Kid reviews for Coco

Stunningly animated, poignant tribute to family and culture.

Teen, 17 years old Written byUsrthea November 26, 2017

Very good and NOT a ripoff of the book of life.

Coco is unfortunately the last original (non-sequel) Pixar film of the decade and it’s the only movie I’ve really been looking forward to seeing all year so I had very high expectations for this movie and I was worried the movie might turn out to be average but seem worse than it really is due to my very high expectations, but fortunately it really did live up to the hype! In fact, I’d probably place Coco within my top five favorite Pixar movies! I also really love Mexican culture and I’ve taken Spanish class and celebrated the day of the dead before and I gotta say this movie nails the holiday perfectly! The animation is amazing and some of Pixar’s best. The colors are very bright and vibrant and are the best use of colors in any Pixar movie. The music and songs are memorable. The characters are great and can be relatable to someone trying follow their dreams even if their family doesn’t believe in them. I also love how when the characters play guitar their fingers are on the right strings and music we hear coresponds with the notes being played by the characters. The story is also really good and original. Many people have called this movie a ripoff of the book of life because they both are set in Mexico and are about a character traveling to the land of the dead and they both have a protagonist who plays guitar. But honestly Coco is actually very different from the book of life despite these similarities. Coco is about a boy named Miguel who wants to be a musician but can’t because his family has banned music because Miguel’s great great grandfather was a musician and abandoned his family. Miguel secretly plays guitar and watches videos of his hero Ernesto de la Cruz, the greatest musician ever without his family’s Knowledge. But after Miguel’s family finds out he’s playing guitar behind their backs his grandmother destroys his guitar and forbids him from playing music. But Miguel doesn’t listen and decides he needs to seize his moment to become a musician so he decides to sign up for a talent show for the day of the dead, but since his old guitar was destroyed he decides to steal a guitar from the famous dead musician, Ernesto de la Cruz. After stealing the guitar Miguel becomes cursed and finds himself in the the land of the dead and must get a blessing from his long lost great great grandfather before sunrise in order to go home. On the other hand, the book of life is a romance story about the rulers of the land of the remembered and the land of the forgotten, La Muerte and Xibalba respectively setting a wager for their worlds after seeing a boy named Manolo and his friend Joaquín competing over a girl named María. La Muerte bets Manolo will marry María while Xibalba bets Joaquín will marry María. But Xibalba cheats by giving Joaquín his Medal of Everlasting Life, which will make him invincible. Manolo dreams of playing guitar but years later, Manolo's dreams are suppressed by his father Carlos, who trains him to be a bullfighter to honor their family, while Joaquín becomes a hero with the Medal's aid. María is pressured by her father to marry Joaquín for his protection. María and Manolo both profess their love for each other but are interrupted when Xibalba sends his two headed snake staff to bite María and send her into a coma. Devastated by María's apparent death, Manolo allows Xibalba to kill him, believing he will be reunited with María in death. Manolo ends up in the land of the remembered and must find a way to get home after finding out Xibalba cheated and realizing María is still alive. So yeah Coco and the book of life have very different stories and characters and the few similarities they do have are not copyrighted, anyone has the right to make a story about the day of the dead or have a main character who plays guitar. Also the book of life came out in 2014 and even though Coco came out in 2017 the idea for Coco was pitched to Pixar in 2010 so by the time the book of life came out Coco would’ve already been several years into production and therefore couldn’t of taken inspiration from the book of life. The similarities between Coco and the the book of life are pure coincidences. Overall, Coco is one the best Pixar films of the decade and I highly recommend you don’t pass on it due to it’s similarities with the book of life. As for the content in the movie, there’s a fair amount of drinking in the movie though no one gets drunk. Characters drink from shot glasses but it’s never actually said what’s in the shot glasses. (spoilers!) a character poisons another character’s drink to kill him so he can steal his guitar and songs, but this might be over some younger kid’s heads. The only instance of violence is a giant bell falling on to a character and killing him (twice) and that’s basically it. This movie should fine for kids 6+ Who aren’t sensitive.

Teen, 13 years old Written bySpeckledhyena November 25, 2017

Brilliant

I saw this movie earlier today. I've heard multiple good things about this movie - and those good things were right! It was funny, sad, and beautiful. The characters are also good rolemodels and show good examples of perseverance, gratitude, family, and teamwork. There's also some information on "Day Of The Dead" and other Mexican cultures. While there are some intimidating moments, like skeletons falling apart multiple times, the large winged panther, or the mention of murder, such moments are short and fairly mild. There's also a few adults drinking alcohol of some sort, but they're doing so responsibly and it's not explicitly stated as alcohol. The plot of the movie overall was amazing. It definitely deserved its good reviews and ratings. If you enjoyed the movie "The Book Of Life", I'm certain you'll love "Coco". It has a lot of similarities to that movie too!

