Kid reviews for Coco

Stunningly animated, poignant tribute to family and culture.

Kid, 12 years old November 27, 2017

Great interpretation of Day of the Dead

Usually, the most iconic thing about Day of the Dead for people who don't celebrate it is the skulls. Pixar seems to have taken it to the next level with Coco. I love how they made a really cool story to go with tradition that is so entertaining!!! As a hispanic myself, I think this is a funny movie that moved me to tears. I also love the fact that the grandma actually used the 'chancla' its a common mexican punishment and I like how the producer took it into account. I don't find it offensive at all and my entire family loved it. A must watch!

Kid, 9 years old December 12, 2017

NOT THAT NICE!!!!!!!

It was a nice movie ,but I think it could be much better.So ,their were some nice movements but I think that the movie could be more long. I think that in this movie there are a lot of relatoins so you need to understand a lot.Any way I think that they tried their best.But i am not satisffied. It could be much better.Ok so enjoy the movie. bye!!!!

Teen, 14 years old Written byHgfbmuigmi March 7, 2018

Quite disappointing, gets too much credit from viewers in my opinion.

Okay, first off, let's talk about the Frozen short that everybody is complaining about: Olaf's Frozen Adventure. Olaf's Frozen Adventure is something I enjoyed, to be honest. It didn't take away from my excitement for the film itself and it was very sweet in my opinion, even though it did drag on for more than it had to. I would watch it again, paying the same price I paid to see Coco. The music was great, as expected. I was humming it when I walked out of the theater. Okay, the main event. Coco. Just to be clear, I'm not a hyper-sensitive kid. But there were times when I found the movie a little too dark. Also, no, I didn't like the movie, but that doesn't mean I walked in thinking I was going to hate it. I'm a BIG Disney fan. I had been waiting for this film for MONTHS. I was very excited to see it, and thought for sure it would be a good movie. So let's talk about the good. This movie, like most Disney movies, sets the mood very quickly. If Frozen got you in the winter-y mood, that wouldn't affect this. In the first few seconds, the film definitely feels Mexican. It also has a very nice plot that was almost perfectly structured. And the music, as always, was amazing, same as the animation. About what you'd expect from Disney and Pixar. However, it's all about the execution, and here's what I didn't like about the film. First of all, Miguel's family is basically what you'll be seeing for the first few minutes of the movie, and they do not leave a good impression. They're shown to be very mean and possibly emotionally abusive. Not likable characters at all, and definitely went overboard. Second, Miguel isn't a perfect protagonist, which I greatly respect, but he does steal a guitar from a museum. This doesn't bother me too much, but somehow, playing said guitar makes him half-dead. Why? I don't remember the movie explaining it ONCE. I'm assuming it's just like how riding the surfboard got Mac and Brady into Wet Side Story in the Disney Channel Original Film, Teen Beach Movie. Not a very good element, but it worked for Teen Beach Movie, so I let it slide. After this, the movie is extremely drawn out. Warning: you WILL get bored after all the exposition has been covered. Just like the short before the movie, it definitely drags on. And yes, just like any Disney film, there's humor. Did I find it funny? No, no I did not. A lot of it was dark humor and just wasn't funny at all, or referenced something from the beginning of the film, which I didn't laugh at because I didn't notice it to begin with. What's scary about this film? Well, thinking about how I would have seen it as a child, almost nothing. But then you have the "big reveal" (spoilers). So, the character that was made out to be Miguel's great-great-grandfather all along actually wasn't (*sarcasm* shocker...) and actually poisoned the character who was made out to be the "tag-along-friend" for the whole movie when they were both living. At this point, I was just watching the movie, like, poison isn't uncommon in TV and movies, so I wasn't really surprised, but then they show a flashback. This flashback, I think, went a little too far for the PG rating. I think it deserves an Extreme-PG rating or something, because this will scare kids. In said flashback, this one character is poisoned (as mentioned previously) and the movie shows him collapsing onto the ground as the flashback fades out and transitions back into the movie. I think that if I saw this when I was a kid under the age of 10, I would have been scared. I'm almost certain of that, actually. The reason why is because I remember seeing a Sailor Moon Stars episode when I was 9 or 10 that had all the sailor guardians trapped in worlds where they would fight Nehelenia and be weakened to the point where they couldn't fight anymore and could be trapped in mirrors. I was fine until I had to watch each character collapse by twos. It genuinely scared me; it's too much for anyone that age. So the movie clearly goes a little too far here. After an epic battle to start the climax of the movie (I have nothing to say about this, it's very well done), Miguel returns to the living world and immediately grabs the guitar from the museum and runs towards his house. Here, I thought "oh, he's going to play 'Remember Me'! What a nice conclusion." And that's not what happened. He ran to his house and begged for his great-grandmother to remember her father instead of playing the song on the guitar that he just STOLE, which would have made her remember. This carries on for far too long, and by the time he actually plays the song, the scene loses its effect and just feels forced. Everything from here on out is perfectly done. The movie would have been much better if it had good pacing and knew when it was going too far. What I do admire about this film is that the message isn't "believe in yourself" or "follow your dreams" or anything like that. It starts out that way, but then, surprisingly, takes a turn and instead the message is "you should follow your dreams...but sometimes there are more important things", "more important things" meaning family and friends. I was really impressed with this. It's too bad the rest of the movie didn't impress me as well. I would also like to add that, in addition to all the amazing animation in this movie, every single one of the notes and chords played on any guitar is correct. This is the first movie to do this and it really impressed me.

