All member reviews for Clue

Tedious movie based on board game; some innuendo, violence.

Teen, 13 years old Written byToastnJam April 10, 2011

They just don't make movies like this anymore...

I first saw Clue when it was on TV last Halloween and I, being a Rocky Horror girl, was in love with it by the time the opening credits had rolled by. I have since seen it 17 times (9 one month!). It's been my mission to expose as many others as possible to this forgotten gem of a movie--and I don't use gem lightly. Seriously folks, there is no way they could make it any better. The comedic timing is pitch perfect, as is the cast and setting. With only some minor language, a few remarks about sex (some more frank than others), and a brief kissy scene between Mrs. White and Mr. Boddy's corpse, Clue should be fine for most kids, although it will be better appreciated by those old enough to get the jokes. No words come to mind that can truly capture the spectacular epicness this movie possesses. My advice to you, dear reader, is as follows: go watch it. Now. You haven't lived until you've seen Tim Curry and Madeline Kahn on screen together. Pure, raw genius.
Parent Written byLalibela January 6, 2014

A FAVORITE Movie in Our House of Kids

Wow, I am so surprised by how off I am finding the reviews on this site lately. The worst movies of 2013 was off too. This is a favorite movie in our family. I have let my kids age 6-11 watch it and we are VERY conservative with what we watch. This is Tim Curry at his absolute best, and the supporting characters play it up right alongside him. t is supposed to seem like it takes places in the forties. There is some smoking and drinking, but I've talked to my kids before about how everybody smoked back then because they didn't know it was unhealthy. There is a bit of sexual innuendo which my kids did not get but I found the maid's cleavage the worst of the sexual content. There are plenty of lines in this movie that get repeated over and over in our house. This is right up here for us with Princess Bride. The kids like it has a little mystery and suspense (for them) and it gives them some safe thrills and chills. Personally, I have loved this movie since I first saw it and it has just grown on me. I've probably watched it over 30 times.

good movie

This movie really has nothing harmful about it. THere is a little sexual content, and they drink alcohol throughout the movie. It is, though, a very good movie. It is especially good if you've played the game
Kid, 12 years old February 18, 2013

Lots of Innuendo, but overall HILARIOUS!!!!!!

This is one of my most favorite movies ever!!!!! I was only like 10 when I first saw it and thought it was very fun and cool, but now as a teen (tween, whatever!) I see why my mom was reluctant. Although this movie is awesome, lemme clue you in on the caution parts (pun not intended!!!!!! Lol) VIOLENT CONTENT: ok, before you see this you need to make sure you know that people are frequently murdered and murdering in this movie. Characters are shot, strangled, hit over the head, and stabbed. A total of six (I think....) people are killed including two (no three) main characters ( by main, I mean ones who have more than ten lines!) SPOILER :its Mr. Boddy, Wadsworth, and Yevette SPOILER OVER! there is nothing too disturbing shown, just a knife found stabbed into someone, two people (I think!) Are shot...wait let me count.....I think its four actually but not that much blood, just a little red here and there, and one person is strangled in the dark by a rope, oh and someone is hit over the head with a candle stick! Mr. Boddy is found dead with three or four blood streaks coming from his skull. I think that's it for violentcontent... SEXUAL/NUDITY CONTENT: ok, no nudity, only two cleavagey outfits worn by a miss scarlet and (sexy portrayed) Yvette. Yvette also wears a very revealing top and bottom maid outfit and overall is liked more by the men. There is lots of sexual innuendo including a man lying on top of a woman trying to explain a sexual position, a man admits hes homosexual (but later reveals he lied by saying he was going to go homes and sleep with his wife), pro. Plum is blackmailed because he had an affair with one of his female patients, two characters have to squeeze through a tight space together and it almost seems like they are portraying a sexual position but I'm not reallysure, and lots more that I can remember. Also, miss scarlet runs a hotel where men can stay " with willing female partners" and pro. Plum asks for the number. If you're concerned about this topic, go and search more on it, this is not all of the heads ups for the category. FOUL LANGUAGE: dang it, I don't remember!!!! I'm guessing a d word here and there but I have no idea SMOKING/DRINKING: characters smoke and drink, Mrs. Peacock is believed to be poisoned at one point OTHER NEGATIVE ELEMENTS: there is lots more sexual innuendo, and all of the characters are terrible role models as they are being blackmailed for illegal things they have done (I still like the character, sure they are bad role models, but they are funny, definatly for older kids) Col. Mustard stole some kind of army weapon, miss scarlet runs that hotel I explained, Mr. Green is homosexual (SPOILER: not really, hes an undercover agent!!!!!), Mrs. White killed her husband I think, Mrs. Peacock did something (I forget), and pro. Plum had an affair with a patient of his. Overall, this movie may be hilariously tunny and brilliant (I didn't know it was THAT free, luv you Tim curry!!!!!! Lol), but make sure your kids are mature enough to understand the negative elements and find humor from the movie and just like, understand (you know what I mean) I hope this helped!!!!! :D
Kid, 12 years old July 31, 2009

