Kid reviews for Coco

Stunningly animated, poignant tribute to family and culture.

Teen, 17 years old Written byUsrthea November 26, 2017

Very good and NOT a ripoff of the book of life.

Coco is unfortunately the last original (non-sequel) Pixar film of the decade and it’s the only movie I’ve really been looking forward to seeing all year so I had very high expectations for this movie and I was worried the movie might turn out to be average but seem worse than it really is due to my very high expectations, but fortunately it really did live up to the hype! In fact, I’d probably place Coco within my top five favorite Pixar movies! I also really love Mexican culture and I’ve taken Spanish class and celebrated the day of the dead before and I gotta say this movie nails the holiday perfectly! The animation is amazing and some of Pixar’s best. The colors are very bright and vibrant and are the best use of colors in any Pixar movie. The music and songs are memorable. The characters are great and can be relatable to someone trying follow their dreams even if their family doesn’t believe in them. I also love how when the characters play guitar their fingers are on the right strings and music we hear coresponds with the notes being played by the characters. The story is also really good and original. Many people have called this movie a ripoff of the book of life because they both are set in Mexico and are about a character traveling to the land of the dead and they both have a protagonist who plays guitar. But honestly Coco is actually very different from the book of life despite these similarities. Coco is about a boy named Miguel who wants to be a musician but can’t because his family has banned music because Miguel’s great great grandfather was a musician and abandoned his family. Miguel secretly plays guitar and watches videos of his hero Ernesto de la Cruz, the greatest musician ever without his family’s Knowledge. But after Miguel’s family finds out he’s playing guitar behind their backs his grandmother destroys his guitar and forbids him from playing music. But Miguel doesn’t listen and decides he needs to seize his moment to become a musician so he decides to sign up for a talent show for the day of the dead, but since his old guitar was destroyed he decides to steal a guitar from the famous dead musician, Ernesto de la Cruz. After stealing the guitar Miguel becomes cursed and finds himself in the the land of the dead and must get a blessing from his long lost great great grandfather before sunrise in order to go home. On the other hand, the book of life is a romance story about the rulers of the land of the remembered and the land of the forgotten, La Muerte and Xibalba respectively setting a wager for their worlds after seeing a boy named Manolo and his friend Joaquín competing over a girl named María. La Muerte bets Manolo will marry María while Xibalba bets Joaquín will marry María. But Xibalba cheats by giving Joaquín his Medal of Everlasting Life, which will make him invincible. Manolo dreams of playing guitar but years later, Manolo's dreams are suppressed by his father Carlos, who trains him to be a bullfighter to honor their family, while Joaquín becomes a hero with the Medal's aid. María is pressured by her father to marry Joaquín for his protection. María and Manolo both profess their love for each other but are interrupted when Xibalba sends his two headed snake staff to bite María and send her into a coma. Devastated by María's apparent death, Manolo allows Xibalba to kill him, believing he will be reunited with María in death. Manolo ends up in the land of the remembered and must find a way to get home after finding out Xibalba cheated and realizing María is still alive. So yeah Coco and the book of life have very different stories and characters and the few similarities they do have are not copyrighted, anyone has the right to make a story about the day of the dead or have a main character who plays guitar. Also the book of life came out in 2014 and even though Coco came out in 2017 the idea for Coco was pitched to Pixar in 2010 so by the time the book of life came out Coco would’ve already been several years into production and therefore couldn’t of taken inspiration from the book of life. The similarities between Coco and the the book of life are pure coincidences. Overall, Coco is one the best Pixar films of the decade and I highly recommend you don’t pass on it due to it’s similarities with the book of life. As for the content in the movie, there’s a fair amount of drinking in the movie though no one gets drunk. Characters drink from shot glasses but it’s never actually said what’s in the shot glasses. (spoilers!) a character poisons another character’s drink to kill him so he can steal his guitar and songs, but this might be over some younger kid’s heads. The only instance of violence is a giant bell falling on to a character and killing him (twice) and that’s basically it. This movie should fine for kids 6+ Who aren’t sensitive. EDIT: I want to make it clear that I don’t think the book of life is a bad movie, I actually think it’s very good. But I just felt the need to point out the differences between Coco and the book of life after a number of people I know (including my sister) refused to give Coco a chance because they thought it was a ripoff of the book of life, which it’s definitely not!

