Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Find entertainment that fits your kid's interests and your parenting style.

Go to For Your Family

Parent reviews for Clueless

Charming take on Jane Austen's Emma has sex, drugs.

Parent of a 11 and 13 year old Written byCindiCC February 21, 2013

Disagree with the critics

Watched it with our 11 year old but stopped it after high school party drug scene and vomiting in the pool. Really not appropriate for our 13 year old either. HS girls talked about being sexual active, open use of drugs at a party, open drug talk in many scenes. Hey, this is not normal for the kids I know.

Parent Written byWadi T. September 6, 2018
No violence but lots of sex and profanity ("shit," "ass", "bitch", "asshole", "fuck").

Adult Written byTheLittleDayDreamer August 20, 2018

Your children are gonna be fine, relax.

I watched this movie when I was twelve, and it didn't harm me in anyway. Look, your kid is either gonna get it or they won't. Anything that is promiscuous will likely go right over their heads until they re-watch it a few years later. But, if they do get it, then that's not the film's fault, likelihood is they probably knew what it meant before they sat down in front of the TV. I've seen so many people complain about how they put virginity in a bad light, overall it doesn't, Cher makes it clear that she doesn't want to have sex until the time is right; when she feels comfortable. She ditches the a guys that don't treat her right for someone who does. It promotes good and supportive female friendships, the things the three girls go through are pretty standard for highschoolers. Cher is good person the only questionable thing she does it attempting to alter her grades. The only scene I'd caution with is in the car after the party.
Parent of a 2 and 12 year old Written byZoethustra June 23, 2018

As if I wasn't going to give this 5 stars!

Clever, fun movie that is unique in its language and flair. 5 enthusiastic thumbs up! Cher is actually a decent role model for girls, despite her "cluelessness." She isn't promiscuous and proclaims that she is saving herself for the right guy, she seeks to improve people's lives, and wants to better herself in the process. The same can be said for the lead male, Josh, who is educated, charitable, kind, and listens to Radiohead in a world of Marky Mark. 15+ though because of frequent talk of sexual activity between teens.

Parent of a 8 and 12 year old Written byJenny V July 8, 2017

Surprised about the amount of sexual enuendo

I was disappointed how much they used the word "virg*n" in a negative light. Inferring that saving yourself is a bad thing. If your kid has had "the talk" it can be awkward at times knowing they know what is being discussed. Also, parents should know that the "sh*t" is used much more than I thought the ratings reflected as many 90's commonly do.

Adult Written byNeversideFaerie June 21, 2017

Poor examples for teens

I dislike that the main characters in this movie think being a virgin is the worst thing ever and are desperate to have sex for the first time, which they view as a right of passage. I was left thinking, "Seriously, at least one of those girls is going to end up a teen mother..." Though I'm pretty sure this film was supposed to be tongue-in-cheek, it still isn't a good influence on young girls (or boys) and I don't recommend it.

Adult Written byDianaB 3 October 22, 2015

No children should watch!

With all that this movie displays, I'm really surprised that parents would let their children watch this especially 10/11/12 year olds. Kids are getting pregnant at 13/14 years old and failing drug test and parents Wonder why!!!?? Not saying movies like this cause that but I do believe interainment like this plays a huge role. A lot of parents now days have no parenting skills and a lot of so called parents even do everything that this movies says or does in front of their children. I just feel sorry for the poor Kiddo's who are brought up by parents who have little to no parenting skills! God help them!

Adult Written bytaytayzilla January 1, 2015

CLUELESS

I have loved this movie ever sense I was ten, its my very absolute favorite movie of all time. There isn't any sex, just kissing and talking about sex. So if your child doesn't know about sex then I recommend having "the talk" with them before watching this movie. The language isn't terrible either, they say S--t 4 or 5 times in the whole movie but thats basically it. Its funny too. I just absolutely love this movie so I really can't say anything bad about it. And one more thing, there is a party where there are drunk people, and drinking, but overall I love it!

Adult Written byBestPicture1996 November 9, 2014

As if!

"Clueless" is such a fun movie to watch, and it pulls off a clever little trick! It's dated absolutely, I haven't seen a movie this 90s since "American Beauty." But because of the iconic slang featured heavily in it, you have so much entertainment value coming from that specific era, making it timeless! As the air-headed Claire, Alicia Silverstone created a ditzy, completely likable character even if she's one of those popular blonde Barbies we all went to high school with who we thought had perfect lives! Even though her problems aren't exactly life and death, everyone's fallen for someone that's just not good for them. This along with a future A-list supporting cast and a lot of laughs per minute, "Clueless" is timeless, and is indeed very smart.
Parent of a 12 year old Written bycxvv August 16, 2012

Classic,

For the first time I'm not going to make an actual recap because you can look at it however you want. Just watch it. What are clueless, it explains generation itself?! Tell me how many movies can do that.
Adult Written bycaffinegirl85 February 4, 2012

nice movie!

not bad. a teenage girl who's cool this is a 90's movie that every girl should enjoy nice !

Adult Written byeric in chandler December 12, 2011

Light comedy, heavy shopping

Time would be better spent reading Asuten's Emma.

Adult Written bySting Ray August 2, 2011

Clueless

Fav movie!!

Adult Written bySarah Grace August 10, 2010

There are better teen-flicks out there...

This movie has the "lets just have some fun" feel to it that every teen-flick has. The main character girl wants to sleep with a boy at her school, until she realizes he's gay. Not a movie you would call "good-clean-fun". If you want to teach your kids a little bit about the real world, Riding in Cars with Boys is more realistic. If you want to watch a cleaner teen-flick The Princess Diaries is a good alternative. But it's all your pick.

Parent Written bywhateverfloats September 14, 2009