Teen, 14 years old Written byChloe.crowder March 3, 2018

Ok movie

Wasn’t my favorite may be of interest to the younger folks but very age appropriate movie

Teen, 13 years old Written byJoibird February 17, 2018

My rating: PG

Really fun movie, with great messages!

Teen, 17 years old Written byAlexander Belaun. April 19, 2018

The best Disney/Pixar movie i've ever seen!!

The movie was very good, i think a lot of people LOVED the movie. I almost went out of the theather because of the Frozen clip, because i thought i got the wrong room!! It was great. I do not recomend to watch it with sensitive kids. It's really sad.

Kid, 12 years old April 15, 2018

The Best Pixar Movie Ever!

This is one of the favorite Pixar movies ever. I don't think the skeletons or the spirits are creepy at all, however, I think the great-grandma is kind of scary.
Teen, 14 years old Written byMissBookaHolic April 7, 2018

Sweet, cultural, and heartwarming

Coco is stunningly animated and with richly developed plot that stands out from the other family movies out there. The characters stay in you long after the movie closes, and the story pulls heartstrings.

Kid, 11 years old April 5, 2018

Great movie

Some people think that it is a rip-off of the book of life, but it's not. It's complety different. Just beacuse Disney and Pixar made two movies about the same culture doesn't mean they copied the ideas! In one part, a guy drugs achocol so there is that.

Kid, 12 years old April 4, 2018

Amazing movie!

Pixar truly never disappoints. Coco is such a wonderful film. It has a great storyline, great characters, excellent music, and beautiful animation! It also educates non-Mexican viewers about Mexican culture, and many Mexicans and Mexican-Americans have praised Coco for its accurate representation of their culture. In particular, I was impressed with the scene where the main character, Miguel, watches his favorite musician play the guitar attempts to learn every bit of the song he's playing on guitar. As a musician, I was very impressed with the care that the animators took to make sure the chords were exact. The voice acting in this movie is amazing, especially from newcomer Anthony Gonzalez, who has a bright future ahead of him. I didn't think this movie was scary at all, but it is pretty sad, so if your kid isn't fond of sad movies, then this movie isn't for them. The message is great, and not at all the generic "follow your dreams and don't let anything stop you!" message I was expecting. All in all, see this movie!

Kid, 11 years old April 2, 2018

AMAZING

soo heartwarming

Kid, 12 years old March 27, 2018
I like this a lot. It's a little embarrassing in some spots, though ("nude" skeleton etc) and it's kind of scary maybe for little kids. It also has some drinking. But it has a great message and made me want to remember my ancestors and stuff. And the music and plot are really good.

Kid, 12 years old March 26, 2018

Beautiful, Saddest Movie I've ever seen

Coco is a beautiful movie that has great characters, wonderful songs, and a story that made me cry. It teaches about the importance of family and about dia de los muertos (day of the dead)

Teen, 13 years old Written byLaxGirl13 March 22, 2018

Amazing!