Kid, 11 years old December 3, 2017

One of my two favorite movies right now!

Absolutely in love with this movie. It’s definitely not a ripoff of Book Of Life. The music is amazing, and I love the characters in the movie. I recommend this to everyone!

Kid, 9 years old December 12, 2017

NOT THAT NICE!!!!!!!

It was a nice movie ,but I think it could be much better.So ,their were some nice movements but I think that the movie could be more long. I think that in this movie there are a lot of relatoins so you need to understand a lot.Any way I think that they tried their best.But i am not satisffied. It could be much better.Ok so enjoy the movie. bye!!!!

Teen, 13 years old Written bySteve 97 December 9, 2017

not the best

I went to see this film with a few of my friends and we all wanted to leave because it was so boring. Many people were saying it was a good film but really skip it
Kid, 9 years old December 3, 2017

Coco: it was awesome x 100000000

Coco was awesome. Awesome. If you’re looking for a movie on a relaxing weekend, a rushed workday, or even a day where you just can’t do anything, Coco is the right movie. Beautiful colors, spectacular sound, and a thrilling, breathtaking, what-just-happened story line. Coco makes your heart skip a beat, makes your eyes water, and makes you go, “Wow.” This amazing movie is perfect for all ages, and the perfect one to watch with your family. Why? Watch Coco to find out.

Teen, 14 years old Written byAdam Atom November 27, 2017

A Fantastic Kids Movie

There's nothing too scary for your young ones, considering this IS Pixar after all.

Teen, 13 years old Written byAria Beh June 24, 2019

Great Family Movie

This movie is really good. My family watched this together and it was enjoyed by everyone including my little brother and sister. Had a lot of songs and showed the love of the family.

Teen, 13 years old Written byBilly da chilli June 21, 2019

Overrated as hell

I thought Pixar was above making such a shameless ripoff. It is so similar to The Book Of Life. A film with far superior visuals and story. It would be a decent movie if it weren’t for how much of a ripoff it was. Despite the relationship between the villain and the supporting character Hector (⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️) it just doesn’t hold a candle to the movie it’s copying.
Teen, 14 years old Written byEggWilling49 June 20, 2019

A colorful depiction of a Mexican holiday!

Coco is a magical movie following Miguel, an aspiring musician who accidentally travels to the afterlife on Día de los Muertos. The movie itself is gorgeous and accurately depicts the culture and practices of Mexican people on this holiday. The characters are great role models, and all the humor is safe for kids. However, the controversial part about this movie is whether it's too scary for kids. SPOILER: Someone in the movie is murdered with poison. Whether the concept of murder is safe for your child is your opinion, but my third grade sister with anxiety did not enjoy the film while my brave second grade sister loved it. Controversies aside, Coco sends a positive message that family comes first, and the music is incredibly moving. You and your family will find yourselves crying and laughing by its end!