Kid, 9 years old December 3, 2017

Coco: it was awesome x 100000000

Coco was awesome. Awesome. If you’re looking for a movie on a relaxing weekend, a rushed workday, or even a day where you just can’t do anything, Coco is the right movie. Beautiful colors, spectacular sound, and a thrilling, breathtaking, what-just-happened story line. Coco makes your heart skip a beat, makes your eyes water, and makes you go, “Wow.” This amazing movie is perfect for all ages, and the perfect one to watch with your family. Why? Watch Coco to find out.

Kid, 11 years old December 3, 2017

One of my two favorite movies right now!

Absolutely in love with this movie. It’s definitely not a ripoff of Book Of Life. The music is amazing, and I love the characters in the movie. I recommend this to everyone!

Teen, 15 years old Written by2A13 December 2, 2017

Teen, 14 years old Written bylgk2003 January 26, 2018

Stunning, adorable, and inspiring

Coco is by far one of the most intricate and aesthetically-pleasing Disney-Pixar movies I have seen. I was expecting all of the catchy songs and great animations, but was pleasantly surprised by all of the plots twists (Disney's upped their game since Frozen) and the movie's depth (i was sobbing into my mascara off by the last time they sang "Remember Me"). It was also extremely educational, which I didn't expect. I got a good look into Días de Los Muertos and how beautiful it is. As somebody who has dealt with loss recently, the emphasis on family hit a soft spot with me. I love how they portrayed the family always caring for their children and being with them even when they are gone. This message will probably go over the heads of the little kids watching Coco, but as a teenager it was so comforting. I always get scared when a new Disney movie comes out, but Coco definitely lived up to the others.

Kid, 12 years old December 4, 2017

Coco Is Quite Violent and Scary But Is Fantastic.

This film is absolutely amazing, and fits the culture well, however, I wouldn't necessarily say this is a kids film. It deals with heavy subject matter, not only is this about the day of the dead, there's a murder subplot where (this isn't explicitly mentioned, but it's heavily implied as a "substance") a character drugs up another person through some liquor, and kills him. Speaking of Liquor and Drugs, there are plenty you see having a drink while doing something else. (This isn't really touched on too much, though.) Getting back to violence, there are quite a few deaths, and the subject matter of people forgetting their loved ones may be scary. To top this off, they combine those 2 negative elements and make a belief where if no one remembers you, you disappear from the land of the dead, to "an unknown place". In terms of sex, also, several skeletons are seen wearing rather suggestive outfits that seem sexy towards some. Suggested MPAA Rating: PG for Thematic Elements Involving Violence, Some Drinking and Brief Mild Suggestive Content

Kid, 10 years old November 27, 2017

This movie is really well done!

This movie is great for kids who are six and up. It is also great for families to watch altogether. There are intense and emotional scenes in Coco, but overall I thought this movie was really well done.
Teen, 14 years old Written byAdam Atom November 27, 2017

A Fantastic Kids Movie

There's nothing too scary for your young ones, considering this IS Pixar after all.

Kid, 12 years old February 4, 2018

Coco Review

Remember me, though I have to say goodbye, remember me... Stunningly animated adventure is funny, emotional and adorable, all at the same time! The story follows 12 year old Miguel, a boy descended from a music-forbidding family, but who has a unique passion for guitar, and is eager to end up like his idol Ernesto De La Cruz, and follow his road to fame. But though despite his family's hearts set against his ambitions, Miguel tries to find a way to bring musical joy into their lives, and on the way, he finds out he could be related to De La Cruz, he goes up close to De La Cruz's guitar, a forbidden to touch artefact, he ends up in The Land of the Dead, and that is where the drama begins... The language is extremely mild (e.g. stupid, idiot, freak etc), and there are only 1 or 2 potentially frightening scenes (e.g. Death of a loved one, brief poisoning of a major character etc), it is definitely a perfect film for a family with kids from 6 to late 20s and above! And also the musical score is fabulous! I give Coco 4/5 stars, and say it's ok for kids ages 6+.

Teen, 13 years old Written bySpacething7474 December 28, 2017

Good, but tries too hard to be sad.