Its a good Movie out of a bored game. they did a wonderful job!
Kid, 11 years old November 5, 2014

some jokes little ones wouldnt get

Clue the first mystery movie I'd seen when I was ten. I loved it! Not for kids under 9 because it has jokes that they wouldn't understand. Should be rated pg 13 but u know how they were in the 80s. A little violence with a women stabbed in the back and gunfire and brutally hitting on the head.Lots of drinking and smoking homosexuality
Teen, 13 years old Written byninja rsd December 21, 2013

eh

there are at least 5 deaths,it was a big let down for me,definetly not a comedy, more of a drama death movie
Parent Written bykimbal0313 November 26, 2012

For older kids

I was definitely not prepared for the many sexual references (prostitution, homosexuality, adultery, etc.) in this movie. Was not appropriate for my 10 year old for that reason. Would probably be PG13 if it weren't rated under the old rating system.
Adult Written byfletcher17 April 9, 2008

Teen, 15 years old Written byGhirahimIsFabulous May 20, 2013

Confusing- but very good

My first reaction to the movie was "How did you get all of this from a boardgame...?" I watched it again and fell in love with the movie. You probably would think 'nahh, its to weird' but I can think of weird movies that have no meaning (Blades of Glory). It was confusing but you didn't need to stop and ask questions. Every little action was a clue. The last three endings didn't make much sense, but I honestly liked going with 1 or 2, because I didn't like the original ending. It does have many sexual references and of course violence, but it makes me play the board game again. And makes me want to go to one of the mystery murder dinner parties!
Kid, 10 years old April 5, 2012

I hated her SO MUCH it-i-it fl-flam-flames, flames...

My favorite movie! I love clue! I think the biggest issue is the suggestive themes. Early in the film a man squeezes a woman's buttocks and some moments that most kids wouldn't understand, but will make adults laugh. I mean, seriously, I saw this movie first when I was eight and all of the inappropriate stuff went over my head. Other than that, it's really funny. But I'm upset with common sense media's review. What happened to Madeline Kahn's famous improvised "Flames"?
Teen, 13 years old Written byCandiceTalks June 14, 2010

Great movie!!!

I'm thirteen years old and I saw this movie about a year ago. Not only does it have an amazing plot line, but the movie itself is extraordinary. Not bad at all for an old movie. I would say that kids under the age of 10 shouldn't watch it because you do see a dead body or two, and there is murder..drinking also. The role models aren't too good, they're greedy and such. But over all I thoroughly enjoyed this movie and I would definitley watch it again!!!
Teen, 13 years old Written byPunkchic November 14, 2009

Awesome and funny!

I watched this movie in y english class becuase we had to do a ystery story and I absolutely loved it!! Well 4 Sex: one guy says he's homosexual, and there are some sexual referneces(He had what he wasn't supposed to have with patients...), kissing, and the maid has a little dress which could be iffy 4 parents. Violence: some dead bodies, slapstick and a little bid of blood drops(just like cuts). Drinks and smoking: one woman smokes a cigarette, the butler offers alchohol drinks. Overall I love this movie it was funny and it'll keep you going especially at the end lol! =)
Kid, 10 years old October 11, 2009

Adult Written byZaranai April 9, 2008

One of my favorites

It's an old movie. Not a flash-a-minute rush by any means, but still really good. The three endings will have you watching it again and again to try and figure out how you missed all the clues and how Tim Curry's slightly neurotic and completely cunning butler could see them. There are a few references to sex that aren't as easily lost in the fast banter as others, and the characters are drinking throughout most of the earlier scenes, but it's not a central theme - it's just sort of there. It is, obviously, a murder mystery so people die but it's handled in an almost comedic way with nothing graphic. Older movies are much more mild than newer ones, and this movie follows that theme well. A real classic!
Teen, 16 years old Written bymarkb4 April 9, 2008

Very good adaptation!

It really was a good adaptation of the board game with a lot of humor and incidents. The sexual content include a man who says he's homosexual; a woman who works as a call-girl; one or two kisses; and an indication to a man's private parts. Other than that, it was pretty clean; the murders were more funny than scary and the language was like "damn" and the like.
Teen, 15 years old Written byCoolrockboy3 September 6, 2013

Fun Mystery Movie

The movie "Clue" (Based off the game by Hasbro) is about six unrelated, eccentric characters that manage to become murder suspects while staying under one roof. There is some violence including, gun fire, a noose, and various slapstick. The dead bodies are comically placed in awkward and sometimes sexual positions. There is smoking and drinking from all of the characters. I'd recommend watching it late at night to get the mysterious and suspenseful feeling of the movie. Overall I think "Clue" is good for anyone 11 and up.
Teen, 15 years old Written byCrystalCloud June 15, 2013

12+ Is Very Extreme

This movie is fine, its just a toned down murder mystery which is fun and funny for fans of the game!
Kid, 11 years old June 14, 2013

Clue: The Movie - Review

Great movie if you get past the whole murder idea -- which is where the violence comes in. The violence is high but the violence is not shown very much. It is not detailed at all - which I loved about it. I hate when violence is realistic. There is a little talk about sex. There is a murderer in the house they all have a drink and Ms. Scarlet and some other smoke a cigarette. But a great movie overall!
Teen, 13 years old Written byFilm Friend September 3, 2012

Overall, a good mystery movie

Many people are murdered, but some parts of the movie are funny. Mrs. Peacock is a good screamer