This movie is fun for the whole family. My younger siblings and even my dad liked it a lot! It has beautiful animation and a great storyline, as well as teaching kids about the holidays in other cultures.
Kid, 9 years old March 21, 2018

great movie

okay kinda like frozen. but over all good. reminded me of a ninjago ep from s 5. good music. that remember me song was good. and yet a week later i went to target. and there the song was. stupid was like the focus word

Teen, 16 years old Written bypineless10 March 21, 2018

Adored this movie!

I'm not one for animated movies, so when my parents and sister dragged me to this movie, I had my doubts, but this movie is amazing! That being said, this movie can be disturbing to children. *spoilers here* The play revolves around a boy who accidentally travels to the land of the dead after getting into a fight with his family. There are skeletons, family yelling at the younger boy, and later revealed that Miguel's great-grandfather was poisoned by his best friend, which stopped him from getting back to his wife and child. They do show a sort of flashback of this poison scene, so if your child is sensitive, this could scare them. All of that aside, this movie is a really great movie about the importance of family and music. I would recommend this movie to anyone with older children or children who are prepared/emotionally strong enough to handle this movie.

Teen, 14 years old Written byNadia Cloud March 20, 2018

Really beautiful film but very scary for minors.

Coco was an amazing film. Had a great storyline, outstanding imagery, and compelling characters. I think that kids should not watch it because it is very dark and scary and a character dies from drinking alcohol. I definitely recommend this to people 17 and up.

Kid, 9 years old March 16, 2018

Wonderfully animated film may be scary for sensitive kids

I saw Coco with my sister and dad and all three of us loved it! Coco is about a boy named Miguel who loves music and playing instruments, but whose family isn’t supportive of his dream to become a musician. It has some elements that you’ll see in any typical Disney movie, but it goes deeper and has more depth than some other fairy-tale or Disney adaptations. The movie was amazingly animated, and some of the visual effects onscreen were out- of -this -world, just positively breathtaking. I am not usually a huge Disney fan unlike some other people I know, but I will admit that this is one of my favorite 2017 movies. Coco won the 2018 Oscar for best animated and I think this movie deserved that award, for both the plot and the animation. There are some bad reviews on this site about Coco, but any negative reviews are wrong! I respect the idea that everyone’s opinions should be respected, but I can’t come up with even one reason why someone wouldn’t like Coco. Parents should know that the mature content includes some drinking, about 3 out of 5, flashbacks to a murder (by poisoning), and the fact that the family in the movie is not supportive of their son’s dream might be upsetting to sensitive viewers or movie viewers under 7+. So if your kid is sensitive you might want to wait until a) they are older b)Coco comes out on DVD, c)the kid is more mature. But if your kid is interested in this film, I recommend that you let them see it if you think they can handle it. This movie is great for all ages, kids and adults. Some of the elements of fantasy, educational value, characters, plot elements, and animation may not appeal to adults at beginning, but once you learn more about Coco the appeal is so strong you’ll probably want to watch it over and over again. I am impressed by the voice actors and the animators who worked on this movie. The world would benefit from seeing movies like this more often. If anything, Coco is definitely a diverse film. Movies that highlight the Mexican culture in a kid-appropriate PG film that has some scares and suspense like Coco does, I definitely call diverse in a very good way. Coco is a stand-alone movie, and there really is no other movie like it. I enjoyed this film very much and I hope to see it over and over again. Now, for parents who are concerned: I agree that some content is mature, and may be more than your kids are used too, but you should know that the good content overwhelms the bad. This may seem a bit weird, but some of the inappropriate stuff in this film will be hard to understand for younger kids and they may not even realize it is inappropriate for them. Coco provokes many discussions and is something everyone should see.

