Kid reviews for Coco

Stunningly animated, poignant tribute to family and culture.

Teen, 13 years old Written bybananaman March 29, 2020

Even with a few cons. still lots of pros to provide everyone!!

I am aware this movie has murder themes that might upset sensitive kids. But that's a pg movie. a movie that suggest "parental guidance". so think about it a little.

Anyway Coco is an amazing movie with wonderful visuals, smart storytelling, an engaging plot and much more. It has lots of interesting themes and smart writing to keep adults entertained. I applaud a mainstream movie for teaching us Mexican culture and it seems like Pixar has made yet another fantastic family masterpiece.
Thank you Pixar.

Teen, 14 years old Written byBookWorm90 March 16, 2020

One of the best Disney Pixar movies!

Everything about this movie is beautiful. I have seen a lot of movies about the day of the dead, but this one stood above the rest. Some may argue that it has similar ties with the book of life, which it does, but don't let that trifle with your thoughts about it. The music is memorable, and the plot twist will leave your mouth on the ground. Its tie with the day of the dead is expressed in an unforgettable way, and is a great way to introduce children to the tradition. It is the story of Miguel Rivera, who love of music gets him in trouble with his family, who hate music because they think its a curse. With its music, culture, and all around family fun, its a delight for the eyes and ears. It will leave you smiling through tears.

Kid, 11 years old March 16, 2020

Not for anyone under 7

I really enjoyed this movie! But extremely sad and maybe is too much for little kids. But that isn’t why it isn’t 5 stars, I really liked this movie but still 4 stars. I don’t know if that makes sense or not but whatever.
Teen, 15 years old Written byThat Bobbing Le... March 8, 2020

It had some scary stuff, like, um there was a pterodactyl and a sheep. And there was a dog who i think was called lemon sugar? and wouLD NoT ReCcOmEnD for younger audiences.

bad

Teen, 15 years old Written byThat Bobbing Le... March 8, 2020

bad

Teen, 13 years old Written byPixarFan2468 January 18, 2020

Drinking!!!

Teen, 13 years old Written byCheryl_bombshell December 27, 2019

Just a little poco loco!

This movie was crazy amazing and full of fun moments some very sad scenes but overall GREAT

Teen, 17 years old Written byOddball20 December 23, 2019

Not a fan. Mostly about (Day of the Dead)

While many people LOVE this movie, it is just not my style. I am not into movies about religion.
This movie definitely has a beautiful message with a stunning animation.
This is a great family movie for all ages.

Basically there is a tradition for every person in the family to make shoes.
There is a boy that just does not want to make shoes for a living. He wants to sing.
Although it is against his religion to sing he still wants to follow his dream.

What’s in this movie?

Minor Violence -
For those who aren't familiar with Day of the Dead traditions (skeletons, makeup to look like skeletons, beheaded/limbless skeletons, etc.), there's potentially frightening imagery throughout the movie. Some violent moments played for humor, like scenes in which a character is crushed by a large bell. Skeletons come apart frequently. A character falls from a great height. Another is shown succumbing to poison. Characters are chased/pursued; some tension/peril as a result. Sad moment when a Land of the Dead figure dissolves into dust; later, another popular character appears to fade, which could upset kids. Tear-jerking climactic sequence. Pepita, a large spirit guide animal, is like a huge flying griffin/panther, and she can be intimidating (growling, pouncing, etc.). Arguing; grown-ups yell at a kid.

Minor Drinking -
Adult characters drink in a couple of scenes: a shot in one scene and drinks at a party.