This movie was a good step up from junk like Zootopia or The Good Dinosaur. However, it tries too hard to be sad and makes it less good than movies like Captain Underpants or Cars 3. It did have a lot of good jokes though, so I recommend parts of it.

Teen, 13 years old Written byWellDontMindMe December 8, 2017

Kind-Hearted, Positive Message, Beautifully Written

This movie has to be one of my favorites. You never get bored, and through many climatic moments there’s still a good message. It’s so beautifully written and I cried about 2 times seeing it in theatres! The animation style is also stunning. The only thing I would have to say is maybe not suitable for ages under 7 because it may get confusing for them at times or it may be too emotional. Overall, a fantastic movie with a great message and lighthearted humour.

Kid, 11 years old December 30, 2017

Very inspirational and touching!

Watching the movie Coco with my parents was an amazing experience. Pixar did a wonderful job portraying the Mexican culture and there were no stereotypical characters. Which is very important because the characters are the foundation to a good story. The plot moved along perfectly and was not at all strung together, it was a soothing flow that made you never want the movie to end. And don't even get me started on the animation! Everything from the opening scene to the end credits is beautifully animated with colorful locations and intricate details included in every frame. The acting was outstanding as well, every line drawing you deeper into the world of Coco! Even the music made me feel alive! This movie is a must see story about family and following your dreams!

Teen, 14 years old Written byKingRobert December 25, 2017

Stunning

Beautifully done

Teen, 15 years old Written byPercy December 23, 2017
As someone who's Mexican, I absolutely loved this! It's my new favorite movie. The songs are catchy, and the fact that they got Latino voice actors is awesome!

Teen, 14 years old Written byHvdvd January 12, 2018

It’s good but

I thinks it’s amazing I don’t think it’s scary some parents say it is but it is a really good family film

Teen, 13 years old Written bySteve 97 December 9, 2017

not the best

I went to see this film with a few of my friends and we all wanted to leave because it was so boring. Many people were saying it was a good film but really skip it
Kid, 11 years old December 9, 2017

Colorful and adorable movie pulls at heartstrings!

I admit, I wasn't so sure about Coco when I walked into the movie theater. It was an animated kids cartoon, which can either be really good and really bad. And judging from the constant TV commercials Coco had, I was pretty sure it was going to be cheesy and boring. But since it's my hobby to rate and review places and productions, I went to see the movie anyways. And boy was I wrong about Coco being boring and cheesy! The movie is very good for kids. Much of the movie is colorful and lively, and there's almost no rude statements in the entire movie! I definitely learned a lot about the Day of the Dead, despite learning all about it in Spanish class. Summary: [SPOILER ALERT] Despite his family's generations-old ban on music, young Miguel dreams of becoming an accomplished musician like his idol Ernesto de la Cruz. Desperate to prove his talent, Miguel finds himself in the stunning and colorful Land of the Dead. After meeting a charming trickster named Héctor, the two new friends embark on an extraordinary journey to unlock the real story behind Miguel's family history. Now for the details you are looking for. Both Miguel and his friends can be defiant and rude, but all learn that, in the end, family comes first, a good lesson for all ages. Although Miguel's family is helpful in him following his dreams and going back home, they could be a little more supportive of his personal dreams and wishes. There's almost no violence, and what there is is cartoon violence and humourous, although there is a rather scary plot twist near the end of the movie that changes everything. There's no sex or swearing, and consumerism is kept to a minimum, even with merchandise. Although wine and other drinks are drunk in some instances, theres still not a ton of drinking. So I would rate this movie for ages two and up. The end even made me cry! If you're considering watching their movie, I would recommend it for all ages! Trust me, you'll enjoy this wonderful fiesta!

Kid, 12 years old November 27, 2017

Great interpretation of Day of the Dead

Usually, the most iconic thing about Day of the Dead for people who don't celebrate it is the skulls. Pixar seems to have taken it to the next level with Coco. I love how they made a really cool story to go with tradition that is so entertaining!!! As a hispanic myself, I think this is a funny movie that moved me to tears. I also love the fact that the grandma actually used the 'chancla' its a common mexican punishment and I like how the producer took it into account. I don't find it offensive at all and my entire family loved it. A must watch!

Teen, 14 years old Written byNadiacloud November 26, 2017

Really great and dark film

I really enjoyed Coco. Loved the concept and all the beautiful imagery. I can tell that Pixar put so much work into this masterpiece. My biggest complaint is how dark it is. I thought it was very brutal when Ernesto De la Cruz got killed by a bell. However, Bravo Pixar!