Teen, 17 years old Written byPipeCine March 11, 2018

Death has never before been so alive

Miguel, an aspiring musician kid, runs around between colorful Mexican alleys with folkloric varieties of footwear, handmade by his family, who considers shoemaking business as the absolute job of each congener from generation to generation. Sadly, all his dreams will be interrupted by the unshakable family aversion to any minimum melody coming from an instrument; music has been radically abolished as a result of a fatal event of the past. Confused, brimming with different future plans and dangerously wrathful by the demands of his family, Miguel will be involved in a fantastic adventure, impressively deep, against time by festive landscapes of an enigmatic second dimension, one in which the deceased beings reside, those who remain semi-alive thanks to the memories of the living humans. Without any remorse, it could be said that the last Walt Disney Animation Studios & Pixar Animation Studios big bet took place almost one year ago with "Moana" by Ron Clements and John Musker, overlooking Brian Fee's irregular directional debut in summer flick "Cars 3." Almost 365 days of waiting provoked that the expectations to see the new original idea of the perfectionist studio were boosted without a break, and as they were unlocking fine details about the work, the audience demands got harder disproportionately. Needless to say, when the prior film raises the bar at a fairly high level, expectations embrace a difficult range of overcoming, the criteria for reviewing this audiovisual work were hardened in a way that it would only be considered really good if only meet the needs of the toughest public. To the delight of everybody, the newest incursion in animation genre by Disney doesn't simply meet the demands before a damn good-looking visual section, the best part comes from the charm of its characters and the substantial plot proposal that can be a long subject of debate and analysis. Computer animation has a host of genuinely creative possibilities. Over the years, thousands of silver screens have projected hundreds of stories which reflect the diversity of ideas and thoughts that can be extracted from a human mind. Within this interminable catalogue of film opportunities, the vast range of global cultures shines by itself in the visual field and despite the studio has tried to circumscribe most of its films in American environments, also gave free rein the screenwriters, resulting in small gems as "Mulan", "Aladdin" and, now "Coco". Oscar-winner Lee Unkrich and Seattle Film Critics Award-winner Adrian Molina seem to be consolidated as the kings of the present-day animation because, through the "hypothetical" inequality of years working in the field, they have achieved, in a magnificent way, to synthesize the characteristics with greater sensitivity and affinity from their previous works to use them in a plausible co-direction that allows the film to be what it is. Likewise, it was an outstanding job what they did with the general draft or/and the original story that plays a vital role for the success of the idea, in which it's possible to catch respectful and fresh reference parallelisms to certain functional aspects present in prior flicks such as the independence representation from "Finding Nemo", the overcoming of a specific problem in a gracefully dynamic way from "Monsters, Inc", and, of course, the most perceptible, an emotional and severe final message coming together harsh reality from "Toy Story 3." Additional to the aforementioned two directors-screenwriters, names of the caliber of Jason Katz and Matthew Aldrich stand out in the writing for their prestige and recognition in the company, leaving, as a result, an Aldrich-Molina explosive mix that provokes the correct working of the powerhouse script. Encompassing or synthesizing the valuable teachings of this movie is an impossible task, given that it drops them according to how the facts are happening, however, it's possible to notice edifying advises geared the unstoppable chase for a dream, responsibility that this act requires, love of and for the family, the reminder that evil still is out there waiting for an affable figure, probity, humility, the power of goodness and, of course, death. The latter subject is clearly the central concept with which the film manages to surpass some barriers, while at the same time, it's the one entailing a harder complexity. Although with the advent of modern ideologies and, consequently, relegation of the more traditional customs, this phenomenon has been shown a considerable decline, over the years, a blacklist on utmost-importance-but-sensitive-treatment subjects has been in the pipeline, themes that nobody dares to address, a series of matters which, for different reasons, are kept under an invisible but practicable veto by studio blockbusters and medium-budget movies, which prefer to avoid them because of the labile and perilous result that would mean a false step; taboos or not, these subjects would mean for any major film studio a daring position of "all or nothing." Homosexuality, political divisions, massive attacks or tragic events, social conjunctures, crude indecent language, explicit violence, euthanasia, suicide or murder compose a long list from which no one mentions. Now, if for an adult mind is really cumbersome to digest films of this kind, it's understandable that a young mind wouldn't endure even one-half of this content. However, in the case of this animated feature film, death, an openly