything is cooked up by machine and operated by remote control AND that the ending involves a flying car were right up his alley. My son has Aspergers-ish PDD so sometimes is put off by things not being what he expects, but the level of humor here was just right for his smartness and he also enjoyed spotting the parts where the movie DID match the book, which was moments here and there like the pancake landing on the school and the open-roof restaurant. OH, and the 3D was waaaay better than what I remember from like 20 years ago, which was the last 3D movie I saw. The glasses fit over ours without any discomfort and even my son, who sometimes isn't sure about wearing special gear and often balks at being required to do anything, didn't complain once. He thoroughly enjoyed it. I also didn't notice that it was too loud, unlike most kids movies with any action in them at all. We enjoyed the 3D previews also, it actually was a good way for my son to get used to the glasses and forget all about them by the time the movie itself started. I thought it was a great little movie that imaginatively used the concepts from the book to spin off from. The father-son theme reminded me of Chicken Little (the movie) a bit, but not in a bad or boring way. I didn't even notice the language, but then again I live in NYC so my son unfortunately hears worse on the playground next door on a regular basis. Husband came out from the theater wishing there were more movies for grown-ups that were as clever and enjoyable as this!
Parent of a 6 year old Written byMoviesaremyhobby September 26, 2009

A Goofy Good Time

This was a fun and extremely goofy movie. My 6 year old daughter and I loved it. We saw it in 3D/IMAX, but I think it would have been just as enjoyable without the 3D or the IMAX components. The characters were well defined and developed. We loved them all from the mayor to the police chief to the dad.
Parent of a 10, 13, and 18+ year old Written byMistra September 26, 2009
I felt that there were positive messages for both parents and children.The main character is a geeky brainiac type child that grows into an adult who maintains his quirky ways. His main goal in life is to invent things but they always end up being flops. His Father struggles to understand him and the boy often comments about how his (now deceased) Mother always believed in him. He finally creates something that all the people love and gains some much needed respect. Despite the fact that in the long run his invention causes more harm than good, his Father eventually learns to accept his son for who he is and communicates his love to his son for the first time. All ends well.
Parent of a 7, 11, and 14 year old Written byDoubleLou September 25, 2009

Fun with some good messages

This was an interesting way to interpret the book. It held the interest of our 7 and 11 year olds and provided some good content for them as well. I liked that it showed - a single parent Father for a change, insight into communications from a father to a son, the "don't quit" message even after disaster started, the need to be true to ourselves, and that some things that start out sounding like a good idea end up being disasters. It even worked in teamwork into the movie as the characters each got to do what they were good at to make the team successful. A pretty fair movie overall.
Parent of a 5 and 8 year old Written bymoonbeem16 September 25, 2009

A great family movie

I recently saw with my 2 girls ages 5 & 8. Kept their interest right to the end. i enjoyed just as much
Parent of a 3, 7, and 9 year old Written byCherie.lawson September 25, 2009

Fine for 7 & 9 year old

Took my 7 and 9 year old and they had a great time. Afterward they talked about eating too much and what happened to the kid that ate too much candy. So definitely some good messages stuck with them. My older son wants to be an inventor so the message of stay true to yourself stuck with him as well.
Adult Written bylawmom September 24, 2009

Cheesy fun for the whole family

This movie was certainly cheesy, but also fun and entertaining. There were several positive teaching points woven through the storyline (for example: be yourself, don't be greedy, family relationships are important, keep trying until you succeed), and several characters experienced positive transformations. For example, Sam, a female reporter, learns that she shouldn't hide her intelligence and that outer beauty is not as important as being yourself. Another character, Brent, says that he finally wants to be useful to society, instead of being lazy and relying on his fame to get what he wants. There is also a touching scene near the end when the main character and his father finally learn how to effectively communicate with one another. I rated this movie for 7 and up, because some sensitive children may find the scene at the end a bit too suspenseful.
Kid, 9 years old September 24, 2009

uhhh...

Ummm... its OK but there is some stuff like "i cant do it" and stuff.And there is like stuff with 'oh sam' and expects mushy kissing and stuff. Man eating chickens are funny and its a cute movie.
Kid, 9 years old September 23, 2009

Ages that can see it

Well i haven't seen but I think i may be OK for kids 7+
Kid, 10 years old September 23, 2009
i love this book
Kid, 12 years old September 23, 2009

Absolutely Loved It!

I had wanted to see this movie since I saw the first preview. It was Disney/Pixar and that is always good. I don't laugh that much at funny things, but I was cracking up when I saw this movie! It was a lot of fun. Steve was great, and I thought Sam and Flint were very funny and cute together! You should see this movie! It was super cute!
Parent of a 9 year old Written byberryberry9 September 21, 2009
I liked how the kissing scenes were turned into funny and embarassing situations.
Parent of a 8 and 10 year old Written byMissi September 21, 2009

Loved it!!

ok movie is really great nothing bad except the monkey steve, likes gummy bears and is getting them off the plane by pulling the heart out and eating it! I thought it was kind of bad taste.
Parent of a 7 year old Written byMaxmum September 20, 2009

A nice light snack!

I actually quite enjoyed it myself, as it's reasonably amusing and visually entertaining. The story direction is a bit random & shallow compared to the book, which my son was familiar with; but that isn't surprising in a mainstream adaptation. There are some good messages, for what they're worth. A pleasant, harmless afternoon diversion! See my 7yr.-old son's review on YouTube: "Max reviews Cloudy with a Chance..."
Parent of a 5 and 6 year old Written byLisa in CA September 20, 2009

Cute, with good messages for girls

My 5 and 7 yr olds loved this movie. They thought it was very funny. Some of the 3-D scenes may be a little intense for young ones. I liked the positive messages for girls -- being smart is more valued than being pretty. One potentially offensive bit involves the Hispanic camaraman who was a dr in Guatemala.
Parent of a 3 and 5 year old Written bycoletteh2002 September 20, 2009
We thought this movie was lots of fun. They do a great job of adapting this book for the big screen. We will buy it when it come out on DVD.