Teen, 13 years old Written byChampion Mipha December 9, 2019

Good, but i might not watch again

It was a good movie, but was kind of sad, and relatable too.
Kid, 7 years old November 16, 2019

I only thought it was ok

Hi, it's your movie lover. We just watched Coco and I kind of enjoyed it. Here's a bit about the movie. There's a little bit of sad parts, so if anyone gets upset, you should be ready to talk to your parents. Parts of the movie can be a little nerve-wracking, where you're not sure if the characters will make it, but remember, it's a kids movie, so it will have a happy ending.
My four year old brother says he liked it.
Teen, 15 years old Written byAleksTheGamer October 23, 2019

Kid, 11 years old October 21, 2019

Amazing family movie

Great movie Because it shows kids that you should follow your heart and love your family. Miguel a boy around twelve adventures into the land of the dead on Dias de los Muertos , the day of the dead. It's a good movie to learn about a different culture.

Teen, 16 years old Written byprism_reviews October 6, 2019

Wonderful film, might upset younger children

First of all, Coco is a great movie. It's an entertaining adventure with emphasis on the importance of family. As for age rating, it really depends on the kid. Some children as young as four might enjoy it, even if they don't fully understand the plot, but there are some scenes that might scare or upset young kids.

SKELETONS: You can probably tell from the cover that a majority of the main characters are skeletons. They're presented in a very non-creepy way, with colorful clothing, facial features, and the understanding that they're deceased relatives. Still, I know some kids are scared of skeletons, and there are a few antics with tossing around bones that could freak kids out. Overall, though, if your kid doesn't have a problem with skeletons, they shouldn't be a big deal.

DEATH: A major theme of the story is death, since it centers around the afterlife. In the Mexican tradition, deceased relatives can cross over to the land of the living for one night if their families put up their photos to honor them. But if nobody remembers them, the spirits fade away to an unknown final death. We see one minor character fade away, and a major character almost does. Also, a living character's death is implied.
One thing some people seem to be upset about is that one plot point is that a character was murdered. It's not shown in a violent or even slightly gory way; he is poisoned and collapses. Most kids understand the concept of killing and death if they've read or watched any piece of media, so I don't understand parents getting upset about this. It's portrayed as a wrong thing to do.

GREAT MESSAGES: The movie has some really good lessons for families. The main character does disobey his parents in order to follow his passion for music, but everyone ultimately learns to put family first-- which sometimes includes making mistakes and apologizing. The main character discovers that pursuing your talents and dreams is important, but not to let ambition lead you away from people you love. Coco is an amazing film to watch with your family.

Teen, 16 years old Written byLovedByGod October 2, 2019

Great for a None Christian Movie

Plenty of skeletons spirits every where and I thought the theme was a little creepy. But the movie is a good example of culture and tradition because that really was what people believed. The moral is "family is the Most important thing". Which, isn't completely true, God is most important, but family is more important than a lot of things and the movie Coco does emphasize the importance of family unity well. The main is a little disrespectful in my opinion to his adults, and the adults do get put in a negative light, but it pans out in the end. Coco was a fine movie, but it would be good to clearly separate before hand what is true and what isn't for younger audiences.
Teen, 13 years old Written byGhOsTxReCoN September 23, 2019

Awesome!

Love it!! It contains a lot of music too, and it's really catchy and fun!

Teen, 15 years old Written byShowman movie13 August 12, 2019

Exciting with some scares

This is an excellent movie for kids. I think kids will love this fabulous movie. It contains strong postive messages. I loved this but not really the songs. A brief mention of needed to go to the bathroom in the under-world(hell).

Teen, 13 years old Written bydevourerofbooks July 1, 2019
Beautiful. Stunning visuals and highlights the importance of family.
Kid, 11 years old June 27, 2019

Great!

Coco was the best Disney movie I ever saw. I almost broke to tears. I saw Book of life and Coco is more teaching about The day of the dead and Book of Life has more adventure. So thinking about seeing Coco again just so you know it’s not a rip off!

Teen, 13 years old Written byAria Beh June 24, 2019

Great Family Movie

This movie is really good. My family watched this together and it was enjoyed by everyone including my little brother and sister. Had a lot of songs and showed the love of the family.

Kid, 12 years old June 23, 2019