polarizing subject at present, has got a subtle, clever treatment in order to capture, in a fantastic way, the truth hiding the loss of a loved one, using accessible analogies which stir up a proactive unique masterclass in core plot idea development. About this, the whole film moves with a comfortable margin among corny drama and circumstantial comical situations that achieve, within all that unreal and hopeful context, reflect difficult and pure reality, leaning, with respect, in the ideal Mexican holiday that fits perfectly with the leitmotiv. It's clear that what makes easier the excellent final cut is the charisma and the particular essence of the story and its characters, they are pawns serving as a bridge between message and audience. And, in addition to the fundamental role played by screenwriters, the subsequent movie weight lies in the vocal skills of actors, they must transmit a set of emotions and sensations through sound, through voice. Among the agglomerate of the cast, as well as the crew, unequivocally Latin names shine, which is its second greatest strong point: the opening to a new original culture. Anthony Gonzalez, Benjamin Bratt, Jaime Camil, Ana Ofelia Murguía and "Mozart in the Jungle" actor Gael García Bernal lead the mission of lifting their homeland up, their traditions, their voices, their needs, and now is the perfect time for a movie like this, one in which the Mexican territory is the setting for action; it must be heard not only by American ears but by everyone in this world, as an example of moving on, friendship, union; It is no secret that between country and country, hostile walls have been erected, for the moment "supposed", on economic, political and social relations; the "Make America Great Again" slogan has stoked a dangerous flame of egocentricity and intolerance that threatens the lives of thousands of either legal or illegal inmigrant, and although it's a really serious bussines, it's applaudable that from an artistic scenario begin to give the first hopeful blows to break a full-hatred wall down. And "Coco", even though its story has nothing to do with this complicated conflict at first glance, manages to raise a short but grateful criticism. To sum it all up, the film works in many ways, keeps strong messages for all ages, each spectator can extract whatever it wants from an adventure that is consolidated as the animated motion picture of the year. Creatively, the film uses its tools in a way that exhibits the meticulous quality showed in the Pixar works. It follows the patterns of introduction and development evidenced in previous works, and although the most assiduous film buffs can feel repetitive this prototype, it's always estimable the effort to dodge the traditional through stories that transcend narrative barriers, unequivocally, through emotional scripts. While the first two acts are a complete enjoyment, the highlight is reserved for the final part because "Coco" has the luxury of having the second more emotionally disturbing and sentimentally dramatic climax in an animated film of the 21st century, only behind, no doubt, "Toy Story 3". It's overwhelming the set of emotions that an audiovisual extremely glorious moment can convey audience, one that has been fire engraved in the annals of cinema, one that will ensure the presence of hankies. Although for many spectators can feel it anticlimactic and abrupt, this ending combines, perfectly, with the atmosphere of the narrative, revealing vigor and longevity that Disney maintains to date. The visual section is a whole other story. After a beautiful graphic simplicity coming from "Cars 3", the studio goes back roots and decides to bet on sharply-meticulous landscapes again, using as tools bright colors, colorful textures and confections that are going to leave you open-mouthed, maybe, that's why many film attendees come to the theaters with each new release, they're aware of the dimensions of tidiness and the labor demands that the company portrays through its continuous masterpieces. In the same way, the sound aspect excels in counted periods, however, in which it succeeds, it does it in an unbeatable way. Although it does not reach near-perfect scores as Lin-Manuel Miranda's melodies for "Moana" or Randy Newman's for "Toy Story", the film extracts what can most of these in the drama set-pieces, undoubtedly highlighting "Remember Me" by Kristen Anderson-Lopez and Robert Lopez, which climatizes the most powerful emotional moment in the movie. "Coco" by Lee Unkrich and Adrian Molina condenses a wide range of American cinema's strangeness and traditional elements, delivering the animated audiovisual work of the year par excellence. This enjoyable and deeply touching Magnum opus has reserved a gold place in the most prestigious movie awards, however, beyond critic acclaims or awards, its creators must feel fully fortunate that their film has gained a little piece of memory and love in the heads and hearts of millions and millions of people, perhaps, just like I did. We can breathe a sigh of relief, Disney pics keep to signify learning pillars for the growth of many people.

Kid, 10 years old March 9, 2018

The best movie i have ever seen in my entire life!

Coco is an amazing heartwarming tale of a five generation family in mexico that hates music, all except for one boy, Miguel, who loves it. Miguel goes on a journey to find his great great grandfather to get his blessing and go back home after accidentally bringing himself to the spirit world. Definitely a must see and worth your money!