Kid reviews for Coco

Stunningly animated, poignant tribute to family and culture.

Teen, 17 years old Written byUsrthea November 26, 2017

Very good and NOT a ripoff of the book of life.

Coco is unfortunately the last original (non-sequel) Pixar film of the decade and it’s the only movie I’ve really been looking forward to seeing all year so I had very high expectations for this movie and I was worried the movie might turn out to be average but seem worse than it really is due to my very high expectations, but fortunately it really did live up to the hype! In fact, I’d probably place Coco within my top five favorite Pixar movies! I also really love Mexican culture and I’ve taken Spanish class and celebrated the day of the dead before and I gotta say this movie nails the holiday perfectly! The animation is amazing and some of Pixar’s best. The colors are very bright and vibrant and are the best use of colors in any Pixar movie. The music and songs are memorable. The characters are great and can be relatable to someone trying follow their dreams even if their family doesn’t believe in them. I also love how when the characters play guitar their fingers are on the right strings and music we hear coresponds with the notes being played by the characters. The story is also really good and original. Many people have called this movie a ripoff of the book of life because they both are set in Mexico and are about a character traveling to the land of the dead and they both have a protagonist who plays guitar. But honestly Coco is actually very different from the book of life despite these similarities. Coco is about a boy named Miguel who wants to be a musician but can’t because his family has banned music because Miguel’s great great grandfather was a musician and abandoned his family. Miguel secretly plays guitar and watches videos of his hero Ernesto de la Cruz, the greatest musician ever without his family’s Knowledge. But after Miguel’s family finds out he’s playing guitar behind their backs his grandmother destroys his guitar and forbids him from playing music. But Miguel doesn’t listen and decides he needs to seize his moment to become a musician so he decides to sign up for a talent show for the day of the dead, but since his old guitar was destroyed he decides to steal a guitar from the famous dead musician, Ernesto de la Cruz. After stealing the guitar Miguel becomes cursed and finds himself in the the land of the dead and must get a blessing from his long lost great great grandfather before sunrise in order to go home. On the other hand, the book of life is a romance story about the rulers of the land of the remembered and the land of the forgotten, La Muerte and Xibalba respectively setting a wager for their worlds after seeing a boy named Manolo and his friend Joaquín competing over a girl named María. La Muerte bets Manolo will marry María while Xibalba bets Joaquín will marry María. But Xibalba cheats by giving Joaquín his Medal of Everlasting Life, which will make him invincible. Manolo dreams of playing guitar but years later, Manolo's dreams are suppressed by his father Carlos, who trains him to be a bullfighter to honor their family, while Joaquín becomes a hero with the Medal's aid. María is pressured by her father to marry Joaquín for his protection. María and Manolo both profess their love for each other but are interrupted when Xibalba sends his two headed snake staff to bite María and send her into a coma. Devastated by María's apparent death, Manolo allows Xibalba to kill him, believing he will be reunited with María in death. Manolo ends up in the land of the remembered and must find a way to get home after finding out Xibalba cheated and realizing María is still alive. So yeah Coco and the book of life have very different stories and characters and the few similarities they do have are not copyrighted, anyone has the right to make a story about the day of the dead or have a main character who plays guitar. Also the book of life came out in 2014 and even though Coco came out in 2017 the idea for Coco was pitched to Pixar in 2010 so by the time the book of life came out Coco would’ve already been several years into production and therefore couldn’t of taken inspiration from the book of life. The similarities between Coco and the the book of life are pure coincidences. Overall, Coco is one the best Pixar films of the decade and I highly recommend you don’t pass on it due to it’s similarities with the book of life. As for the content in the movie, there’s a fair amount of drinking in the movie though no one gets drunk. Characters drink from shot glasses but it’s never actually said what’s in the shot glasses. (spoilers!) a character poisons another character’s drink to kill him so he can steal his guitar and songs, but this might be over some younger kid’s heads. The only instance of violence is a giant bell falling on to a character and killing him (twice) and that’s basically it. This movie should fine for kids 6+ Who aren’t sensitive. EDIT: I want to make it clear that I don’t think the book of life is a bad movie, I actually think it’s very good. But I just felt the need to point out the differences between Coco and the book of life after a number of people I know (including my sister) refused to give Coco a chance because they thought it was a ripoff of the book of life, which it’s definitely not!

Teen, 13 years old Written byTheLostPotato June 8, 2018

Teen, 13 years old Written byKayleee419 May 19, 2018

Good movie!