Teen, 13 years old Written byS. Srivastava February 24, 2019

One of the Best Pixar Movies I've Seen

The first time I saw this movie, I loved it. It's easy to see the amount of work that went into recreating the Land of the Dead (and also the rest of the Land of the Living in Santa Cecilia), and so hats off, Pixar, for your great efforts. Each and every house, skeleton - OBJECT - in the Land of the Dead is bright, colorful, and meticulous. Character walk cycles, clothing, the bridge of flowers, the spirit guides, the skeleton bones, the crowds of the dead, the checkpoint near the bridge, the fight scenes - they're all so precise. Okay, now let's talk emotional aspects/plot line. I loved the plot. The only reason I say to take your children if they're four and up is because it's a complicated plot for little kids. It was a bit hard to keep track of who was who in the beginning (and I was 12 when I first saw it). On the emotional aspect, Coco surpasses a lot of movies I know. I cried when I saw Coco, specifically the scene where Miguel and Hector are trapped in the ditch. I watched "Un Poco Loco" with a smile, I was yelling in my head at Mama Imelda because she was so ignorant, and I was weeping on the inside during the end. Today is the one-year anniversary of my grandma's death, and I started humming "Remember Me" in the morning, and I started crying. I still am! For those of you saying the movie is dark, I don't really understand. I will agree that Pixar showing a murder scene is different from their usual style, but that doesn't make it bad. Death is a part of life kids will come to know about eventually. Also, being crushed by a giant bell might seem weird and dark for a Pixar movie at first, but if you think about it, multiple cartoons show anvils falling on people's heads, characters getting diced, and characters getting flattened by cars and steamrollers (Tom and Jerry and SpongeBob SquarePants come to mind as examples). The other fight scenes in the movie are barely scary. No one gets hurt in the other fighting scenes. I learned a lot of lessons I wasn't expecting during the movie. Some of them are below: 1. Never forget your family or your roots. Always remember where and who you came from. Your family wants the best for you, even if you don't see eye-to-eye. 2. Follow your dreams. It's the best for you, and that's what counts. You will be the happiest you can be. 3. "Seizing the moment" doesn't mean throwing basic kindness out the window. Success can come with compassion. There's no need to be ruthless. 4. Forgiveness is a virtue, not a weakness. Give others a second chance, and don't hold grudges. 5. Immortality also means creating memories that last forever, not just living forever. The reputation you create for yourself can be the difference between immortality and being a nobody. Lastly, I created an account on Common Sense Media just for this movie, so that should tell you a lot.

Kid, 12 years old February 16, 2019

Music Centered Fish Out of Water Animation

Day of the dead story shows the importance of family in your average Pixar fiasco, mixing heartwarming moments for the parents with colorful slapstick for kiddos. Well done, however no Cars or Up or WALL-E.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySensical Shmensical December 22, 2018

Touching movie

Pixar’s best film.

Teen, 15 years old Written bycor-N December 20, 2018

FAVORITE MOVIE!!!

"Coco" is by far my favorite Disney/Pixar movie, if not my favorite movie of all. The animation is beautiful. The cultural elements add so much to the story and are educational in their own way. Please please please watch this movie. It will make you cry in the best way, and it will change your life.

Teen, 13 years old Written byShark Lover 12 December 14, 2018

Amazing, Stunning, A WORK OF ART!!!

This is an amazing movie. I think it is the best Pixar Movie yet! I cried the first couple of times that I watched it. When it came out, I was the same age as Miguel, and I could relate to him in many ways. The animation is incredible. I LOVED IT. WATCH IT WITH YOUR WHOLE FAMILY. IT IS THE BEST!!!!!!!!!!!

Teen, 14 years old Written byxQueen November 22, 2018

Coco

Such a beautiful movie from start to end. The characters, music, overall message, and even the touch of sadness all took part in genuinely warming my heart, making it one of the best movies I've ever watched. It's really great. Go watch it.

Teen, 16 years old Written byBrigidArmbrust November 7, 2018
Teen, 17 years old Written byjakesmithreviews October 28, 2018

Kid, 10 years old October 24, 2018
I really enjoyed this film and would highly recommend it because of the interesting story and characters
Teen, 14 years old Written byAbigail18817 October 3, 2018

Coco

This is an amazing movie about family and culture that I just had to give it a 4 star. I LOVE this movie and I think that this movie should be watched by every family!!

Teen, 15 years old Written byCoolpool785 September 16, 2018

Bring tissues

This is a must see. It is beautifully animated, a lot of funny moments, and you will cry. Don't try and hide it. You will cry. It's a fact.