I feel like this is a great movie for kids and adults. It touches on different cultures, and is very heart touching. The only things are that the movie is pretty hard to follow along for little kids. There is so many connections in the movie like puzzle pieces that you have to fit together for the movie to make sense, and some little kids might not be able to follow along as well. The others thing is there is some poisoning, and some little violence, which is not a bad thing, but if your kid is sensitive, it might be a small problem. In all, this is a great movie, and I recommend seeing it!

Kid, 8 years old May 19, 2018

Great Movie!

Not a single thing wrong except for words younger audiences might find gross or inappropriate.

Kid, 11 years old December 3, 2017

One of my two favorite movies right now!

Absolutely in love with this movie. It’s definitely not a ripoff of Book Of Life. The music is amazing, and I love the characters in the movie. I recommend this to everyone!

Teen, 14 years old Written byxQueen November 22, 2018

Coco

Such a beautiful movie from start to end. The characters, music, overall message, and even the touch of sadness all took part in genuinely warming my heart, making it one of the best movies I've ever watched. It's really great. Go watch it.

Kid, 11 years old June 15, 2018

SUCH A GOOD MOVIE!!!

It was so heart-touching!!!! IT WAS THE BEST MOVIE EVER!!! A little sad, BUT SO GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU MUST WATCH THIS. In some scenes there is drinking involved but not in any bad way.

Teen, 13 years old Written byrazor1751 May 13, 2018

Loved it!!

I loved the movie. It was so good that I saw it 3 times! Well, you should bring kids 7 and up because do you want to get hit by a bell?

Kid, 9 years old December 12, 2017

NOT THAT NICE!!!!!!!

It was a nice movie ,but I think it could be much better.So ,their were some nice movements but I think that the movie could be more long. I think that in this movie there are a lot of relatoins so you need to understand a lot.Any way I think that they tried their best.But i am not satisffied. It could be much better.Ok so enjoy the movie. bye!!!!

Teen, 13 years old Written bySensical Shmensical December 22, 2018

Touching movie

Pixar’s best film.

Teen, 15 years old Written bycor-N December 20, 2018

FAVORITE MOVIE!!!

"Coco" is by far my favorite Disney/Pixar movie, if not my favorite movie of all. The animation is beautiful. The cultural elements add so much to the story and are educational in their own way. Please please please watch this movie. It will make you cry in the best way, and it will change your life.

Kid, 12 years old June 29, 2018

This movie sends good messages and shows the importance of family though can be sad

Kid, 11 years old June 27, 2018

Diverse and Beautiful

I am like 12 and I cried A LOT during this film. clearly in my top 15 animated films and ranks (6) for me (check out my other reviews by clicking on my channel. Also no swearing anything offensive

Kid, 10 years old June 27, 2018

amazing and kid friendly

I think that coco is a good film for children and adults alike, it has some mild teasing but other than that there is no language. There is a bit of violence but not anything little kids can't handle.

Teen, 13 years old Written bySn0wwy June 26, 2018

It's a really sweet movie!

It's an amazing movie about the importance of family, with well made characters and an interesting plot. I saw it in theaters, and It's one of my favorite Disney/Pixar movies now! It's really funny in some parts too. However, there is one part that includes the murder of someone (without blood, but it does show them falling over from poisoning), so if you don't want your kid to see that then you should either not let them see that part or not see the movie at all.

Teen, 17 years old Written bySZ123 June 25, 2018

Great for all!

My nieces and I watched this movie and loved it! We ended up singing ‘Remember Me’ all day the next day. I, of course, got teary-eyed multiple times but the kids found it to be hilarious and understood the message about family and the afterlife.

Teen, 14 years old Written bytimdrakebestrobin June 24, 2018
Coco is directed by Lee Unkrich, and stars Anthony Gonzalez, Benjamin Bratt, Gael Garcia-Bernal, Renee Victor, Alanna Ubach, and Ana Ofelia Murguia
Teen, 13 years old Written byMovies16 June 17, 2018

Great movie and Great messages

This movie is literally for everyone. It’s gives a great message about family and music.

Teen, 14 years old Written bylydia129 June 16, 2018

Amazing!!

I watched this movie with my three-year-old brother and sister. They LOVED it, and so did I. This movie is sweet and entertaining - it's family-friendly. The movie has an exciting plot and a great message, and it's one of the movies that I'll watch over and over. It was FANTASTIC, and fun for kids of all ages.

Kid, 8 years old May 19, 2018

Sad, funny, and very musical.

Coco is a great family movie. If you would like to watch a movie with your child or friend, I recommend this. The story is very sad, and I almost cried. It is very educational because it shows you that you should follow your dreams! There are many parts that are hilariously funny, and you will find yourself in the most colorful world that warms your heart. Disney has really outdone themselves this time!